Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen Lip Balm SPF 50

3.0

on 6/27/2014 1:25:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I bought it about a month or less ago because it has a high level of sun protection. I have lips that dry and peel easily and this lip balm didn't really have much moisture. I had to use a different lip balm to help moisturize my lips. I am not sure if it really protected me from the sun but I wasn't going to risk it (so I still put it on ). When I put this lip balm on some of it gets inside my mouth and gives me this unpleasant taste.

on 6/15/2014 9:24:00 PM

I bought this because it was one of Beautypedia's top lip balms w/ a high spf, and it was only like three bucks. I guess it's practical because of the SPF 50, but it doesn't feel like practicality is reason enough for me to buy it again. Prior to this I was using Blistex Deep Renewal (and you can read my review on it if you're so inclined), which felt like silk on my lips and had SPF 30. I know that this is really a sport performance product, so maybe I shouldn't compare it to my Blistex, but it just doesn't feel like I'm doing anything for my lips. It doesn't feel luxurious or pleasant, it's just kind of there (for a few minutes anyway).

It feels kind of thin but gritty, and I can feel some sort of graininess against my lips. It also feels like it disappears after 20 minutes or so. Maybe it soaks into your lips, but my lips don't feel particularly moisturized, and if you don't feel it how do you know it's there and it's working?

I think the intent of Banana Boat was to provide a utilitarian product so you could be out there on the beach playing volleyball all day and not damage your lips, and kudos to them for that. But you need SPF every day, not just when you're playing sports! And yes, the balm is gender-neutral but men want their lips to actually FEEL soft and hydrated as much as we do. I think they should've considered that and made the product not just practical, but pleasant to use even when you're not swimming or running or whatever. I'm going to use up the two balms from Banana Boat and go back to my Blistex Deep Renewal.

Popular Lip Treatments