October 21, 2014 | 1659 users online

Eyeliner - Smashbox - Always Sharp Waterproof Kohl Liner

rated 2 of 5 on 10/17/2014 7:59:00 PM More reviews by SmillaGirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I hate this. The liner is average, it's not very "sharp" and there's hardly any product. No way will I buy this again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2014 12:08:00 AM More reviews by msdi2u

Surprised by all the negative reviews, because I love this product. I bought two of these liners about 2 weeks ago on impulse. I purchased French Navy and Sumatra (rich dark brown), then came home and read the reviews on this liner and thought I'd better hold on to my receipt! Yikes! All negative, pretty much, and a low rating to boot. Started using the pencils immediately, and have since fallen in love. I think these liners are incredible! I think I am most shocked at the fact that they are by Smashbox, because in the past I have had less than good experiences with Smashbox products. The only thing I have had to get used to about these automatic pencil liners is the fact that the cap needs to be twisted off instead of tugged off like most pencil eyeliners, but I think I am finally getting the hang of it. Besides that, I like that the pencil point is always sharp- so I get to draw a nice, thin line and thicken it where it needs to be with no problem. The pencil is soft so it does not tug on my wrinkly eyelids, and it sets really quickly. I always use eye primer or eyeshadow, first, and then line my eyes afterwards; and I have had no problems with this liner migrating, smearing, smudging, fading or disappearing. For the past few weeks, I have been VERY impressed! It is my go-to eyeliner pencil that I have come to rely on for quick application and performance. So far, things have been going so great with this eyeliner that I am thinking of buying it in black. So yes, I will definitely be buying another. :)

EDIT: Well, I have to agree with previous reviewers and change my rating on this. The pencil's performance is very good, and I love the self-sharpening concept.
BUT- for $20, there is hardly any product inside this over-sized applicator. This is one of the longest pencils I own, but the product inside contains less than an inch of product! I have had mine less than a month, and the pencil will not advance anymore. Makes me believe that I have run out of product already, and for the amount of times I have used this, I find it ridiculous that there is no more product left! It is appalling to spend so much money for this and to have it run out in such a short period of time! Shame on Smashbox! I knew this seemed too good to be true. =o(

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2014 6:59:00 PM More reviews by jmara

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My review may seem contradictory, since I would not buy this eyeliner again due a) to the price and b) it being so long it doesn't quite fit into my make-up drawer.

Having said that, I find this liner - I have it in both Storm and French Navy - a very good product. I like the thin line, I like how it lasts all day, I like that it's truly tear-proof and waterproof. And I like the subdued, elegant colors. So far (and I use these almost daily) I have not had any problems with the sharpening mechanism at all. The product is very pricey, but it doesn't look like it's running out - yet. I may edit my review if it does that too soon.

Overall, I'm a happy customer.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2014 9:22:00 AM More reviews by Boxbits

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Excellent concept, but poor execution. I did not experience the problems detailed by others below, but found that this eyeliner migrated all over my lids making it utterly unusable.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2014 4:52:00 AM More reviews by Elfinoz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This was an impulse buy that turned out to be a winner for me. I seem to be one of the few people who hasn't had trouble with the sharpening mechanism not working after a short period of time. Personally I prefer gel eyeliners to pencils but I couldn't get the brand & colour I usually buy and bought this to try instead. It holds up reasonably well but still not as well as the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner I normally use. This does have the benefit of not setting as quickly as a gel so you have more time to blend. All the problems other people have had with the sharpening mechanism are a bit of a worry and while I have been happy with this one I bought I will probably not buy again due to the issues others have had and the fact that I would prefer a gel eyeliner anyway.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/10/2014 1:30:00 AM More reviews by Devotee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I had the same experience as the other reviewers. After a few weeks, the mechanism stopped working and that was that. I bought it in Cabana, a gorgeous shade of sea green. But given how long it works, this is the most expensive eyeliner in the world. Do something about this crappy packaging, Smashbox!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2014 11:48:00 AM More reviews by ammit1984

HUGE SHAME!!

I purchased in Sumatra and I implore you - do not waste your money! Just don't!!
16 I paid and this eyeliner lasted me 2 weeks!!!

If you don't believe me just go on the Smashbox website and look at all the equally angry customers leaving reviews saying the same thing.

I would give this 4 stars for how gorgeous the colour is, how smooth the application is and also how lovely and sturdy the packaging is. The always sharp mechanism is awesome...until it jams up and stops letting you dispense liner...either that or it has just wasted so much it's run out.
I have a useless eyeliner now and it won't push up anymore from the tube. If it's run out that's appalling, if it hasn't then it's still appalling.
I am fuming mad!! I have never left such a scathing review so please Smashbox, fix this design flaw and give us this formula without the awful wastage and short life span.

As they say: It was good while it lasted.

NB: As if it matters, yes this is waterproof but does smudge a bit, but I found it a lovely formula and it comes in lots of colours.

WAAA!! SAD FACE!!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2014 7:34:00 PM More reviews by noseofblue

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a soft crayon liner with a sharpener built into the cap. Every time you twist the cap on and then off, it sharpens the pencil. I like the idea a lot, but the point doesn't get sharp enough for anything but tightlining or lining the inner rim. That said, it's very good for that. I bought it in Storm, which is a gray that shows up well but gives a softer look than black.

I used it up way too quickly. I've NEVER had an eyeliner go anything close to this fast, making it way more expensive than it otherwise is.

Honestly not sure whether I'll buy another.