February 27, 2015 | 1062 users online

Lip Gloss - Revlon - Colorstay Moisture Stain

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2015 6:49:00 PM More reviews by lolarica

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have this is in three shades--Barcelona Nights, New York Scene, and Cannes Crush. BN, a classic bright, somewhat warm-toned pink, was my first purchase this past summer. It is a little scary/neon-looking on the applicator, but when applied properly (more below) it stains to a gorgeous, more muted, yet quite enlivening, shade. NYS I purchased mostly because Lisa Eldridge used it in a recent video. ;) It performs exactly the same as BN. The product itself comes out a little bit more berry-toned than the tube color would suggest--however, I'd definitely still call it a red, and a stunning, easy-to-wear one at that. My most recent purchase (in freezing cold, snowy February!) was CC, a summery coral. This applies a little sheerer than the other two, but the color is absolutely gorgeous and the formula still stains--more orange than pink, which I really like.

I think this product gets mixed reviews because there is a little trick to application. If you're applying it full-on from the applicator, I don't think many people would get on well with it, as it goes on kind of thick, splotchy, and hard to control. However, as others have suggested, I find blotting it on lightly, spreading with my fingertips, rubbing my lips together to "set" the stain, and adding an optional second coat for greater opacity/pigmentation has been perfect for the two shades I have (which, granted, are on the more pigmented end of the spectrum--I don't know how the lighter/more neutral shades perform in this manner). This all seems a bit high maintenance, but it doesn't take long, and given that it truly does stain and has great staying power (plus, weirdly, a little bit of sheen stays on too, yet it doesn't transfer like lip gloss does?!?! MAGIC!), I think it's well worth the extra effort. It doesn't smell lovely when applying, but I don't find it offensive either, and for me the smell dissipates once it's fully applied to the lips.

The packaging is great--the rectangular, almost Art Deco-y container is really chic, and the angled applicator gives great control if you want to use it for lip lining. Side note: This is one of the most expensive Revlon lip product I've seen, BUT it's frequently on sale, with coupons too! I'll definitely be trying more shades.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2015 5:27:00 PM More reviews by noname101

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great product and I am surprised by the ratings

1) dot it onto bottom lip and blend with finger tip

2) It should create a sheer stain/wash

3) it works great for me also as a blush. I use what is left on my fingers and it looks great.

I really enjoy my New York Moment. It creates a naturalish look on the lip and feels good.

one problem is that the packaging gets messy when you put the applicator back into the tub, which is gross. I've tried to clean it and it still leaks out, almost overflowing from the tube.

I hate that.

But overall I love this and would definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2015 11:13:00 PM More reviews by Wezo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is an interesting product. I found myself not instantly impressed with this product (mostly for the application process) but with a little patience and time for it to settle, I really liked the result.
There are quite a few reviews complaining of the glue-like smell and texture. I do agree with this - the smell was 'gluey' and when initially applying, it streaked and skipped much like glue or paint over a waxy surface. That being said, I was determined to persevere because I loved the colour 'Milan Moment.' All I did was spend more time swiping the applicator and smoothing the product over my lips, then gently tapping my lips together until it looked even - then after letting it dry for a few minutes, the results were really lovely and long-lasting. The colour does dry slightly lighter and the smell also disappeared.
I liked the end result enough that I also purchased 'Miami Fever' (bright orange) and 'Cannes Crush' (pinky coral).
So although I wouldn't apply this without a mirror or while I was in a rush, I do like this product - it really looks lovely when it settles. I would just love to see it refined to iron out those application and glue-smell issues.Particularly since they are $23 here in Australia.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2015 10:38:00 AM More reviews by iron_goddess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I bought this on a Buy 1 Take 1 promo so it was a good deal. I have it in New York Scene, a bright crimson and Parisian Passion, a dark purple berry shade. New York Scene yields a fantastic color that suits my NC30 skin. Parisian Passion is ok but tends to be patchy after a few minutes. This thing is pretty wet upon application and remains slick the entire time. It looks great for the first 30 minutes. Glossy vibrant lips without the sticky lip gloss feel. But once you start talking, eating and doing stuff humans do, it begins to move until you have a ring around your lips. Also this tends to transfer onto everything. But I am happy with New York Scene (so far, granted it's only day 1). As for the pinks, L'Oreal does them way better with its Shine Caresse Stain line.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2015 5:17:00 PM More reviews by MUAsAlbino

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

These were awful. My biggest issue with them is they all apply like glue on your lips leaving streaks behind. I tried working with it but there is no way to fix a gloss that's composed of an awful formula. Additionally, the shades are all so...ugly. There is no suitable color for a pale girl. The closest was London Posh, which pulled bright orange upon applying it to my lips. The rest of the collection is also neon toned. No thanks.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2015 2:56:00 PM More reviews by SuzanneDee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have this is in New York Scene. The best thing about the formula is that one swipe looks like gloss. Two layers looks like there is lipstick underneath. It's not sticky, not heavy and it fades evenly after 4 hours to a pink stain. On me (I match nc 42 in Mac) this is a nice warm berry, not a harsh fuchsia, not a dated maroon. It's a nice pick for the office and with a second coat, for after hours.
It's not very longwearing though... despite being from the ColorStay range. It transfers on everything! And if you're the one doing the washing up, you'd best not leave marks on a coffee cup or wineglass - such a pain to clean. If you haven't got these, you're not missing much.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2015 4:21:00 PM More reviews by kristinmarie11

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought the pretty red color called New Your Scene. Packaging pretty, price point fine, product is terrible. This "stain" felt like weird goop and looked patchy while I was putting it on!!! I could not believe how uneven it was. And I am shocked that this has the word "moisture" anywhere on it! This will leave your lips dry dry dry. It applies, feels and wears off terribly. No.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2015 5:48:00 PM More reviews by Tacoramackenzie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this, but it will get everywhere if you don't use a liner and let it dry. Pretty as a stain, not as much if you want it to stay wet like some people do. Really like the colors

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2014 10:58:00 AM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got two of these as a gift from my MIL - Parisian Passion (deep plum/berry) and Barcelona Nights (bright, warm pink). And I love them.
I have purchased the YSL gloss stains in the past, and while I do feel YSL has a far better color selection, I feel these Revlon gloss stains outperform them by a long shot. They are far more hydrating, have better color payoff, and when they do fade (which can take a while), they do so evenly. Also, the glossy layer stays a lot longer than the YSL stains.
The packaging is simple and utilitarian-chic, and boasts a very smart, pointed applicator that, like the YSL stains, I feel is perfect for getting into the tight corners and perfecting the cupids bow. The cap screws on firmly, and overall, this feels sturdy enough to keep in my bag without fear of it bursting open.
The price, from what I've seen, varies from $8 at Target to around $10 at places like CVS. Seems like a good bargain, considering the pricetag of their higher-end counterparts.
Definitely loving these!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/29/2014 4:52:00 PM More reviews by Coebags

I was really torn between these Revlon stains and the YSL. Money is tight so I gave these a go. I got the London chic as I like my nude colours. I am really disappointed with the formula, it doesn't give even coverage, you have to apply a lot of product and rubbing the lips together but even then it went quite bitty. I have heard that some of them are really good and others have the same formula as the one I have so its not necessarily all of them.