Boots Botanics Shine Away Foundation

(Skip if you don't care about my previous products and why I switched) For a "drug store" foundation, this is one I always run back to. For the longest time I had been using the L'oreal Lumi foundation in W1-2 but found that it always left me shiny and my pores were accentuated as well. So I switched to Sonia Kashuk's Perfecting Luminous Foundation in the lightest shade Bisque. I used about 2 bottles in a month because it only contains .6 oz instead of the usual 1 oz that you would find with most foundations. I loved the foundation but decided to try another route because my breakouts were strong and my foundation color was just not matching my neck.

Found myself looking at Boots No. 7 brand and Boots Botanics Shine Away. It took about 5 minutes for this store consultant for Boots to sell me on the product. She took two foundation, one from No. 7 and one from Botanics, took the inside of my wrist and swatched both. In about 15 seconds, the No. 7 foundation oxidized and became more orange in color while the Botanics Shine Away stayed true to color.

I got it in the color Vanilla and I've been using it for about a month. I've had a reduction in breakouts and my skin looks more natural than it ever has. I apply this product with a latex free sponge (found at Target). It has good coverage and I don't find myself nearly as shiny as I normally would with other foundations. The color of this foundation is more neutral and much less yellow or pink toned than other foundations which may wash your skintone out and make you look sick or just tired. I like to mix in other foundations with color to improve the tone.

For a setting powder, I usually turn to ELF's translucent powder. However, it can be quite chalky and literally white in appearance. Even with a setting spray, I still looked ghostly or sick. So again, the consultant sold me on the Boots Botanics Lighter Than Air translucent setting powder. Opened this stuff in my car on a bright and sunny day and it looked like a pixi had sneezed. Light and glittery. At first I was very afraid...until I tried it with the foundation. The two are a perfect match. I no longer struggle with the appearance of pores and my shine is away for most of the day and at worst looks like I naturally have just had a long day. I've even worn this stuff through a nap and completely forgot that I had foundation on...the only indicator being that my blemishes were still covered.

I'm going to start diving more into the Boots Botanics skin care line as well. My first Boots Botanics products were the All Bright Radiance Serum and one of their face washes. I think both have done a lovely job at replenishing the natural look of my skin. I like that you can tell when a brand is doing something good for your skin instead of bad.

on 5/15/2014 1:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wanted a oil-control foundation and already loved Boots' Protect and Perfect foundation. This is a lot thicker and made me look chalky. Not wanting to waste it, I tried mixing it with the P&P foundation and now I LOVE it!!!!!! If you have any dry areas on your face, I'd be careful about using this. I rated this a 3 because it's purpose is "shine away" and I haven't seen much of a success in that area and I've been using it for over a month.