August 22, 2014 | 1992 users online

Eye Shadow - Bobbi Brown - Raw Sugar Shimmer Brick for Eyes

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2014 4:24:00 AM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this! This has everything I need for springy/summer looks. They are fairly pigmented, but can all be used as a sheer wash over the lid - and none are super frosty or glittery. Each shade is a variation of a beautiful bronze-y/gold/champagne shade that looks just amazing. Texture is buttery. They last very well, over six hours (I use a primer though). No shade is garish on me or crazy looking - just muted, sexy and beautiful. So glad I bought this and sorry it is LE. This will be my go-to eye palette for the next few months for sure.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2014 7:32:00 PM More reviews by julia178

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Bobbi Brown has launched several of these mini shimmer bricks for eyes over the years - they had names such as Beach, Seashell, Sequin, and in the palette each looked like a pretty rainbow of shimmery shadows. I found that from the first one to this latest release the quality of the shadows has clearly improved with regard to their color payoff when applied. The first one was a complete "FrostFest" - to my great surprise all the shadows showed up pretty much the same - as a greyish silver frost, disappointing, and not a good look. While each of these palettes featured strips in 10 colors that appeared distinctly different in the palette there was simply no color payoff. The 2014 Raw Sugar release has a bronze theme and the shadows are actually buttery soft and of wonderful quality. There are shades of gold, bronze and copper of different color depth and they are beautiful to apply and blend too. I have worn the shadows with primer and an ivory powder shadow as base, as well as on BB's long wear cream shadow in Shore, which is a light peachy sand. I have seen several blog entries where users of this palette had issues with the packaging quality, for instance palette inserts falling apart upon first use. The previous reviewer also mentions this. Sadly, I also found that the line's recent eye shadow palette releases were hit or miss. There were a few issues with packaging, but even more so with the shadow being chalky, low in pigment, hard to blend or having lots of fallout. These are all issues one might tolerate if prices were really low, but not with a high end line. That said, I have not had any issues with the Raw Sugar palette and I am very happy with this purchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2014 10:06:00 PM More reviews by MissusJones

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I was a big fan of the Sequin Shimmer Brick for Eyes (Holiday 2013) so I was excited to learn Bobbi Brown was doing a version for Summer '14 as well. I ordered it as soon as it was released, but when it arrived, I was not nearly as happy as I had hoped. First off, the shades look nothing like the promo pics or the stock photos. They show neutral browns and bronze shades with some pinky browns thrown in as well. In reality half of the palette is very warm with the first 4 shades pulling varying degrees of orange. The last 5 shades are a bit more neutral and much more wearable for me (there is one shade with a hint of pink)...but it stinks only being able to use half of the palette, not BB's fault, I know...but more accurate stock photos would have been nice.
As for the texture and payoff of this palette...I wish all of BB's recent palettes had the pigmentation and nice texture that this one has! The shadows apply nicely, blend nicely, and are quite good overall. If I were to base this review on eyeshadow quality alone I'd give it 4 lippies, taking one off for a bit of fallout that does happen and also the lighter shades are quite frosty. Some people are complaining because all of the shades are shimmery...but hello? It's called a SHIMMER brick for eyes! LOL!! There is no glitter or chunky sparkle...another plus. The size is small, not nearly the monolithic size of the regular shimmer bricks.
My main complaint is this: the packaging (at least on mine) was cheap and fell apart. I opened it for the first time and the entire pan tumbled out...thank goodness for quick reflexes! There was a tiny spot of glue down in the well that wasn't tacky in the least and the pan had never touched it. I glued it back down myself, but for a $50 palette, I shouldn't have to worry about complete pan failure during the first opening. Even now that the pan is glued in, the compact feels loose/cheap and is wobbly whereas my Sequin shimmer brick palette is nice and sturdy. I expect more from a brand like Bobbi Brown as well as any brand at this price point. Overall, it's wearable and pretty, but the shades really just aren't that unique. If you like to collect this sort of LE item, it's a fun one to pick up...but in my opinion it's not worth $50.