July 26, 2014 | 942 users online

Skincare - Face - MD Formulations - Illuminating Serum

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2010 4:48:00 AM More reviews by skim1017

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used this a few years ago and began using it again recently after a disastrous experience with Clinique's Even Better Clinical, which clogged my pores and broke me out (apparently, many reviewers had the same reaction to that product). This won't do anything for severe hyperpigmentation issues, but it evens out your skin tone and keeps your skin clear without being too harsh. It stings slightly when you first put it on, but I've never had any adverse reactions to it. It also helps to use it in conjunction with other MD Formulations products, such as the Facial Cleanser and Moisture Defense Antioxidant Creme. As a few reviewers wrote below, it may seem that this product stops working after a while, but you will notice a substantial difference in your complexion during the first few weeks of use.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2009 11:26:00 PM More reviews by Wendy1954

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is OK. I felt some tingling when I first applied this but after almost two months--nothing. It's a bit sticky so apply and wait before going to bed.I think there was some slight brightening but nothing to justify the price or me buying it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2009 5:28:00 PM More reviews by anguyent

I used this a few years ago when I noticed I would get bumps on my face in the spring and summer. They weren't pimples so I guessed they were clogged pores. At the time I was working at a spa and my coworker suggested it to me. I also have asian skin and have hyperpigmentation. This product claims to help with that too but I didn't really notice a difference. I really liked this product and noticed that it would give me a glowy, smooth, and even complexion. It helped clear the bumps on my forehead. I always got many compliments on my skin too. I would definetely repurchase it was cheaper. This product helped me get hooked on products with AHA's. I know use Alpha Hydrox products (way cheaper) which do the job but not as well as this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/21/2008 8:37:00 AM More reviews by katebrown

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I had a tester size of it and was using it for about 10 days. My skin didn't get any bad reaction. My clothes and bedsheets did. Yellow stuff, very difficult to wash off! O_o

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2005 1:09:00 AM More reviews by tmf1969

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I received a delux sample from DermaDoctor.com. I have sensitive skin which in the past was very reactive to any glycolic and retinol product. Nonethelss, I was hesitant to try this product out. Hearing very positive things about this line from friends and reviews here at MA, I decided to give this product a whirl.

Not only did this serum not break me out or irritate my skin, but it helped shrink my pores, cleared some blackheads and helped fade some blemish marks I had. I have been using the sample every other night in conjunction with Kinerase Cream and I have noticed a significant improvement with my skin. My skin did become a bit flaky, however a gentle scrub did the trick. My moisturizer and Kinerase Cream have also become more effective since using the Illuminating Serum.

As mentioned in other reviews, the only draw back is the price...$65 for 1 oz! However, only a small amount is needed. I can't really comment on the packaging as I have been using a sample packet. Since my skin is sensitive, I plan to continue to use on alternating nights with Kinerase so it's safe to assume this product should last me at least 2-3 months. For me, it worked like a charm and I saw results within two weeks in using the sample; $65 is justifiable for such a good product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2005 1:29:00 PM More reviews by Jhereg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

had exact same experience as Grasshopper. Worked well for a while but did plateu. leaves you at a nice plateu, but for the price and the pump which makes it hard to dispense what you need - it's hard to repurchase. I love it under foundation gives skin a glowy look.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2005 4:39:00 PM More reviews by katiecat12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using Estee Lauder's Idealist at night for a long time now, but I was starting to feel like it was not as effective as it used to be. I tried this product as a sample and was very pleasantly surprised at how effective it is! My skin is oily/sensitive- It really does a great job of making my skin look and feel less congested and clearer. Slightly drying for me- but worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2005 2:53:00 PM More reviews by stuntmom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I got a sample of this that has lasted ten days but it seems to be really expensive if you actually pay for it. On the up side, it really sped up my acne scar healing time to seem almost miraculous. I'm using it in conjunction with M.D.'s sensitive skin cleanser, facial lotion and illuminating mask (every other day)
and I actually left the house with only translucent powder for the first time in months! I'll drop the cash to have skin this even and clear!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2004 2:28:00 PM More reviews by NorCalGirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LOVE this product. It took me months to rationalize buying it, but I'm glad I made the investment. I've been using it for about a month

The "UPS": This has not only smoothed out my skin tone, it has really helped with my acne issues. I've tried a lot of different products, but this one treated my acne and didn't try out or irritate my sensitive skin.

The "DOWNS": I hate the bottle - difficult to only pump out what I need. The price is high.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2004 1:53:00 AM More reviews by grasshopper

at first i really liked this..it evened out my skin tone and it just made me look all glowy..but now, it's like i've reached a plateau..it didn't get rid of pigmentation, but it's a good product if you just want to even everything out. it's quite expensive and the pump becomes ineffective after awhile..

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No