Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Transitioning Milk

4.4

on 3/20/2015 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is probably the best leave-in product I've ever tried, and I've tried a lot (Kenra, It's a 10, Aussie, Organix, etc). It takes some experimentation to figure out how much you need for your hair texture and density. I have naturally straight blonde hair that is fine in texture, thick in density, and prone to dryness and frizz. Since I've started using this, my hair is so soft, but not greasy or heavy; it feels like it does after I get it professionally cut and styled. I also air dry, which used to mean having crazy-looking hair that I would then have to straighten or style a lot, but this product helps my hair dry so smooth. When my hair is damp but not soaking wet, I distribute a little bit between my fingertips and then concentrate it from the ears down, and then if anything is left on my hands, I run them through my roots to add a little moisture. I found this while on a hunt for a silicone-free leave-in product. (There's nothing wrong with silicones, but most of them are not water-soluble - they require sulfates to wash out of your hair, which means that if you use sulfate-free products like me, you get a build-up of a silicone seal on your hair, which prevents moisture from sinking in.) This product was one of the few I found that is silicone-free and reasonably priced - you get a lot of product for about $10-$12. My only complaint is that the packaging isn't the best; the word "milk" made me believe it would be runny, but it's actually a light cream. The bottle is sturdy plastic, which makes it hard to squeeze it out. I think a pump or more flexible packaging would be better. But I can deal with it because what's inside is so great!

on 2/9/2015 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

If I had to pick one product to have for the rest of my life it would be this.

I made the transition to natural hair care about 5 months ago. I have thin, baby fine hair that is easily weighed down and dries out very easily. I struggled with keeping moisture in my hair (I used mainly jojoba oil and conditioning treatments) but this product has really helped me.

I shampoo my hair about once every 7 days with some water rinses between. I apply this product about every 3 days, wet or dry hair. I prefer to use it on wet hair with very low heat to help my hair take it in, but it works well on dry hair too if you gently rub it in and then brush a little while later. My hair is about bra strap length and I use maybe the size of a quarter in my palm. I put it everywhere on my head, scalp included, and never have had an issue with it weighing my hair down or causing me to be greasy. A little goes a long way.

The scent is quite nice.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Other

not bad, probably best shea leave in from this company

on 9/15/2014 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I work at Sally's so I'm around products all day, therefore I've tried just about everything to help my fine, color treated, extremely damaged/fried, and unmanageable hair.. I've used it's a 10, all soft by Redken, real control, etc. And I'm also a hairdresser, so literally I've tried everything I know to help my hair. The Shea line in Shea moisture is AMAZING. So much moisture, so soft, so shiny & healthy looking! I love this as my leave in. I also use the moisture retention shampoo and deep treatment masque. (Shampoo can be heavy so I mix it with volumizing shampoo). Much better than anything I've tried! It's not expensive at all, and it's natural ingredients. No alcohols or sulfates. Love love love it!

on 7/15/2014 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

My naturally fine hair is pretty damaged from being coloured, then bleached, then coloured again. I have tried all kinds of products, including organic argan oil, straight coconut oil, de-frizzing products, keratin products, silkening products, curl balms, serums -- you name it! The silicone product I was using, which did the job ok, was starting to dry my hair, so I needed a silicone-free product for the long term, since my hair is long and I'm growing it out.

Enter Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Transitioning Milk. I ordered it online and had it shipped to me in Ireland, which made the product's final cost a bit more. But it was worth it. First off, I love the smell. It's light but comforting, and a little beachy, but not too sweet smelling. Secondly, the consistency is thinner than some products, but not in any way runny. Compared to the stuff I was using previously, this product doesn't take as much to work, which means it will last longer.

The true test, for me, is to put the product in my hair and let it air dry. Usually, my hair will either frizz right up or else look oily and never dry. I was shocked to look in the mirror and see rapunzel-like waves cascading down my back. My hair dried beautifully, and the curl that had turned to frizz with all the chemical damage was restored in just one use. I honestly think that in time, this product will repair my hair, which is not something I ever experienced before (and as I established, I've tried a LOT of products). Highly recommended!

on 5/27/2014 1:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This smells sooooo delicious!!! Despite the amazing smell I really don't see a difference between this and and the other milks. It kept my hair moist and soft, but so does the curl and style milk and the thickening growth milk. It's a little more expensive than the other milks at Walgreens. I have low porosity 3b/3c hair and I use this by itself. It doesn't wow me, but it's not horrible either. I'd only repurchase if it was a sale.

on 4/26/2014 2:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a styling cream that you use on damp hair. It has some smoothing properties, as well as a good percentage of shea butter, coconut oil, sugar starch, argan oil, and wheat germ oil. There is also panthenol and vegetable glycerin in this. It is very emollient so a little goes a long way. It did a good job of keeping my ends hydrated and soft. I can see this being more suitable in the summer for me looking at the ingredients. It doesn't feel heavy at all and I was able to apply it around my scalp without it being greasy. My hair is not chemically treated, but this does make a good styling cream for damaged hair. It doesn't provide much shine but it moisturizes well.