Kat Von D Monarch

4.7

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This palette comes with 3 base shades and 9 accent hues. And Kat Von D Beauty is CRUELTY FREE, Paraben, Sulfate and Phthalate free! This is a really good palette to have, even though it is a bit pricey ($55.00 at Sephora), I love it.

Okay, first of all, the colours are amazing! Wrath, that deep pearl orange, gorgeous! These colours are perfect for a natural look to an intense smokey eye. And they are so pigmented. Seriously, a little at a time people the dark shades are PIGMENTED! They are longer wearing and more pigmented with a primer, but still impressive.
They do have a powder texture but go on very smooth and buttery. These are super blendable and will last all day. Perfect for an evening out. They do have some fallout, so I just tap my brush before applying to ensure that it doesn't end up all over my face (I can be a messy makeup applier!).
Overall, I'm impressed and it's totally worth the money.

I love this palette. It is one of my most favs ever. Even though some are shimmery they go on so buttery even on my aging eyelids. You can mix or match any of the colours to get a soft and striking look. BUY this! You will not be disappointed.

I've had this palette for a while now and have had plenty of time to play with it. I got it as my big splurge during the VIB sale. This palette was definitely a great choice. You can make looks from natural to smoky, with a touch of bright and fun. These are no doubt some of the most pigmented shadows I've ever worked with. You barely need to touch your brush to the shadow and you have more than enough pigment. Keep this in mind especially for Wrath (the burnt orange) and Papilio, Disintegration, and Shadow Box (the dark browns and taupes). Sometimes shades this pigmented do not blend well but that is not the case with this palette; every shade is very workable and there's not a single dud formula-wise nor color-wise. Shadow Box gives me some blending trouble, but it's workable with the right fluffy brush (I usually use a Too Faced Teddy Bear Hair brush). Because of the amazing pigmentation, the staying power is incredible with these shadows- probably better than any of my other high-end shadows.

I would not call the shadows "buttery" or "velvety," they're more powdery. There is a bit of fallout, but moreso in the pan. Summerfly and Delaney (the glittery gold and silver) are the ones where you most need to worry about face fallout. I would consider doing your eyes first, then your base makeup when using this palette, so you can fix up the fallout (I keep thinking I'll do this, but doing my base makeup first seems to be a habit I just can't break).

Every shade is very true to color and applies exactly as it looks in the pan, with the exception of Entomology (the matte highlight shade)- it is not as yellow as it looks in the pan and applies as more of a creamy ivory (a good thing!). Vanish (the matte taupe) looks a bit boring but it is an amazing transition/crease shade and can be used with any color in this palette, and with lots of my other shadows as well. What I don't quite like about this palette is how the "quads" are arranged, with the exception of the one on the far left. You have to use your imagination with this palette and break out of these quads (there's lots of YT tutorials). The far right quad is WAY too dark for me to use all together, it ends up looking like I've been punched in the face. All three of those dark colors are better used lightly in the crease, outer corner, or as liners with any of the lighter colors to the left. So I have stopped thinking about that set as a "quad" and think of them more as three choices for deepening and adding dimension to the other shadows. Also, Telepathy (the silvery highlight color) is in a larger pan as if it should be used as an all over base/browbone/blending color, but for my skintone it is too frosty for this purpose. It is a GORGEOUS color and is great on the lid or applied sparingly just under the eyebrow, but IMO Killing Jar (the pinky-gold) is the better all-over highlight and should be in the larger pan.

Aside from the minor fallout issues and the arrangement of these colors, I have nothing bad to say about these shadows. They are all standouts. Probably not the best palette for beginners but if you have some good brushes, blending skills, and the imagination to break out of the quads, I'd recommend it.

This is a go-to palette for me, right up there with my beloved UD palettes. I have this one and the Shade & Light eye palette from Kat Von D and I continue to be very pleased with the quality, application and color payoff from these shadows.

12 shadows at $46 for the palette - The shadows work out to about $3.83 per shadow - I can't buy a L'Oreal single for that unless there is an excellent sale. . . . and these are better.

This is a high quality palette with an edgier vibe but don't let it fool you - I think that this is one of the most neutral palettes I have purchased and would work for almost anyone.

Highly recommended.

I just have looove for this palette. Excellent pigmentation, súper smooth and easy to blend. I love the colours. And the packaging screams kat vond d, and it's something that I love of her products.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

AMAZING!! I honestly think this palette has a better formula than urban decay does. Goes on smoothly, blends like a dream, it's already laid out in quads for those who need help, and you get a TON of product. I doubt I'll ever go through the whole thing. If I had to mention something I didn't like, I'd say the shadows are almost to soft. Like you seriously have to just barely swipe your brush across the top and you can do your whole eye with that. It last soooooo long on the lids and doesn't crease. I really, really, really love it.

I am really surprised that I bought this. I have not worn a lot of eyeshadow in my makeup life and I'm discovering it now- fabulous! This palette caught my eye the first time I was in a Sephora store last month. I think the burnt orange shade looked so original and then the silvery shades and the overall neutral tone of the palette. It's a funny one, Monarch- it looks like it's a "dress up" palette but when you start playing with the colors, it's incredibly neutral. The colors can be built up a lot and they are richly pigmented with an incredibly soft, yet not overly powdery texture (similar but more buttery than UD).

Others here have already described the colors so I won't go into that but I will say that this is a beautiful and useful palette, far more work-appropriate than you might think at first glance. I don't love the goth design of the packaging (it's not really my thing) and there is SO much product that I'll probably die before I finish all of it, but it's a great purchase and I'm glad I caved!

I cannot say enough great things about this palette the pigmentation is amazing!! The feel of the eyeshadows are like velvet...the lasting power insane!! Not to mention the beautiful palette itself and the names of the eyeshadows are so creative the colors are beyond beautiful this is definitely my all time favorite palette. Theres is some fallout with some colors but nothing out of control. These colors really make my blue eyes pop. The eyeshadows do not make my eyes water or get red at all and the eyeshadows blend like a dream...i love the design and colors of the palette the only thing i wish is that it came in like a metal case only bc im clusmy and im so scared of dropping it or it getting smashed in my soft roll bag. But other then that i have nothing bad to say about this palette i absolutely love it!! I think the colors in the palette can accentuate anyones eyecolor and would look great with any skin tone and hair color...

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had been eyeballing this palette for a really long time, and when the Sephora VIB sale came up this month, I decided I'd take the plunge and buy the last one on their shelves.
I absolutely love this palette. I find it to be incredibly versatile, and the colors are so harmonious that you could use any combination and they'd compliment each other perfectly. (This is in stark contrast to the Lorac Pro 2 palette, which has great colors, pigmentation, and texture, but some of the colors just do not work with anything else in the palette, so I rarely end up using about 30% of the palette.) Having a good harmony among the colors is what really makes this product stand out. Even with the UD Naked palettes, essentially what you are getting is slight variations on a single theme. Yes, you can use them for day-to-night looks, but the colors are all very similar to each other. But with the Monarch palette, the colors are all quite different (save a couple shades that are similar), so the variety of looks available makes for a very convenient collection. No need to break out three or four individual shadows to accompany it.
The texture is buttery and finely milled (though does result in some fallout, but no worse than the UD Vice 3). The colors are highly pigmented, but buildable, and they blend like a dream.
The packaging is bulky, but gorgeous. I'd have preferred something sturdier, but I generally don't bring my palettes around in my bag, so as long as it's safe at home, it won't be an issue.
Price-wise, at $46 it's about what I'd expect a mid-range luxury eyeshadow palette to be. But, you do get a decent amount of product, and with every color being wearable and usable, I feel like that's a fair price.
It should also be noted that KVD's products are cruelty free, and most in the line (soon to be all) are vegan.
I will definitely repurchase this palette, as well as explore more of her palettes. (It was a toss-up between this and her eye contouring kit, but this seemed more versatile.)

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Monarch is my HG eyeshadow palette, hands down. The combinations are endless and have been excellent no matter what I've tried. I have warm-olive skin, and I can use all the colors equally well for either everyday neutrals or dramatic evening looks. My favorite color turned out to be Wrath (the red-gold on the left), which is surprisingly wearable if you build it up lightly. The colors are all velvety and blend well with excellent payoff - the gold one has some fallout, though. I'm only giving it a 3 for packaging because although it is pretty, it is bulky.

Video Reviews & Tutorials