Kat Von D Monarch

4.5

on 4/17/2015 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had been eyeballing this palette for a really long time, and when the Sephora VIB sale came up this month, I decided I'd take the plunge and buy the last one on their shelves.
I absolutely love this palette. I find it to be incredibly versatile, and the colors are so harmonious that you could use any combination and they'd compliment each other perfectly. (This is in stark contrast to the Lorac Pro 2 palette, which has great colors, pigmentation, and texture, but some of the colors just do not work with anything else in the palette, so I rarely end up using about 30% of the palette.) Having a good harmony among the colors is what really makes this product stand out. Even with the UD Naked palettes, essentially what you are getting is slight variations on a single theme. Yes, you can use them for day-to-night looks, but the colors are all very similar to each other. But with the Monarch palette, the colors are all quite different (save a couple shades that are similar), so the variety of looks available makes for a very convenient collection. No need to break out three or four individual shadows to accompany it.
The texture is buttery and finely milled (though does result in some fallout, but no worse than the UD Vice 3). The colors are highly pigmented, but buildable, and they blend like a dream.
The packaging is bulky, but gorgeous. I'd have preferred something sturdier, but I generally don't bring my palettes around in my bag, so as long as it's safe at home, it won't be an issue.
Price-wise, at $46 it's about what I'd expect a mid-range luxury eyeshadow palette to be. But, you do get a decent amount of product, and with every color being wearable and usable, I feel like that's a fair price.
It should also be noted that KVD's products are cruelty free, and most in the line (soon to be all) are vegan.
I will definitely repurchase this palette, as well as explore more of her palettes. (It was a toss-up between this and her eye contouring kit, but this seemed more versatile.)

on 3/31/2015 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Monarch is my HG eyeshadow palette, hands down. The combinations are endless and have been excellent no matter what I've tried. I have warm-olive skin, and I can use all the colors equally well for either everyday neutrals or dramatic evening looks. My favorite color turned out to be Wrath (the red-gold on the left), which is surprisingly wearable if you build it up lightly. The colors are all velvety and blend well with excellent payoff - the gold one has some fallout, though. I'm only giving it a 3 for packaging because although it is pretty, it is bulky.

on 3/2/2015 11:41:00 PM

This palette is gorgeous but it has its ups and downs for me. To me, it isnt a no brainer neutral palette, i find i have to really think about the combinations before i start. Also the shadows are SOOO pigmented that they can sometimes be intimidating and hard to use. Also i think its missing a good middle transition brown or taupe. But it is still gorgeous and i do love it. Check out my video please for a full review, swatch, and demo!

on 2/11/2015 2:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

Extremely pigmented!!! A little goes a long way. Nice colors and very easy to blend. I am very impressed with this makeup line.

I've been using this palette for a while now and I can say if I had to chose between the Naked palette 1 and 2 and the Kat Von D palette I would chose the Kat Von D. The reason why is because I think its more buildable. The colors are so pigmented you can easily make a natural look or a very bold dark sexy look. Not to mention that brownish orange color is so pretty and makes your eyes pop when you use it as a transitioning color.

With that being said, keep in mind this eyeshadow has a lot of fallout, not enough to make me hate the palette but enough to be careful when applying it.

on 1/6/2015 10:09:00 PM

I love this pallet. Ever shadow is equally as good, there are no duds all shades are equally as great. Shadow are pigmented, easy to blend, and they last on the lid. There is fall out in the pan but I get zero fall out from these shadows when they are on my eyes, I don't even have to tap off access. I reach for these shadows more than my Urban Decay.

on 11/24/2014 11:15:00 PM

I love this palette, the shadows are amazingly pigmented, creamy, lasting and it comes with 3 huge pan's of highlight shades (the ones you usually run out of first). The looks can be versatile and the packaging is beautiful with a decent sized mirror, my only complaint is the fallout but that is expected with eyeshadow this soft.

on 10/18/2014 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This pallet is amazing! i highly recommend it to everyone the orangy color is a fantastic color for fall! the pigmentation is outstanding! if you guys wanna see it on action and check out the look i came up with go ahead and check out my video featuring the Kat Von D Monarch pallet i would appreciate it if you like comment and subscribe thanks for taking your time to watching it and i hope you enjoy it! (:

on 6/30/2014 12:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This product is great for cool and warm tone looks. Perfect traveling palette!

on 6/21/2014 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is a beautiful palette with lots of pigmentation!!
It has very nice colors in there and they feel very soft.
The only thing is that there is a little bit of fall outs.
Also, if you are on the market for a neutral, everyday type of palette, well.. maybe this isn't for you. It is so well pigmented that the colors are very bright and bold. I like that kind of colors but I sometime have to pull out my naked 1 or an other type of softer colors to balance it to be work appropriate. For night looks, this is awesome!

on 5/29/2014 7:58:00 PM

I don't have a set of shadows like this... The texture and pigmentation is amazing. Soft, buttery and pigmented... It doesn't get better.

Video Reviews & Tutorials