September 20, 2014 | 1831 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Sarah Potempa Half Up

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2014 6:10:00 PM More reviews by valmont32677

I love the "Half Up" & also the "Full Up" for making buns. You can make them into perfect ballerina buns or something less structured like a messy bun. I have a similar one called Remmington Bun Maker For Girls ("Girls" denoting a smaller bun maker for smaller heads/amount of hair), which the Remmington is a dupe for the Half Up & is sold at Target (& comes in brunette or blonde). I tried to buy another back up of the Half Up at an Ulta store & was told no longer carried them but I didn't check the web which is where I got the 1st ones I had. The Sephora version is awful, I returned mine. It's a lot more flimsy. The Half/Full Up's are the best quality out there of these kinda contraptions & the Hairdini/Teeny Hairdini are nice too, but I haven't seen them in stores for years, but may be available online too. The popular Hot Buns bun makers make such pretty buns but steer clear unless you have thick long hair otherwise they are impossible & frustrating. (The bun donuts work well too that several manufacturers offer, you can choose to wrap ur hair around it or stick ur hair thru the center & wrap.). The Half Up is my fave bun maker I reach for. I collect bun makers, I love trying to create the perfect bun both messy & proper.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2014 11:13:00 PM More reviews by Saspants

Okay, I am honestly not sure how I found this little do dad but I am so glad that I did! This is a hair up do accessory that makes creating a bun really simple.

The accessory itself reminds me of a big clown-like mouth with a slit opening. The thing is a wire contraption that is covered in a foamy velour fabric that gently grips your hair to prevent strays from falling loose. I open the slit by bending the wires and then just rake my fingers through my hair and grab a ponytail in my fist, I pull my hair through the slit and then push the wires closed while holding the accessory close to my scalp. I then pull it back about 2/3 the length of my hair and start rolling it up, bend it down in a circle and tuck the ends into the bun.

My version strays from the instructions as they state to secure your hair into a ponytail using an elastic first, but I am not looking to create a perfect "ballerina-like" bun, but rather a messy, casual bun to keep my hair out of my face or more so on days I don't have time to wash, blow-out and style. My messy bun takes about 30 seconds and is perfect for me. These come in blonde, brunette and black and also come in a larger size called the "Full Wrap". Since my hair is fine, I have found the half wrap works better as I don't have enough bulk or volume of hair to fully cover the full wrap.

So far, I have only been able to find these on ULTA's website. Sephora has something similar at their stand-alone stores but only in the larger size and only available in blonde and black.