August 23, 2014 | 1922 users online

Eyeliner - Bobbi Brown - Perfectly Defined Gel Eyeliner

rated 2 of 5 on 7/2/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by miwamoto

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I suck at applying eyeliner and though I liked the staying power and opacity of the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner in the pot, I just couldn't pull off the tightline look. When I saw that she formulated the gel eyeliner in a pen, I thought it was a dream come true. Not so much. No matter how much you sharpen this, you'll never be able to get the kind of razor thin line needed for the tightline technique. Pen liners are much better for this. I had this in "pitch black" and it was not dark enough or opaque enough for me. I had to make multiple passes just to get a dark line. Plus, it melted off my oily lids in 2 hours and I had panda eyes. I even tried it with UDPP and managed to squeak out another 2 hours of wear before it ended up underneath my eyes. I gave up and returned it.

I gave it two lippies because I liked that it had a built-in sharpener.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2014 2:34:00 PM More reviews by violetmist

These are the original "long wear" (?) eyeliner pencils in better packaging. That packaging just keeps the product from slipping out of the pencil as the others did but the formula is the same though there are some good colours such as the steel grey and black violet. Don't be fooled into thinking you can do a sharply defined eye because these can't do that. For my money (and yes it is a bit more money) Chanel has a better quality product because they wear longer and the colour selection is more interesting. Same packaging. That's usually the story with Bobbi Brown, not a market leader.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/25/2014 7:42:00 PM More reviews by bonniecrail

I purchased this hoping that I would get the same staying power as the BB gels, but the new liner faded after three hours -- even with a good primer underneath. The BB gels in jars are not my HG and take time, but they definitely outperform the new pencils. My HG for lasting performance remains MUFE Aqua Black.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2014 9:34:00 PM More reviews by mtalla27

This review is for the bb perfectly defined eyeliner in Scotch. Just recently purchased this from my local dept. store and absolutely love it. The gel liner is the same quality, consistency, and effect as the gel pot liner in a retractable pencil form. I am a busy mom and don't always have time to mess around with a brush so this is perfect. The color is divine and would be comparable to the chocolate shimmer color. Such a great find and would definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2014 10:42:00 PM More reviews by msdi2u

I am a big fan of Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner and her Long-wear eyeliner pencils. So far, no other brand compares when it comes to staying power and ease of application. (Although MAC Fluidlines are comparable to BB gel inks.) When these NEW Perfectly Defined Gel Eyeliner pencils were released a few weeks ago, I jumped on the wagon and bought them in four colors, and I am SO glad I did! These are fantastic! The formula is basically identical to the Long-wear eye pencils by Bobbi Brown, except those require sharpening. The PD Gel Eyeliner pencils come in a twist-up applicator with a smaller point and supposedly a built-in sharpener, which is something I have not tried yet. I purchased Chocolate Truffle (matte dark brown), Pitch Black (deepest jet black), Sapphire (a gorgeous midnight blue), and Steel Grey (dark gray). I have been using these pencils every day since I bought them to line my upper lash line with great results. Application is quick and easy with no pulling or tugging on my aging eyelids. The staying power lasts all day for me, from early morning until midnight when I take it off. I do use an eye primer every day, and I line my eyes over the primer and whatever eyeshadow I chose to use (BB Long-wear cream eyeshadow, or any powder eyeshadow). I like to take a matching powder eyeshadow and trace the pencil line afterwards with my MAC 266 for extra staying power. I have used all 4 colors and have had great results and identical performance from each eye pencil so far. I absolutely love these pencils as a replacement for gel liner. I find these do the job much quicker and help get me out the door faster, and there is no need to wash a separate eyeliner brush afterwards. These pencils cost about $24 (US), and although pricey for someone on a budget, I find them to be worth every penny when it comes to my makeup needs. I will DEFINITELY repurchase as long as they are available, and I highly recommend these to anyone who uses gel liner and is looking for a quicker, more travel-friendly alternative.