December 19, 2014 | 798 users online

Eyeliner - Bobbi Brown - Perfectly Defined Gel Eyeliner

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2014 6:27:00 PM More reviews by julia178

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

When the Perfectly Defined liners came out a few months ago I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of shades, and I purchased Black Violet, Steel Grey, Scotch and Sapphire. Initially these liners were relatively easy to apply, without too much drag on the lid. I liked the concept of an in-built sharpener at the opposite end of the pencil, no searching for a pencil sharpener. About six months into using these I have to say that I still like the shades, especially Scotch, a neutral bronze and Steel Grey, a medium cool grey. However, I will not repurchase for the following reasons: The sharpener is completely useless, no matter how careful I try to sharpen the tip all I get is a broken off, blunt tip, quite the opposite of "well defined". At that point, the liner piece that broke off is stuck in the sharpener and needs to be pried out with a sharp object like a needle. Needless to say, no bueno. So once the initial conical shape of the tip has worn off to a blunt top there is no going back and it is hard to create a decent line with that non pointy tip. $24 is too much for a subpar product and my eyeliner search continues.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/23/2014 3:44:00 PM More reviews by Xllollyx

I wanted something that wouldn't drag on, so I'm not always pulling on lid and lashes. It was important to have something I could smudge a bit too. This eyeliner smudges well for a natural line, but it doesn't come on as easily as I hoped for the price. Loreal's mechanical gel liner was interchangeable (I'd rather neither now). The violet was pretty, but closer to slate than purple. Nice, but nothing special, and not for what you pay. If you're in Sephora with my agenda, grab urban decays's 24/7

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by MegE

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Sadly, these automatic pencils don't live up to the longevity of the classic BB Long-Wear Gel Eyeliners. They annoyingly smear under my eyes by mid-late day and my line would significantly fade by the end of the day and that's with my UD e/s Primer Potion. I have 2 shades: Chocolate Truffle and Pitch Black. The black was NOT what I would call a dark black, it's more of a soft black that faded into an unflattering deep charcoalish shade. The positives are that I found they apply smoothly, neither too dry nor too creamy and the pencil design twisted up and down with ease and stayed somewhat sharp. I also liked the dark chocolately brown shade of the Chocolate Truffle. As an alternative, I would suggest the Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eyeliners.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2014 4:45:00 PM More reviews by saraminebowen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really like this eyeliner. I'm a huge fan of mechanical eyeliner pencils, and this one goes on smoothly and doesn't smudge for me. I'm only giving it a 4 because I don't love the grayish shade I bought, but will probably use it until it runs out and purchase the chocolate truffle shade instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by mamba

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love the dark brown color (Chocolate Truffle), but even better this eyeliner does not transfer unto my upper eyelids (as Benefit Push up liner). Very basic, but the best automatic liner I have tried in a long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2014 7:42:00 AM More reviews by Hammurabi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had their first long wear gel liner and did like it a lot because their mahogany brown is just such a gorgeous colour against my eyes. I use that and then use an angle brush to soften the line and it just makes everything so much better.
when the liner came to a stump... well came to an end, I had to buy a new one... and then i read that the perfectly defined gel liner was out, so tried that on in store, picked chocolate truffle (they have another darker brown but chocolate truffle is closer to mahogany brown). I like the fact that its a screw up pen instead of a pencil with a sharpener (i just hate shaving!).
Expecting it was similar to the original one, i was pleasantly surprised that the staying power is better and more smudge proof. The reason i said that is with the long wear gel liner, even i smudge with a brush, by the end of the day i can still see a little panda under the eyes, not sever but i can see it but with this one, its nothing. It does not transfer and i like that a lot.
like that so much that the next week i went back and get grey steel hah!
though I still prefer chocolate truffle.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/1/2014 2:36:00 PM More reviews by carboholic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love Bobbi Brown's gel liner in the pot so I bought this hoping it would have the same smooth application and staying power, but in the convenient mechanical pencil form. This does not apply nearly as smoothly as the gel liner in the pot, or as other pencil liners I've used for that matter. I actually find lining my upper lashline with this takes longer, making it less convenient. Unfortunately the staying power isn't as great either. I can't return this since I bought it while I was in the US & the Sephoras here don't carry Bobbi Brown products, so I'm going to use it for touch ups on the go if needed (mostly for my waterline), but won't re-purchase when it runs out.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/2/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by miwamoto

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I suck at applying eyeliner and though I liked the staying power and opacity of the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner in the pot, I just couldn't pull off the tightline look. When I saw that she formulated the gel eyeliner in a pen, I thought it was a dream come true. Not so much. No matter how much you sharpen this, you'll never be able to get the kind of razor thin line needed for the tightline technique. Pen liners are much better for this. I had this in "pitch black" and it was not dark enough or opaque enough for me. I had to make multiple passes just to get a dark line. Plus, it melted off my oily lids in 2 hours and I had panda eyes. I even tried it with UDPP and managed to squeak out another 2 hours of wear before it ended up underneath my eyes. I gave up and returned it.

I gave it two lippies because I liked that it had a built-in sharpener.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2014 2:34:00 PM More reviews by violetmist

These are the original "long wear" (?) eyeliner pencils in better packaging. That packaging just keeps the product from slipping out of the pencil as the others did but the formula is the same though there are some good colours such as the steel grey and black violet. Don't be fooled into thinking you can do a sharply defined eye because these can't do that. For my money (and yes it is a bit more money) Chanel has a better quality product because they wear longer and the colour selection is more interesting. Same packaging. That's usually the story with Bobbi Brown, not a market leader.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/25/2014 7:42:00 PM More reviews by bonniecrail

I purchased this hoping that I would get the same staying power as the BB gels, but the new liner faded after three hours -- even with a good primer underneath. The BB gels in jars are not my HG and take time, but they definitely outperform the new pencils. My HG for lasting performance remains MUFE Aqua Black.