August 22, 2014 | 2005 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2014 4:59:00 PM More reviews by goodtiger

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My skin tends to be oily in the T zone and sweaty in summer. I need a foundation (when I wear one) that I can layer over my treatment products and sunscreen without it adding a heavy layer of emulsifiers, physical sunscreens and moisturizers. I just want something that evens out my tone and makes my skin look airbrushed.

This works for me using a small RT "Mini Face" brush that came as part of a set of travel brushes from RT. After applying my sunscreen I put about 3 drops of BareSkin on the brush and dab it all over then go over it in a buffing motion. Perfection.

Finding the right color was a challenge for me but Cream works well to cancel out redness and give a nice even tone. Also, shaking the bottle like crazy helps to disperse the pigments so that you dont get a blob of liquid - I think this is the mistake ppl are making if they say it looks greasy.

This is foundation for ppl who already have good skin, since it doesnt have any silicones or fillers to fill in fine lines or pores. My Biore SaraSara SS functions as my primer with this foundation.

Its not transfer-resistant. When I blot later in the day, some color comes off but its a small price to pay for something that is lightweight and makes my skin look and feel great.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2014 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Duster

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Didn't buy this, tried a few samples so can't comment on price or packaging. However the stuff goes a very long way so I got a week out of each sample. Good selection of shades, and this looks great going on but this is only sheer coverage. This does not cover darker discolorations if you have them no matter how much you pile on. Also by the end of day I was a greasy mess; I did shake the product well before using; didn't make a difference. A primer may help, but I'm not adding another step in my routine to make this work. This is probably a better choice for someone with drier and more perfect skin than I.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2014 10:14:00 PM More reviews by Ragdoll87

I really love this foundation. Goes on like silk, and you really feel like you're wearing nothing. I feel like my skin is breathing and I'm not wearing anything at all. It's amazing. Very well worth the price. It's also better because it' has less crap in it. But, just be aware: you need to shake it each and every time you dispense some. I like the bottle as well. The coverage it medium and build able. I'd recommend this if you have sensitive or irritated skin, or if you have nicer skin and just want something more breathe able.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2014 10:29:00 AM More reviews by lelmore907

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have used bare essentials for over 15 years. I love this new liquid foundation- I Love that you can take care of your skin with this product as well!!! It does make your skin much brighter-your skin appears even-absolutely love this foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2014 7:55:00 PM More reviews by aderenia

Purchased this at Ulta- great coverage.. Goes on smooth.. Matches my skin tone PERFECTLY buuuut (why does there always have to be a but?) the foundation just sits on top of your skin. I can't work it in to my skin. It sits like a masks. Looks flawless but if I sweat or where sunglasses and then take them off my foundation is COMPLETELY off in that area. Even if I wipe my face... Wherever I wipe, that area is no longer covered. Sucks. I love the coverage so maybe I'll try it again in the winter when it doesn't sweat off.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2014 9:23:00 AM More reviews by bksmits

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for about 2 months and love it! I used the original powder foundation for years but as I've gotten older my skin has gotten even drier than normal and the powder wasn't cutting it anymore. When I heard they were coming out with a liquid I ran to the store.

The coverage I've gotten with this is amazing! They say you only need a few drops and they mean it! I start with one drop, dot it on then blend it. If I need a lttle more I'll do a mini-drop and blend again. That's usually about it. Be warned: If you do more than a drop or two you will look like you are wearing a kabuki mask!

The brush: BE made a special funky brush for this foundation. Do not use it! When I got my color match at Sephora the girl used a Sephora brush instead and it came out great! And was $8 dollars cheaper. The girl next to me had hers done with the special BE brush and I don't think it looked as good and used a lot more product.

Packaging: The little "shaker balls" that rattle around in the bottle when you shake it sometimes get lodged in the top of the bottle which blocks the product coming out. A good smack on the counter will loosen them but this happens just about every time I use it. Minor annoyance, recommend making the balls bigger so they can't get stuck.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/12/2014 3:58:00 PM More reviews by MollyTheMakeupArtist

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used to work in a studio that sold this foundation so I had to try it before I used it on anyone or sold it to anyone. I have dry, acne prone skin and need very full coverage. This foundation is advertised to feel like nothing is there and to have a natural look to the skin. I can definitely agree, it feels like a part of your normal skincare routine and looks very natural.
That being said, you have to be very careful when you use it in relation to your skincare routine. If you apply this foundation too soon after your moisturizer, it will slide around. If you wait too long, it will cling to all your dry spots.
I always set my foundation with a powder, no matter what. This foundation did the strangest thing to my skin. It actually separated from the powder and everything else I had on and created tiny little holes in my makeup. It looked like you took a pin and poked my skin a million times all around my face. I tried everything I could think of, in my makeup artist head, to fix this. Primer, no primer, different moisturizer, less product, more product, different powder, different concealer, everything. The list goes on and on. Nothing fixed it.
Now, this foundation has a very weightless, "nothing is there" feeling to it. As for me, with very severe acne, I like to feel like I have makeup on. It makes me feel more secure that my acne is being covered and my face matches the rest of me. This feels like you don't have any makeup on. This is so weird but my skin sort of told my brain that I didn't have any makeup on and that it was okay to touch my face. I couldn't help it! Before I could even stop myself, I'd scratch my nose or chin or something.
So all together, here is my recommendation for this foundation. If you have normal skin, not super dry or oily, you don't need a lot of coverage, and you don't like to have a full face on everyday, this foundation is perfect for you. If you try to mess with it, well, it gets messy.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/11/2014 11:30:00 AM More reviews by sjlc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

When I first got this foundation-I thought it was amazing. It feels like you're not wearing anything at all and has great coverage considering the texture. Since I have oily skin it does get shiny and slides around a bit, but that is only towards the end of a long day. I love that it's supposed to be good for your skin and says it's brightening. But a foundation has never broken me out so bad in my life. I usually blame my break outs for changes in my hormones considering I am on birth control, but these were so bad I had to consider something else and this was all I had changed. Also, I tend to put foundation only on the outside portion of my face because I don't want to cake it over my brightening concealer placed in the middle, and I only got the horrific acne where I placed this foundation! I haven't used this in 2 weeks and I'm still trying to recover. The zits were huge, painful, and long lasting unlike the small acne I get due to hormones fluctuations-which is how I can usually tell break outs are from a product. It really sucked having those pimples and brought down my confidence level by a lot, they have NEVER been so bad! Not going to ever reach for this foundation again. Sorry bare minerals.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2014 3:27:00 AM More reviews by CatClosser

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had seen this advertised on QVC, read reviews and watched a couple YouTube videos before I decided to purchase this foundation.

Let me start by saying that I don't wear makeup very often so even a tinted moisturizer feels heavy to me. I also have trouble finding a good match for my skin tone. I have fair to medium skin with pink undertones (Irish, Japanese, English, German & Portuguese ancestry) that can either be extremely oily or combination depending on the day and/or season. My skin is also acne prone, sensitive and I have rosacea (with a very red nose) so it's a mess all around.

I started out by using the color finding guide on Ulta.com and decided that Bare Satin was probably the closest to my skin tone. I also ordered the brush they recommend with it. I love that there are so many colors to choose from and the descriptions made it easier for me to decide which to try.

I received my order in the mail but waited a couple days to try it out. I made sure to shake the bottle very well before doing each side of my face as the instructions and videos said to do. The color match was excellent! Probably the closest match I've ever found. Since I don't usually wear makeup I could definitely tell I had something on my face but it wasn't nearly as heavy as others I have tried in the past. I applied with the special brush and used 4 drops (2 for each side of my face) and got complete coverage but I felt that I still used too much. I also started with a skin primer and finished off with a light dusting of loose MAC powder to set it. It didn't give me a matte finish, which I didn't expect since everyone said it was dewy, but I feel that I may have used too much and by mid day I was feeling pretty greasy. But to be fair it was also a pretty hot day and I was outside a lot.

Today I applied 2 drops (1 for each side of my face) using just my fingers and it looks and feels much more natural. I also didn't use a primer or powder on top this time. I may try using the brush with just 2 drops to see if that works better than the first time. I'm an amateur at using a brush for foundation so it may just be that I need to practice. I still got a bit shiny but I wasn't nearly as greasy as the first time I tried it. It also may have been better if I had used a primer and powder.

So to summarize:

- Excellent color match
- Very lightweight but still good coverage
- A little goes a long way so even though the bottle is small, it will last a long time.
- I'm still undecided on the brush

All in all I'm glad I gave this foundation a chance and will continue to use it. I just need to practice, practice, practice.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2014 10:29:00 AM More reviews by cia_agent86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I exchanged this from the original mineral formula in store. I got to sample it first. That should have been an indication of how it works. The odd thing is it wouldn't blend when the SA at BE put this on me. She kept saying it was my skin or my sunscreen (Clarins), NOT the product. I took it home and tried it several times with and without primer, with moisturizer, without, you name it! It stuck to any dry spot, sunk into every pore, it was awful! I did like that it felt lightweight though..