September 2, 2014 | 1898 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 1 of 5 on 8/31/2014 5:55:00 PM More reviews by CStuartMonteith

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Oh! dear, I just tried the new Chanel powder foundation (see my review) and now I have tried the sample the SA gave me.
I have never had much luck with Bare Escentuals. Their mineral foundations look dreadful on me, although I admit that the feel on my skin is decent.
This one does not even feel good on my skin. It is very matte, at least on me as I have normal/dry skin, and highlights every single line and wrinkle. I look for a foundation which improves (at least momentarily) my skin, not make it look worse. It is difficult to blend (I used a Sigma brush) and despite the heavy feel, does not hide any of my brown spots. I cannot honestly recommend it to anybody, even if you have a young problem free skin, as it would do nothing to enhance it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2014 3:39:00 AM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

The quest continues....you know what quest I'm talking about, the one for a great foundation. Sadly, this one isn't it.
CONS
1. The packaging. I have arthritis in my hands, the hard plastic bottle makes it almost impossible to squeeze out even a drop. I tried shaking it out and that didn't work either.
2. The formula. This literally sits on top of my skin and never sinks in...it highlights every bit of dry skin, every pore, ever crease.
3. I have been through menopause and have hot flashes, but even if it's just humidity...this doesn't stay on, it's sweats off and moves around.
4. Price. Expensive!
PROS
1. A little bit goes a long way, but the more you put on...the worse it looks. So, it's hard to get it to build up to a decent coverage without looking like a mask.
This was an epic fail for me and I'll be returning it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2014 1:19:00 PM More reviews by yallagabig

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Bare Minerals delivers yet again! I am so happy with this product. My skin is naturally extremely oily but in recent months I've been treating with glycolic acid (Mario Badescu glycolic acid toner, it's magic in a bottle!) and so I have been MUCH drier lately. I began to need much more moisture in my skin, and started searching for a moisturizing alternative to my Bare Minerals original powder foundation, which I had been using since 2008. Perfect timing: just as I began this search, BE came out with this product.
First of all, I love that it truly is a "serum foundation" and they are not lying when they call it a foundation + skin care product in one. This really does improve my skin! When I take it off at the end of the day (I cleanse with a Dove Beauty Bar) my skin really is brighter and more radiant. It feels softer and more comfortable.
The product itself is very light and silky. The coverage is beautiful -- not "full coverage" but a little more than sheer. I would describe this almost as a high-coverage tinted moisturizer that, unlike other TMs and BBs, actually dries to a matte finish (whereas many others remain tacky and sticky). This is the most moisturizing foundation I have ever used, and yet it does not feel heavy or sticky. It looks radiant and captures light in a way that does not make me look greasy or oily. It actually reminds me a lot of Clinique Superbalanced Foundation, except that it is lighter and more moisturizing. But the texture and finish are similar (and also this one actually does improve the condition of my skin).
I do not use the brush -- in fact, I just apply it with my fingers (my skin is so dry these days that it just drinks up the product, and I find that as a result I have to use more than the recommended amount, but whatever). The packaging is good -- I love the idea of a squeeze-top, because open-top bottles can be unhygienic but pumps annoy me because they always leave like a ton of irretrievable product at the bottom and you've basically just wasted it because the pump can't reach it. My only packaging complaint is that you have to squeeze really hard to get any product out. But I do like that it's plastic. Price is fair, comparable to other foundations in this range.
I highly recommend this product to anyone with dry skin. (As a side note, I do still have to blot during the day with this foundation, but it handles blotting beautifully.) After about two weeks of use, my skin looks brighter (it really does fade dark spots!) and feels softer. I'm EXTREMELY pale with yellow undertones and the shade 01 Bare Porcelain (the lightest one) works perfectly for me (for reference, I was on the lighter end of Fairly Light in the original powder foundation).

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2014 9:28:00 PM More reviews by cha1291

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

awesome foundation! it blends in a airbrushed finish and lasts all day! i use it with my Cover FX liquid foundation brush from sephora instead of their brand brush. it takes a while to work in but if you can take the few extra seconds to do it you will get great results! i normally dont spend so much on foundation but this is worth it and a little goes a longg way so it lasts a long time! leaves me with awesome healthy glow skin! love and a must have product for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2014 4:59:00 PM More reviews by goodtiger

My skin tends to be oily in the T zone and sweaty in summer. I need a foundation (when I wear one) that I can layer over my treatment products and sunscreen without it adding a heavy layer of emulsifiers, physical sunscreens and moisturizers. I just want something that evens out my tone and makes my skin look airbrushed.

This works for me using a small RT "Mini Face" brush that came as part of a set of travel brushes from RT. After applying my sunscreen I put about 3 drops of BareSkin on the brush and dab it all over then go over it in a buffing motion. Perfection.

Finding the right color was a challenge for me but Cream works well to cancel out redness and give a nice even tone. Also, shaking the bottle like crazy helps to disperse the pigments so that you dont get a blob of liquid - I think this is the mistake ppl are making if they say it looks greasy.

This is foundation for ppl who already have good skin, since it doesnt have any silicones or fillers to fill in fine lines or pores. My Biore SaraSara SS functions as my primer with this foundation.

Its not transfer-resistant. When I blot later in the day, some color comes off but its a small price to pay for something that is lightweight and makes my skin look and feel great.

eta: using a damp sponge to apply this doesnt give good results imho and also risks removing some of the SS underneath. I use a dry RT brush and work it around to blend.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2014 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Duster

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Didn't buy this, tried a few samples so can't comment on price or packaging. However the stuff goes a very long way so I got a week out of each sample. Good selection of shades, and this looks great going on but this is only sheer coverage. This does not cover darker discolorations if you have them no matter how much you pile on. Also by the end of day I was a greasy mess; I did shake the product well before using; didn't make a difference. A primer may help, but I'm not adding another step in my routine to make this work. This is probably a better choice for someone with drier and more perfect skin than I.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2014 10:14:00 PM More reviews by Ragdoll87

I really love this foundation. Goes on like silk, and you really feel like you're wearing nothing. I feel like my skin is breathing and I'm not wearing anything at all. It's amazing. Very well worth the price. It's also better because it' has less crap in it. But, just be aware: you need to shake it each and every time you dispense some. I like the bottle as well. The coverage it medium and build able. I'd recommend this if you have sensitive or irritated skin, or if you have nicer skin and just want something more breathe able.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2014 10:29:00 AM More reviews by lelmore907

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have used bare essentials for over 15 years. I love this new liquid foundation- I Love that you can take care of your skin with this product as well!!! It does make your skin much brighter-your skin appears even-absolutely love this foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2014 7:55:00 PM More reviews by aderenia

Purchased this at Ulta- great coverage.. Goes on smooth.. Matches my skin tone PERFECTLY buuuut (why does there always have to be a but?) the foundation just sits on top of your skin. I can't work it in to my skin. It sits like a masks. Looks flawless but if I sweat or where sunglasses and then take them off my foundation is COMPLETELY off in that area. Even if I wipe my face... Wherever I wipe, that area is no longer covered. Sucks. I love the coverage so maybe I'll try it again in the winter when it doesn't sweat off.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2014 9:23:00 AM More reviews by bksmits

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for about 2 months and love it! I used the original powder foundation for years but as I've gotten older my skin has gotten even drier than normal and the powder wasn't cutting it anymore. When I heard they were coming out with a liquid I ran to the store.

The coverage I've gotten with this is amazing! They say you only need a few drops and they mean it! I start with one drop, dot it on then blend it. If I need a lttle more I'll do a mini-drop and blend again. That's usually about it. Be warned: If you do more than a drop or two you will look like you are wearing a kabuki mask!

The brush: BE made a special funky brush for this foundation. Do not use it! When I got my color match at Sephora the girl used a Sephora brush instead and it came out great! And was $8 dollars cheaper. The girl next to me had hers done with the special BE brush and I don't think it looked as good and used a lot more product.

Packaging: The little "shaker balls" that rattle around in the bottle when you shake it sometimes get lodged in the top of the bottle which blocks the product coming out. A good smack on the counter will loosen them but this happens just about every time I use it. Minor annoyance, recommend making the balls bigger so they can't get stuck.