July 28, 2014 | 1099 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2014 6:11:00 AM More reviews by pkuyken

I originally wanted to use this as my new "casual day" makeup but now use it daily since receiving a sample from the BE Boutique. I went back and bought a $29 Bottle. You have to shake the bottle, and try a different technique than you would normally use - watch the various videos. I would say that when I was younger and had oily skin, Bare Minerals was my makeup. When I had to go to liquid, Giorgio Armani Skin Fusion is my holy grail - but now will alternate with bareSkin Serum foundation... I also bought the bareSkin brush. Works well for my 55 year old skin and I actually get compliments.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2014 11:15:00 PM More reviews by manderly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this product for a couple of weeks now, and I really like it. I am a stay at home mom, and no longer do the whole "made up" look, but don't want to look like a big hot mess either.

I had stumbled across this while looking up what to buy from NYX during their recent sale (going to review those items as well, great brand even better prices). I had planned to try the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Tinted Moisturizer as I just needed something to even out my skin and cover the occasional blemish and make me not look like death warmed over.

Previously I'd been using Pur Minerals since I liked the ease of the pressed powder and brush but I'd tanned during the summer and it wasn't matching and I wasn't happy with the overall heavyish finish.

I have to laugh at some of the online reviews - some of them just use flat out FAR too much of this product. I literally use 3 drops to do my entire face. DROPS. I opted not to purchase the brush made for it (it was nice and soft though) and got a Real Techniques expert face brush and it works perfectly (for like $8!)

I have combination skin which gets VERY oily in the summer, but I get some dry/flaky patches here and there. It will show those flakes like any other foundation. I've had pretty good luck with staying power in normal weather (it slid right off when it was like 100 degrees out, but everyone looks like a swamp rat in those conditions). I've been using Wayne Goss' tips (blotting with a layer of tissue and then finishing with my MUFE Finishing Powder and a few spritz of NYX setting spray).

I end up looking pretty darn good (blemishes need extra concealer) and it lasts me most of the day. I do need to blot/powder my t-zone after a few hours, but that has been my experience with all makeup.

This is a light to medium coverage with a glowing (not shimmery) dewy finish. At $29 from Ulta it's a great price considering I use only 3 drops per application.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/25/2014 7:03:00 PM More reviews by BrewerGirl86

I really tried to love this foundation but I just couldn't get past the fact that if you have huge pores, it shows EVERYTHING. Also, if you have acne, it exacerbates it as well as wrinkles. Actually, it exacerbates every flaw. What good is foundation if it doesn't cover anything, am I right? I used two different brushes with this product and had no luck with it. The search continues for the perfect foundation...

rated 4 of 5 on 7/23/2014 12:52:00 PM More reviews by destreng

Overall:
Easy match for fair neutral skin! I am really happy with the coverage and the look (not shiny, just dewy). Packaging is kinda lame (bottle too stiff to squeeze!), but not a problem. I hope that it improves my skin tone a little, but that is yet to be determined.

About me:
I have combination skin, oily t-zone, dry everywhere else. I am not a major makeup wearer, but I'm not getting any younger, and want to make sure my skin stays moisturized. I usually stick to powders (like Bare Minerals Fairly Light) and tinted moisturizers (<3 Boscia!).

The Purchase:
I was going to get the Matte Bare Minerals powder, but this was only $1 more expensive, and the advertising said "VITAMIN C!" so I thought I'd give it a shot. I was impressed when i was able to blend it (in-store! with sponge) right on my face and it looked great. I have neutral fair skin, and it's tough to find something the right color.

Use:
I use Garnier Ultra-Lift wrinkle cream in the AM, and then applied this foundation. I found that it "balled-up" a little bit. I think the combination of products is more difficult these days. But, nothing too bad. I used 3 "drops" of foundation for my whole face, and it gave great coverage (goodbye pink sunburned nose). I applied with my fingers -although sponge would be great, I don't like making trash. Application with a brush would also work, but I'm worried that would look too heavy for me. Once applied - it does look dewy, and although I'm not a big fan, it does look pretty natural. I find it's better than my powder actually - I think my skin is less oily when I use this product. My plastic glasses are not sliding off my nose right now. I also feel better about myself b/c it has physical sunscreen.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2014 11:02:00 PM More reviews by chrononaut

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have dry skin except for my nose and have trouble with "luminating" foundations as they do not last, especially on my nose. My previous HG was ysl touche eclat but while I still love it, this is 25 dollars cheaper, lasts longer, and is a better color match.

It does take some practice though. At first it was very streaky and I had difficulty blending it in but then I decided to try it with my sonia kashuk multi purpose brush and buffed away. It's magic on my skin. I definitely wouldn't recommend this for someone with oily skin but if you have normal to slightly dry skin I think the finish would be absolutely beautiful.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/17/2014 1:02:00 PM More reviews by roberto40

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

the product itself is good and gives decent yet natural coverage although the shades trend to be a little too yellowish but I can't understand why it is so greasy, you need a lot of powder to set...........

rated 2 of 5 on 7/15/2014 1:06:00 AM More reviews by tricestar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wanted to like this Foundation, But unfortunately its not for me. Let me start off with the
Pros: Beautiful Finish. A little goes a long way. After buffing it on with my Sigma flat top kabuki,(I didnt purchase the brush that specially made for this foundation ) I looked flawless.
Cons: Does not hold up in HEAT!! It would melt off my face. I tried foundation primers and setting powders! Nothing work.
It oxidized! I would look in the mirror and I would be 2 shades darker then when I first applied.
So my search for the perfect foundation continues.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2014 4:36:00 PM More reviews by whitney83

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have found my forever foundation. I really hope they never stop making it because this is all I plan to buy when it comes to foundations. My skin looks gorgeous after I use this and it looks like I'm not wearing anything. It lasts me all day long and no joke I think it has improved my skin all around. I've been using just over a month now and I've had zero breakouts and the tone and texture of my skin have improved. I'm just in shock honestly how well it has worked for me. I didn't buy the brush because I wanted to try it out with my real techniques brush just to see how they worked together. I'm so glad I didn't buy it because the rt brush works beautifully with it. Would truly recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2014 3:31:00 PM More reviews by cashmerecatt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am editing and re-posting my review because I have used this foundation for over a month now and am very pleased with its performance. This foundation has healed a lot of dryness lingering around my nose, cheeks and chin from accutane after about a week of regular use (I am certain it was this because when I skipped using it for the weekend and re-applied Monday morning, the dryness had returned.) I feel that many people who are unhappy with it are applying it wrong and that makes me sad, so I am re-posting my application technique in hopes that it helps!

The first time I used this foundation I HATED it. It was streaky shiny and thin, showed every pore on my nose and cheeks and when I would touch my face it would smear right off. I later found out I was applying it wrong, too much product too quickly.

Best application: first I moisturize thoroughly and use a mattifying primer (POP Beauty's Face Magnet works well with this). I give that all time to dry/settle/absorb/whatever into my face. You have to shake up your foundation really well; I shake it by pounding it against my palm like a nail polish instead of up and down like a spray paint can - for some reason it mixes it up better.

(You know you've shaken it enough when you drop the liquid onto a brush and it sits in a bead on the top of the bristles. If it sinks down into the brush, it's too thin and you need to shake it some more.)

I add two drops to the divot in the middle of the brush they sell with it, dot the foundation onto each cheek, my nose, chin, and sparkle the rest on my forehead. And then I swirl and buff it all out keeping with the tradition of Leslie Blodgett.

You don't have to keep buffing and blending this one like you do most liquids. Just buff it to where the color is blended out and stop. Then (and this is important) I let the foundation dry for 60 seconds, before I repeat the process again for another layer of coverage. Drying time between layers and before powder makes a world of difference with this foundation.

For the second or third layer, I only dot the foundation directly onto problem areas (acne scarring on my chin, broken capillaries on my cheeks) and buff out from those areas to give them a little more coverage.
I have been using 3-4 drops to get the coverage I want during the day for summer, and I am powdering it with pressed mineral veil (Medium tone) to keep the heat and humidity from melting it away.

The result is amazing, super lightweight, airbrushed look, like my bare skin but better. People keep telling me I have flawless skin. I bought two bottles, one for my natural skin tone (Bare Shell 02) and one for when I have applied my self tanner (Bare Beige 08). I'm literally using drops at a time so I think the foundation will last for ages. The serum in it treats my skin and works well with my oil-free moisturizers.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/9/2014 6:19:00 PM More reviews by thebreezyboo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Meh. I have a strange relationship with this foundation....I like it but do not love it. I like it enought to not return it but dont plan on rebuying it. Honestly, if it werent for the limited ingredients which is huge to me I would dislike it more.

I do LOVE the way it applies and covers BUT it doesnt feel like it ever sets. This foundation feels like it slides all over my face all day. 4 hours in I am doing touchups with my powder foundation which I normally do not need.

Think I will re-try in the winter, maybe my skin will like it more then.

The search for my HG foundation continues. :/