Bare Escentuals bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

3.2

-Titanium Dioxide (11): Sunscreen.-Vitamin C: This skin-brightening superpower is known to fade existing dark spots and discolorations for more even-toned skin.Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Coconut Alkanes, Silica, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Lecithin, Glycerin, Maltodextrin, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Jojoba Esters, Propylene Carbonate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Soil Minerals/Syringa Vulgaris (Lilac) Leaf Cell Culture Extract, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phenoxyethanol. May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Lilac Plant Stem Cells.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium

I LOVE this foundation - sheer or full coverage - you decide! People complain that you cannot squeeze the drops out; but, that's the point. You're not supposed to. I use the regular BE primer. Then shake, shake and shake the foundation bottle. I use the brush recommended (name escapes me) and the foundation just drips right on the hollow. I start with 2 drops. I can do a very sheer entire face with that, or for a more formal look, 2 drops per side and then maybe 1 or 2 more to go over my entire face. My skin glows, never looks cakey and it is phenomenal at evening out my complexion. It is important to get color matched and practice. This is my HG foundation.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I think it's crucial to keep in mind that this product is part serum/part foundation, before purchasing. I find that it's best applied once skin has been exfoliated and well moisturised. Also best once the bottle has first been thoroughly shaken, then patted (emphasis on the patting) onto skin with a dry blending sponge. It's a vitamin C serum after all (not just a foundation), so I wouldn't recommend brushing/wiping it onto skin - serums are intended to deeply penetrate the epidermis, therefore pressing the product gently onto the face is the best application method. I also wouldn't recommend using a primer - it'll only create a barrier that the serum won't be able to properly penetrate, so you'll end up with the product sitting on top of your skin; unable to blend.

The coverage is medium with a slightly matte finish and it lasts for the majority of the day... Other reviews are right in saying that it tends to sit on skin instead of melting into it, but it's honestly not that obvious (especially when applied correctly), and I personally quite like that the vitamin C penetrates my skin while the foundation stays on top. It lasts longer that way and it's healthier for skin. I've tried lots of foundations - both liquids and powders, and I keep going back to this product. I'm a huge skincare fan and love knowing that this foundation works to help my skin (not just cover things up) as I go about my day.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I tried to like this product, but just doesn't work for me at all. First I purchased the recommended brush with the well for this product. I hate that brush. I found no matter how I applied this liquid foundation with that brush, streaks, streaks and streaks no matter how I buffed. I only use 3 drops maximum. So I was like try it with my beauty blender. That application worked very well, also with 2-3 drops. So how come I didn't like it.

No matter what powder I used, after about 3 hours it settled in my nose crease, and would crease under the bridge of my nose (I wear eyeglasses). I used the bare minerals veil recommended, Tarte amazonian clay powder, RCMA powder. MUFE HD powder. I even tried to use my It Cosmetics pore no more, nothing worked.

I found it creased with or without my primer. (Currently using smashbox photofinish, and YSL blur primer)

Looks great when first applied, but not long lasting at all and the creasing is unacceptable. I can only imagine how it would settle in fine lines. My recommendation if one is looking for a dewy finish get MAC face and body, it is fair superior to this liquid.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This made my face WAY too shiny and I like a fairly dewy finish. Worse yet, it settled into every pore and I don't have large pores. I can't believe how bad it made my skin look. I have aging but good skin due to my skin care and some laser treatments. Each time I tried this, I had to wash it off. Also, the shades run quite yellow. Get a sample before purchasing. For a light more realistic finish MAC Face and Body is far superior in my opinion.

I absolutely love this product but unfortunately it broke me out around my mouth and on my chin.

The packaging is great, just ensure you put the lid on until it clicks or the product may spill over when you take the lid off.

The finish is amazing and dewy and tended to last in me for a good few hours.

It really would have been my HG of foundations if it wasn't for the breakouts.

I do still use it now and again but not for more than a fe days.

A real shame as this product is fantastic!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

As is per the norm with most high end brands, the lightest shade is way too yellow for me :/ It's still a very nice foundation, I wore it indoors just to test it out anyway since I had high hopes for this stuff! I like the bottle and I actually like very wet foundations, so this met my expectations in that arena.

Pros: Almost weightless coverage, great for people with nice skin who just want a liquid version of their powder foundations. Easy to apply, has medium coverage and blends in well. I didn't notice any shine several hours into wear time on any of the six or seven times I tested this foundation out, but I do use finishing powder and setting spray. I like the bottle and I think it makes it a lot easier to dispense small or large amounts according to your needs.

Cons: The "gimmick" brush they recommend/sell with this seems to be a great way to suck up product without a lot getting on your face. You are much better off with a different brush, your fingers- maybe a beauty blender? As I said, the colors are way off for pale chicks, so I'd love an expanded color palette on either end of the spectrum. Just a tad more coverage too, if that's possible while keeping it lightweight. Did not seem to layer as well as I expected.

I honestly think I'm one of those weird people for whom this product is truly one (of many, since I love foundation too much to settle down and stick with just one) of my HG, go-to foundations. After reading all of the mixed reviews, I was wary picking this up, but there was a coupon, 5X points, a very forgiving return policy, and months of unwavering curiosity, so I figured there wasn't much harm in trying. I'm really glad I did. $29 for 1 oz. is a little pricey, but not compared to other brands like YSL or Armani (think Sephora), and for me personally, have had results comparable to this BareMinerals foundation.

For background, my skin is generally good. I have some larger pores on my nose, occasional breakouts, and some redness on my cheeks, but besides that my skin's pretty cooperative. It's combination-oily in the summer and combination-dry in the winter, with dryness around my mouth, chin, and nose. I think my skin's condition is central to why I love this foundation so much. There's not much I need to hide or smooth out so this foundation's natural to medium buildable coverage is perfect for lightweight, everyday wear (1-2 drops). When I want more coverage for special occasions or photos, it's relatively quick and easy to add a drop (for a total of 3 drops). I also think moisturizing liberally in the winter is a must for this foundation to work - because it will show dry patches - and carrying around oil absorbing sheets in the summer - because the natural, verging on dewy finish will definitely show shine on oily or even normal skin. It's somewhat of a high-maintenance foundation on those fronts, but the high blendability, perfect coverage without breaking me out, natural finish, SPF, color match, and lightweight feel make it worth it for me. (I can't say much yet about the supposedly "brightening" skincare properties of this foundation yet.)

I also get great wear time with this foundation. I moisturize, let the moisturizer sink in for a few minutes, pat in some primer on my forehead, nose, and chin (Too Faced Primed and Powerless in the pink tube), drip a drop of the foundation onto the back of my hand (I am NC20 in MAC and use this foundation in the shade Bare Linen), and using a finger, dot that onto one half of my face then blend with a brush (Real Techniques Expert Face Brush). The second drop goes to the other half of my face. Without blotting sheets, powder, or any kind of touch ups, I can easily go for 10 hours, though the coverage wears off a bit in oilier areas.

In terms of cons, the other reviewers who point out the flaws with the packaging are right on the money. Squeezing the bottle is a nightmare, it does get messy after a while, and traveling with it is a pain since not storing it upright makes for risk of "eruption" (I'm dreading the morning when I'll open the bottle and the foundation will "erupt" out of the bottle). Also, this foundation doesn't seem workable without a sponge, brush, or some kind of tool. I tried applying it with my fingers once but ended up with a streaky mess that used far more foundation than with a brush.

BareMinerals has really created a hit or miss product. This is a personal favorite for me, despite the packaging and maintenance, but I could easily see why more demanding skin that needs more coverage or oilier skin types would not like this foundation. If you have generally good skin that doesn't have too much to cover, are willing to commit to maintenance throughout the day, and don't mind using a brush every morning to apply this foundation, I would say give it a try with a generous return policy behind you. At the end of the day, it really is a matter of personal preference.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I am not quite sure how to review this. Like other reviewers I started out loving it, then started to find it very finicky.
For starters, it worked very well at first. Then I had issues with streaking and being patchy. I hydrate the hell out of my super duper dry skin and it still found any dryness and accentuated it. FRUSTRATING. But, I find that the less I use, the better it works.

The good points...lots of color choices. If you order this stuff from QVC (which I did) they do not carry the very lightest or very darkest shades. I do not know why. I have seen them at Ulta. I have cool, pale skin and wear Bare Shell and it's a pretty good match. So, there's that. It does NOT dry my skin or make me break out, so I would recommend for sensitive skin. The first few times I put it on I was in love--it worked GREAT!!! I only used 1 drop at a time and brushed it all over my face (I have the brush they recommend to go with it--with the silly little well in it. I do not know if it makes a difference but it is VERY hard to clean!) with swirling motions just like the regular foundation. Once it's on it leaves a nice glow and looks very natural--good if you do not want that made up, fake look. It's natural coverage to medium, buildable. Nowhere near a full so if that's what you want--skip this.

The cons. Oh boy, the cons.

I hesitated to buy this makeup for a LONG time because of the reviews on QVC about the packaging--but I purchased it as a part of another kit which was motivation enough to try (if I didn't like it I'd have the other products I ordered with it). This bottle is HORRENDOUS! After about a month, it clogs somehow or...something. But you'll turn it over to squeeze it and NOTHING comes out. So you shake the hell out of it and squeeze and...nothing comes out. Still. UGH! I put it away and wore something else for that day. The next day I tried it again. I turn it over and squeeze it a tiny bit and it comes SHOOTING out--all over my shirt, pants, counter--everything. AND it does not come out of your clothing easily. Probably because of the serum, I don't know. But UGH! After being fed up with that I stuck a needle into the small spout hole (doesn't that sound wrong--hahaha!) and pounded it in a bit and since then it seems to be behaving better.

It does have a slight smell to it--yes it is very chemically smelling even though BE is known for their more natural formulations. Huh. Well, whatever. BUT if you don't overapply it you will not smell it or notice it.

I believe that most peoples' problem with this makeup is A) they have oily skin. If you have oily skin stay FAR away from this stuff. It is not made for you. B) Application. This is not user friendly or forgiving. You have to apply it perfectly or else it will look like caca. Streaky, cakey, flakey in the dry spots. UGH. Not flattering. I put one drop on my brush. JUST. ONE. It's tempting to add more, but don't. I dab the brush lightly on my cheeks, nose, chin and forehead and then just like the other foundations--swirl it around my face with the brush. Over and over again. Then, if I feel I need more, I add another drop. NO MORE THAN TWO DROPS. Anymore, and it will be incredibly cakey. If you can turn it over and let it drip out slowly--that is your best bet. Too big of a squeeze--and you'll get way too much. As with other BE foundations--a little goes a LONNNG way.

Bottom line is this: I give this 2.5 stars but it's marked as 3 because I cannot give halves. I will not repurchase this stuff unless they change the bottle. The bottle is a disaster--they need to come up with something else. It's hard to squeeze--if you have any sort of weakness or arthritis in your hand this would be impossible to apply. For me--it works great. Sometimes. But if I forget to moisturize and Clarisonic my face or am just too dried out--NO. It looks terrible even though this product is for dry skin (because your skin is pulling any moisture it can get out of the product if you're too dry). If I accidentally put too much on--NO. It's horrible. It's a very finicky product. And there's no way to tell how much remains in the bottle. It is solid color on the outside. If they change this design--I will repurchase.

The price is steep--especially if you prefer to use the brush that comes with. Around $90, US. But, it will last awhile because you need so little.

All in all unless you are very patient this might not work for you. If you decide to try it get it from a place you can easily return it or have someone show you how to use it properly. You NEED some sort of applicator I think; not just your fingers. Apply it right and it's great. Apply it wrong and it's very, very bad. Buyer beware.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have always loved Bare Minerals makeup products so I wasn't expecting anything less than phenomenal when I purchased this. Needless to say, I was impressed. What I love the most about this foundation is that it's gentle on my skin and gives great coverage. I have oily skin so after wearing this foundation after a few hours without setting it, my skin does tend to get very oily. However, most foundations will do that to oily skin regardless. I just ran out so I will be stopping into ulta tomorrow to buy more :)

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I have been LOVING this foundation so far this winter season.

PROS:
Great color selection with lots of yellow shades
Great coverage
Natural, satin, flawless finish
Thin consistency
Lasts pretty well
Does not break me out
Looks really good in photos
Affordable for a high end product

CONS (not a big deal to me at all):
Doesn't really set
Very transferable
Messy packaging

I will definitely repurchase.

Video Reviews & Tutorials