Banana Boat Protect & Hydrate Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50

4.9

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (3.0%), Octocrylene (6.0%), Oxybenzone (4.0%) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Ethylhexyl Benzoate, Glycerin, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Cetearyl Alcohol, Dispropyl Adipate, Isopropyl Myristate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Phenylethyl Benzoate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Polyethylene, Sodium Polyacrylate, Caprylyl Glycol, Dimethicone, Coco-Glucoside, Triethanolamine, Ceteth-10 Phosphate, Dicetyl Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Mineral Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter (Shea), Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Iron Oxides, Chromium Hydroxide Gr

on 8/24/2015 9:51:00 AM

Is it perfect? No. But it's about as good as you can hope for from an inexpensive drugstore body sunscreen. I used this all summer in the Texas heat while exercising (think humidity and sweat). It absolutely delivers the advertised spf 50+, which for me blocks most rays but I still get a little color. It is mildly moisturizing but not greasy, dries down quickly, and seems to be both water and sweat proof (no annoying white streaks like I get with Neutrogena). No body breakouts, no weird allergic reactions, no sunburns from streaky application like the sport sprays. It also is about as close to unscented as you can get, having only a light "play-dough" smell which fades quickly. And now the bad: it can rub off onto darker clothes, and I even have to rub white marks off my car from leaning in the back to secure my dog. It's also a little too thick, making it somewhat dificult to spread easily and next to impossible to get the last ounce out of the squeeze bottle (a pump would have been great, but I think it's too thick to work). And of course, as a waterproof sunscreen, it feels a bit cloying and takes some work to remove. But considering it's less that a dollar an ounce, especially with sales and coupons, and available pretty much everywhere, I can totally deal with those minor drawbacks.

on 6/28/2015 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love this sunscreen! I'm very adamant with using sunscreen regularly so I've used quite a few different ones and this one is definitely one of my favorites. Even though it's a sport sunscreen, it does not have that greasy feel that sport sunscreens usually have, it feels just like a regular lotion. It also doesn't have that strong sunscreen smell, it does still smell a but like sunscreen but the smell isn't very strong.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants an affordable sunscreen that has the protection of a sport sunscreen without the smell or greasiness.

on 5/22/2015 8:56:00 PM

I absolutely love this sunscreen! It both protects and hydrates my skin. The best part is that it is non greasy and doesn't have a scent to it. I will def repurchase!

on 7/1/2014 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I'm surprised so few people have reviewed this. I had very low expectations and ended up being so pleased. This is lovely on the body and no break outs, so I tried it on my face. I have very dry skin and this works beautifully as a facial sunscreen too. Really, give this a try. It is so inexpensive - you've got nothing to lose. I am already on my second bottle and have a third as back up.

on 6/29/2014 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I love this! I hate wearing sunscreen on my body since many of them are sticky, goopy, whitening, or smelly. However, since I'm fair I need to wear it in the summer or I would get burned after a few minutes in the sun.
This lotion is hydrating, absorbs in about 2 mins, and leaves no white cast or stickiness behind. It's also not drying the way some alcohol or mattifying sunscreens are. It has no smell and says "fragrance free" on the bottle. This has actually been motivating me to wear sunscreen on my neck and chest every day, which is a small miracle since I hate putting anything on my body unless I absolutely HAVE to.

on 5/21/2014 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I'm a sunscreen junkie, and really like this one. I used it only on my body (I use primarily Mexoryl sunscreens on my face). I'm still mourning the discontinuation of Banana Boat's long gone Vitaskin series, which felt and smelled fabulous. This one doesn't have the great scent--it has a slight odor that's fairly inoffensive. But it sinks into the skin really well, without leaving any shine or greasy residue (after it sits for a minute to absorb) or white cast. As advertised, this product really does hydrate the skin--again, without leaving it feeling greasy--which is great for those who have dry skin. Finally, for those concerned about UVA rays, this is a broad spectrum sunscreen (2% avobenzone), and I love the high SPF.

on 4/9/2014 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I love this ss! It's a new product from Banana Boat, and I bought it on a whim at Walmart. I tried it out for the first time yesterday, and it worked wonderfully. I had a 2 hour drive (in the sun), and when it was all said and done my pale skin was protected (I didn't turn lobster red...yay!! lol). It sinks in fairly quickly and dries matte and clear. I was also impressed with the smell (or lack of smell). It is very lightly scented, and what smell there is doesn't last long outdoors.

PROS:
- UVA/UVB (I turn lobster red in sun...it's not pretty!)
- Non-greasy
- Light smell that isn't overpowering
- Sinks into skin quickly
- Water resistant (It says "water resistant" on the bottle, but I haven't had a chance to personally test that claim)

CONS:
- None atm

4/4/15 - My only qualm with this ss is that I've found it has a very light yellow hue. It's not noticeable while wearing it, but if you rub up against something white (ie rubbing it off with a white paper towel) you will notice the faint yellow. Again, it's not noticeable unless you're looking for it, but just fyi.