September 20, 2014 | 1752 users online

Pressed Powders - NYX - Primal Colors - PC07 Hot Red

rated 3 of 5 on 9/2/2014 8:46:00 PM More reviews by eaorb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I wasn't aware that this was not an eye shadow until I looked at the poor ratings here on MUA for this product. I looked on the back of the product and it does say "face color" and "makeup for the face" - it makes no mention of this being an eye shadow. Of course, I had been using it as an eye shadow - I was on a hunt for a red eye shadow for months and I was so happy once I found this product sitting at Ulta! Now I'm a little off-put by this revelation.

My review is based off of my experience of using this product as an eye shadow, and not a "face color" (whatever that is). It isn't as vibrant as it appears in the package (though it is definitely red). It doesn't stay on too long all by itself and fades with time - more so than a regular eye shadow would, I would say.

To this day, I still have not seen another red eye shadow (or anything that resembles a red eye shadow, like this product) for sale inside of a retail store :( *sadness*

rated 1 of 5 on 4/1/2014 1:27:00 PM More reviews by IndustryKoda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Color comes off as pink, not red. Very disappointed as red is hard to come by for the eyes and this looked like it would be the end of my search.
No, none of the primal colors are for use in the eye area. It isn't Ulta or any other retailers fault. Retailers set up the makeup displays according to the brand's instructions. I have said it since the Primal colors came out that it is intentionally dishonest to us NYX fans. Their excuse is that it is meant for theatrical/face makeup.
Now, if you want to use them for the eye area anyway, do so with a nice heavy silicone based primer to help protect against staining and irritation. I use Hot Black primal colors and it is the best I have used for shadow, cat eye liner etc.
I think its time to buy Sugarpill red eyeshadow...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2014 9:46:00 AM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

While at Ulta, I was on the hunt for the perfect brow product and I stumbled upon the NYX section, which had proudly on display the whole of the Primal Colors collection. I spotted Hot Red. I lost my marbles. A bright, primary red eyeshadow? Good heavens! I nabbed it immediately and brought it up to the counter to pay.
When I got home, I opened it and swatched it and was fairly pleased with the pigmentation. It's not the greatest, but over primer, it's sufficient.
The texture is decent. Not especially buttery, but not grainy or rough.
So the next day, I used it for a photo shoot and was again rather pleased. Its staying power was lovely and it didn't fade to pink or muted brownish red like some other red shadows. Good performance.
However, and this is a BIG flaw - on NYX's site, there's a disclaimer: "Not for use in eye area." WHAAA? First off, I always look on the packaging of products to check for suspect ingredients, and to the best of my memory, I cannot recall ever seeing this printed on the label. Maybe I'm wrong. But why oh why would they have these displayed with the eyeshadows at Ulta? Not okay. Perhaps this is Ulta's fault. Perhaps I missed something on the packaging. But if something is not approved safe for the eye area, it should be made VERY clear. Capital letters. Not included as an afterthought.
While I did not have a reaction to the product, I don't feel safe using it near my eyes. I may try other interesting looks, or use it as a way to add a brighter, matte finish to lipstick, but otherwise, I'm not sure I have much of a purpose for this in my stash.
Such a disappointment.