August 21, 2014 | 2189 users online

Liquid - Chanel - Perfection Lumiere Velvet

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2014 11:41:00 AM More reviews by RxSalon

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Cannot understand any negative reviews on this one. It's absolutely incredible. For a no make up "make-up" look this foundation delivers. My skin looks so natural, clean, soft and even. I don't feel any heaviness or that "I must wash off now" feeling. It makes skin look soft and warm. I use this with the Chanel Blanc. Love that too. Chanel has done an outstanding job here. And the smell..

BTW, I am 44 years old. I have breakout skin, oily. I use additional sunscreen. So important that products do not clog! This one does not at all, at least not so far.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2014 5:10:00 PM More reviews by gossamer1013

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

After the heartbreak of discovering Mat Lumiere has been discontinued, I started the search for a new one. I found this to be completely non-buildable, pasty/chalky looking, clings to whatever bits of skin are left from previous breakouts. If the look I was going for were to have very obvious foundation that magnifies my pores and settles into lines I didn't even know I had all while disappearing from my nose leaving me with a shiny, shiny spot, this would be the one.

Yes, the fragrance is strong, but if I can stand No. 7 matte foundation, which smells like Valerian root, that's not a deal-breaker. (For those of you who don't know what Valerian root is, it's an herbal sleep aid that's been described as having the scent of horrible foot odor. Other say that that's not fair to those who suffer from horrible foot odor, as Valerian smells much, much worse.)

The best thing I can say about it is that Chanel is supposed to have a good return policy so I won't have to live with it. I've given it a week, apart from one morning where I was in a rush and didn't have time for the endless blending one must do to get the streaks out (and instructions say not to use sponge or brush with this). Feh. This is not one you can just blend into splotchy areas (I'm looking at you fondly, Mat Lumiere) and call it good enough. No, you're going to need a comfy makeup chair because you're going to be blending a long, long time. How can something this liquidy make one look so covered in flakes *and* oily? It's like they found the best of both worlds, and then created this in an alternate, horrific dimension where every day is opposite day.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2014 6:08:00 PM More reviews by iwikiwii

This foundation is amazing. It covers acne so nicely, and it doesn't even feel like you're wearing any product with it on!!
Not to mention it looks so natural: it gives you that kind of that-girl's-skin-is-so-naturally-flawless-she-doesn't-even-need-foundation look, if you know what I mean. The staying power is also great! My only complaint is it is a little pricey. But if you can get the money for it... I say it's definitely worth it! <3

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2014 5:15:00 PM More reviews by beverlywho

I absolutely love this formula. It is very runny and perfect for building up without caking and smells lovely (in my opinion, anyways; the fragrance is a little fruity). It sinks into your skin to create that perfect can't-even-tell-I'm-wearing-foundation finish. The coverage is sheer to medium, so I always follow up with my Nars concealer to cover up my acne scars that peek through. Not the MOST mattifying of foundations, but it does not melt off by the day's end (after blotting once and touching up with powder a few times). I am NC20-25 and the 20 Beige was a great match before I got significantly tanner the past month. A frivolous complaint I have is with the opaque black packaging, which makes it impossible for me to tell how much I have left before I have to repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2014 10:53:00 AM More reviews by louise97

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

This foundation gives a lovely matte-velvet finish, although it does not keep me completely shine free, it is still my favourite foundation that I own. The coverage is light-medium and does not feel heavy on my skin - I can barely feel it when I put it on!! I did not suffer from any break outs when I first used this which is great!! It has a slight scent which I like and blends nicely but dries quickly, the packaging is sleek and fits perfectly into my make-up bag. The only downside to the product would be the price, I bought mine for £33 which is quite expensive however it is a Chanel foundation and because I love the product so much I am willing to pay this much again. I also must add that I have been using it for around 2-3 months and I feel like it is beginning to run out (my Bobbi Brown BB cream lasted me a year!!) which is annoying because it is so expensive BUT I really like this product so I probably will repurchase :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2014 9:25:00 AM More reviews by Kathy123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Chanel had one good foundation for oily skin and they discontinued it. It was called Double Perfection. After this highly beloved foundation, I haven't been liking their foundations at all. This is watery, which I do not mind, but gives no coverage and is pretty streaky. In other words, it sits on the skin without blending. If I am buying Chanel, I am expecting Chanel high end quality. This, on the other hand, fails in quality compared to common drugstore foundations such as Revlon and L'Oreal. Compare this with L'Oreal's True Match at 1/5 of the price. LTM blends well, looks and feels better and is much more durable on oily skin. I don't recommend this even to my enemy. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/13/2014 11:21:00 PM More reviews by huiyann92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Coverage is moderate, with SPF 15. I generally have oily skin, with a little bit of acne scars and skin tone that is prone to redness. This foundation evens out my redness, although it does not provide much coverage for the acne scars. It's supposed to have a matte satin finish, which sadly only last for 2 hours?! I already had laura mercier oil free primer under and bare minerals mineral veil to set it. After 2 hours my face appears oily at the T-zone area. All in all, for the hefty price, I don't think it is worth it at all. I have tried better foundations from clinique (using the same primer and loose powder regimen) which had lasted much better without giving my face the oil slick look. I really regretted buying this. Sigh...

rated 2 of 5 on 7/13/2014 4:26:00 PM More reviews by carab

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

The first time i used this foundation i did like it, the smell the texture and the finish it left on my skin was great. But after applying the foundation in the morning by mid day i notice this foundation sliding off my skin and the look of my skin became very shiny and oily. My pores also looked twice the size and i felt i had to apply another layer of foundation,

When using a SPF under this foundation i noticed it begins to roll off my skin and in the past couple of weeks of using this foundation i've had a terrible outbreak of spots and lumps and bumps under my skin and i'm 90% sure its because of this foundation as nothing else has changed in my skincare or make-up routine. I also felt this foundation to be drying on my cheeks too. I must say for the price of this foundation i'm very disappointed i had high hopes for this but it just doesn't work for me i'm afraid

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2014 1:09:00 PM More reviews by kimbowee

I am fair-skinned with freckles and made a trip to my local Chanel counter to find a sheer-medium coverage foundation that won't give an oily sheen. While I can pull off the "dewy" look in colder months, the summer means oily t-zone for me. I would like to add that I can never find foundation light enough for me and the only match I have ever really had was MAC nw10. The saleswoman immediately matched me to 12 beige rosé. The application in-store left a little to be desired, but I knew my own application would improve the look. I apply this product using my beauty blender and it gives me the perfect, even skin tone I am looking for without leaving my face barren of freckles. A little goes a long way. It dries with a true velvet finish and looks very natural. One thing I will point out is that a primer is definitely necessary due to the lightweight nature of the product. I have been experimenting with some mid-range primers and am getting close to the right combination.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2014 2:35:00 PM More reviews by MelissaMH

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product didn't work for me at all. While it delivers what it promises (a velvet complexion), it does so with a lot of alcohol and fragrance. I found the alcohol content to be overwhelming, leading to a dry complexion and teary eyes (I tend to have dry skin to begin with so this probably wasn't a good choice from the start). The color (BR12, the same as I wear in VA) seemed a little yellow despite the shade's name. Vitalumiere is a better choice for my skin.

EDIT: While I still think Vitalumiere Aqua is a better choice for me, I have begun to like this product. For me, it's all about the primer, and that is the case for any foundation I may use. With this foundation, I have to use a more emollient primer, such as Le Metier's Replenishing Daily Solution (which is really a moisturizer/sunscreen that happens to make a great primer, too) to cut back on some of the dryness this foundation creates. Chanel's Base Lumiere primer also works. The right brush is also key: I use Trish Mcevoy's Mistake-Proof Sheer Application brush, a dual-fiber "skunk" brush, for the sheerest application possible. It's also a good product for my mild rosacea as it works well at eliminating redness. I'm still not certain that I will purchase a full-size bottle once the generous samples the Bergdorf Goodman counter gave to me have run out. Perhaps I will, now that I know how to make it work. Stay tuned.