March 1, 2015 | 938 users online

Masks - Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) - 40% Lactic Acid Peel

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2014 1:37:00 AM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

For reference, I have dehydrated-normal skin. I wanted to use this chemical peel to fade the red-purple acne scars had gathered over the years. I have had success with lactic acid in the past, and this product was no exception.

I have used lower strength daily-use lactic acid products in the past (e.g. St. Ives scrub-free exfoliating pads) which do a good job at evening my skin texture and keeping away small pimples, but with those I only see a small amount of fading in acne scars over a long period of time. With a single chemical peel, I see overnight results in fading my acne scars that would take the St. Ives pads about a month or two. (I'll note that I don't know if these results are the norm.)

I do a chemical peel every couple of weeks to supplement my daily-use AHA toner. I've gone through about half of my trial size/1 oz bottle, which is quite generous considering how little I use each time. It's easy to use, and I apply a thin layer to clean, dry skin that I swipe with the pH prep toner that was incuded. I do experience slight stinging and redness when it's on, but after 3-5 minutes I rinse it off with soap and water. I apply a thin layer of a Vaseline to slightly damp skin (I would normally use a regular moisturizer with humectants underneath but as my skin is slightly red still at this point I don't want to irritate i) and I'm done in under 10 minutes.

Overall, I've been really pleased with how this product has helped fade my acne scars and improve my skin. If you've had success with lactic acid in the past and want to speed up the fading of any acne scars, this is worth a shot.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2014 1:13:00 AM More reviews by mybeautycravings

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

After spending a lot of money at local aesthetic clinics, I canít tell you how excited I was when my overseas shipment of 40% Lactic Acid Peel from Makeup Artistís Choice (MUAC) arrived.

There was a very slight tinkling sensation upon the first touch of serum on the skin. But it was fine. No pain, no discomfort. I had it on for 7 minutes. My face was just slightly flushed. After about 4 days, there was slight flaking near my nose and lips.

Check out before-after photos and 25% discount code at: http://bit.ly/40lactic

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2013 7:01:00 AM More reviews by Guidedogmom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Came accross MUAC's Lactic Acid while looking for Vit. K oil believe it or not. Decided to try Lactic Acid based on reviews. BEST THING GOING. For ever, I have what seems like permanent melasma, or dark shading. My dermantologoist has prescribed a retin A based topical which mildly helped but not really and he did not offer much hope. After 4 weeks of 1x a week using MUAC Lactic Acid my skin was soft but not much else. I re read the directions and saw Lactic Acid can be used 2x a week and that is what made the difference I have to make sure my face is hydrated well before the 2nd usage of the week but the result is fantastic. I have NEVER had a clear face and I am not 20. Who knew make up would not be a patch n cover the bad stuff task, but a 10 minute joy. My best advise is let your skin tell you when it's time for 2nd application. Watch the dryness and do light at first. I tried using my own astringent which made the treatment sting. The PH astringent is important.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 10:57:00 AM More reviews by joooliagoolia

I have been battling moderate acne for the past 4 years. In the past six months I started getting nasty cystic breakouts that left behind some minor scarring and some not so minor post inflammatory hyper pigmentation (those red marks that healed pimples leave behind). I was finally able to clear up my skin but it still looked I had a face full of acne due to those pesky suckers. Throughout my 4 year struggle with acne I've been through the ringer looking for products that would speed up the usually 6 month long process of ridding my face of all the red marks. Enter MUAC. This 40% lactic acid peel is a lifesaver. I actually use this peel every other day for about 5-7 minutes and my red marks have lightened about 30%. I know it doesn't sound like much but I want to cry I am so thrilled...usually that kind of progress would take months. This is the first beauty product I would ever label "miracle". I also used this in conjunction with Paula's Choice AHA. Please use A LOT of caution when using chemical peels..it is not recommended to use them as often as I can and if not used with the upmost caution they can cause nasty permanent damage to your skin. That being said, don't wait another second to go buy this product if you're trying to get rid of PIH! I can almost guarantee it will improve the quality of your skin in more ways than one.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2013 4:59:00 PM More reviews by crmelody

Wow, wow, wow. This is everything everyone says it is. I bought this one specifically to fade acne scars.

glycolic - sun spots/wrinkles
mandelic - just to even skin
TCA - for the impatient

Let me just echo everyone and say that MUAC is a great company. They truly care, and they aren't trying to rip people off. You can get samples. There are coupons and sales. The full-size is $30. I can't even get one facial for less than $70! Ridiculously fast shipping also.

I never had scars (though I always was acne-prone) until I tried Devita's SPF three years ago. It broke me out horribly. I thought I would have to live with the scars for the rest of my life. I was so glad to stumble on the world of AHAs. I removed my cleanser with Lavender Oil, which slows down cell turnover, and jumped in. That cleanser helped lessen breakouts (the lavender oil), but it made my skin dull. I don't use essential oils on my face anymore, aside from tea tree on the occasional spot.

Here's how to use it:
First, DISCARD ALL EXFOLIATORS, esp if your skin is sensitive or not used to peels. This includes retin-a, vitamin c, benzoyl peroxide, bha (salicylic acid), the Clarisonic, scrubs, clay masks, creams with aha or bha, and many, many more products. Don't tarnish your experience with this by combining it with other exfoliants because your skin will turn pink or will get irritated/react, and you will blame it on this and miss out.

Second, the first time, try it for ONLY one minute. If you have a terrible reaction, the consequences will not be severe if you only try it for one minute (better yet, patch test). Also, by trying it for a minute, you can immediately locate certain areas that are more sensitive than others and either avoid them or apply the solution on those spots last. The main reason for putting it on for a minute is to see how your skin reacts to gauge how you will proceed.

Don't apply it to any open wounds, cuts, acne that just popped, etc. It is okay to apply it over acne that is not open, though.

I put it on for a minute, and my skin was fine. No pink. So from this experience, I knew I could safely bump it up to 3 minutes, no problem. Also from this, I knew I needed to skip the area that connects the lowest part of my nose to my face (really sensitive there, and I'm not the only one from these reviews). I completely skipped that area with all peels thereafter.

The next week (don't do it twice a week, please; slow and steady) I did it for three minutes. From that three-minute segment, I realized my nose/forehead is more sensitive than everywhere else and would only be able to handle three minutes max. So from there I adjusted to the current routine I have now, which goes as follows:

1. Remove makeup, clean face with a soap-free cleanser. I use Fresh's Soy and jojoba oil to remove my eye makeup.

2. Use toner provided (when it runs out, buy witch hazel from Whole Foods; I use the Thayers rose witch hazel since it's moisturizing).

3. I start the timer on my phone and then apply product to cheeks first, mainly the areas I bought the mask for.

4. At about the 2:00 mark, I apply it to the rest of my cheeks and up to my temples.

5. At the 3:00 mark, I apply it to the rest of my face, starting with the least sensitive to most sensitive, so in this order: chin, forehead, upper lip, nose. Then I use my brush to rub in the excess on my cheeks again. (I use the Ecotools biggest eye brush from their eye collection brush set: whole set for only $10).

NOTE: Rubbing it in or applying an extra layer makes it more potent. Don't do that to sensitive parts of face.

6. At the 7:00 mark, I wash my face with warm water. After my face is rinsed, I grab my baking soda in a cup (which is already at the counter) and put some of the warm water in it, just to make it wet. I then cover this over my entire face. It stings a little, but it completely neutralizes the acid - something water does not do alone. Rinse.

7. It says to clean face again, but there really is no point since your face is as clean as it ever will be. But if you want, you can use the gentle cleanser they provide. I just skip it and apply the toner on again per the instructions.

8. After I'm done with the toner, I put on my favorite night cream, Merlot's from Walgreen (only $15). I smother my face in this. I may also layer an oil underneath that I know works well with my skin. Some use argan, which is great at preventing acne for me.

9. Sleep. Drink water. Use spf and moisturizer for the next week: SPF every day going out and night cream every night. In seven days, you can give it a go again.

These are the things I gather together when I'm going to do a peel:
1. phone (for timer function)
2. hair clip or scrunchie (to get hair completely off face)
3. cleanser (Fresh's soy for me)
4. peel and toner (+ cotton pads for toner)
5. baking soda in a cup
6. ecotools big eye brush
7. Merlot night cream

I use Neutrogena's breakout free SPF 30 in the day.

My scars were 50% less visible in just a mo. They will be completely gone by six mos or sooner, of that I'm completely confident. Once they are gone, I will just stick to the mandelic once every two weeks with the gly-luronic whenever I feel like it to keep things looking smooth/even. I don't plan on using lactic acid for all my life. For the impatient, there's the TCA, but I like to go slow and steady. If I wanted to get a TCA peel, I'd just go to a spa. I can't afford downtime or burns or the anxiety of using something that strong, so I stuck with the gentle lactic acid. It gets the job done -- and quickly. I don't plan on upping the % because this is working just fine on what I bought it for - removing acne scars. I'd sooner increase the time than up the percentage.

Skin the day after - looks tan, kind of dull. Skin two days later, decent. Skin three days later, glowing!

43 out of 43 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2013 4:49:00 PM More reviews by maryam

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I used the mandelic before buying this and i prefer the mandelic. this one is more viscous than the mandelic and i did not peel/flake from it but it seemed to not do much at all. maybe because the mandelic had already exfoliated a lot? it also has a strange scent.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2013 5:38:00 PM More reviews by amywauc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used the Lactic Acid peel for the first time a few days ago. I washed my face with neutral soap and then applied the peel as directed. It burned a bit but not too bad. When I washed off the peel and then washed again with the neutral soap, I noticed my blackheads were all on the surface and other impurities came to the surface and I was able to use a washcloth to remove them. I was happy with the results. The price is not bad too. The next day I noticed my skin looked pretty good, a bit dry, but good.

I was more happy with the TCA peel and glycolic though. This peel is good with no down time because you do not go red and there is hardly any peeling so you can go to work the next day.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by RadishTime

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried this once a week for 3 weeks back in december, and then just finished a course of once a week peel for 6 weeks. (this was using the 1/2 oz sample size...and I stil have half the bottle left. there are a lot of uses in there!)

I kept hoping it would be better with time, but I think I've used it long enough now to say that it is not for me.
My skin is sensitive and a little on the dryer side so this just may have been to harsh for my skin, or perhaps the 1x a week exfoliation (using no other actives while I was using this) was not enough to keep my skin clear.

While I am a huge fan of the 25% mandelic peel, this made me flaky and irritated my skin, and did not make a noticeable difference in clogged pores like the mandelic did.

While I do think this peel would be able to fade acne scars and dark marks, I found myself breaking out more while using this product, creating new dark marks, and defeating the purpose of the peel.
I will go back to using the mandelic peel 2x a week.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 12:37:00 AM More reviews by smsbell

I have only had BHA peels professionally done a couple of times prior to trying this lactic acid peel so I was very nervous about doing this at home. I literally cannot believe that you can buy a product that is so quick and easy to use that gives this type of result! I wish I would have found this years ago. Follow the directions exactly, don't mess around with the steps or time limits. After fighting acne for several years, I am down to occasional breakouts, usually due to products. My skin clogs from everything (I'm still trying to find a sun screen that doesn't engorge my pores or cause breakouts). Using this stuff makes my skin soft, glowing, keeps my pores clean, seems to help my other products work better and even seems to be helping with the bumpy, crepey skin under my eyes. I bought the glycolic to try but haven't gotten to it yet. This works so well, I don't know if I really need to go up in strength or try any other types of peels. You can literally do this A-Z in 10 minutes. I am careful not to use my ProActiv scrub on the same day or any other harsh products for 48 hours and my skin as no real peeling or irritation, the dead skin just seems to ...disappear. I do wish they gave twice the amount of the PH stuff as you use that twice each time, so you go through it twice as fast as the peel. Reviewers have said witch hazel works just as well and since it is so cheap, I bought some of that to try out.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2012 10:32:00 PM More reviews by cbrulee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Just finished my third peel in 14 days and I'm very happy with the results. It has smoothed my skin more then any other product that I have used, and has lightened my sun spots. YAY! This is my first purchase from MUAC and I am very pleased with them.