November 25, 2014 | 1753 users online

Masks - Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) - 40% Lactic Acid Peel

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2014 1:13:00 AM More reviews by mybeautycravings

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

After spending a lot of money at local aesthetic clinics, I canít tell you how excited I was when my overseas shipment of 40% Lactic Acid Peel from Makeup Artistís Choice (MUAC) arrived.

There was a very slight tinkling sensation upon the first touch of serum on the skin. But it was fine. No pain, no discomfort. I had it on for 7 minutes. My face was just slightly flushed. After about 4 days, there was slight flaking near my nose and lips.

Check out before and after photos at: http://bit.ly/40lactic

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2013 7:01:00 AM More reviews by Guidedogmom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Came accross MUAC's Lactic Acid while looking for Vit. K oil believe it or not. Decided to try Lactic Acid based on reviews. BEST THING GOING. For ever, I have what seems like permanent melasma, or dark shading. My dermantologoist has prescribed a retin A based topical which mildly helped but not really and he did not offer much hope. After 4 weeks of 1x a week using MUAC Lactic Acid my skin was soft but not much else. I re read the directions and saw Lactic Acid can be used 2x a week and that is what made the difference I have to make sure my face is hydrated well before the 2nd usage of the week but the result is fantastic. I have NEVER had a clear face and I am not 20. Who knew make up would not be a patch n cover the bad stuff task, but a 10 minute joy. My best advise is let your skin tell you when it's time for 2nd application. Watch the dryness and do light at first. I tried using my own astringent which made the treatment sting. The PH astringent is important.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 10:57:00 AM More reviews by joooliagoolia

I have been battling moderate acne for the past 4 years. In the past six months I started getting nasty cystic breakouts that left behind some minor scarring and some not so minor post inflammatory hyper pigmentation (those red marks that healed pimples leave behind). I was finally able to clear up my skin but it still looked I had a face full of acne due to those pesky suckers. Throughout my 4 year struggle with acne I've been through the ringer looking for products that would speed up the usually 6 month long process of ridding my face of all the red marks. Enter MUAC. This 40% lactic acid peel is a lifesaver. I actually use this peel every other day for about 5-7 minutes and my red marks have lightened about 30%. I know it doesn't sound like much but I want to cry I am so thrilled...usually that kind of progress would take months. This is the first beauty product I would ever label "miracle". I also used this in conjunction with Paula's Choice AHA. Please use A LOT of caution when using chemical peels..it is not recommended to use them as often as I can and if not used with the upmost caution they can cause nasty permanent damage to your skin. That being said, don't wait another second to go buy this product if you're trying to get rid of PIH! I can almost guarantee it will improve the quality of your skin in more ways than one.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2013 4:59:00 PM More reviews by crmelody

Wow, wow, wow. This is everything everyone says it is. I bought this one specifically to fade acne scars.

glycolic - sun spots/wrinkles
mandelic - just to even skin
TCA - for the impatient

Let me just echo everyone and say that MUAC is a great company. They truly care, and they aren't trying to rip people off. You can get samples. There are coupons and sales. The full-size is $30. I can't even get one facial for less than $70! Ridiculously fast shipping also.

I never had scars (though I always was acne-prone) until I tried Devita's SPF three years ago. It broke me out horribly. I thought I would have to live with the scars for the rest of my life. I was so glad to stumble on the world of AHAs. I removed my cleanser with Lavender Oil, which slows down cell turnover, and jumped in. That cleanser helped lessen breakouts (the lavender oil), but it made my skin dull. I don't use essential oils on my face anymore, aside from tea tree on the occasional spot.

Here's how to use it:
First, DISCARD ALL EXFOLIATORS, esp if your skin is sensitive or not used to peels. This includes retin-a, vitamin c, benzoyl peroxide, bha (salicylic acid), the Clarisonic, scrubs, clay masks, creams with aha or bha, and many, many more products. Don't tarnish your experience with this by combining it with other exfoliants because your skin will turn pink or will get irritated/react, and you will blame it on this and miss out.

Second, the first time, try it for ONLY one minute. If you have a terrible reaction, the consequences will not be severe if you only try it for one minute (better yet, patch test). Also, by trying it for a minute, you can immediately locate certain areas that are more sensitive than others and either avoid them or apply the solution on those spots last. The main reason for putting it on for a minute is to see how your skin reacts to gauge how you will proceed.

Don't apply it to any open wounds, cuts, acne that just popped, etc. It is okay to apply it over acne that is not open, though.

I put it on for a minute, and my skin was fine. No pink. So from this experience, I knew I could safely bump it up to 3 minutes, no problem. Also from this, I knew I needed to skip the area that connects the lowest part of my nose to my face (really sensitive there, and I'm not the only one from these reviews). I completely skipped that area with all peels thereafter.

The next week (don't do it twice a week, please; slow and steady) I did it for three minutes. From that three-minute segment, I realized my nose/forehead is more sensitive than everywhere else and would only be able to handle three minutes max. So from there I adjusted to the current routine I have now, which goes as follows:

1. Remove makeup, clean face with a soap-free cleanser. I use Fresh's Soy and jojoba oil to remove my eye makeup.

2. Use toner provided (when it runs out, buy witch hazel from Whole Foods; I use the Thayers rose witch hazel since it's moisturizing).

3. I start the timer on my phone and then apply product to cheeks first, mainly the areas I bought the mask for.

4. At about the 2:00 mark, I apply it to the rest of my cheeks and up to my temples.

5. At the 3:00 mark, I apply it to the rest of my face, starting with the least sensitive to most sensitive, so in this order: chin, forehead, upper lip, nose. Then I use my brush to rub in the excess on my cheeks again. (I use the Ecotools biggest eye brush from their eye collection brush set: whole set for only $10).

NOTE: Rubbing it in or applying an extra layer makes it more potent. Don't do that to sensitive parts of face.

6. At the 7:00 mark, I wash my face with warm water. After my face is rinsed, I grab my baking soda in a cup (which is already at the counter) and put some of the warm water in it, just to make it wet. I then cover this over my entire face. It stings a little, but it completely neutralizes the acid - something water does not do alone. Rinse.

7. It says to clean face again, but there really is no point since your face is as clean as it ever will be. But if you want, you can use the gentle cleanser they provide. I just skip it and apply the toner on again per the instructions.

8. After I'm done with the toner, I put on my favorite night cream, Merlot's from Walgreen (only $15). I smother my face in this. I may also layer an oil underneath that I know works well with my skin. Some use argan, which is great at preventing acne for me.

9. Sleep. Drink water. Use spf and moisturizer for the next week: SPF every day going out and night cream every night. In seven days, you can give it a go again.

These are the things I gather together when I'm going to do a peel:
1. phone (for timer function)
2. hair clip or scrunchie (to get hair completely off face)
3. cleanser (Fresh's soy for me)
4. peel and toner (+ cotton pads for toner)
5. baking soda in a cup
6. ecotools big eye brush
7. Merlot night cream

I use Neutrogena's breakout free SPF 30 in the day.

My scars were 50% less visible in just a mo. They will be completely gone by six mos or sooner, of that I'm completely confident. Once they are gone, I will just stick to the mandelic once every two weeks with the gly-luronic whenever I feel like it to keep things looking smooth/even. I don't plan on using lactic acid for all my life. For the impatient, there's the TCA, but I like to go slow and steady. If I wanted to get a TCA peel, I'd just go to a spa. I can't afford downtime or burns or the anxiety of using something that strong, so I stuck with the gentle lactic acid. It gets the job done -- and quickly. I don't plan on upping the % because this is working just fine on what I bought it for - removing acne scars. I'd sooner increase the time than up the percentage.

Skin the day after - looks tan, kind of dull. Skin two days later, decent. Skin three days later, glowing!

37 out of 37 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2013 4:49:00 PM More reviews by maryam

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I used the mandelic before buying this and i prefer the mandelic. this one is more viscous than the mandelic and i did not peel/flake from it but it seemed to not do much at all. maybe because the mandelic had already exfoliated a lot? it also has a strange scent.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2013 5:38:00 PM More reviews by amywauc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used the Lactic Acid peel for the first time a few days ago. I washed my face with neutral soap and then applied the peel as directed. It burned a bit but not too bad. When I washed off the peel and then washed again with the neutral soap, I noticed my blackheads were all on the surface and other impurities came to the surface and I was able to use a washcloth to remove them. I was happy with the results. The price is not bad too. The next day I noticed my skin looked pretty good, a bit dry, but good.

I was more happy with the TCA peel and glycolic though. This peel is good with no down time because you do not go red and there is hardly any peeling so you can go to work the next day.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2012 9:53:00 PM More reviews by xclusive

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've used this peel for several weeks now and the results are pretty good. There is no downtime at all, you could do it any time of day. My skin is acne prone with acne scarring and combination, I started off with a minute and am now up to 5 minutes. The first couple of times I experienced slight burning and irritation but it goes away when you wash it off. After the peel my skin looks immediately fresher and more radiant, scars look less visible and my tone is more even, however I have experienced alot of purging from this and have more pimples than I started off with. I hope this purging doesn't last much longer, have used it twice a week and about 5 times now. Will update.

Update 6 months*
I love this peel! I use this once a month and the results are amazing. I use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser then witch hazel to prep, smooth the lactic acid on with my fingers in a thin layer and leave for up to 10 minutes. I rinse off with water and apply the witch hazel again and then rosehip oil. It was irritating for the first few uses but after that your skin gets used to it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2012 2:17:00 AM More reviews by lilblacksky

This peel gives you RESULTS, and when I say results I really mean visible results! When I went to school the day after I did this peel, my friend commented on how much evener/brighter my skin looked. I told her I had done a peel the day prior and she was surprised that a product could have such instant and visible results.
I have tried several peels from MUAC (mandelic 25%, TCA 8% & 12%, Fade peel) This and the mandelic 25% is my favorite. The 40% lactic acid is very gentle yet very effective. It is really awesome for lightening and fading acne scars/PIHP (whereas the mandelic seems to be better for evening out uneven texture and bumps) A light 1-layer peel will significantly brighten up and even your skintone without any peeling / irritation / redness. I sometimes layer it on as a "spot treatment" for the darker acne scars and that sometimes results in minor flaking but faster fading. I have used it for 6 months now (ranging about 4 days to 2 weeks between treatments) and I have had no adverse effects, just my skin looking a bit greater every time. HG peel for me, I will continue to rebuy as long as they make this. No downtime at all, just brighter evener skin! And so very affordable, a sample of this will last you months.
(PS I have light skin ~NC15, I'm not sure how it will affect darker skinned gals and guys)

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2012 11:09:00 AM More reviews by MojoWorkin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

REALLY helped my acne prone aging skin. Thanks for a great product! Reasonable price too! Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2012 1:37:00 PM More reviews by BluEydQT

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have rosacea around my nose and cheeks, and fine lines by my eyes from smiling so much. :) I used this peel last night for the first time and left it on 5 minutes. You can leave it on anywhere from 3-7 minutes so I chose the average time. After I applied it there was a slight warm and tingling sensation which made me feel it was working. I was slightly red once I washed it off but 30 minutes later the redness was gone. I really look like I just had a facial done at a fraction of the cost. I will definitely continue using this as I feel it took 10 years off of my face. I also use the Rosacea Complex and will write a separate review for that.