July 30, 2014 | 1209 users online

Pressed Powders - Guerlain - Les Voilettes Pressed Powder

rated 5.0(1 review)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 9:55:00 PM More reviews by fashionfreak678

PROS: mattifying, velvet finish, extends wear time of foundation/tinted moisturizer, convenient lightweight packaging
CONS: none (other than cost and quantity of course!)
"DUPE": Besame Brightening Violet Powder

After seeing Guerlain Les Voilettes Powder Compact reviewed on Temptalia I just had to have it! This, along with La Petite Robe Noire, launched my obsession with Guerlain products!

APPLICATION and APPEARANCE: Les Voilettes comes in 3 colors. I purchased the Medium for my light-medium skin tone. It doesn't impart much color however as it is very translucent. This powder is wonderful for setting your tinted moisturizer or foundation (I personally pair it with TheBalm's BalmShelter tinted moisturizer.) A light layer gives your skin a matte velvet finish, not at all chalky. The black pouf it comes with is fabulous, so soft! I don't think there's any need to use a different applicator.

PERFORMANCE: I have combination skin, so whether my skin leans oily or dry is dependent on the weather. But my T-zone is the area that usually gets oily. With Les Voilettes my face stays shine-free nearly all day on average.

SCENT: Scented with Guerlain's signature violet fragrance. It is the same scent used for Meteorites. I personally adore it, but it may not appeal to everyone. The smell is not detectable once applied to the face.

PACKAGING: The packaging is pretty, it is a simple shiny, reflective gold metal compact. It doesn't have the heft associated with luxury products unfortunately, but the fact that it's lightweight makes it easier to carry around! Comes with a velvet pouch to protect from scratches.

LONGEVITY OF PRODUCT: After using it for about 3 months, on a somewhat regular basis, I have already hit pan. I plan to avoid using this as much as I can and instead use Besame's Violet Powder as an alternative in order to conserve it. Once I am able to, I will purchase the loose powder version of this product as loose powders last much longer than compacts. They are not as convenient but that's okay.

Highly recommended!

Affordable Alternative/"DUPE": If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, a product that performs in a similar fashion is Besame's Brightening Violet Powder (a loose powder, but Besame does sell a pressed version that is a bit pricier.) The lavender color gives you a brightening effect but is still translucent. You get the exact same velvety-smooth finish Les Voilettes has without looking chalky. The powder is of course violet-scented but it is completely different from Guerlain's- it is less perfumey, more organic with stronger green notes, very light and delicate. The packaging is retro-inspired, and comes with a pouf as well. At $22, the price is less than HALF of Les Voilettes's!