August 30, 2014 | 1707 users online

Conditioner - Redken - Color Extend Magnetics

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Kiwiblue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this conditioner. Beautiful scent, leaves hair soft and manageable yet not weighed down. I do use the matching shampoo but find this works best with Redken hair cleansing cream. Bottle not great, hard to get the product out at times.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/18/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by sciencegeek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This conditioner has been a disaster for my skin. Sometime after starting to use it, I began to develop bad chin acne (cystic, white heads, you name it). Naturally, I thought my skin care was to blame. I changed my skincare but the pimples got worse. So I stopped using foundation. My pimples continued to get worse. I notice some weird spots developing on my shoulder and back of my neck. And that's what make me wonder whether the damage to my chin was being caused by my hair products. After using another shampoo/conditioner duo for a week, my skin not only stopped worsening but also improved drastically. It cleared up soon after. Last week, I tried using only the Redken conditioner paired with another shampoo. Ta dah, my chin is again populated with ugly and angry looking spots. I was quite surprised because I am very careful. I never wash my hair in the shower and I always cleanse my face after shampooing and conditioning.

Apart from the horrible skin reaction, this is an ok conditioner. Nothing marvellous but does a good job at softening the hair a little. I think it preserves the colour ok but only to an extent. I also think this is full of cones and just coats the hair instead of doing anything positive about is condition.

This experience has taught me three things. First, it's not a good idea to use a shampoo/conditioner system exclusively. It's good to mix up. Less build up, less boredom and any side effects are halved.

The second thing I learned is that hair care can cause me to breakout very badly. I have long hair and wear it down a lot so it touches my face a lot. I also sleep with my hair down. So instead of going bonkers about your skin care or make up, if you're breaking out check your haircare ingredients!

And finally, I believe I have narrowed down the list of ingredients that could be causing my skin reaction. I did some research and according to a journal of Chemistry, cetearyl alcohol even though it's not comedogenic on its own, becomes so if some other ingredients are present, namely some cetyl esters. Either way, some cetyl esters are highly comedogenic on their own. The thing is, Reken (and most brands) put cetyl esters in the ingredients list but do not specify which cetyl esters they are talking about (there are several different cetyl esters). Basically it's like putting the ingredient 'fruit' on your yogurt label. Ok, but what fruit is it? There are many different fruits! This, of course, makes it more difficult for the consumer to understand what is actually causing a problem. So what I am trying to do is coming up with haircare without cetyl esters. See if that works. If not, might try avoiding dimethicone. I really think it's the cetyl esters though.

On a nutshell, ok conditioner, nice pink package, comedogenic ingredients that might cause acne on the face where the hair touches in predisposed individuals.The matching shampoo is almost as bad and it makes my scalp itch.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2014 10:57:00 AM More reviews by cosmic007

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I purchased this for my daughter about 3 weeks ago, as she has hair that's colored with a demi-permanent. She absolutely loves it! She credits it with saving the condition of her hair (as she had a debacle with highlights, and then a powder bleach was applied, then colored again) Her hair was not in very good shape before this conditioner came along. I'm not entirely sure that it does anything to extend the life of color, but we'll pay close attention, and update the review when we're certain.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2014 9:25:00 AM More reviews by fayray00

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Over the Christmas holidays, I purchased the set that came with the Shampoo, Conditioner and Quick Dry Spray. I had been using a cheap, L'oreal color shampoo and conditioner for about a year and hoped I might get some more life out of my color treated hair with Redken.

The conditioner is very thick and creamy. Which is nice except getting it out of the bottle is a bit of a chore. Especially because the plastic on the 250ml bottle is too thick to squeeze. So when this product starts running low, it's really hard to get it out. It also has that chocolately scent to it like the shampoo also does.
I usually apply it to my hair after rinsing my shampoo out, and then leave it in my hair for about 5 minutes. After rinsing, my hair feels pretty good. No greasy feeling. Once my hair is dried, it looks great. Nice and shiney and very soft. It also extends the life of my hair color by 2 weeks compared to my previous color care conditioner.

Pros:
Hair looks and feels great
Kept color looking fresh for 6 weeks

Cons:
Smell (I'm not crazy about the chocolately smell)
Packaging