L'Oreal Colorist Secrets Haircolor Remover

on 9/6/2015 1:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

First off my hair started out in January as super dark brown very thick corse and dry. In the last month I have been determined to go dark blonde at home. Let's just say I screwed up and it ended up orange/red. I have used color oops in the past and I knew it wouldn't pull enough of the color out of my hair to allow me to get it where I wanted to be. I found this at Walgreens and it worked within minutes. It said 20 to 50 minutes however I watched it closely and washed it after 15 minutes. It turned my hair yellow/orange and I was finally able to dye it with a dark blonde box dye and get the correct color without all of the brassiness! The only down side I do have is it DOES contain bleach so it will dry and damage your hair so condition condition condition!

on 8/12/2015 10:13:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I have a bit of a long history with this product, and a HELLA long hair history. I'll try not to ramble too much. BASICALLY:

Years and years ago, I dyed my hair black for roughlyyyy like....5 years I want to say? I never just did the roots, I re-colored the whole thing every two or three months. One day I decided to go back to my natural, and after using Color Oops and not getting great results from that (it lightened a bit, buuut I also had multiple boxes of dye in my hair, so) I tried this. It worked great - it left me with a color almost exactly like my natural (I'm pretty sure it didn't just uncover my natural hair color, I think it was just the orange shade it made my hair was pretty darn close).

Experimented with bright red for a while some time after that. Used this after I used a dye that was SUPPOSED to be bright flaming red turned period-blood red/brown. Got my hair to a yellow/orange mess but it was good for putting my next color over.

Both of those times, it didn't really damage my hair. Dried it out, but not a ton of damage. NOW ONTO MY MOST RECENT ADVENTURE WITH L'OREAL HAIR COLOR REMOVER:

I bleached the absolute living hell out of my hair back in March (sorry, hair!) Had to cut a bunch off but no big deal to me. Had green hair for a few months, then went back to black. Now, I've only had two boxes of black dye on my hair since going back to black. My hair had recovered pretty well - wasn't great, but it was certainly much better than it was back in March. And AGAAAAIIINNNNN decided to go back to my natural (when will I LEARN). Got two boxes of this in case I'd have to do two go-rounds with it.

This time though, I'm really disappointed. First off, I don't have a lot of hair. Its shoulder-length, thin-to-average, and the left side of my head is shaved. So, yenno, you'd think one box would do 'er. I had to use both though, and could have even used more if I had it (dunno why I didn't remember that from using it previously, but that was a few years ago)

It lightened some parts of my hair, but others are still black. Also, it killed my hair. Like, bleach-damage level of killing my hair. It's not gummy, but it's in that weird straggly stage, dry, crispy ends. I left it on for about 30 minutes. I guess I should have expected that though, having already damaged hair? Probably my bad, honestly.

Soooo yeah, I dunno. I have mixed feelings about this because it worked so well back in the day, but my recent experience with it was poor. I'm using Color Oops to hopefully remove what's left of the black in my hair.

I gave 3 lippies because I did have good experiences with it, but please be mindful if you have damaged hair already as this will probably mess it up even further. Looks like bleach, smells like bleach, yada yada. Also, the tiny amount of product you get in one box is ridiculous, which is also why I knocked off some lippies.

Hope this review helps someone at least a bit, even though it's so scattered, haha. It's worth a try if your hair is in pretty good condition. And BUY MORE THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED. Like I said, I have basically half a head of shoulder-length hair and I needed two boxes.

Also, not-really-important-but-thought-I'd-include-it-anyway tidbit of info: I haven't been able to find this anywhere other than Walgreens for a while now. It used to be at Walmart and Target but now it's only at our local Walgreens? Dunno if that's the same for others or not.

on 7/26/2014 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I used this after accidentally dyeing my hair pewter grey. My underlying color was bleach blonde. This worked extremely fast; I was back to a level 10 from a dark dark grey in 5 minutes!

My only caveat is that this spreads like a powder based bleach -- you have to sort of smash it in rather than running it through. I hate this texture, as I think it creates damage. It's probably a pain on long hair, too (I have a pixie).

It didn't tone at all, of course, but it also didn't damage my hair. The European/UK equivalent Colour B4 took almost an hour and made my hair look ROUGH, so Colorist Secrets is a real gem.

on 3/11/2014 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I am about to change my hair color, and I forgot to pick up Color Fix while I was at Sally's, so I stopped by my local Walgreen's and bought this. It was the only haircolor remover they had in stock. I bought this expecting it to be what it says it is right on the front of the box, an "artificial haircolor remover". How silly of me. I mean, who expects packaging to easily display what the contents of the box will actually do?

I figured it would be similar to the Jheri Redding Color Fix I have used in the past, which removes any artificial dye from your hair, leaving you with your natural hair color (and hair smelling of farts for several days afterward).

The L'Oreal Haircolor Remover is ******NOT****** an artificial hair dye remover that will return your hair to its natural color. It's hair BLEACH. It bleached my roots but was unable to bleach my black hair dye I have on my hair. I didn't find out it was bleach until I went to rinse it out, and saw my bleached copper-orange roots. I did not want to BLEACH my hair color out because I know better than to try to bleach black hair dye out of your hair.

Thanks for the deception, L'Oreal. Now I'm out almost $13 and my hair is spotted. I will never buy this again.