July 29, 2014 | 1150 users online

Lipstick - NYX - Matte Lipstick - 2014 Expansion

rated 5.0(1 review)

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2014 8:58:00 AM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

When I found out that NYX was expanding their matte lipstick shade range, I nearly jumped out of my seat. I already have about five or six shades from the original range and I've loved every single one. So naturally, I was mucho excited for the new colors.
I decided to go with the two purple-toned colors - Aria and Siren. And I adore them both.
First, the texture is not unlike the original matte range. It's creamy, almost like a satin-matte rather than a flat matte, and doesn't tug on or dry out my lips like other brands' matte shades tend to do. These lipsticks apply incredibly evenly and have amazing color payoff.
Aria is a dramatic magenta tone. It looks quite purple in the tube (which is why I bought it), but on the lips, it's definitely more of a dark pinky purple. The shade is absolutely gorgeous and unlike anything I own. I was hoping the color would be true to what is in the tube, but I'm still not disappointed, as the result is actually a very unique color. What's especially interesting about this shade is that it has the faintest blue flash, which in any normal circumstance would make the "matte" name a misnomer, but the finish is still matte, so I won't squawk about it. The subtle flash gives this color a lot of dimension and interest, even though it's nigh undetectable once applied. It just gives the color a certain extra something.
Siren is my favorite of all the matte shades, including those of the original line. This color is absolutely stunning. It's a very dark red-toned plum with, like Aria, a slight iridescent flash that is hard to see on the lips, but very apparent in the tube. It creates quite a lot of interest to what can sometimes be a very dull shade if not executed properly. I find this shade to be very true to color to what is in the package. This is opaque with one coat (though I still blot and reapply to get maximum staying power), and doesn't gather in the corners of my mouth like some other dark shades tend to do. When paired with a brown, grungy eye look, this can take on a very "shabby chic" look, but when paired with simple black liner and loads of mascara, it looks classy and sophisticated. I'm not one to shy away from wearing bold lips to the office, but I'd say this would even be a safe bet for those who are a bit more faint of heart, because it's really a beautiful color.
Packaging of these lipsticks is the only downfall, which was the problem with the original line. The bullet swivels loosely in the tube unless you wind it all the way down and diligently make sure it clicks, otherwise, it can just swivel up and mash into the cap. Again, the abundance of print detracts greatly from the appearance, so it's not particularly attractive to look at.
Price-wise, the new range is the same price as the original range. I paid about $6 each for these lipsticks, which is pretty great considering the terrific quality of the product.
Definitely worth checking out!