Anastasia Of Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade - Dark Brown

4.4

on 4/24/2015 5:19:00 PM

I finally indulged in this... didn't really need it, but I sure did want it! Although it's not too expensive, it is on the pricier side as drugstores seem to be coming out with brow products left and right. Unfortunately for me, drugstores DON'T make black/DEEP brown brow gels/pomades (only pencils, and not even the retractable kind!!!!). Why...? Not everyone is blonde or medium brunette, you know! But anyway, back to the review...

COLOR: I bought this at Sephora with a surprising 10% off (I didn't even know there was a sale going on), and purchased it in EBONY. Being mixed with asian descent, my hair is dark dark brown - not black - but when I spend time in the sun, it almost gets a golden-brown orangey hue. When I asked the lady at Sephora which color to select, she encouraged me to buy Chocolate or Dark Brown. However, although my hair does have some brown tones, I certainly know that my brows don't, which is why I ignored her recommendations (glad I did). EBONY is perfect for my black-sometimes-brown hair, and any other brown would be way too orange/brown for me. Some complain that the color turns grey and I have not noticed this. Perhaps you are applying too heavy..? and personally, grey would suit my hair anyway hah!
TLDR; I adore this color as I previously purchased the brow wiz in Ebony, equally as amazing.

APPLICATION: I apply this with a light hand because my brows are sparse and I'm not trying to look like I drew them on. I believe that this is the downfall for so many ladies who want that heavy, dramatic brow and arch that looks amazing in pictures (especially on celebrities) but.. not so much in person. IF you apply this with an angled brow or liner brush, you should be able to create a perfect, natural brow with light application. The first time I applied the pomade, it was WAY too dark and I freaked out and washed it all off, but I learned 1) dip brush in softly 2) apply in small, soft strokes to emulate hairs.

STORAGE/LASTING POWER: My brows look the same as when I first applied them after 12 hours, and I don't even apply that much! x10 better lasting powder than brow powders (for me, because I have dry skin) and I don't set this (perhaps I should?). This could potentially last me 3 years with the amount that I need, however, being an former avid gel liner junky, I know that these stupid glass pots dry out no matter the formula. I store mine upside down and always make sure to close it after dipping my brush.
***I WILL update MUA if I find that it dries out (or doesn't) within a few months (I'll be PISSED if it does, and I'll be sure to let you know exactly how pissed!) ... TO BE CONTINUED :)***

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I honestly adored this product when I first bought it. It was phenomenal. I was very sparse and the product did me proud. You have to be very careful to dip the brush in it and wipe some off because it is extremely pigmented and you dont want sharpie brows.
its been about 4 months now and the first thing I've noticed is that my pot has gone very dry. Now I dont need to wipe off my brush at all and I actually have to really scrape at it to pack it on. The staying power has also been reduced incredibly. After about 5 hours this product is all over the place (mind you I actually have thicker brows now and less sparseness- go figure) Im actually considering not repurchasing this again. I have tried to apply it before my foundation too, just to see if the foundation was the smearing culprit. Same result. I even tried to set my brows with powder. Again, same result. i hate when a product seems holy grail in the first month or so, and then in the next month they completely lose their functions. Its so conniving and deceiving of companies to do this.

on 3/30/2015 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

i use this every single day on my eyebrows and i absolutely adore it. it's definitely waterproof and lasts a very long time. the formula is very creamy and pigmented, only issue i have with it is the container it's in - there is a LOT of product in there, which is definitely a good thing, but it gets dry over time. definitely not to the point of being unusable, but it ends up being slightly less creamy than how it started.

on 3/27/2015 5:02:00 AM

This is my favorite brow product out there!
The reason why i prefer this over my Anastasia brow wiz is because of the longevity. I don't have to touch up dousing the day!

First time i used it i thought it was way to harsh. So a tip is use a super thin angled brush with a really small amount of product on. Then draw small hairlike strokes to get a natural looking brow.
I would say that the price is quite high but its all worth it! This product last forever because you need such a small amount.
And the packaging is lovely.

Love it, defiantly worth a try.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Like everyone else Iíve was sucked into the hype of this product, lucky for me I love it! I live in Australia and bought this from beauty bag which costs me less than 20 bucks Ė so cheap! The shade I bought was taupe, I have blonde hair which is platinum with ash blonde and this is a perfect fit for me. This product is really easy to use, gives your brows a beautiful polished look that stays all day. A little goes a long way with this product, literally tap your brush on top and that will be enough to work with, people who find it hard to use are more than likely using too much. Tap then go back for more as you need and brush with your spooly as you go. While this product claims to set your brows in place I still use a brow gel as I donít really think it sets them. I also recommend using an angled brush designed for brows as it will make your life much easier. I would highly recommend this product, even if youíre after a natural look you can still achieve it using the pomade.

Pro:
Easy to use
Price Ė good value for money
Many shades
Highly pigmented
Lovely packaging

Cons:
None that I can think of

on 3/22/2015 3:30:00 PM

I first started with Ebony, then tried granite. It wasn't until this cute gay guy at ulta pointed out why I was not satisfied with either. First off, as great as ebony may look in FILTERED pictures or from far away, in real life up close it looks like someone took a sharpie n drew on your brows. The sales associate also pointed out that after a few hours it turns greyish which is totally true. I tried granite and hated it on my skin tone as well I thought cause I had pitch black hair it would look great but totally wrong. So he put dark brown and it looked way more natural, not over powering but still able to define. If you're not super tan or dark skinned but Olivey pale then dark brown should be your color of choice! I love it! Makes such a difference. :)

I love this product because of how perfect it makes my brows look. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, a little goes a long way. Yes, it can be difficult to work with, which is why I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, but yes, it will make your brows look amazing if you can work with it.

You need a good stiff brush to apply, and I like to warm the container up a bit before applying the pomade. It seems to help. I tap my brush and do a gentle wiggle, just to work a little product up into the brush. Then I tap the brush into the top of the lid, work the brush a little to and fro, then tap again, just to work the extra product off and get a nice even coat.

I gave into the hype a little while ago and tried this product. I love it for a more done up look, but prefer a powder for a more natural look.

on 3/16/2015 5:47:00 PM

this product works wonders but is hard to work with. especially if you're just starting out with it. i'd buy it again for sure but its really kind of expensive, then again you get a lot of product seeing as though you don't need a lot at all. light strokes with the brush you apply with is really helpful! hahah! its easy to mess up though.

on 3/13/2015 7:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I had to buy this stuff because all of the talk! I love how it gives my eyebrows and nice smooth finish! A little goes a long way. So for it to be 18$ I guess it's worth it lol

on 2/27/2015 6:20:00 PM

After hearing and reading lots about this product, I knew I had to try it... And I LOVE it!! I was unsure what colour to get- dark brown or chocolate, I went for dark brown and it's the perfect shade!!
Some people think the price of it is dear... I personally think it's fairly reasonable. Especially when you realise how long it'll last- I've barely used any and had mine months!!
Now you do need to go steady with it and not too heavy handed... I get what people mean when they say it doesn't give a natural look, but I think that's when you go wrong and use too much product... When used right=poifect 👌!!
I haven't got the Anastasia brush, I just apply mine with a small angled brush, works great.
Stays put all day and doesn't smudge like you may think... Kinda dries like powder.
Definitely one of the best eyebrow products out there... In fact the best I've found!! 💁

Popular Brows Products