February 27, 2015 | 2015 users online

Loose Powders - Tarte - Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2015 12:42:00 PM More reviews by carolinelovesbunnies

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I received this powder in a mini size from a kit. I love most all Tarte products (especially their maracuja oil). I found this powder to be meh-ok. It is too drying for skin that gets flakies... I felt it dried out my skin too much. The finish was a bit too dull-matte as well. I prefer a bit of a luminous finish. A little does go a long way with this though. The mini version's packaging is frustrating due to the holes out of which the product dispenses being a little too small.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2015 2:22:00 AM More reviews by vanypink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

MY HG FINISHING POWDER!!!

ok so at first, when im on prescription my skin is normal-light dry so when i put on makeun (read bb creams and foundation) no shine at all... im pleased.
but i know i cant count on the pills forever so i decide to stop the precription and my skin becomes nomal-oily. which i quite like cuz u know, the heatlhy glow kind of thing. BUT when you put on makeup...trust me..THE SHINE was extremetly disturbing, not healthy at all i promsie. sooo i come to suf the internet searching for the best finishing powder to oily skin that most likely wouldn.t clog pores. and i come across a beauty blogger which i subscribe on for quite a long while ago and she said this one is her HG. thats more than enough to convince me to buy the sample size of this.
the sample size is veryyy tiny with two little dots, so i couldn't use the lid yo swirl my Sigma tapered face on it to get the product, im using the lid from bread instead. tap on my Tzone...and i reall2 suprise when im at work and go back at all wihout feeling cakey or heavy on my face. this one absorb my natural oil and set my bb cream really really well!!!

i would suggest this to normal-oily skin type. nif you are to the oily-ver oily zone of sin type, i suggest to use silica powder from coastal scents or MUFE, they're doing the best during the heat of my vacation whereas my face matte and photo friendlyyyyy yaay~

as for the price of full size i would say its reasonable cuz this product will last you for a while. the trial size alone is enough for 1 month +1-2weeks.
yeah, you just need so little of this product i believe.

will defenitely repurchase this if im run out, wbut im keeping my option open for better loose finishing powder eventho i think it wont cbe for quite a while :)))))))))

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2015 1:37:00 PM More reviews by Jenhaas504

I bought this on a whim, I was looking for the Makeup Forever Setting Powder but Ulta doesn't carry Makeup Forever, so I decided to give this one a try. Realllllly glad I did!

I paid about $30 for it, which isn't too bad considering I have read that it will last a long time, and a little does go a long way with this stuff. Its like putting velvet on your face, omg, its so smooth and I really feel its helps blur my pores in a huge way! I did combine it with the Tarte Pore minimizing Primer, so I am sure that helped a little too. But this finishing powder is well worth the money and I am really loving how its making my makeup look. My only real complaint is the packaging, it sucks. The lid get loose really easily and I am so scared it going to open up and make a mess, and well its so finely milled its all over the place on the inside of the package, I sure hope Tarte improves this aspect of the product.

Overall, its a definite must try!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2015 12:35:00 AM More reviews by TwinklePrincessBoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a great finishing and pore refining powder. I really liked the Make Up Forever finishing powder but I had to use a lot so the value wasn't very good. This one recquires less and really lasts on the skin. I have oily skin and enlarged pores so this works very well for me.
I apply with a small mineral foundation brush under my eyes and with a large kabuki brush for my whole face and I don't need to reapply or anything, it has a really awesome blurring affecting for any skin imperfections and feels really good on, like a soft veil rather than a heavy powder. I will be repurchasing when I run out, I only have the trial size that came in the Bon Voyage set but at this rate I will not be needing to rebuy for a while!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2014 10:14:00 PM More reviews by tmill

I really like this powder. It's very finely milled and feels silky on my skin. It doesn't feel or look cakey, just gives a nice matte finish. It does a decent job of controlling shine, so long as I'm using the right moisturizer under my foundation. It also does a nice job of concealing my large pores.

Since I have combination skin, I like to powder my T-zone with a puff, but use a brush to dust it on very lightly on my cheeks. It's for this reason I gave the packaging 1 star--I have to transfer it into another container so I can use the puff effectively.

I have noticed that it does lighten my foundation just a smigde, which works well for me because I can't quite seem to find a perfect match for my bottle-tanned skin in the summer, so using a slightly darker shade and offsetting with this works just fine. I have to wonder, though, if I only dusted with a brush instead of using a puff, would it still lighten the color? I'll have to try that.

I should also mention that I tried using the recommendation to tip it over on its lid and tap it a couple of times. I don't know what the problem was with that particular container, but the top came off so when I opened the container after tapping, I was met with an avalanche of powder. Fortunately, I was able to rescue a good portion of it that was magically balanced in a mountain on the container and transfer it to another container.

In terms of staying power, for me, it all depends on which moisturizer and primer I'm using. I've found lately that using Mac Prep + Prime Moisture Infusion instead of moisturizer and primer is proving to be a good route to go in terms of keeping everything matte throughout the day.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2014 2:38:00 PM More reviews by missn74

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I only have the small jar but let me tell you this small container will last your forever. I wanted a untinted powder that will set my makeup for all day. The powder is softly milled to the touch and so it made my skin velvety. It sets to a matte finish and keeps your makeup lasting for several hours but you may have to set it a couple of times throughout the day. Your makeup won't be looking nice as it you first applied it. If you have dry skin it will cling on to dry patches and creases into the fine lines making them looking worse than it was before. It also lightens your foundation and makes it look grayish looking? Whenever you use white powder over darker skin tones there is a white film laying on top and this is what it does. So no it's not good for camera and photo taking.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2014 9:53:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got a mini size of this loose powder in some value kit so my rating of the packaging (not terrific) may not apply to the full size powder that is sold in stores.

I've been impressed beyond belief with pretty much everything I've purchased from Tarte and this powder is no exception. It leaves no trace of itself once applied except perhaps for a bit of a luminous glow. It's great for controlling oil breakthrough on my nose without making the rest of my face look dry. The only "downside" is that it's a loose powder and, like any loose powder, it can be messy to use, especially if you're in a hurry and not paying attention and it's not great for taking along in your bag for touch-ups.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 8:49:00 PM More reviews by sureflowsheena

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

LOVE LOVE LOVE this powder! It has become my HG, replacing MUFE HD powder which started to leave the white ghost glare in photos. It controls oil well, sets makeup perfectly, diminishing and smoothing out any imperfect areas. I'm not a fan of the packaging though and sometimes get frustrated trying to get the product out from the bottom of the container through the holes - it gets annoying having to constantly turn upside down and shake. Then, when you get down to your last few uses you have to take the insert out if you don't want to waste any product. But, aside from that, this has become a beloved gem in my makeup routine to get that flawless finish and keep the oily skin controlled.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2014 10:49:00 AM More reviews by arielicious

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This was a pretty mediocre powder in my opinion. It isn't cheap and only works like any average powder. My key use of applying powder is to keep my skin matte but this doesn't do much for my oily skin in hot summer weather. I had bought it due to raves from beauty youtuber frmheadtotoe. She had also recommended tarte's blush in exposed and I had loved it. The packaging of putting some on the cap does not appeal to me as much. It has no scent whatsoever and does look nice when first applied to makeup. After 3hours, I need to blot my face on my T-zone. After 5-6hours, I need to blot my cheeks and rest of my face. Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2014 7:03:00 PM More reviews by wovenbyrd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Really like the finish, packaging and feel of this product.

1. Finish- matte and natural but not cakey. Looks good in photos.

2. Packaging- screwtop lid with the shaker top. I upside down the container to tap the bottom lightly and then open it. There is a suitable amount of product on the underside of the lid which also gives me room to swirl it around to distribute on the brush. Really convenient especially when you have 8am lectures.

3. Feel- OH MAN GUYS the finish is so silky and smooth its fantastic.

Didn't like the lasting power:

4. Lasting power- when I get home from school only my nose will be some degree of shiny but I don't reapply during the day so that is somewhat expected. My skin is combination so that might be why.

Forgot to mention a little goes a long way so the price is actually okay.
Would rebuy if I lost or used up.