Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

4.3

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is probably the best powder I've used for my mostly oily, sensitive skin. I've been using this powder for almost 4 years now and the formula has changed but it's still the best in terms of oil-control and one of the best for smoothing out my large pores.

Pros:
-best oil-control I've used in a powder (old formula was even better at oil-control but still beats other powders in the new formulation)
-smooths out texture, lines and pores very nicely (I see a huge difference in the way my pores look when I use this versus other powders, one of the best powders for this purpose)
-gives a super smooth and silky feel to your skin. bronzer, blush and highlight glide and blend over it nicely
-sets foundation really well even with a small amount, leaves no tackiness behind from foundation
-lightweight
-very finely milled
-non-irritating, doesn't break me out
-makes makeup last amazingly (does this better than other powders. makes it very resistant to water and sweat)
-gives an airbrushed almost flawless, soft-focus effect
-cruelty free, vegan

Cons:
-can be drying/dehydrating (but not as much as the old formula. This powder is much better for oily, combo skin)
-not the best for setting concealer around your eyes (only due to it being a bit too mattifying, I prefer Nars Light Reflecting loose powder for my undereyes)
-cannot "bake" with it (you should avoid baking with all silica-based powders to prevent flash back)
-can leave behind a somewhat powdery look if not blended in properly
-can emphasize dryness and flakiness (if you prep the skin well it won't happen)

Back when my skin was very dry, I disliked this powder because it was way too mattifying on my skin. Now, that my skin is mostly oily again, I love it. I try a lot of powders from high end to drugstore, both silica and talc based and I always come back to this. It's smooth, lasts and controls oil, blurs pores, lightweight, sets foundation perfectly and gives a really nice finish. It does everything I need in a powder. Most powders either look really beautiful on the skin but it doesn't last or it controls oil and lasts well but doesn't look very nice on. This does it all.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been looking for a good powder for a while now, and I decided to splurge on this one. It's the first time I bought a higher end powder, and I am so glad I did. I use this powder over my liquid foundation (Benefit's Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow), and it keeps me matte all day. I put it on at 6:30AM and it lasts until I take it off at 9:30PM. It looks natural and feels weightless on my face. Plus it makes my skin feel so soft!
I'm still hurting a little from the cost of this. I expect I could find a similar product for a few dollars less, but I haven't yet. Also, the packaging isn't great. I haven't had any spills, but the cap sort of creaks when I close it. I think I might break it if I'm not careful.

i was so disappointed because I love this product so much but unfortunately the packaging was what killed this for me. The powder got everywhere to the point that I couldn't use it anymore.

I swore I'd never touch another Tarte product after having so many epic fails, mostly due to the products causing acne...not just any acne, but painful and throbbing cystic acne. I'm not even sure why I didn't toss this product in the garbage from the get-go after having these experiences. This was free, it was a deluxe sample I received from Sephora with something or another. With that being said, I can't really comment on the packaging as it was a sample size sifter container. However, it lives up to it's claims. This powder is silky smooth to apply, and when using a kabuki brush, it doesn't take much of the product to cover your face well. I feel like I'll never run out of this sample sized product at this rate! It keeps my foundation looking matte much longer than any powder I've tried. It does have a minimal effect on smoothing/blurring imperfections as well. It doesn't seem to cause acne for me which is a huge plus. I would have to agree with some of the reviewers who have claimed that it leaves a white cast after application, and it does but it lasts only moments before it assimilates to your face. Overall, I'm glad I didn't toss this sample and actually gave it a good try!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is my HG powder and I have been using it for about 5 years now. My skin has dry patches but can also get oily and this powder really evens out both textures without emphasizing the dry skin. It also feels really good on the skin and I don't really find that I need to re-apply during the day. Even on days where I'm staying in sometimes I will apply this to control my oil and keep pimples from developing. One thing that sucks is that they changed the packaging since I started using it, before it just had one little hole in the middle and you had to smack the container to get the product out but at least it made it last forever. Now whenever I open the lid I always end up spilling some or putting too much on my brush which drives me mad because it's so damn expensive in Canada and a little works better than too much.

I received this powder in a mini size from a kit. I love most all Tarte products (especially their maracuja oil). I found this powder to be meh-ok. It is too drying for skin that gets flakies... I felt it dried out my skin too much. The finish was a bit too dull-matte as well. I prefer a bit of a luminous finish. A little does go a long way with this though. The mini version's packaging is frustrating due to the holes out of which the product dispenses being a little too small.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

MY HG FINISHING POWDER!!!

ok so at first, when im on prescription my skin is normal-light dry so when i put on makeun (read bb creams and foundation) no shine at all... im pleased.
but i know i cant count on the pills forever so i decide to stop the precription and my skin becomes nomal-oily. which i quite like cuz u know, the heatlhy glow kind of thing. BUT when you put on makeup...trust me..THE SHINE was extremetly disturbing, not healthy at all i promsie. sooo i come to suf the internet searching for the best finishing powder to oily skin that most likely wouldn.t clog pores. and i come across a beauty blogger which i subscribe on for quite a long while ago and she said this one is her HG. thats more than enough to convince me to buy the sample size of this.
the sample size is veryyy tiny with two little dots, so i couldn't use the lid yo swirl my Sigma tapered face on it to get the product, im using the lid from bread instead. tap on my Tzone...and i reall2 suprise when im at work and go back at all wihout feeling cakey or heavy on my face. this one absorb my natural oil and set my bb cream really really well!!!

i would suggest this to normal-oily skin type. nif you are to the oily-ver oily zone of sin type, i suggest to use silica powder from coastal scents or MUFE, they're doing the best during the heat of my vacation whereas my face matte and photo friendlyyyyy yaay~

as for the price of full size i would say its reasonable cuz this product will last you for a while. the trial size alone is enough for 1 month +1-2weeks.
yeah, you just need so little of this product i believe.

will defenitely repurchase this if im run out, wbut im keeping my option open for better loose finishing powder eventho i think it wont cbe for quite a while :)))))))))

I bought this on a whim, I was looking for the Makeup Forever Setting Powder but Ulta doesn't carry Makeup Forever, so I decided to give this one a try. Realllllly glad I did!

I paid about $30 for it, which isn't too bad considering I have read that it will last a long time, and a little does go a long way with this stuff. Its like putting velvet on your face, omg, its so smooth and I really feel its helps blur my pores in a huge way! I did combine it with the Tarte Pore minimizing Primer, so I am sure that helped a little too. But this finishing powder is well worth the money and I am really loving how its making my makeup look. My only real complaint is the packaging, it sucks. The lid get loose really easily and I am so scared it going to open up and make a mess, and well its so finely milled its all over the place on the inside of the package, I sure hope Tarte improves this aspect of the product.

Overall, its a definite must try!!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is a great finishing and pore refining powder. I really liked the Make Up Forever finishing powder but I had to use a lot so the value wasn't very good. This one recquires less and really lasts on the skin. I have oily skin and enlarged pores so this works very well for me.
I apply with a small mineral foundation brush under my eyes and with a large kabuki brush for my whole face and I don't need to reapply or anything, it has a really awesome blurring affecting for any skin imperfections and feels really good on, like a soft veil rather than a heavy powder. I will be repurchasing when I run out, I only have the trial size that came in the Bon Voyage set but at this rate I will not be needing to rebuy for a while!

I really like this powder. It's very finely milled and feels silky on my skin. It doesn't feel or look cakey, just gives a nice matte finish. It does a decent job of controlling shine, so long as I'm using the right moisturizer under my foundation. It also does a nice job of concealing my large pores.

Since I have combination skin, I like to powder my T-zone with a puff, but use a brush to dust it on very lightly on my cheeks. It's for this reason I gave the packaging 1 star--I have to transfer it into another container so I can use the puff effectively.

I have noticed that it does lighten my foundation just a smigde, which works well for me because I can't quite seem to find a perfect match for my bottle-tanned skin in the summer, so using a slightly darker shade and offsetting with this works just fine. I have to wonder, though, if I only dusted with a brush instead of using a puff, would it still lighten the color? I'll have to try that.

I should also mention that I tried using the recommendation to tip it over on its lid and tap it a couple of times. I don't know what the problem was with that particular container, but the top came off so when I opened the container after tapping, I was met with an avalanche of powder. Fortunately, I was able to rescue a good portion of it that was magically balanced in a mountain on the container and transfer it to another container.

In terms of staying power, for me, it all depends on which moisturizer and primer I'm using. I've found lately that using Mac Prep + Prime Moisture Infusion instead of moisturizer and primer is proving to be a good route to go in terms of keeping everything matte throughout the day.