March 2, 2015 | 988 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Silicone Liner Brush

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2015 5:23:00 PM More reviews by csquared14

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I actually really like this eyeliner brush. I think that to make it work, though, you have to think about it for a few minutes before you apply. I've seen a lot of reviews complaining that it does not pick up enough product, it skips, etc., but you sort of have to realize that of course it's not going to pick up a lot of product - it doesn't have individual bristles to store whatever pigment you are using on. One single silicone surface is obviously going to pick up less than many individual hairs bunched together.

What this is meant to do is give you a stiff, thin nib with which to apply liner. Just accept that you are going to have to dip it back in the liner a few times to coat it again (also, most people apply gel liner in small strokes anyway, so this probably isn't too different from your technique). I have found that this is really easy to use with gel liner (I use NYX) - I love that it remains stiff and that there aren't any bristles to spread out and go rogue when you're trying to do a straight line. It creates a clean, straight line on my lid, and is easy to control when filling in a cat eye. Plus, it's super cheap. If you're frustrated with bristled brushes for applying eyeliner, I highly recommend this.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2015 4:39:00 PM More reviews by BeccahH

This brush was a waste of $6, if I would have seen it in person I would not have purchased it. I can't get a decent line out of it, it skips too much.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/22/2015 2:55:00 PM More reviews by BrendaLM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I saw this brush and bought it because it looked unique. I tried is with my MAC fluidline. The best way to get a good clean application is to load up the brush with product and apply, otherwise is not enough product is on the silicone tip it will skip and will have to overlay to get the line clean. I tried various time but this brush seems to require more product that in the end goes to waste because not all product is applied. I will stick with traditional bristle brush to apply gel liner.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2015 3:26:00 PM More reviews by Christina09

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is definitely the best eye liner "brush" that I have used so far but I'm still on the hunt for the perfect brush. I find that it doesn't apply the liner evenly enough. I like that there are no bristles to go out of place and it has worked the best for me so far but still not 100% so the hunt continues.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2014 9:06:00 PM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm calling shenanigans on Real Techniques' claim in the product description: "This brush is the ultimate tool for smooth, precise application of liquid or cream eyeliner."

It does okay with gel liner, but nothing to write home about. On the other hand, it's near useless with liquid liner. I like using an eyeliner sealant mixed with eyeshadow to create liquid liner, and this brush is so difficult to work with. Instead of placing down product and leaving it there, it pushes the product all around my lash line, never really depositing any color except stray marks here and there.

A silicone liner brush seemed really innovative and I had high hopes for it, but unfortunately this was a disappointment.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2014 8:18:00 PM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

To me, this is the ultimate lash manipulator tool. Stiff enough to move and separate eyelashes after mascara application yet not sharp and will not scratch skin or pull lashes. It also cleans very nicely, just wipe it. Great item. Highly recommend! Would buy again! Have used it as an eyeliner "brush" but I prefer it for my lashes.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2014 4:29:00 PM More reviews by 1017

This was such a disappointment. I thought this would be perfect to apply gel liner like a pencil for tight lining...it just doesn't cut it. It doesn't pick up product evenly or deposit it smoothly. The point is too flexible to work like a pencil. If you are just lining your upper lid above the lash line...this is ok, but no better than the SK Bent Liner Brush. It just wasn't ideal for tight lining.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2014 2:06:00 PM More reviews by Aimeerose

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I hated this brush. I realized it was a silicone brush before I purchased it from Ulta and figured I would try it out since I was looking for a thin non-angled eyeliner brush and this was the only available for a reasonable price. I use it with Mac Fluid gel liner and It just didn't glide on my eyelid well. The product would gather on the tip of the "brush" and would not evenly distribute the line across my lid. I had to keep putting the brush back in the pot. Other reviews have mentioned it takes some time to get used to but honestly, I've been using gel liner for years and don't have time or money to waste trying to get used to use a silicone brush. Maybe the silicone just doesn't work well with the fluid line formula I don't know but back to the store it goes.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2014 1:16:00 AM More reviews by TennilleES

This makes applying your eyeliner an easy task

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2014 10:10:00 PM More reviews by DrowningInEyeliner

If I could marry this brush, I would. I originally bought this brush on a whim, having used several other Real Techniques brushes in the past and really enjoyed them. I was in need of a new eyeliner brush, so when I saw this I figured, "Eh, why not?" However, it wasn't until I got home and sat down with my purchases that I actually read the packaging and realized that it was a silicone brush! I had never heard of such a thing, but when I thought about the logic of it, and got a good look at the brush, I thought it sounded like a really amazing product. I was so optimistic about it, in fact, that I almost though it was too good to be true, to avoid disappointment if it wasn't as good as I had hoped. Yet, when I whipped out my gel eyeliner and took it for a test run, I was not disappointed in the least! This brush provides incredible precision and control, plus it's super easy to clean. In my opinion, it's an absolute must-have brush, and I've recommended it to all my friends.