Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Silicone Liner Brush

3.7

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have to agree with the negative reviews on this one. The silicone tip is too hard and pokes at the Geo liner instead of gliding along the top of the product. It picks up the product in clumps and applies it unevenly even with the lightest pressure. You would have to have the steadiness of a surgeon to get an even smooth line with the number of passes across the lid. I'll stick with my face secrets liner/concealer brush from Sally's.

It works really well with Maybelline gel liner. It gives me the precise point and sharp wing. Love it.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I see this has some mixed reviews but I have to say, I really like it. Maybe it depends on the type of cream gel liner you use as to how well this brush grabs and applies liner for you. I bought this out of exasperation because, while I've always loved cream liners themselves for staying power and color saturation, the brushes they usually come with provide fair to middling results. Yesterday I had a major snafu in application with the regular brush I was using and decided enough was enough---there had to be a better way. And with this little gem, I think I've found it! I use the Wet 'n' Wild Fergie cream liner (awesome drugstore find!) and this tool really allows me to get a nice fine/medium line with minimal effort, drag, or inconsistency. Easy to clean off with a makeup wipe and reasonably priced. I highly recommend!

I have to say, I love this brush and would not be without it. I know the reviews are mixed - but I consider this an absolute staple and would encourage everyone that uses gel or liquid liner to have it in their stash. Sometimes a product doesn't have to be "everything" or perfect in every way to be essential. That's what this brush is.

Pros: It's precise. No splayed hairs on your eyeliner brush to give that off edge line. You can get that tip in wherever you want. You can pick up as much or as little of product as you want. I end up using less product with this brush because everything I grab goes on my eyes. There is no brush holding on to excess product here.

Cons/Differences from a brush: Depending on your liner, it can take some practice to get a solid line. Or rather, it can take some repeated lining. Imagine the way that when you press heavy on a ball point pen, it will draw two fine lines with a clear line down the center. That's what this silicone brush can do with your liner. It's going to take practice with amounts and pressures of application. I can get a softer line from a traditional brush.

Cleaning is a breeze, but again, it's going to take a different technique depending on your liner. I keep mine clean with a microfiber and sometimes need to gently use my nails to get residue off. You've got to be careful with the tip, as I have snapped mine off with aggressive cleaning.

Honestly, I wish we could see more alternative applicators for makeup like this one. Especially for eye detailing. Most often - this silicone brush is the only one I use for liner and I wouldn't go back.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

This is not a good brush for gel liners IMO. It doesn't hold much product, it skips and it's damn near impossible to create a thin line if that's your preference. However, if you like the look of a thick cat eye and prefer liquid liner, you can probably work with this brush.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

OMG I can't believe how this amazing brush has such a low score! I have been using liquid eyeliners since I started experimenting with makeup and recently I switched for gel liners because they give more product at a lower price (I am currently loving Rimmel's Scandaleyes gel eye liner). I have been applying gel liners with my classic angled brushes I got from Mac and Coastal Scents which I bought twice because sometimes I get a little lazy and don't wash them as often as needed ( I know it's not the most hygienic thing to do by I get sooo bored from time to time).

I was experiencing all that fuss until I came across this brush which proved to be a time (and life) saver. None of the brushes I used before could draw such a pointy wing and with such precision. The tip is firm but flexible so it's soo easy to handle and make small corrections if needed. PLUS it grabs the amount of product I need to apply each time so it really saves you the amount of product that attaches on bristles and stays there until you are in the mood for washing off all those little clumps that are created by regular use.

Cleaning this silicon brush is the best part and what makes it sooo good and worth buying. I just add a drop of olive oil on a cottom pad, wrap it around the tip end, swirl in once and in less than 30sec the brush is ready to be used again!! I wash it with soap and just like magic it's as good as new!! It's a keeper!! <3333

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I actually really like this eyeliner brush. I think that to make it work, though, you have to think about it for a few minutes before you apply. I've seen a lot of reviews complaining that it does not pick up enough product, it skips, etc., but you sort of have to realize that of course it's not going to pick up a lot of product - it doesn't have individual bristles to store whatever pigment you are using on. One single silicone surface is obviously going to pick up less than many individual hairs bunched together.

What this is meant to do is give you a stiff, thin nib with which to apply liner. Just accept that you are going to have to dip it back in the liner a few times to coat it again (also, most people apply gel liner in small strokes anyway, so this probably isn't too different from your technique). I have found that this is really easy to use with gel liner (I use NYX) - I love that it remains stiff and that there aren't any bristles to spread out and go rogue when you're trying to do a straight line. It creates a clean, straight line on my lid, and is easy to control when filling in a cat eye. Plus, it's super cheap. If you're frustrated with bristled brushes for applying eyeliner, I highly recommend this.

This brush was a waste of $6, if I would have seen it in person I would not have purchased it. I can't get a decent line out of it, it skips too much.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I saw this brush and bought it because it looked unique. I tried is with my MAC fluidline. The best way to get a good clean application is to load up the brush with product and apply, otherwise is not enough product is on the silicone tip it will skip and will have to overlay to get the line clean. I tried various time but this brush seems to require more product that in the end goes to waste because not all product is applied. I will stick with traditional bristle brush to apply gel liner.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is definitely the best eye liner "brush" that I have used so far but I'm still on the hunt for the perfect brush. I find that it doesn't apply the liner evenly enough. I like that there are no bristles to go out of place and it has worked the best for me so far but still not 100% so the hunt continues.

Popular Makeup Brushes