October 22, 2014 | 2139 users online

Styling Products - L'Oreal - Advanced Haircare Volume Filler Densifying Gelee

rated 3 of 5 on 10/22/2014 7:03:00 PM More reviews by rfoss16

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I had high hopes for this product, and it seemed to work great at first. But after a few weeks of use I realized it was causing build-up in my hair, conversely causing my hair to look flat. I was then using a baking soda/apple cider vinegar rinse hoping this would resolve the buildup, but then my hair would get weird and dry and the L'oreal Gelee still didn't work and seemed to heighten the dryness? The smell is overpowering and definitely smells like cologne--would be much better unscented in my opinion. But anyway, I gave this product a shot, and am now actually n the process of switching to only natural haircare brands. I am currently using DermOrganic Volume Foam, and I love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2014 8:32:00 PM More reviews by juliaesands

I just bought this today. I wanted to try Redken Velvet Gelatine, but it was $18 and I was worried. But then I remembered that Redken is owned by L'Oreal and so I looked at the ingredients of both products and they are almost completely identical- everything that comes before the coloring chemicals are the same. I am very excited about trying this out and I will report back- the good reviews are very encouraging!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2014 12:15:00 PM More reviews by violetmist

Screw that crap about MIT scientists developing the miracle molecule for hair care (referring to Living Proof). Where were those geniuses when this product came out?!?! This is an unbelievable dream come true. It WORKS! How often we can we actually say that? And just to make it all the better it is cheap and can be had in a drug store. My hair is fine, wavy and voluminous which can really look good but the soft water in my town takes all its glory away. I see a noticeable difference when I am in a area with harder water and no product ever really attained that same look except for this one. This is a gel and you only need a small amount. Totally UNDETECTABLE in your hair. Do you know how much stuff I can throw out now????!!!! Do you know how freakin' happy I am??!!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2014 12:10:00 AM More reviews by PaulaNC

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got samples of the shampoo, conditioner (which I have yet to use) and the volume filler. I used it for the first time yesterday, instead of my usual Living Proof Perfect Hair Day (PHD) $26. I also use a Paul Mitchell root boost, and Big Sexy Hair mousse, depending on mood. This is better than all 3. My hair is short and bob, fine, slightly curly and normal in amount. The volume and roundness I got from my blow dry was beautiful. Shiny and swingy. The fragrance is rather masculine, but I prefer that to flowery. Best news of all? This morning after brushing, it was still full. I scrunched a 2 peas amount into my hands and voila, done deal! Not flat, limp, but cute, popped the curl out a little, and if I can get that second day out of a short hair-do, I'm a happy girl. For $7 this is an amazing buy!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2014 9:28:00 AM More reviews by glamourgirrrl31

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm using the entire l'oreal volume line and of the 4 products this is my least favorite, which is funny because it's the highest reviewed here. I find the smell of the product to be off putting, it reminds me of a mens cologne, not a bad smell just not one I want on my head. Also the texture of the product seems odd to me, almost silica like. I used it in conjunction with the other products for 3 weeks so I could give my honest opinion of the product and I just don't think it's all that. My hair wasn't as volumized as when I used my normal mousses and was more difficult to blow dry (not something I normally have problems with). Also I couldn't get my normal 2-3 days out of my blow dry, I was having to re wash or re wet and dry daily, not something that works for me. So while I will keep using and buying the other 3 products in the line this one just isn't for me.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2014 11:43:00 PM More reviews by Becky12

This is a nice alternative to mousse. It's not going to give you quite as much volume as a mousse, but it's still a good amount and this stuff will leave your hair nice and soft, never stiff. While I don't think it adds shine, it definitely doesn't matte-ify my hair like mousse usually does. When I first put this thick goo in my hand I was convinced this stuff was going to be sticky- but nope! Not at all. I will warn that it does smell like a cleaning product at first (EWW) but it fades after you blow dry. The BF doesn't think it "makes my hair smell", so I'll continue to use it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2014 10:55:00 AM More reviews by axialmeow

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have fine, thin, straight hair. I am always looking for a new volumizing product. My HG is Sexy Hair Concepts Root Pump Plus. I always have a can of that on hand but I like to try new things from time to time.
I saw this and checked reviews before I bought it. I did not buy the shampoo or conditioner. I am currently using Joico K-Pak and won't buy anything else until that is gone.
I just wasn't all that impressed with this product. It didn't do much, if anything. It smelled really strong too! It had no hold at all. I guess I was expecting some hold because it is a gel.
If I had to compare it to something I would compare it to a silicone face primer. That's what it felt like. I know that is an odd comparison but that's the first thing I thought of.
Maybe used with other volumizing products it would add that little something extra but on it's own it is pretty useless to me.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2014 9:37:00 AM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Nice companion product to the new Volume Filler shampoo line by L'Oreal. I picked this gel up first & got it real cheap (less than 1/2 price) with a coupon I had on my CVS card.

I like that it's not greasy, sticky or otherwise wet-looking when I apply it to (damp) hair - it has a dry, light, weightless finish & seems to just sink right into the hair & disappear. Gives nice volume to my thinning hair (chin-length bob) & leaves my hair soft & touchable whether I use the hairdryer (preferred for volume) or just let it air-dry.

I don't generally like to layer products b/c they weigh my weak hair down, but this weightless product is easily layerable with other things I like to use when I'm trying to enhance a curl - AG Re:Coil paste & some kind of strong-hold sticky gel like Redken Elastic Works (discontinued).

I was skeptical when I tried it but I'm glad it worked out to be a useable product. Would purchase again, even at full price.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2014 7:36:00 PM More reviews by lulu2222

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using three Volume Filler products (shampoo, conditioner, amplifying concentrate) for a few months and I am really happy with the results. I have fine blonde hair that waves in the wrong places even when I use a flat iron and has wispy flyaways. With the VF products my hair stays nice and straight and there are far fewer wisps. I just bought and used the fourth VF product, Densifying Gelee, and am adding that to my routine. When I first felt the gelee texture, I was a bit concerned because it's thick but in the end it does work. I have been using Bed Head TIGI Control Freak Serum for my styling product and it's very good too - kind of a tie between it and the gelee.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2014 8:06:00 AM More reviews by LizWords

This stuff really is amazing, it is the best volumizing "gel" I have ever used. It doesn't weigh hair down at all, it does really thicken it. When you start spreading it through your hair, you feel your hair densifying, it's an odd feeling for sure. The best thing about this is that it adds amazing volume with NO alcohol content. I stopped using a lot of volumizing products many years ago because the high alcohol content leaves my hair dry and more damaged. This product will not do that.

I ended up having to buy a second tube of this for my significant other. He usually slathers on a regular gel each morning, I've been telling him for years that he should stop or switch products because it is damaging his hair. Once he tried this he was hooked. He doesn't blow dry or anything, he just smooths it in to tame his fly aways and it lasts all day and gives him a very nice bounce and shine.

This new L'Oreal line is really great, I was turned off L'Oreal after trying the "ever" line (which is truly awful), but this new line in the black bottles is amazing. I love the volume filler conditioner and the damage erasing balm along with this gelee.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No