October 1, 2014 | 1822 users online

Eye Shadow - Stila - Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eye Shadow with Primer

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2014 7:21:00 PM More reviews by Najita38

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love the way this product looks but for me to apply it and get it to look the way it's supposed to; is to just use my finger and not use the primer. The primer is too messy but the end result is the most intense eye shadow I've ever seen that's not just pure glitter.The price is crazy though...$32 for this is way too much.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2014 6:04:00 PM More reviews by CBNegron

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Since this product's debut, it has received quite the mixed bag of opinions, so here's mine:

The idea: A highly metallic, cream-fusion eyeshadow, that when mixed with a drop of the provided primer, creates a beautiful foiled finish on the eye.

CONS:
-Takes a bit of time to figure out what works best for you. I have been told by various sources to apply with your finger, apply with a brush, use with the primer, use without the primer, etc. I have found that I like this best when I drop a little primer into the eyeshadow itself and then mix it slightly with a flat, synthetic brush and then apply to my eye. Using your finger is less precise, but works well at packing on the color.
-The vile of primer is veryyyy small and will inevitably run out before you run out of the eyeshadow itself. I remedied this by replacing the primer with my MAC's Fix+, and it worked just as well.
-Some shades are definitely chunkier than others, namely the lighter shades. My shade in Metallic Dusty Rose, no matter how beautiful, never quite lays down smoothly. I get that it's supposed to be foiled, but it kind of just looks chunky and gross.
-The price: $32 plus tax for something as small and flawed as this is kind of a blow to your wallet.

PROS:
-When you finally figure out how to use these, they are truly beautiful, and I have nothing else like them in my whole makeup collection. I always get compliments when I wear them, particularly the shade Titanium, and they are a great way to spice up your makeup!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2014 12:33:00 AM More reviews by Shakeitdontbreakit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I waited a while to write this review because I really thought this shadow and I could work things out. We cannot. Actually, if this were presented as just a cream shadow maybe I would feel better about it. But the primer is nonsense and honestly I have no clue what the hell I'm supposed to be doing anymore.
I have no control when it comes to glitter so of course I loved the metallic wet glittery look this promised. Problem is it's hard to work with and doesn't look great. There's no control. I end up looking like a little girl did my make up.
But-here's what sealed the deal (no pun intended) - the primer provided is such a tiny amount you'd think it's liquid gold. Especially irritating because there's a lot of trial and error here. I was scared to "practice" with it lest I use up the half ounce provided. I can't live with that kind of stress. Aaaannnndd.... Because there's a drop of primer in that little dropper bottle it dried out (I haven't used it in a month) and now it's a sticky gel-like consistency. And it's also in the trash. No likey.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2014 7:56:00 AM More reviews by elfelettem

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I love the idea of these, reviews were bad. Found this blog post http://www.brightestbulbinthebox.com/2013/11/review-stila-magnificent-metals-foil.html decided I had to have them.

Bought the merlot colour. Its beautiful. I have blue/green eyes and this is one of the best colours for makign them pop.

However, this shadow is a PITA to work with. I tried the tips in the blog post, didn't work. I tried less primer, more primer, different primer (UDPP), I tried as a liner alone, I tried putting primer on lid and then shadow, mixing it in the pan. Patchy, flaking, glittery mess. However the colour was amazing and I was still wanting to make it work.

So asked the SA where i bought the shadow from what worked on other people, she recommended NARS primer. The shadows area already expensive but having to buy a primer solely for the use of it as well? That's how much I love this colour.

Anyway, it works. I've only tried it as a liner (subtle cateye liner) along the lashes and its amazing. Dark enough to make the lashes appear fuller and give the cat eye effect, but the glimmer from the metallic merlot is beautiful. I might try again as a lid colour for a smokey eye but even if that doesn't work, the fantasticness that is this shadow as a liner is such that I'd willingly buy it, the stupid primer it comes with AND a NARS primer to make it work.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2014 12:48:00 PM More reviews by damnemperess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love these, they are truly unique but they definitely are something you have to play with. I consider myself really well versed in makeup and it took a couple try's to mix and find the right brush for staying power. But their effect when you get right is quite unique, much more shiny then a shimmer like mac star powder, or illamasqua, or tkb planetary, yet not chunky like glitter. Consider this a cream eye shadow rather than a powder and you'll understand why it can be difficult to work with. Although crèmes can have higher intensity they can be hard for long wear and staying in place. Although a little neutral powder always helps.
I sometimes use more extreme things in my makeup like foil, gems, tattoos etc. and I find this product would be on the cusp for most people. Meaning it might be a little too much for people who like subtler looks. Or they need to be careful in their selection of color and application. Its a great New Years product :P
In terms of the product, it comes with a primer...I would first of all call it a mixer not a primer you should mix before you apply. Also try different mixers that you might already have like silicones, I might even try a dab of glitter glue to see how that mixes and helps with staying power if I was doing a really strong look. There are also a video that shows how to apply. You can dab this product with your fingers for a subtler look, but again your problem will be creasing.
I have two colors a gold and a beige, and I'm going to get one more that is like a white with glitter tones. I usually find with products like this, I would rather just use a dark/bright colored eyeshadow like navy, or black and just apply the foil over, rather than buying all the products/colors in their line.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/28/2014 1:01:00 PM More reviews by thecoralfang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was so excited for this new line from Stila and wanted to love it. I bought Comex Copper and Kitten, but when I got home to play with them, I saw that the vials of eye primer that came with it (and are essential in getting the effects it advertises) were dried out and goopy. I took them back to Sephora, where they told me that it was a manufacturing error on Stila's part and that their entire stock was like that, THEN then tried to sell me a separate vial of the primer for $30. I already spent $70 on the two single eye shadows; I shouldn't have to spend another $30 to get them to work properly!

I've tried using them on their own without the primer, and I don't like their textures, although the colors are very lovely an intense. Hopefully it would go on more smoothly with the primer and mix better, but between the hassle of having to play scientist and take the time to mix up the primer with the shadow on the tiny mixing tray provided to get it to work well and their huge packaging flaws, I'm giving this a big thumbs down.

Hopefully other brands will copy the idea and improve upon it, because it seems like it'd be a fantastic product if done correctly!