October 23, 2014 | 913 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Expert Age Defy Light Brown #6

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2014 10:47:00 AM More reviews by Cmbbrg

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Always used semi perm colr so I was a bit nervous to try but love love the results. The color is exactly what the box shows and covered the grays nicely. I will wait to see how long the color hold up but would def use this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2014 9:51:00 PM More reviews by MichelleMcC

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been home coloring my medium/dark brown hair for years. I'm 47 and have maybe 20% gray, so I've used every single brand on the market and found some to be better than others. I purchased this product in "Medium Brown." I'm definitely pleased at the gray coverage and the color. It looks completely natural and was easy to use and smelled pleasant. To me it seems "Darker Medium Brown" -- which is my natural hair color -- than "Medium Brown." So keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that often what you get on the first day isn't what it will look like in a week! Sometimes having it darker for a few days is worth it to avoid the eventual wash out you sometimes get with lighter colors. I'll definitely buy this again!!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/29/2014 10:04:00 AM More reviews by goodie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used medium ash brown. The color is gorgeous. A lighter dark brown. It's blends perfectly with my med brown hair. The problem is the gray coverage. I only kept it on 25 mins as directed. It's been a week since I used it and the grays are still there. I noticed them the minute I washed out the color. I am not fully gray, but still I color every 5-6 weeks at home to cover my roots. I typically use L'oreal excellence cream. I tried this because other reviews were great! If u don't have resistant grays this may be fine. My hair feels great and the product is great, but for me, the grey coverage was not enough and I will not repurchase. It makes me sad because I did love the way it made my hair feel and I can't say enough about the pretty, bright, glossy color!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/13/2014 8:25:00 PM More reviews by kikid70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this in 5 which is a medium brown. I always use a medium brown. For some reason, this color came out much darker than I expected. It was a very dark brown almost black. I was very disappointed. The only good thing that I liked about it was how it made my hair feel when the process was completed.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/3/2014 6:45:00 PM More reviews by j3llybear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this hair dye on sale so I wasn't too bothered by the price. The colour came out fine, just what I had wanted BUT!... Here are a few things that you might wanna know before purchasing this one. 1. There's an extra step before you go forwards in dying your hair - some pre-treatment thing they make you slather on you hair, it just looks like hair gel... Don't know what it's good for, just a nuisance if you ask me. 2. The consistency after you've mixed the colour and activating creme is really watery, it's like your squirting creamy yellow water on your hair - I dyed my hair by myself and it was a total mess! If you have someone else dying your hair for you - that's great but if you're in a situation like me - just get another brand. 3. The smell is especially strong with this one, I had to step out of my washroom for a bit cause the fumes were getting to me and I've tried other hair dyes like feria or nutriesse - it's never happen to me until now. Overall I'm happy with my colour, just wouldn't buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2014 10:08:00 PM More reviews by PISALISA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I bought this haircolor in the medium blonde shade. The kit includes a pre-color treatment gel which really made my hair very soft and tangle-free. Overall, my goal was to lighten my medium brown roots to a light brown/dark blonde shade and to help blend some old highlights with the rest of my hair. I wasn't thrilled with the results. The color was not consistent on my roots. Overall, it lightened most of my roots to the light brown shade I desired, but some spots looked much darker. Also, it did a lousy job at blending my light blonde highlights. Now, I understand that perhaps I picked the wrong shade or maybe I should have left the color on my roots longer than recommended because they were quite dark. Since this haircolor kit did leave my hair looking insanely shiny and smooth I will try it again. I think it will be the perfect kit to go darker with and I can't wait to try out the brown shades.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/12/2014 1:40:00 AM More reviews by JPK1026

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought 5r after reading awesome reviews on this color line. I'm naturally a level 4 and my hair was colored a semi permanent 4r. My grays were peeking through so I decided permanent was the way to go. The last time I colored my hair was 3 months ago. I followed the directions to a t and it came out horrible absolutely horrible. The front part of my hair didn't pick up the color it made it much darker and it was very spotty and uneven. I really really wish I could rewind time and undo this color. I'm besides myself with how bad it looks. The pretreatment was weird it didn't help anything I think it made the color worse. My hair is barely shoulder length and it didnt cover all my hair. I have a dark band then light red to the ends. When I washed it out my hair felt good and my grays are covered but I will NEVER buy this line again. I don't recommend this line what so ever.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2014 10:56:00 PM More reviews by strawberrybonbon

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

LOVE this!! I got shade 6G, light golden brown. I was disappointed that they don't have a dark blonde, but after one washing this one lightens up to that shade.

Pros: price; gorgeous shade; pre-treatment is easy, one step, and effective; conditioner works great; hair smells great and feels soft after coloring.

Cons: messier and drippier than other colors; wish the mixture made a little more. just because I want Age Defy doesn't mean I have thinning hair, and one box doesn't quite make it through my thick hair, even for root touch ups

That said, I will definitely be purchasing again, like every 3 weeks. I like the brunette I am right afterwards, and I like the dark blonde it fades into.

quick not to the reviewer who said the color tube didn't verify what the shade is: it's on the crimp of the tube, just the color and letter (mine is 6G). also, no color should have you finding dye on the towel after rinsing. i think you're not getting it all out in the rinse. double check behind your ears and inside your earlobe, in the folds. that's where it's usually hiding.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2014 3:39:00 PM More reviews by amcmaniac

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have already colored twice with this and im very pleased. I bought 2 boxes and mixed light golden brown with light brown, which is what I do with every brand. I still get 2 applications as I use only 1 applicator and mix the 2nd batch for my next coloring. I find the light brown keeps the red under control while light golden still gives some nice dimension. Anyway, this does not smell at all. There is a serum you apply all over before coloring and while Im not sure it does anything special as far as anti-aging, it sure does make the color super easy to apply. I wondered why nobody thought of that sooner. The color was really beautiful and for me lasted at least 5 weeks which is a treat im not used to. My hair was soft and like the previous reviewer said, it rinses out really easily and completely. Again I think its something with that pretreatment gel. I try every new haircolor that comes out always looking for the newest and best. I impressed with this one, so I'll still try others but I bet this one will be my new regular. Oh, and it does mix up very light, mine looked like a pineapple smoothie in the bottle but the color was just as I expected it to be.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2014 11:07:00 AM More reviews by countrybearjamboree

Again, at the drugstore looking for something new in the boxed hair color world. I wasn't too pleased with what I had in my hair already which was Garnier Ultra Color in Red Brown. It faded so fast, like in one week to a very brassy barf brown. So, I waited a month to redye it a new color. I spotted this new hair color from Clairol called Age Defy. Not too many colors to chose from this line. Mostly your typical black, brown and red shades. With any dye, my hair tends to pull dark so I wanted something that was going to turn out close to my natural color which is medium brown. In order to do that, I have to pick up a shade that is called light brown to give me a medium brown. Medium browns just dye my hair black.

Process: 1. I hate that the color tubes in the box don't list what shade you bought! When I mixed the color, it was the shade of yellow mustard. I thought they packaged the color wrong in the box. Worst case scenario, if I turned out to look like mustard, I was going to shave my head. Thankfully, the color turned dark over the coloring process. 2. The product was very drippy and thin. Be sure to have an old towel to cover the floor and have pre-moistened paper towels to wipe out the drips. 3. This hair color comes with a pre-color step. It is a serum that is suppose to be an anti-aging product to help hair to look smooth and healthy. It basically just felt like any silicone based hair serum. I didn't find any incredible benefit from using this step before I dyed my hair. 4. I did enjoy the rinsing process. The color rinsed out very easily and I didn't get as much breakage like I do with other boxed dyes. I also found that my hair felt soft and managable after I washed and conditioned it. Also, no hair dye came out on the towel while drying my hair.

Results: Not that impressed. The end result was a dark brown with a red tint to it. Nothing like what I imagined this color to turn out like. Roots were lighter than the ends. I did like that it did tone down the brassy barf brown I previously had.