April 17, 2014 | 1892 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Almay - Smart Shade CC Luminous Primer

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2014 1:34:00 AM More reviews by Lovepink7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a review coming from someone who isn't fair, so this is for y'all tan people. This looks bright and light-pink the bottle. The packaging is good and hygenic, since it comes with a pump. I think it works best for more oily/sensitive skin people. It gives a nice glow without being too sparkly, is really easy to apply, and helps with dull areas or highlighting. This makes your foundation stay a lot better. I just noticed this is my first Almay product too, so I'm not biased about this in any way, heh. If you have darker skin like me, be careful to not go overboard or you will have this odd pink-ish cast on you and it looks weird. Recommend!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 6:48:00 PM More reviews by savyy

I was not expecting to like this as I never cared for Almay. I was so surprised by how great this is. I wear this in the eye area, mixed in my tinted moisturizer/foundation or as a highlighter above my cheeks. I love the finish - it is not sparkly or glittery at all but just gives the perfect natural, dewy glow. I've tried so many high-end primers and nothing compares to this...plus it's cheap!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2014 12:55:00 PM More reviews by fancyfrancie

This is a unique and excellent product for fair, oily/acne-prone skin. It evens out the complexion without the grey/Pepto Bismol look of many primers (as long as you apply the right amount--- too much and yes, it will look a little odd and dull. But the right amount is beautiful). It provides nice, non-chemical SPF, has a soft matte finish and is easy to apply, even over disagreeable winter skin.

Perfect for a dreamy, no-makeup, just-awoke-from-a-blissful-night's-sleep look. ALSO I think this is a great way for fair-skinned girls to customize their foundation shades (will there ever be a foundation pale enough?!?!?!). I mix this with the Paula's Choice Best Face Forward SPF 15 foundation to create an exact match for my skin tone. I like that I can do this without jeopardizing the foundation's sunscreen, since this also contains sunscreen. On it's own, it gives a nice brightening boost to the under eye area and smooths ruddy spots. I love this product and hope it sticks around.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2014 9:50:00 PM More reviews by stream27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really, really love this primer and have already repurchased twice.

Silicone primers of any kind, whether they were higher-end like Smashbox or Benefit, or low end like Hard Candy, never worked for me. After a couple hours, I would always start to see my makeup sliding around my face and it would get patchy.

This primer applies like a lotion, soaks in quickly, and dries down, unlike silicone primers which still feel quite slick after they've set. Though it doesn't claim to provide coverage, I do find it helps to balance my skintone, smoothing over slight redness and making my skin look more uniform in texture. One other thing that is fantastic is that, though it's a luminizing product, there is NO glitter or shimmer or frostiness. It literally just looks like healthy, glowing skin.

In addition to putting it under my foundation, I also like to mix a little with my foundation on the back of my hand before applying with my Beauty Blender. The finish it gives me is amazing and it lasts forever. So far, the longest I've tested as been 16 hours and, other than the side of my nose where I'd been rubbing all day (blowing my nose thanks to a cold), the rest of my makeup looked freshly applied.

The packaging is a pump, which is the most hygienic. However, due to the thicker texture, you often end up with a ton of product stuck inside the bottle, even after the pump stops dispensing it. If you unscrew the lid, you can use your finger or a brush to get the extra that sticks to the "straw" of the pump. The bottle I'm currently working on stopped pumping over a month ago, but I've been using what comes out on the pump since then, and I'm still not going to run out any time soon.

I will say that my skin tone is extremely fair, so I'm not sure how it would go on over very dark skin tones, as it is a super light pink creamy colour. I can't tell if any colour disappears when blended because my skin is so light, so if you have dark skin, I would definitely suggest testing a little on the back of your hand if you can in the store just to make sure it's not going to give a grey/ghost cast to your skin.

I absolutely love this primer and will never use anything else as long as it's available to buy. I even keep a backup bottle so I'm never without it.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2014 12:33:00 AM More reviews by Teressad

I just recently purchased this product and already LOVE it. Although I don't have much experience with primer (I've only used one kind, Physician Formula) I just knew this was the primer for me the minute I put it on my face. The primer glides on very smoothly and stays on. It made my face glow. I have large pores and scars due to acne a couple of years ago and this primer really does a great job in hiding that. I can also notice a different smoothness in my skin ever since I've started using it. If you have acne prone skin, I would still recommend this product for you. It is so light and does not clog up your pores. I can now wear my make up for more than 12 hours and not have to worry about break outs. YAY! Overall, amazing product for an amazing price.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2014 4:00:00 PM More reviews by bujiyama

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Excellent primer for my combination sensitive skin. The brightener works in a natural, subtle way. As I've aged I've noticed the usual fine lines, darker spots due to sun damage, duller skin tone and occasional blotchy patches from hormones, hot flashes, etc. No fun. This primer is a fantastic fix for a more even, airbrushed and radiant skin tone. It does lessen the appearance of finer lines and large pores.

Primers have made me break out in the past, so I was skeptical about using one. This does not make me break out or irritate my skin. Yay! I use it sparingly after cleansing and moisturizing in the morning. I notice that if I let the moisturizer be absorbed first and apply the primer to a clean & fresh but dry face, this works better and primer goes on silky smooth.

Nothing is a miracle cure (still have to use my concealer and under eye highlighter for special areas) but this primer gives more oomph to my foundation and the rest of my makeup. My husband says it makes me look at least 10 years younger, so I'm sticking with this one!

I also love that this is oil free and has SPF, so much in one little bottle. Bravo!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2014 9:13:00 AM More reviews by Lisr

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

LOVE THIS STUFF! I'm pretty oily at times and have tried the "oil control" primers. They never really seemed to do all that much as far as oiliness and never really did anything for the look of my skin/makeup. This adds a nice glow to your skin, makes it feel good and seems to keep the oiliness down to a minimum. Have had no problems with breakouts or clogged pores. Makes my foundation last a good 8-10 hours and BONUS!!!!, it has a good sunscreen in it. No more layering on greasy sunscreen. The SPF is not very high, but I figure between this and the SPF in my foundation, I'm covered. Try this, you'll like it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 1:34:00 AM More reviews by vazquez

I bought this initially to use as a highlighter on only certain parts of my face but one day I was in a hurry and put this all over my face before my foundation-Wow! what a lovely mistake! This is very lightweight & gives a very subtle healthy glow under foundation (No obvious glitter or sparkles!). This primer also prolongs and keeps foundation fresh all day with no extra oiliness. I wouldn't say it prevents oiliness but it definitely does not add any. It is as I would describe a weightless luminous enhancer/primer, suitable for all skin types (probably) except the very oily. Almay has discontinued many products through the years but I hope this one stays!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 1:00:00 AM More reviews by mielr

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Grey

I've found my HG primer!!! FINALLY, a primer that has everything I'm looking for: a chemical-free spf 15, a silky, easy-to-blend formula, fragrance-free, no-fuss packaging & a great dual foundation/eyeshadow primer.

I was a bit nervous at first about the pale pinkish hue of this primer because my skin has yellow undertones and I generally stay far away from anything that appears pink. However, after applying this primer, there really is no detectable color from it, just a kind of pale glow (no shimmer), which gives a slightly more even appearance to my skin. As far as color correction goes, I didn't see much as this product is very sheer, but that's not really what I purchased it for.

I use this as a primer for my powder foundation (Stila IPF), and I put the primer all over my face, including eyelids. It helps my foundation "grab" onto my skin, and helps eyeshadow apply more evenly and opaquely, even when applying the shadow over my foundation.

I love the pump bottle which gives me just the right amount of product, and the clear glass bottle lets me see how much is left. I previously used Physician's Formula primer in the click-bottle with the brush, and it was always a problem telling how much was left in the container. This product also applies more easily than the Physician's Formula primer; it has more "slip" to it. It is a water-based primer, which allows my foundation to go on without "pilling" (something that Smashbox's primer gave me trouble with), but this primer does contain silicones (they're the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th ingredients) which I assume accounts for the silky feel.

Bottom line, if you're still on the hunt for a great primer, try this one! (and it's cheap!)

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No