Almay Smart Shade CC Luminous Primer

3.7

Titanium Dioxide (4.3%), Zinc Oxide (3.3%). Purpose: Sunscreen. Inactive Ingredients: Aqua ((Water) Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Glycerin, Boron Nitride, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol Crosspolymer, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Alumina, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Methyl Acetylglycyrrhetinoyl Hydroxyprolinate, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Polymnia Sonchifolia Root Juice, Tocopherol, Niacinamide, Methylsilanol Hydroxyproline Aspartate, Lactobacillus, Hydrolyzed Triticum Monococcum Seed Extract, Maltodextrin, Sodium Chloride, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Methicone, Xanthan Gum, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Citrate, Dipropylene Glycol, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77591, 77492, 77499).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I hate this. I regret buying it so much that I had to write a review on it.

I don't normally use primers, but I was having issues keeping a new foundation from giving me flaky face so I just picked up the first thing I saw that had decent reviews and wasn't too expensive. I'm not even sure what this product claims to do, as the bottle doesn't really say much, but whatever it was it probably failed.

After using this a couple times with two different foundations, I concluded that this primer actually makes my makeup look WORSE. It pales my skin so much that when I put my foundation on it looks like I'm wearing something two shades too light (which is crazy because I'm already extremely pale). Gross. I also noticed that my foundation looks better if I put it on right after I exfoliate and moisturize; if I put this primer on, the finish is flakier and drier. GROSS. I didn't notice any changes in the longevity of my makeup with this primer. There also isn't anything "luminous" about this; it just makes you look white as a ghost.

So, yeah, again, I really hate this and wish I had bought it from somewhere I could return it. But I guess this might work for you if your foundation is too dark? Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend.

on 7/16/2015 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This broke me out very bad. I didn't start getting cystic acne until I started using this.

on 6/1/2015 10:09:00 AM

Pros: -allows for a smooth foundation application -reasonable price -no fragrance Cons: -white cast even for me (I'm pale) -makeup longevity minimal -only SPF 15 -broke me out like crazy

on 5/17/2015 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

This is a greasy, silicone-y product that gave me an ugly pinkish red tinge to my skin. Unless you have extremely yellow/green undertones to your skin, this can make you look vaguely sunburnt. I get what they were trying to do, but a lilac/green pigment here would have done the job much better. It's also very oily and caused clogged pores for me. I feel like people with super dry, sallow skin types would love this.

on 5/13/2015 9:34:00 PM

I like it, I didn't think I would because of the pink tint and the shimmer. Actually, had I known about that before hand I wouldn't have bought it but I'm glad that I ended up liking it. It's very moisturizing but I still like to put lotion on my face before I apply. I gave this the ultimate test, I used it with a foundation that makes me look disgustingly greasy after about 2 hours of wear, the foundation actually lasts about 6 hours or more with this primer. I was afraid of looking shiny because I'm natrually very oily but it really did just give me a luminous/dewy look without looking like Edward Cullen sparkling in the sun or a greasy person who never washes their face. I'm happy about that because I'm so tired of having to just use matte products which can make you look too dry and much older.

I was afraid of breaking out from this but I don't have anymore acne than usual.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This has a very pinkish colour in the bottle, but fades out on the face. It makes me look paler, but this is fine as I put foundation on top of it. It definitely neutralises my redness, so the CC part of the product works.

It doesn't make my face look any more luminous, unfortunately. I still have to use a foundation with a dewy finish and a highlighter if I want to have a glowy look.

It has a good texture and smooths out my rough patches. It does take some rubbing to fully absorb into the skin, though. I haven't had any sensitivity issues with it, nor does it make me break out.

Overall, it's decent, and definitely helps with redness, but I think that I will be able to find a product that will do a better job. Once I get through the bottle, which is quite large!

The consistency is creamy and thick, has a pinkish/whiteish tint to it and instead of blended into my skin and absorbing, it basically made my entire face appear as though I just took a white piece of chalk and rubbed it all over my face. It settled into my fine lines and pores and made me look completely washed out, MUCH MUCH OLDER, and made my skin look and feel the same texture as snake skin!! ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!! Aside from the horrid way in which is made my skin look, the actual feel of it on my face was very heavy, tacky, and stiff. I'm assuming because of the high amount of silicone it in, that's what gave it the "stiff" sort of texture on my skin.

The packaging is simple and with the pinkish color of the cream, is overall appealing. I paid $9.99 for it at Walmart for a 1 OUNCE bottle, which is pretty common for face primers. I can get a MUCH BETTER "correct and illuminate" primer at the same store for about $2 less and absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE IT- it's the Maybelline "Master Prime by FaceStudio Blur & Illuminate." It has a slight pinky "glow" to it and it is also a pink colored cream but absorbs and blends into more of a "gel" feel to it so it's light and isn't heavy at all and gives my face the PERFECT "illuminated" look without looking obvious that I've even put anything on.

Overall, I absolutely would NOT RECOMMEND the Almay Smart Shade CC Luminious Primer and I exchanged it the very next day for the Maybelline Master Primer Blur & Illuminate.
Don't waste your money or time!

on 3/24/2015 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I adore this primer. I recently discovered it at my local Target on sale. I was needing a new primer and spend so much money on more premium brands at Sephora that I thought I would give it a try. I tried this product the very next day and loved it. It layers nicely on top of my skincare and also provides a last layer of hydration before applying my makeup. I hope they never discontinue it... and if they do, I'll be running to the store to stock up!

on 3/11/2015 8:36:00 AM

I have used ELF Mineral Primer in the past and it was ok..

Then I tried Benefit POREfessional..and that was just okay too. To me, not worth the money for the tube.

Went on to see if there was another option that wouldn't "break the bank" but still a good product..and saw this and picked it up.

It is quite luminous. But as silly as it sounds, I'm not sure if it's for me. I almost feel like I look more pale. Maybe I'm just not use to it. I honestly am very conflicted about it because it does help my red undertones, which I always have a problem with.. And it's been on for just about an entire day and my face still looks exactly the way it did when I first applied and my skin has not become oily at all.

It works just as well as POREfessional, however my skin doesn't feel as smooth to the touch anymore as it did with Benefit.

Overall, not a bad product though for the price. It obviously is doing it's job..I just need to get use to the "glow"

I'd probably be willing to purchase again..

on 2/12/2015 10:31:00 PM

I don't write that many reviews, but this is something I want to tell you all about. I think that it works best..maybe even made for women with pale complexions and pink/red undertones. The pump is perfect, and it doesn't feel like a liquid that your skin just absorbs. You can feel it drying on your face, and my skin looks more polished after applying. I use L'Oreal mineral foundation, and my makeup lasts all day. Not only that, I had more of an airbrushed finish and I noticed that my makeup did not settle into my smile lines and I haven't had to blot and add a little powder.There is just a hint of a glow, and I don't really need to use a highlighter unless I'm going out. The price and size are great, and I hope Almay doesn't discontinue anytime soon.

Popular Primer/ Correctors