Almay Smart Shade CC Luminous Primer

3.9

Titanium Dioxide (4.3%), Zinc Oxide (3.3%). Purpose: Sunscreen. Inactive Ingredients: Aqua ((Water) Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Glycerin, Boron Nitride, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol Crosspolymer, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Alumina, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Methyl Acetylglycyrrhetinoyl Hydroxyprolinate, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Polymnia Sonchifolia Root Juice, Tocopherol, Niacinamide, Methylsilanol Hydroxyproline Aspartate, Lactobacillus, Hydrolyzed Triticum Monococcum Seed Extract, Maltodextrin, Sodium Chloride, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Methicone, Xanthan Gum, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Citrate, Dipropylene Glycol, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77591, 77492, 77499).

The consistency is creamy and thick, has a pinkish/whiteish tint to it and instead of blended into my skin and absorbing, it basically made my entire face appear as though I just took a white piece of chalk and rubbed it all over my face. It settled into my fine lines and pores and made me look completely washed out, MUCH MUCH OLDER, and made my skin look and feel the same texture as snake skin!! ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!! Aside from the horrid way in which is made my skin look, the actual feel of it on my face was very heavy, tacky, and stiff. I'm assuming because of the high amount of silicone it in, that's what gave it the "stiff" sort of texture on my skin.

The packaging is simple and with the pinkish color of the cream, is overall appealing. I paid $9.99 for it at Walmart for a 1 OUNCE bottle, which is pretty common for face primers. I can get a MUCH BETTER "correct and illuminate" primer at the same store for about $2 less and absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE IT- it's the Maybelline "Master Prime by FaceStudio Blur & Illuminate." It has a slight pinky "glow" to it and it is also a pink colored cream but absorbs and blends into more of a "gel" feel to it so it's light and isn't heavy at all and gives my face the PERFECT "illuminated" look without looking obvious that I've even put anything on.

Overall, I absolutely would NOT RECOMMEND the Almay Smart Shade CC Luminious Primer and I exchanged it the very next day for the Maybelline Master Primer Blur & Illuminate.
Don't waste your money or time!

on 3/24/2015 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I adore this primer. I recently discovered it at my local Target on sale. I was needing a new primer and spend so much money on more premium brands at Sephora that I thought I would give it a try. I tried this product the very next day and loved it. It layers nicely on top of my skincare and also provides a last layer of hydration before applying my makeup. I hope they never discontinue it... and if they do, I'll be running to the store to stock up!

on 3/11/2015 8:36:00 AM

I have used ELF Mineral Primer in the past and it was ok..

Then I tried Benefit POREfessional..and that was just okay too. To me, not worth the money for the tube.

Went on to see if there was another option that wouldn't "break the bank" but still a good product..and saw this and picked it up.

It is quite luminous. But as silly as it sounds, I'm not sure if it's for me. I almost feel like I look more pale. Maybe I'm just not use to it. I honestly am very conflicted about it because it does help my red undertones, which I always have a problem with.. And it's been on for just about an entire day and my face still looks exactly the way it did when I first applied and my skin has not become oily at all.

It works just as well as POREfessional, however my skin doesn't feel as smooth to the touch anymore as it did with Benefit.

Overall, not a bad product though for the price. It obviously is doing it's job..I just need to get use to the "glow"

I'd probably be willing to purchase again..

on 2/12/2015 10:31:00 PM

I don't write that many reviews, but this is something I want to tell you all about. I think that it works best..maybe even made for women with pale complexions and pink/red undertones. The pump is perfect, and it doesn't feel like a liquid that your skin just absorbs. You can feel it drying on your face, and my skin looks more polished after applying. I use L'Oreal mineral foundation, and my makeup lasts all day. Not only that, I had more of an airbrushed finish and I noticed that my makeup did not settle into my smile lines and I haven't had to blot and add a little powder.There is just a hint of a glow, and I don't really need to use a highlighter unless I'm going out. The price and size are great, and I hope Almay doesn't discontinue anytime soon.

on 2/1/2015 8:18:00 AM

I'm not sure which ingredient(s) is the culprit, but I used this once in the AM and by the time I washed my face I had small pimples dotting my face! I am an acne-prone, sensitive skin, Epiduo user in my 50s so YMMV. I often put this benzoyl peroxide/retin A treatment on and still wake to clogged pores, but not zits and not in 12 hours so this product is outstandingly bad for me. As far as it's performance as a primer, I do not usually use one, just use a sunscreen under my foundation. So I would judge it a failure in that category too given I perceived no difference in longevity or tone of the Bareminerals liquid that day.

on 1/25/2015 10:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I bought this for my wedding due to all the hype and great reviews, and I have to say, I was very disappointed. The packaging is great, and the price, but that's about it. There are two main problems that I had: the color and the effectiveness. This primer does have a nice, glowy sheen to it, but it made my pores look way bigger and just sat on top of my skin, making my foundation streaky. Even if I could manage to make my foundation look even when using it, they both still just sat on my face, making the texture of my skin look orange-peely and rough. My foundation is more difficult to apply and looks worse when I apply it over this. I've tried mixing them together, I've tried more and less moisturizer, nothing works.

The other problem is the color. It is not a colorless primer and I found that it was far too pinky-white for my skin (I am a very light olive shade). I am a light-skinned woman, but I have a greenish-Mediterranean (Italian) skin tone and anyone with any yellow in their skin at all will have to deal with the pink tone of this primer. I can't imagine it really working for anyone other than ultra-white people, like redheads or people of Irish extraction. If I can manage to tone down the unnatural pink-white tone with a bronzer and just get the dewy sheen coming through then I feel okay leaving the house, but its tricky because it takes quite a bit of bronzer in just the right shade, and requires more skillful application than I usually have time for. As a result, I almost never use it. I will not repurchase.

on 1/24/2015 5:17:00 PM

This is the BEST! It's light, and goes on very smooth. It also absorbs very fast. I get very dry skin in the winter, but this has solved that! My makeup goes on smooth and even. I don't have to touch up my makeup because it stays in place all day. You only need a little bit, it goes a long way. Another great thing is that it has sunscreen. Usually sunscreen lotions have a funky smell but this primer has a very light, pleasant scent. I will definitely be buying this again! I'm recommending it all my friends!

on 12/29/2014 12:32:00 PM

This is my second primer, the first being Maybelline's Baby Skin, and I really love it. Thr two foundations I'm working through right now are both long wearing, matte foundations designed for oilier skin, so they tend to dull my skimn a bit; I love this primer because it helps my skin keep a healthy appearance all day, and helps with the longetivity of my makeup overall. It feels like a lotion and sinks in quickly, and after five minutes or so, my makeup applies very smoothly and evenly. I've had it for about 6 months or so and I'm about halfway done with it, but when I finish, I'll definitely repurchase.

on 12/22/2014 2:38:00 PM

This is my HG!!! The price is a bit steep for a drug store product BUT if you get it on special I would absolutely suggest that you give it a try. I'm in love! I have nothing bad to say! My makeup doesn't crease when using this. I wear it every single day. I prefer this over L'Oreal Lumi Primer ANY DAY

on 12/22/2014 2:11:00 AM

This is exactly what I've been looking for. It's winter, my skin is dull and has dry patches that I just cannot get rid of. This eliminated all my problems. I put on moisturizer, then put this all over my face, use a little concealer under my eyes then put powder all over. My face looks flawless and brighter, more alive looking. Love this! I'm a little puzzled why some reviewers say it has a strong smell. I don't smell much of anything. I know if makeup that has sunscreen in it gets old it will have a very strong nasty smell. My only wish is that this came in other tints like purple or green or even a candlelight type version. Regardless it's an awesome product.

Popular Primer/ Correctors