July 30, 2014 | 2069 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Red Lizard

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2014 12:47:00 AM More reviews by lisalynx

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have somehow become a red lipstick junkie, and have been on the hunt for a HG red lippie for the past year or so.

Though I haven't yet found the PERFECTred, I find that NARS lipsticks do come close.

RED LIZARD isn't my favourite red lipstick, in fact when I opened the tube I thought it was way too bright and leaning more to the fuschia end of the red spectrum than a true red. However, that said, once I tried it on, I did find myself liking it. Though as expected, it was a tad too bright, but I liked the blue undertones, and it did brighten my face and whiten my teeth, so it's a keeper.

As with all Nars Matte and Semi-Matte lipsticks, I found the staying power of this to be great. Lasted most of the day, through 2 mugs of coffee, toasted breakfast, chicken salad and a couple of cans of soda, so well worth the money.

Just for info, I have NC20 skin, so am quite pale, dark brown hair with a multitude of coloured streaks (dark blue, green, and red to name a few! lol) and dark eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2013 3:35:00 AM More reviews by RedLipsBlackHair

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is one of the best reds out there and the formula is delicious, quite opaque. Though it's not completely matte, which I prefer, I still adore it. Smells good, too. Like Earl Grey tea.
I do wish it came with more product, though. First time I took out a NARS lipstick I though, "That's it?" I just paid $26 and that's all I get?

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2013 5:00:00 PM More reviews by RudeGirl923

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this lipstick. I bought my first Red Lizard several years ago when Sephora opened in the mall I used to work for. Like most red lipstick wearers, I'm constantly on the hunt for the perfect red. I told the sales associate I wanted a matte, deep, true red & this is what he showed me. I loved it instantly. It lasts & lasts, & needs little touch-up. One of my friends wears Ruby Woo & it looks gorgeous on her. But she has a paler complexion to go with her dark hair, & the Ruby Woo POPS beautifully. My complexion is slightly darker & I have black hair. She has told me that Red Lizard is gorgeous on me & I agree, She & I are veteran red lipstick gals. It's a little more than what I'm used to paying, but I use it ALL, seriously. It doesn't go to waste, & I've gotten really good at asking for Sephora gift cards for my birthday/Christmas/Mother's Day. Hahahaha...

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/26/2013 3:32:00 PM More reviews by LeslieLyon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The reason why the middle-of-the-road rating is not due to color (gorgeous red cream with blue undertones), it's due to lack of shelf life. I ended up pitching this lipstick because over the years it became very dry and has a really strange, chemical smell. I was only halfway through the tube when I tossed it out.

It's too bad because I love the color, but I have other semi-high end lipsticks (Chanel, Paula Dorf, MAC) that are the same age and have not dried out or turned all chemical-smelling, which is why I chalk this up to a formula fail. But a color win.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2013 7:22:00 AM More reviews by mics008

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This lipstick got given to me as a gift and I absolutely love it. It is, however, very expensive, hence why I would not repurchase it. It has a blue base which looks amazing, but MAC's ruby woo, russian red, and runaway red all have that apparently. This lipstick is not that long-lasting, but the pigment itself is absolutely phenomenal. Because of the intensity of the colour, it is very difficult to attain precision when applying this lipstick. Applying foundation/concealer first makes it much easier.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/21/2013 11:02:00 PM More reviews by snis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was looking for a true matte red and came upon this after reading some of the reviews online. I have a love hate relationship with Nars. I love their colors but the semi-matte formula is still kind of drying to me. I always have to use a lip balm and you lips need to be perfectly smooth when you wear this. For $26 dollars, the formula should be better IMHO. I am also not a fan of the black rubber tube.

But I have been looking for a true red for some time now and after trying MAC's Ruby Woo ( also a matte that is even drier than Red Lizard), Russian Red, Chili, Lady Danger, Mac Red as well as countless other brands. I just couldn't find another true red that really flattered my NC 43/ Bobbi Brown Golden complexion (Mac does have some great darker burgundies like Diva and Dark Side ).

I am not sure that I would re-buy this,because it takes me so long to use lipsticks up as I have so many. By that time, there may be some other equally good red lipstick out there. We'll see. I am always on a quest for the perfect red lipstick. But this one will work for now.

UPDATE: This didn't turn out to be what I thought it would be.This lipstick is tomato red on me; I usually go for cherry reds. It didn't look tomato like in the store but once home the color was different. Also, they really need to just admit this is matte and not call it semi-matte. It is as dry or drier than Mac's Ruby Woo. When you put it on, it is almost like chalk. I have to have some moisture so I end of using lip balm or lip gloss otherwise it looks somewhat clownish on me. With a little luster it gets a lot better. All though most reds make you stand out, I don't think I can get away with this during the day unless I blot a lot. It's more of an evening look for me. I will use this tube but I will definitely not buy this again. Sometimes I mix it with a deeper red which makes it more wearable for a daytime look. At $26 I can't afford to toss it but it really requires some work to wear, it is definitely not a quick smear on and go type of lipstick for me so I have to be int the mood to deal with it, which takes some of the joy out of wearing lipstick. Still looking for my HG red lipstick.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2013 1:11:00 PM More reviews by klhelder

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The world's most perfect red lipstick! Well...the perfect red has a lot to do with what looks best on your skin and lip color, but this one is pretty universally flattering if you have cool undertones. You can use a lip pencil, but it doesn't bleed, so if you have a steady hand and are used to applying lipstick you don't really need it. The biggest complication is that it smears easily and the color is bold, so be careful! I like to keep a some chapstick on hand as well to keep your lips moisturized enough, as it can be a bit drying.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2012 5:50:00 AM More reviews by knitsnbytes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have this in a palette with Dolce Vita and some glosses. I am surprised I can wear this red--usually blue reds are harsh on me, yet this red, applied with a brush, looks fantastic. It does change when you are outside, going more blue due to sunlight, so you need to make sure your teeth are whitened, as it brings up the yellow due to the blue contrast. However, even though I'm not a "red" girl, I can wear this when applied with a brush. If you get it in the tube, be sure to apply with a brush and use lipliner for neat outlines. A touch of gloss in the center lip helps to soften the matte texture if you don't like matte lips. I think this is one of the most perfect reds that can be worn by nearly anyone. My complexion is medium fair with neutral undertones.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2012 10:04:00 AM More reviews by kittyofwhitby

I bought this product by mistake when I was trying to replace another amazing red Nars lipstick. This is quite a bold lip colour, and works well on my lips which are naturally quite pigmented, and I have very fair skin and dark hair. I recommend using it with the red lizard lip liner or some other red lipliner because although it only bleeds very minimally, a red lipstick is all about precision and a lipliner will achieve that.
Im really happy with this purchase, but my rating isn't 5/5/5 because of the following things:
Like most extremely matte lipsticks this one can be drying, and the maintenance is quite high. It's great for a really bold look for a night out, though. Perhaps not one for the office everyday, unless you are ok going to the bathroom for touch ups a few time. But that's like any bold colour.
NARS products are expensive, but I do think that some of their products, including this one, are really worth the money.
I've given the packaging a 3 because Nars packaging, whilst really stylish and chic when you first get it, gets really grubby very fast. The packaging is made of this silky feeling hard plastic, and it attracts any dust, powder and spills in my makeup bag.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2012 6:41:00 PM More reviews by kellystars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

A true red that doesn't look cheap, or clownish.

Goes on matte. Doesn't bleed. Doesn't bead up or cake.

Really there is nothing to complain of here and a lot to love.

Expensive..ish. But I think it is worth it, for the look, and for the sensuality of the formula.

Edit:

Too matte. I think it is aging and is not for daytime. I have fallen out of love.