Cetaphil Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar

3.9

Active Ingredients: Triclosan Inactive Ingredients: Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Tallowate, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Sodium Cocoate, PEG 20, Sodium Chloride, Masking Fragrance, Sodium Isethionate, Petrolatum, Sodium Isostearoyl Lactylate, Sucrose Laurate, Titanium Dioxide, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, May Contain: Sodium Palm Kernelate

on 1/8/2015 4:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I have a sensitive, dry and acne prone skin. I tried alot of products like physiogel, dove for sensitive skin, pimple soap, dr kaufmann, human nature hydrating cream, safeguard-acne prone but all of those just caused break out. At first I was a bit hesitant to try cetaphil but I took the risk and Im glad I did. Finally! It was a bit pricey but worth it. The next day aftr using it I already noticed that my face is not that red anymore and my pimple bumps got flat and dry :) It didnt also give me break outs and made my pores smaller. Excited for the coming days. Hoping to have a clear skin!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

i have oily dehydrated acne-prone skin. i got this because of the "antibacterial" aspect. maybe for someone with normal non-acne prone skin this would be a good facewash but on me it was bad.....after one week of daily usage I broke out in small-medium size whiteheads ALL over. on top of the whiteheads, I also had major clogs. it was so bad. i finally got it cleared after switching products.

on 1/1/2015 1:58:00 AM

So first let me tell you about my skin because everyone is different. I have normal skin in the summer with the occasional breakout but VERY dry skin in the winter with again the occasional breakout. My skin at times can get very heated and red when especially in the fall and winter when my skin is so dry.

A couple years ago my sister (VERY OILY SKIN) was recommended this cleanser. Naturally i used it and WOW. My skin felt amazing after.

LETS GET DOWN TO IT: I don't like the packaging. I use my hands to wash my face and i don't like having to use a bar instead and the soap in a bottle. Other than that i love this. I use this in the shower every night and if i am feeling a little gross in the morning i will rinse with it. After i use it i apply some cetaphil lotion to my face.

I will continue to buy this because it really is good. I would recommend it to everyone looking for a face wash to treat any skin type.

on 11/11/2014 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Do not buy this if you have cystic acne and combo skin - used this for maybe 2 days and broke out in over 20 + white heads and 3 sore cysts..terrible product. Clogged my pores like crazy!

I am now recovering with Neutrogen Oil-Free Acne Wash (Aloe & Cham.) plus a 10% bp gel

on 10/16/2014 4:34:00 PM

I bought this when I was having a mild rosacea flare up, found by searching for an anti-bacterial cleanser not specific to acne at the chemist. It has completely cleared up the redness and lumpiness, and my face is better than it has looked in years. I was surprised to read that another reviewer tried it for rosacea without success - but when my Rosacea is bad, I have used prescription medications. I hope that I won't need them in the future. My skin is dry-sensitive to combination. Some say it's expensive - and I guess for 'soap' it is. But it is more than comparable price-wise to other inexpensive face cleansers. I have taken to using a Swisse face oil at night wtih this, with no bad effect - I think this product does slightly dry the skin. My skin is also prone to flakiness, and using with face oil at night and Macro Vitamin E cream during the day has been excellent.

on 9/29/2014 6:56:00 AM

I have adult acne and this soap along with benzoyl peroxide at night keeps it under control. I am irritated by most liquid or foaming cleansers so I can only use bar soap. I do feel like this soap looses some of its effectiveness once it shrinks down pretty far. At that point it gets demoted to handsoap and I open a fresh one for my face. I buy this again and again. Its affordable and if you suffer from acne I would strongly recommend giving this a shot.

on 7/28/2014 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've been dealing with acne, rough texture, and overall difficult skin since my freshman year of college. I've tried everything from harsh topicals to leaving my skin alone and nothing has helped until now. I grabbed this soap on a whim when I was getting some moisturizer and I am so happy. My skin has never looked this amazing. It is soft to the touch and the areas where I don't have acne looks clear and smooth. The acne I have is healing and the little bumps around my chin and forehead are practically gone. I highly recommend for people with light skin who struggle with redness, discoloration, dryness, and rough texture. It helps with all of the above.
I am worried about my skin building up a resistance to the product as it is an antibacterial. Hopefully this stuff continues to work. I've only been using it two weeks and the differences is amazing.

on 7/28/2014 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I am in love with this cleanser!!!! I have oily, acne prone skin and it works great for my skin type. I haven't been breaking out as frequently with this cleanser and I'm so happy. It foams up really well and it's super creamy! If you struggle with acne, pick this bad boy up, only $3 at Walmart!

on 6/28/2014 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I have to thank another member on here for recommending this. First off, my skin sucks. No really, I have issues (acne) that nothing worked for, I react to every product,or at the very least, the products weren't enough to fix it. (For example, I liked cetaphil gentle, since I'm sensitive, but it didn't stop or help my issues, other than it didn't dry me out) So I have a dermatologist appointment and already got birth control to start soon as an attempt to make my skin clear.

I still am going to start the birth control because I still clearly have a bad internal problem, but this helped more than I thought it would, so I agree with other reviewers to try this if you have adult acne. It's not a cure by itself for most people but def the best thing I have found. To update: I did go to the dermatologist and she said to absolutely keep using this and start the birth control. I haven't even moisturized much since my skin is always open (no makeup) and I still didn't dry out. This is gentle yet actually somewhat effective, but as the doctor said, the face wash doesn't treat the acne if it's internal anyway so, the main thing is that it's gentle for you.

Update: I have been using this for about two months, and while it's not damaging, drying, or seeming to add to my problems, I just don't find it's enough. Which is really sad because as I mentioned it was recommended by the dermatologist *and* I also started birth control pills, and still I have about the same level of acne and problems which is so disappointing. My husband said it feels like there is a film left on his skin which I don't really feel but something about it doesn't feel "deep" cleaning enough. And as someone who has pretty sensitive skin, I can't generally use deep cleaning or harsher products, but that's the best way I can describe it. What it really means though, is my issue isn't being fixed internally, since the derm said a cleanser won't fix the problem. So I'll have to say I probably won't buy it again but it wasn't a bad product, just not anything great eiter. It's disappointing because I cross my fingers to find something that isn't problematic and then hope it would at least help a little beyond that, and so far I haven't found it. Enzymes have been better but no miracles yet.

on 6/20/2014 1:19:00 PM

Whether its the triclosan or something else in the formula, this is by far the most effective acne fighting product I've used. It has little to no scent and washes away very clean. It's very gentle on my face and there is never any drying or tightness which is good for acne suffers. I had actually given up on it, but just kept using it because I liked the way it washed my face, and then 2.5 months in, my face was suddenly significantly clearer and is staying that way (and I really haven't changed any other part of my skincare routine). Also, I'm allergic to most bar soaps, and have zero issues with this one.

I've read there's some controversial issues with triclosan regarding human health effects and washing it off into our water supply therefore affecting the environment. So far there's nothing concrete/conclusive, but the data is adding up to prove them right, however right now the EPA and FDA has that they have no reason to ban/restrict it or make any serious health claims. Some people are concerned that trioclosan is labeled as a pesticide, well about 99% of cleaning products are registered pesticides, check the labels. This is washed off your face so dermal toxicity is limited, supposedly. But you're still washing it down the sink for the fishes and frogs to deal with.

The thing I AM actually worried about is contributing to the anti-bacterial super bugs. I'll be on the hunt for a non-bacterial formula that might work, but regular Cetaphil never worked for me.

Cost. Its a pretty hard packed bar compared to most moisturizing bar soaps. If you keep this baby out of the shower stream, use it once or twice a day it's going to outlast most bottles of liquid acne face soap (that are typically more expensive) or other body bar soaps. My husband went through at least two bars of Dove since I've started using Cetaphil. I've been using it once a day for 3+ months and I still have a good amount remaining.