October 2, 2014 | 1274 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2014 6:56:00 AM More reviews by reggiemoon

I have adult acne and this soap along with benzoyl peroxide at night keeps it under control. I am irritated by most liquid or foaming cleansers so I can only use bar soap. I do feel like this soap looses some of its effectiveness once it shrinks down pretty far. At that point it gets demoted to handsoap and I open a fresh one for my face. I buy this again and again. Its affordable and if you suffer from acne I would strongly recommend giving this a shot.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2014 10:41:00 PM More reviews by Lakelynn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been dealing with acne, rough texture, and overall difficult skin since my freshman year of college. I've tried everything from harsh topicals to leaving my skin alone and nothing has helped until now. I grabbed this soap on a whim when I was getting some moisturizer and I am so happy. My skin has never looked this amazing. It is soft to the touch and the areas where I don't have acne looks clear and smooth. The acne I have is healing and the little bumps around my chin and forehead are practically gone. I highly recommend for people with light skin who struggle with redness, discoloration, dryness, and rough texture. It helps with all of the above.
I am worried about my skin building up a resistance to the product as it is an antibacterial. Hopefully this stuff continues to work. I've only been using it two weeks and the differences is amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2014 8:08:00 PM More reviews by CountryLovee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am in love with this cleanser!!!! I have oily, acne prone skin and it works great for my skin type. I haven't been breaking out as frequently with this cleanser and I'm so happy. It foams up really well and it's super creamy! If you struggle with acne, pick this bad boy up, only $3 at Walmart!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2014 12:30:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have to thank another member on here for recommending this. First off, my skin sucks. No really, I have issues (acne) that nothing worked for, I react to every product,or at the very least, the products weren't enough to fix it. (For example, I liked cetaphil gentle, since I'm sensitive, but it didn't stop or help my issues, other than it didn't dry me out) So I have a dermatologist appointment and already got birth control to start soon as an attempt to make my skin clear. However, I've been using this for about a week and I have to say, it has helped. I get about one or two pimples a DAY and I do pop them, sometimes too early (and make them worse) But I found if I leave them, they take ages to go away on their own. I still get those pimples everyday, and I still have popped a few, but I notice much clearer overall skin, and the ones I do pop don't always get infected and best of all, I'm not over dried like I am with other products. The harsher products irritate my skin and don't clear me at all, and cause peeling. So far I'm a little tighter but I can actually use moisturizer without being full of open cuts and worrying it will make them clog worse.

I still am going to start the birth control because I still clearly have a bad internal problem, but this helped more than I thought it would, so I agree with other reviewers to try this if you have adult acne. It's not a cure by itself for most people but def the best thing I have found. To update: I did go to the dermatologist and she said to absolutely keep using this and start the birth control. I haven't even moisturized much since my skin is always open and I still didn't dry out. This is gentle yet actually somewhat effective, but as the doctor said, the face wash doesn't treat the acne if it's internal anyway so, the main thing is that it's gentle for you.

Update: I have been using this for about two months, and while it's not damaging, drying, or seeming to add to my problems, I just don't find it's enough. Which is really sad because as I mentioned it was recommended by the dermatologist *and* I also started birth control pills, and still I have about the same level of acne and problems which is so disappointing. My husband said it feels like there is a film left on his skin which I don't really feel but something about it doesn't feel "deep" cleaning enough. And as someone who has pretty sensitive skin, I can't generally use deep cleaning or harsher products, but that's the best way I can describe it. So I'll have to say I probably won't buy it again but it wasn't a bad product, just not anything great eiter. It's disappointing because I cross my fingers to find something that isn't problematic and then hope it would at least help a little beyond that, and so far I haven't found it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2014 1:19:00 PM More reviews by Koolkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Whether its the triclosan or something else in the formula, this is by far the most effective acne fighting product I've used. It has little to no scent and washes away very clean. It's very gentle on my face and there is never any drying or tightness which is good for acne suffers. I had actually given up on it, but just kept using it because I liked the way it washed my face, and then 2.5 months in, my face was suddenly significantly clearer and is staying that way (and I really haven't changed any other part of my skincare routine). Also, I'm allergic to most bar soaps, and have zero issues with this one.

I've read there's some controversial issues with triclosan regarding human health effects and washing it off into our water supply therefore affecting the environment. So far there's nothing concrete/conclusive, but the data is adding up to prove them right, however right now the EPA and FDA has that they have no reason to ban/restrict it or make any serious health claims. Some people are concerned that trioclosan is labeled as a pesticide, well about 99% of cleaning products are registered pesticides, check the labels. This is washed off your face so dermal toxicity is limited, supposedly. But you're still washing it down the sink for the fishes and frogs to deal with.

The thing I AM actually worried about is contributing to the anti-bacterial super bugs. I'll be on the hunt for a non-bacterial formula that might work, but regular Cetaphil never worked for me.

Cost. Its a pretty hard packed bar compared to most moisturizing bar soaps. If you keep this baby out of the shower stream, use it once or twice a day it's going to outlast most bottles of liquid acne face soap (that are typically more expensive) or other body bar soaps. My husband went through at least two bars of Dove since I've started using Cetaphil. I've been using it once a day for 3+ months and I still have a good amount remaining.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/11/2014 2:50:00 PM More reviews by 12601834

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this instead of my Dove Unscented, but at $9 instead of $1.50 for the Dove, I wouldn't buy it again. It left a slightly cleaner feel to my face after rinsing (Dove leaves a tiny bit more residue), but it stung my eyelids, & when I washed my face under the shower water the next morning, my face felt dehydrated, yet had a weird film over it. Dove seems more gentle & has no scent which I love. The Cetaphil scent is not really that bad, but it kind of lingers. Can't comment on its ability to heal acne as I only used it once.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2014 3:47:00 AM More reviews by kivannah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Before using this soap my skin was literally like an oil slick from the time I woke up until I went to bed. I've religiously been using this product since I was first introduced to it a few months ago, its the beeesst thing EVER! My skin is NOWHERE near as oily, I get less break outs, and my scars are fading. Although now thats its winter my skin gets a little dry every now and then (so maybe it wouldn't be ideal for dry skin) but Im fine with that.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2013 12:21:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I was looking for a ds face wash that did not contain acne-causing ingredients after looking up my usual face wash on cosdna and finding all sorts of red flags. Most of the liquid washes contain sodium laurel/th sulfates, which is what makes them foam or lather, but also can trigger breakouts. This bar had great reviews for sensitive, acne-prone skin and only one ingredient that registered a 2 (on a scale to 10) of acne-irritation so I went for it.

It is gentle enough that you can use it over your eyelids without majorly irritating your eyes, even with the anti-bac formula. I wouldn't recommend rubbing it into eyes, obviously, and using an eye makeup remover before or after, but it doesn't sting which is great.

It can be a little bit drying when you first start using it but it could be a lot worse in that respect. I used it for a week with no lotion at all when I was waiting for a new moisturizer to arrive and while my skin did start to feel pretty dry and tight after about five days, the tightness wasn't unbearable and flaking was minimal. I wash my face with it 2-3 times daily regularly and only put on moisturizer once (EltaMD intense moisturizer, if you're looking for a great one for acne-prone skin) and my skin is fine now as far as moisture goes. The antibacterial can make it somewhat drying for hands as well (since you're lathering the bar in your hands each time) and can cause nail polish to chip more quickly, just a heads up.

This has been great for me though as far as improving my skin. I've had no new blemishes since overhauling my skincare products three weeks ago, which is unheard of. My skin feels clean when I use it, my makeup comes off easily, and like I said, it has really improved my breakout situation.

The bar is about $5 or you can get a three-pack for a little less per. It should last you several months, depending on how you store it. My first bar has lasted me four months and is still going. If you leave it in a wet holder, it will melt down a lot more and faster. I keep it on a soap dish that I cover with foil and I change the foil once a week in an effort to avoid contamination.

Overall I definitely recommend this for those looking for a gentle, effective face cleanser for sensitive, acne-prone skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2013 9:41:00 PM More reviews by Brandy26

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

HG soap right here. I use it on my whole body and I've never experienced such an amazing feeling bar soap in my life! I was diagnosed with hidradenitis suppurativa, which if you don't know, is a terribly painful condition where you can develop random abscesses on your body. My problem area was my armpits, of all places. I searched high and low for a remedy and this soap helped me achieve remission. Beyond that, (which is really reason enough, for me) this soap has such a smooth, silky feel. It leaves my skin feeling clean and fresh but not dried or scaly, which is an issue where I live with bar soap because of hard water. This soap is lovely. I even use it to shave, it's that silky!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2013 11:17:00 PM More reviews by KarynR7

I have light acne, moderate when I'm on my period, and this product has done wonders for my skin! I've only been using this for a short time and my face looks clearer and old redmarks are fading! I typically move from product to product but I will rebuy this again. Though I still get acne on my periods, my skin is typically better looking. The bar can be drying but I include jojoba oil in my face routine to moisturize. The bar also melts fairly easily but it is worth dealing with, I just keep mine in a zip lock bag. For someone who's spent a wide range of money on many, many "miracle" products, I recommend this to everyone especially for how cheap it is at walmart. It is definitely worth a shot!
Face routine: Wash with Cetaphil Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar (With washcloth), tone with Dickinsons Witchhazel Toner(on a cotton ball/pad), moisturize with now jojoba oil (At night only).