April 17, 2014 | 1731 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Conair - Double Ceramic Curling Iron

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 2/2/2014 9:39:00 PM More reviews by nani51

This is a review for the Conair Double Ceramic Curling Iron. I have the 1 1/2 inch curler. My hair reaches my lower back. It's medium hair that can get slightly course at times depending on how well I moisturize. It's not super thick but I have a lot of it and it's bulky. It's also Asian hair that is super resistant to curling. I've had a couple of stylists that were in awe of how straight my hair is. Despite this, I love curly hair. I want soft loose romantic curls and decided to buy this iron for cheap on Amazon since I wasn't sure how well my hair will take to large curls. My previous experience with a curling iron is the Hot Tools 1 inch Curling Iron. The gold one. It curls magnificently and still works for me 5 years later. But the curls are too tight for my taste even after loosening up. So this review will compare this iron with my Hot Tools Iron. I know the price is almost a $20-30 difference but it does put into perspective what you will get for the price.

Pros:
-It creates the loose waves I love without falling out immediately. It only last a day but I don't mind. I rarely wear my hair curly, just random occasions.
-It's cheap. I got it for $14 on Amazon.
-It comes with a heat shield. It's a tubular cover for the iron portion that looks to be made of a felt like material. It does work and makes storing after use a breeze.
-There is a hook like tip at the end of the curling iron that you hold onto while you curl. It stays cool and it's very distinctive, so if you're looking for this, even if you don't know the name, the tip kinda is a giveaway.
- Adjustable heat setting from 1-30. Only problem is I'm not sure what the temperature of each setting is. I took a stab in the dark and went with 15 and it seems to work for me. Highest is 375F, lower then the Hot Tools 430F.
-There is a small on/off indicator light.
-The on and off buttons are indented into the handle, this makes it hard to turn it off accidentally while using it.
-Swivel cord.

Cons
- The barrel is really short. A lot of my hair is overlapping itself on the iron and I'm not sure if I get as good of a heat contact because of this.
-My hair gets caught in the clamp. The clamp is metal but the lever part is plastic and the join is not tight enough. My hair slips in when I wind it up. I do the "clamp hair in the middle and wind the ends up and into the iron" method so the top of my hair gets heated up properly and this method makes it really easy for my hair to get caught in the clamp. If I wind it up from the bottom I don't have the problem, but I don't like that method.
- The cord is 5 ft long. I'm just a smidge over 5 ft tall, so if my outlet is close to the ground and I'm standing up this is almost impossible to use. I got spoiled by Hot Tools 8ft cord.
-The metal stand that flips out seems very flimsy. I don't trust it and instead just rest it on a heat protected mat.

In all I think I got spoiled by Hot Tools. I can't vouch for the current quality but the iron I bought 5 years ago is amazing. I bought this to use occasionally. At most I'll curl my hair once every month or two, and for that, this iron is fine. But if I intended to use it much more frequently, I would definitely get a different iron. This iron works, but the cons touch upon a few of the most important features I look for in the iron. Ease of use and hair getting caught and damage. Putting out caught hair does hurt. This iron would be too annoying to deal with if I were to use this everyday. All in all, I'll keep it and use it. It does work. But if it breaks I'll definitely look elsewhere.