April 24, 2014 | 950 users online

Eye Shadow - NARS - Kauai Duo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2014 6:40:00 AM More reviews by vmalenfant

You can almost buy this duo for the gold eyeshadows which is in my book the most interesting gold colour I seen so far for an eyeshadows. It is a pale gold-Pewter duochrome eyeshadow with a lot of shimmer (I wont say glitter). Even if the gold is pale it still have a lot of pigmentation and just goes with everything. The deep purple shade is also really good with less shimmer.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2014 12:38:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

I bought this on a whim, after seeing so many gorgeous swatches online. I've tried NARS duo e/s before and they didn't work out, but I heard they were reformulated so I gave it another go. Wrong decision.

yes, the colors swatch beautifully, but they are so incredibly glittery, you'd have to save this for a special occasion, unless your profession allows glitter-ball eyes on a daily basis. I also wore this for a night out with my normal primer and colored eye bases and it creased after only a couple hours of wear. Not worth the fuss for such an expensive duo. I returned it shortly thereafter.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2014 12:27:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After much hemming and hawing, I finally picked up this duo after swatching it several times at Sephora. First off, the consistency of this eyeshadow is out of this world. It's a powder eyeshadow but it's so unbeliveably buttery it feels like a cream because the pigments are so soft and finely milled. I hesitated to buy this duo because I knew I would get more wear out of the gold lame side and didn't really need any purple shadows because they tend to make the whites of my eyes look yellow (ick) but it turns out I love both shades. They go well together and the purple compliments brown eyes. There's a bit of blue mixed in so it's more versatile. The gold side is incredibly pigmented and shimmery, but not sparkly or glittery. I only need a tiny bit to highlight the inner corners of my eyes, but it could be used as a wash over the entire lid as well. If you layer the gold shade, there are some slight olive tones that come out, but applied sparingly it's a beautiful gold shimmer. This duo won't be a workhorse staple the way my AAE and Bellisima duos are, but it'll come in handy when you want to add some shimmer or color to your eyes. Definitely recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2014 10:34:00 PM More reviews by jordandean

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Just love this duo, I own other duos by nars and the the texture and pigmentation is especially good in this set. The buttery gold side is amazing. It can go one very shimmery for a night look, but it you put it on subtly you can also make a nice work appropriate look from this duo. The purple side is also lovely and again with the gold it can either go on full on evening out or with a light hand be a subtle sophisticated day look. I look forward to using it for both. So glad I got this duo! Was afraid it would be for nights only but it looks more versatile than that, yeah!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2014 3:50:00 PM More reviews by blackberries

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Cannot help but LOVE the colours!! It's a cool gold and soft bright purple duo. I currently own two other Nars eyeshadow duo's (Mandchourie and Eurydice).

Kauai is very... party-like. The gold on my light Asian skin look very, very fancy (a little unfortunate... because I don't do clubbing anymore and I couldn't get it to work for casual/office). But I wore it to a late bar night, and it was gorgeous under the dim lighting. And oh yeah it stayed perfectly after hours.

In my experience, gold and purple eyeshadows (including ones from Lorac, Urban Decay, Lancome) are quite sheer, have lots of fallout (since I'm applying so many layers for the sheer colour to show, fallout happens easily), and very WARM which emphasizes my yellow skin.

Kauai is so different! WOW I've never had such a pigmented gold before. It's also very COOL, like a silvery gold if that makes sense. It's different and, although I won't wear it very often, I love that it's in my collection ;)

I find that Kauai's quality is MUCH, much, much more buttery than the other two duo's I own -which are already very buttery! The gold especially in Kauai is soft, smooth, goes on like butter, and very pigmented. I hate that I am repeating myself in this review (argh I'm using the same adjectives in the same paragraph) but I cannot emphasize enough how smooth Kauai is!!!!

So yeah I am SO keeping this even though they're not colours I use daily! Love love love love!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2014 7:55:00 PM More reviews by Jhe9488

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Couldn't wait to get my hands on this when it came out this spring and it definitely did not disappoint. Both shadows are very soft, blendable and very pigmented--even more so than the other Nars duos that I own.

The left side is a glittery golden color, but with some green undertones to it, which makes it a bit different from a lot of the gold shadows out there. No fallout at all. This does fade a little bit towards the end of the day without primer.

The right side is a shimmery smokey purple color, which has blue undertones in it when you move it around in the light. I think this is the perfect interesting smokey eye that's still wearable and not too out there. It certainly blends like a dream, making it really easy to smoke out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2014 6:02:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Kauai is one of the new duos from Nars's Spring 2014 collection and it is absolutely wonderful. I've only had this for 3 days but already, the excellent quality and the wonderful colour pairing have won my heart.

Nars shadows can be really great or not so great in terms of texture, pigmentation, application, etc. Kauai is in the "great" category on all counts. Both shades are well pigmented and so silky smooth that it's a pleasure to use them because they apply and blend so effortlessly. The colours -a shimmer champagne/golden beige and a clear, bright violet that reminds me of the colour of periwinkles - are so very pretty and feminine without being insipid or bland. And for anyone who has loved Urban Decay Maui Wowie, only to be disappointed by the glitter fallout, the beige side of Kauai is identical to MW but it has no glitter fallout, only gorgeous burnished golden glow. The SA at Sephora hinted that the NARS SA hinted that this duo may be made permanent, which is a very good thing! Definitely a thumbs up on repurchasing!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No