Neutrogena Pore Refining Exfoliating Cleanser

2.9

water, decyl glucoside, cetyl alcohol, glycol distearate, sodium laureth-13 carboxylate, cocamide MEA, disodium lauryl sulfosuccinate, polyethylene, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium methyl cocoyl taurate, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, polyquaternium-11, linoleamidopropyl PG dimonium chloride phosphate, sodium PCA, PEG-150 pentaerythrityl tetrastearate, hydroxypropyl guar, disodium EDTA, BHT, fragrance

on 8/2/2015 10:58:00 PM

Gave me cystic acne. Stay far far away from this. And the smell is horrible.

on 7/20/2015 2:33:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I'm surprised at the low ratings this has on here, especially considering it's listed as a best rated product on Beautypedia. It has a creamy texture as you apply it but it lathers up and has a similar feel to the fresh foaming cleanser in the blue bottle. This is probably more suitable for drier skins though. Although the majority of Alpha & beta hydroxy acids are rinsed away, you definitely get the feeling of a nice deep clean with this which is probably mostly due to the tiny polyethelene pieces it contains. In conclusion I think this is one of the best drugstore cleansers out there given it caters for most skin types AND offers gentle, yet deep clean.

on 4/23/2015 1:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is what caused me to get cystic acne-- and I'm still dealing w acne scars after using this product! Stay away!

on 3/29/2015 9:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I'm honestly surprised that this cleanser got bad reviews. This is the only cleanser that i continuously buy again and again. it makes my face feel soft and i can definitely tell that i am getting a deep clean. Will continue to purchase.

on 3/1/2015 9:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Gave my face a glow and smoother feel. However my pores are still the same. I got compliments on my skin after using it. Made my face look better after a few weeks but not much after that. I will keep using it since it works better than other cleansers.This cleanser works almost the same as olay regenerist cream cleanser

Pros: Almost fragrance free smell
Does not dry out skin
Smooths and brigthens

Cons. No change in pore size

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This product does not refine my pores, there is no difference visibly which I can see even when it's close up on my face. It dries my face out and I feel like it only cleans the surface of my skin. My skin gets irritated by this product, and I have acne prone skin with huge pores. I do not recommend this product. I would say you're better off buying another type of cleanser.

on 12/7/2014 1:42:00 PM

I struggle with acne scarring, sebaceous filaments on my nose, and blackheads around my mouth. I saw this product and figured I'd give it a go. I read that AHA and BHA in cleansers don't work as well as when in a moisturizer, but thought it was a relatively safe way to give the products a go. patch tests were fine, but when I actually incorporated the product into my routine, I had problems. My skin started breaking out, and my face smelled like burning plastic. The beads caused a lot of irritation as well. If you have sensitive skin like me, I'd stay away!

on 11/22/2014 10:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Let's answer the big question first: no, this doesn't shrink the size of your pores, and really, I don't know how much AHA and BHA can do for you if you're washing it off, so the claims of this product are just a gimmick.

The beads of this scrub are big and waxy, so they are pretty gentle on your skin, and I did use this every night. The best thing about it was that didn't break me out. I didn't use it to remove makeup, so I don't know how effective it is in doing that but it does sting your eyes so I recommend using a separate makeup remover.

Although I would repurchase, I don't think this cleanser is anything special.

on 10/26/2014 2:33:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Meh. Exfoliating? I barely noticed. I use many Neutrogena products, but this one is going back to Ulta. Strange consistency - wants to be creamy, but watery sludge comes out first. It has BHT in it - not good! Says it has fragrance - smells chemicalish. Strange fragrance choice. Doesn't leave my skin feeling crisp and clean. Sorry Neutrogena!

on 10/16/2014 7:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Bottom line: don't stray from your favourites or it gets weird.
I was looking for a classier version of my beloved Neut. Grapefruit Scrub. On a long West Coast Navy training, my 20 something roommate used the same cleanser as my late 30 something self, and that made me feel old and silly. I felt the need to up my ante.
Enter Neut. Pore Refining Scrub.
Pros:
It's from Neut. I really trust this company and most of their products do wonders for my skin. They have never destroyed my face, and this didn't either, so they get points for that.
It comes in a really mature, classy looking squeeze tube. Opalescent finish to the tube, sturdy, can be thrown around but still look good and not leak. I no longer felt like a teenager but it met my requirements for hard travel.
The ingredient list includes wonderful things that are great for your skin, and some not so wonderful things that are controversial. Google all that if you are interested; for me it looked like a good mix of what I wanted and what I wasn't too worried about.
And it cleans. I guess. I didn't break out. We're done with the pros.
Cons:
The smell. Like 1980's perm solution. Horrible flashbacks to my spiral perm junior high days.
My eyes. Wow. Pain. Wake you up in the morning pain. Even after it is washed off. Just wow.
The clean. I use this AM only, so no heavy lifting of sunscreen or makeup required. But it still left my skin not feeling quite clean. Not bad, just neutral. I wouldn't trust this at night to remove more. Felt like I needed toner. Stuck with my QH Whipped Cleansing Creme at night, can't beat that stuff!
The beads. Scrubs are really personal, I get that. But this one was REALLY gentle. Almost didn't feel it gentle. Far more gentle that the Grapefruit scrub. And apparently these kind of plastic beads are being found in the millions in the St Lawrence Seaway and killing sea life. I'm in the Navy, don't kill sea life, it pisses me off.
Bottom line: it was gentle, my skin didn't react, but it didn't wow me. I want more of a scrub and a cleaner feeling clean. And the smell/pain/beads thing is enough that I won't repurchase.