December 19, 2014 | 1511 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Pore Refining Exfoliating Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 on 12/7/2014 1:42:00 PM More reviews by fluffik1nz

I struggle with acne scarring, sebaceous filaments on my nose, and blackheads around my mouth. I saw this product and figured I'd give it a go. I read that AHA and BHA in cleansers don't work as well as when in a moisturizer, but thought it was a relatively safe way to give the products a go. patch tests were fine, but when I actually incorporated the product into my routine, I had problems. My skin started breaking out, and my face smelled like burning plastic. The beads caused a lot of irritation as well. If you have sensitive skin like me, I'd stay away!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/22/2014 10:44:00 AM More reviews by apowerfulbeat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Let's answer the big question first: no, this doesn't shrink the size of your pores, and really, I don't know how much AHA and BHA can do for you if you're washing it off, so the claims of this product are just a gimmick.

The beads of this scrub are big and waxy, so they are pretty gentle on your skin, and I did use this every night. The best thing about it was that didn't break me out. I didn't use it to remove makeup, so I don't know how effective it is in doing that but it does sting your eyes so I recommend using a separate makeup remover.

Although I would repurchase, I don't think this cleanser is anything special.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/26/2014 2:33:00 AM More reviews by eve33

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Meh. Exfoliating? I barely noticed. I use many Neutrogena products, but this one is going back to Ulta. Strange consistency - wants to be creamy, but watery sludge comes out first. It has BHT in it - not good! Says it has fragrance - smells chemicalish. Strange fragrance choice. Doesn't leave my skin feeling crisp and clean. Sorry Neutrogena!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2014 7:23:00 AM More reviews by spinnaker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Bottom line: don't stray from your favourites or it gets weird.
I was looking for a classier version of my beloved Neut. Grapefruit Scrub. On a long West Coast Navy training, my 20 something roommate used the same cleanser as my late 30 something self, and that made me feel old and silly. I felt the need to up my ante.
Enter Neut. Pore Refining Scrub.
Pros:
It's from Neut. I really trust this company and most of their products do wonders for my skin. They have never destroyed my face, and this didn't either, so they get points for that.
It comes in a really mature, classy looking squeeze tube. Opalescent finish to the tube, sturdy, can be thrown around but still look good and not leak. I no longer felt like a teenager but it met my requirements for hard travel.
The ingredient list includes wonderful things that are great for your skin, and some not so wonderful things that are controversial. Google all that if you are interested; for me it looked like a good mix of what I wanted and what I wasn't too worried about.
And it cleans. I guess. I didn't break out. We're done with the pros.
Cons:
The smell. Like 1980's perm solution. Horrible flashbacks to my spiral perm junior high days.
My eyes. Wow. Pain. Wake you up in the morning pain. Even after it is washed off. Just wow.
The clean. I use this AM only, so no heavy lifting of sunscreen or makeup required. But it still left my skin not feeling quite clean. Not bad, just neutral. I wouldn't trust this at night to remove more. Felt like I needed toner. Stuck with my QH Whipped Cleansing Creme at night, can't beat that stuff!
The beads. Scrubs are really personal, I get that. But this one was REALLY gentle. Almost didn't feel it gentle. Far more gentle that the Grapefruit scrub. And apparently these kind of plastic beads are being found in the millions in the St Lawrence Seaway and killing sea life. I'm in the Navy, don't kill sea life, it pisses me off.
Bottom line: it was gentle, my skin didn't react, but it didn't wow me. I want more of a scrub and a cleaner feeling clean. And the smell/pain/beads thing is enough that I won't repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2014 4:42:00 PM More reviews by AimeeMarieMUA

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this, along with the toner without researching it at all because a) I was looking for a drugstore product that would help with the pool-sized pores I have around my nose, and b) Target had a deal going at the time where if you bought this and the toner, you cold get Neutrogena makeup wipes free, which I used at the time, so I figured that since it was something I was interested in, I might as well take the extra incentive and buy them both.

I've had both these products for about two months now, and I've used them almost every single day, twice a day, with the exceptions of days where I'm simply too exhausted from school to bother with doing anything more than running a makeup wipe over my face to clean it. And honestly, I've noticed a very small difference in my pores. That being said, I do like that it very gentile exfoliates, and I did feel like it removed any sort of uneven patches I had; and that is also left my skin feeling really clean which is what the packaging said it would do. As of writing this review, I can't say that I'm going to run out and buy this again once I run out; but I will keep it in mind and possibly come back to it if I'm having less success elsewhere.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2014 12:25:00 AM More reviews by rvmc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Finally back on NZ shelves. Overall, a 4/5 for my skin which has to deal with PCOS-induced acne and oiliness that makes it quite scaly. It's gentle enough to use on a daily basis - I use it in tandem with the cleanser - but firm enough that it smooths the skin out and doesn't leave any lumpiness. Washes off easily. The price is reasonable and one does not need to use very much. Lasts a really long time. Packaging easily opened by arthritic fingers in the shower. Does not have a heavy scent. Appears to have visibly reduced my pores. This review written after four months of continuous use.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2014 9:40:00 AM More reviews by Jaliz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have humungous pores on my nose and this is perfect for them. I hardly use it on the rest of my face as it can be a bit sensitive. After using this on my nose it's smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/4/2014 11:39:00 PM More reviews by maymay24

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

With me having oily and acne prone skin, I used this for about a month now and still see now results. I'm very disappointed as my pores still look huge and gross. I don't recommend to anyone.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/1/2014 8:25:00 PM More reviews by Alexpalex

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product didnt work very nice with me.. ; _ ; I dont know if its my combonation skin, but i just found it so over drying! Id use it before bed WITH snail cream (which is the most moisturizing moisturizer I have.) and i woke up the next morning with a super dry face! My pores were bad at the time I used it and i noticed it just made them worse!

Not only that, but every time I rinsed with it I always (ALWAYS) got it in my eyes! It hurt like heck! Over time, I realized that if you have large pores and combo/oily skin, a nice morning routine with a gentle peel and a moisturizer (thats not oily) works nicely at making pores tiny. mine are a lot tininer since Ive just stuck with something thats not so drying on my face. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2014 10:35:00 PM More reviews by SusieQ1973

Despite being unable to use this product in my teens and early 20's, I decided to give it another try now years later..and to my surprise it is wonderful! The glycolic acid was far too harsh for my sensitive acne prone skin 10 or 20 years ago (made my face itch and burn), but now I am in love with this product! Love how my skin feels tighter and pores are noticeably smaller! I am so pleased that I decided to try this product once again!