Paula's Choice RESIST Weekly Retexturizing Foaming Treatment 4% BHA

3.9

Not tested on animals

Water, Butylene Glycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), Dimethyl Isosorbide (solvent), Cocamidopropyl Dimethylamine (antistatic agent), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid exfoliant), Citric Acid (pH adjuster), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Glycyrrhiza Uralensis (Licorice) Root Extract (anti-irritant), Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate (anti-irritant), Adenosine (cell-communicating ingredient), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (antioxidant), Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (anti-irritants), Borage Officinalis (Borage) Extract (antioxidant), Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm) Bark Extract, Lamium Album (White Nettle) Flower Extract, Arctium Major (Burdock) Root Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Boerhavia Diffusa Root Extract (anti-irritants), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil (non-fragrant plant oils/antioxidants), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Propylene Glycol (slip agent), Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives).

THIS PRODUCT STINKS!!! Highly recommended for anyone who wants their face to exude whiffs of spoiled fish. My dogs loved it, though.

Elizabeth, Calgary

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

This is a rough one to review, it works great as a spot treatment for big inflamed zits or cystic acne...but I can't spread it over my entire face like I'd like to. The first time I spread it all over my face it turned red and my eyes were swollen the next morning. Tried it again later, and I think I have a chemical burn on my chin now. The packaging is terrible as well, mine leaks if it gets knocked over.

But like I said, it is fantastic as a spot treatment. This cystic bump would have lasted for at least a week - it is now gone after 2 days and it was a big one. I don't normally have sensitive skin whatsoever, so just beware. I'd still recommend it though because cystic acne sucks more than the burn. I'll just have to learn to be more careful.

this product was whatever. the price is my biggest issue...does not match the value of product. waaaay to expensive and it did not work for me. I am extremely disappointment since most of Paula's Choice products have impressed me.

Anyway, if youre interested in any of Paula's Choice products, use this link and it will get you $10 off your purchase! https://goo.gl/zCyvZm (you can combine discount codes with it as well)

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This product works as promised, but the smell is so awful I will not be reordering unless the product is reformulated. The dead fish smell of this product lingers and is so strong that it makes the foam unusable. I will be returning this product.

I left this same review on the PC site, but they will not post it. I believe it is a fair review warning customers about the smell before they purchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this product along with the daily 2% BHA toner as a package. I have acne prone skin and a hormone problem and even after 10 years of dermatologist appts I still have crappy skin. Oily but with dry areas due to zit products and scabs, but dehydrated and big pores. I was so excited to try this combo. After the first few days I broke out horribly, like, even where I don't usually get zits. My skin however, was not red or irritated and based on reviews this was "purging" so I kept up. After 2 weeks, no improvement with acne but skin is looking more even toned. Paula had mentioned it could take up to a month. After one month, poof! My skin has the odd the zit but I can say it is looking better than ever. I don't know which product does a better job. I can say that this smells horrible while it is drying (the 4% only), like dog poop. But, if you really give it a try for at least a month it might work wonders for you. I lasts a long time too. I've also noticed my melasma has faded with this better than any prescription I have been on. I will keep it up!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is a great product and I never had a bad reaction from it, however I never used it on my face. I used it on my arms to try and get rid of Keratosis Pilaris (KP), but it didn't really do anything for it unfortunately. The product spread easily and do not get sticky. I just wish it would be really less expensive, I find that PC products are getting more and more and more expensive.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I do not trust this product!!! I purchased this once in June 2014 and was using once to twice a week until June 2015 with no problems or skin irritation. Unfortunately something went bad? in the ingredients and I had the most awful skin allergy reaction in my entire life. I applied the product right before bed as usual with no other products and woke up with swollen, itchy, watery eyes and a red rash on the eyelids and under the eyes exactly where I did not place the product. My face was also swollen. At the time I did not even think it was the 4% since I had been using almost a year with no problem. All the symptoms take a week to clear and I use the product again and the second time the reaction was WORSE. I contacted Paula's Choice customer service and they tell me yes there are some people having this reaction and some of these reviews are also posted on their site under the product. Apparently they reformulated after I purchased but I will never use again. I still had a lot of product left and there is no expiration on the package. Paula's Choice tells me there products have a life of one year so just under one year my product went bad? I seriously believe I had a Salicylic Acid overdose. I am posting my review here because they never posted it on Paula's Choice.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This seems to be a fairly unique product because of the higher concentration of BHA and the fact that it's a foam in a pump container instead of a gel or lotion. It's 4% versus the 1% or 2% in her other BHA products. It's meant to be used only once a week for this reason. I found it to be an effective chemical exfoliant. However, it may be irritating to some skin types because of the higher concentration of beta hydroxy acid. In that case I would recommend the 2% gel.

I find the 4% concentration of BHA to be better for me and I appreciate the inclusion of anti-irritants in the formula because I have delicate skin. The instructions are to use it once a week but honestly I use it twice a week. When I'm using one of the Paula's Choice BHA products my skin doesn't get flaky and it also keeps my pores free of blackheads. This foam also calms minor redness for me. Some reviewers complained of a smell but I don't notice any smell from this, certainly nothing strong or unpleasant, and that is the sort of thing I notice. The 2% BHA gel is gentle and truly fragrance free if you are hypersensitive to scents. Keep in mind that Paula's Choice does not add perfume to its skin care products, so anything we smell is naturally there in the blend, and I personally don't want masking fragrance added because it's an irritant.

Another reason I buy from this skin care line is that it's vegan and there's no animal testing. I think $35 is a bit high, but the foam is supposed to be for weekly use, not daily use. It does last a few months if you use as directed. Overall I think it's a wonderful exfoliant. If you're not keen on this one, Resist Daily Pore-Refining Treatment With 2% BHA is a nice liquid that you apply like a toner. I can wear that one under makeup. There is also a serum called BHA 9 that is popular. I am on my second bottle of the 4% BHA foam and plan to buy it again when I run out.

Key Ingredients: safflower seed oil, adenosine, burdock root, slippery elm bark, Salix nigra (willow) bark extract, allantoin, grape seed extract, aloe barbadensis leaf juice extract, borage seed extract, matricaria flower extract, glycerin, Boerhavia diffusa root extract, salicylic acid, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, green tea, willow bark, olive oil/olive fruit oil, licorice extract, white nettle, sodium ascorbyl phosphate

Product Ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Butylene Glycol, Salicylic Acid, Cocamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polysorbate 20, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Adenosine, Allantoin, Glycerin, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Borage Officinalis (Borage) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm) Bark Extract, Lamium Album (White Nettle) Flower Extract, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Boerhavia Diffusa Root Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Polysorbate 80, Disodium EDTA, PEG/PPG-17/6 Copolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Potassium Sorbate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I used this foam when I had bad breakouts - mostly whiteheads ALL over my face due to clogged pores. I think it helped to a certain extent. It's by no means a miracle product. I used this everyday (sometimes 2x in one day) and experienced no side effects - no flakes, no sting or dryness. I eventually stopped using it as I don't think over-exfoliating is a good thing despite no signs of irritation. I don't think my face likes it as the whiteheads problems keeps coming back on all over my face.
I don't exfoliate anymore these days and only got clogged pores on my chin. The rest of my face is even, only occasional pimples related to stress and period. I still got blackheads which I extract using a peel off mask and an extractor tool if necessary. I don't need to wear foundations anymore now and can get away with just a concealer on the acne marks. I don't repurchase it. It's not a HG for me.

UPDATE 29/12/15 I'm a massive breakout with cystic acne all over my face due to OCM. Most of the acne are like blind pimples, which are the worst kind. My face is so bumpy, especially my forehead now and the acne are without heads. I literally have stopped using the OCM but the damage is done. I've tried turmeric mask and tea tree oil and it helped bringing down inflammation but not working so well on this type of pimples. So, I remember I still got this laying around. I use this after I tone my face with apple cider vinegar and use a cotton pad to apply it. The next day, most of the cystic acne came to a head! My cheeks have cleared up tremendously with 4 consecutive uses. I use this morning and night as I'm staying home. My nose peeled a bit and the scars on my cheeks are flaking, so I only apply this on my forehead where the majority of the bumps are and use it a spot treatment.

This product works if you're after strong exfoliation. However, it was harsh on my skin and left me with tight, dried out cheeks and some peeling and redness. I just don't need a product that does that - but if I ever encountered a bad breakout this would be what I'd reach for as it would surely make quick work of it.