MAC Viva Glam Rihanna Lipstick

on 2/6/2015 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I don't know how to feel about this lipstick. Its a frost finish which I don't like and Im not even sure why I bought it. Its a red lipstick that is overpriced for nothing. I love the packaging though. But sadly that's just about it really.

on 1/31/2015 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This product came to me by accident. I meant to buy the other Viva Glam Rihanna shade, but there was a mix-up at the counter and when I got home, this one was in my bag. Considering I had a party to go to that night, I checked some reviews online and figured I would wear it anyway. That was a mistake.

This lipstick is weirdly boring, considering all the things it's trying to accomplish. It smears easily, rubs off like no other MAC lipstick, the glaze makes it look Showgirlsy (not in a hot way), and the colour is unflattering (and I wear other blue-toned reds, like Ruby Woo, often). I feel like I'm eight years old, trying to wear my aunt's sexy frosted lipstick but crashing and burning. The golden hints just don't seem to work with my golden undertones, so I've only been able to wear it when mixed in with darker or more matte products so it won't get everywhere.

I'm disappointed because I normally swear by MAC lipsticks and I wanted to like this one, but all I like is the packaging (which is admittedly nice) and the smooth texture (although, I think that's part of why it bleeds like a slaughterhouse). Even if this colour works for you, be mindful of the formula. It doesn't seem to have great staying power compared to its peers.

on 12/30/2014 10:56:00 PM

This product was a total let down for me. The packaging was great and the price was the same as any other mac lipstick, but the lipstick itself is my least favorite mac product to date. First of all it smears like crazy.. even with a lip liner it's all over my face within an hour. Second of all the gold tinge was horrible on my fair NC15 skin tone. Over all I love that the money goes to aids but the lipstick itself is horrible.

on 12/16/2014 9:12:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I got this in A54 which is a neutral red with a almost golden sparkle undertone. The actually stick looks really sparkly which initially turned me off about it but once trying it on it was so subtle that I could hardly tell. It's kinda creamy, goes on really smooth and wears well thought the day. It doesn't settle into any lines in my lips which is nice too. It applies with a satin finish and the sparkle you do see really just enhances the color. The other thing I would say about this is that it is really only a fall and winter red. This color would not fly in the spring or summer. But at $16 it's really a great buy (especially since most high end lipsticks are much more pricey).

on 11/13/2014 2:05:00 PM

I usually don't go for frost lipstick, but this is such a gorgeous color I had to try it. I've never tried a frost red but I do own several satin and matte reds, and this is the most wearable easy red I own. It's bright and highly pigmented, but the mild frost seems to tone it down so it can be worn with pretty much anything. I own Ruby Woo and Russian Red as well, and this is just so much easier to wear day to day. LOVE this lipstick.

on 11/9/2014 1:18:00 PM

This stuff is amazing. I don't wear a lot of lipstick, but I bought this for my engagement photos, and it is an absolutely gorgeous bright red lipstick. It is my go-to lipstick for a red lip look. It worked really well with my fair skin and blonde hair.

on 9/13/2014 9:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I absolutely do not like the finish on this lipstick. I am more of a matte and satin finish. Considering it was for a good cause abc something different, it was not worth the hype

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I'm reviewing the latest release Viva Glam 2 under Riri. At first I was turned off by the color I saw in the tube online but to confirm a nay or a yay I had to see it in the flesh. I'm a NC45 and on me it appeared like a deep metallic brown. I love playing with different lip liners when it comes to working with unusual colors so I removed the lipstick and used MAC lip liner in current to partially fill in my lips. Then I applied the lipstick. Oh buddy! !! What a difference a liner makes. It really brought out a different dimension to the lip color overall. Then when I added the corresponding lipglass with its purple/pink/blue duo chrome. It changed it into this nice metallic, mauvy lip color with a tinge of brown. Its a really difficult effect to even describe. You just have be willing to try it yourself and tweak it to your liking. I can see this combo playing well with nightmoth liner too. I'm so glad I bought both the lipstick and the gloss. Perfect combo to take me into fall.

on 8/23/2014 2:25:00 PM

Far be it for me to potentially sabotage ratings for this and more to the point, put my fellow makeup lovers off buying a lipstick for a great cause... But battles of conscience aside, I'm afraid this is a disappointment.

I bought it no.1 because I like to 'do my bit' - oh ok ok who am I kidding, I bought it because the packaging is great and the colour is super flattering and gorgeous on, and only then, rather than talk myself out of yet another purchase, I justified it as being part of my 'charity portfolio.'

Being as it is a RED lipstick I hadn't worn it much. Well on a date at Artesian (voted best bar in the world and very sophisticated) I wore this with a sequin skirt, silk ruffled blouse, sparkly bag, heels, you get the idea... And this lipstick let down the whole effect. Yes it looks and feels perfect. But it smears everywhere and never sets. I had made the mistake of adding gloss on top, and although it intensified the beauty of the red, it exacerbated the problem. But even without gloss, it smears. With gloss, disaster.

People have mentioned it's like Port Red. Well I'd loved that and have 4 backups (yes now you see what I mean about my "charity purchase" rationalisation.) Port Red is pretty much identical, but it doesn't smear like this "monster" (Rihanna pun there) Port Red is way better, but if you're just going out dancing then fine. Just don't drink -or heaven forfend- eat in this, unless you keep extremely close tabs on your lipstick. I'm talking, red lipstick teeth levels of doom. Despite my full effort outfit and makeup, I felt like I was wearing some cheapie child brand lipstick, it got on the glass even after I'd diligently blotted on a napkin. Very disappointing. I'll still keep it and wear it when I know I won't be eating or drinking... It is very pretty. Maybe I'm simply forgiving it as it does stand as a desperate measures Port Red dupe for when my 4 run out.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

The prettiest must have red your lips will love.It instantly vitalizes your face and is a unique shade.It leans orange on me so it looks tomato red but I have yellow,orange undertones so thats to be expected.However I still love it & the shimmer is classy.I am usually into pinks & plums but couldn't find a red from Nars my HG that I loved.

Popular Lipsticks