Revlon ColorStay ShadowLinks

1.8

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Revlon ColorStay ShadowLinks are individual eyeshadows that can be linked or interlocked to make your own custom mix & match palette; there is a lot of variety with 30 shades & 4 different finishes Ė satin, pearl, matte, & metallic. I only picked up one ($1.60) since I havenít tried these before & didnít want to build a palette without knowing whether or not Iíd like them. I bought shade Onyx 300, which is black with silver sparkles. It actually reminds me of MAC Pigment in the shade Dark Soul or MAC Eye Shadow in shade Black Tied.

This shadow is powdery (be careful of fallout) & is poorly pigmented. Thereís only color payoff if it is really pack it on. It also isnít true to color; Onyx looks dark gray or gunmetal. When I try to blend it, it disappears & leaves glitter in its place. It isnít long lasting on my oily skin & even priming my eyelids with a Too Faced Shadow Insurance Primer (anti-crease shadow primer) doesnít make a difference. In a couple hours, I looked like I stepped out of a meth lab. Letís just say Iím glad I got one to try out & it only cost $1. Iím simply giving it 3 lipsticks because I decided this can only be used as eyeliner.

on 11/30/2014 8:44:00 PM

I was in a pinch, had to stay overnight in the city due to snowstorm. So I picked up one of these in a khaki green shade at a drugstore. Price was good. The shadow however, was awful. I have never experienced such horrible fall out. But the shadow wouldn't seem to apply well to my eyelids. I had more shadow from fall out on my cheekbones than on my eyelids.I was very disappointed and this will be going in the garbage. I have never had much luck with Revlon shadows and this clinched it. I can get reasonably priced USABLE shadows from NYX.

on 11/18/2014 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Never buy this product!! Ever. I thought this eyeshadow would be perfect for traveling as they come in such small packaging and when i bought it, it was also on sale but its horrible. The shadow would just fall right off of my eye and it did not blend at all.

on 10/31/2014 12:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought these because they were on sale for 1.99$ at my local drugstore.
Ever since I found out mac dovefeather was discontinued, I've been looking for a dupe of my favorite shadow what is not long time gone.
I saw this called purple and plum it says both were matte colors, so I bought them to give it a try. I though the matte purple could replace dovefeather. I was so wrong! The colors does look very nice in the pan, but they are so unpigmented, i think its the worst eye shadow i seen in my entire life!
There is a ridicoulous amount of fall out, you end up with more eye shadow on your face then on your eyes.
I decided to give it a few more tries and I discovered that the ONLY way to apply this eye shadow so it shows on your lids without any fall-outs is with a q-tips. I manages to get a nice look using plum in the crease. But when I looked in the mirror about 2hrs later, i was all gone like I never put any make-up on. Wow... this eyeshadow is really loosing... If I couldn I would give it negative lippies.
And Im actually pissed off I wasted 4$ + tax on these... com'on. These are made to be bought and throw away, there is not one person here that likes them. And if someone gave 5 lippies they were paid by revlon to write a positive comment.

on 10/8/2014 11:15:00 AM

I've always love most of Revlon products but I'm terribly upset with this particular eyeshadow. I was super excited because the colour was pretty nice when I first swatch them on my hand. But then when I tried to use it with my brush, the color doesn't transfer on my eyelid. Bought two of it in the colour Eggplant and Melon.

I love the small packaging. Great for travelling.

But why do you need it for travelling if it fails to do its job.

on 9/12/2014 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Price: I bought 6 of these stupidly, after a 40% discount sale in Singapore which led to me paying SGD4+ instead of SGD6+ per shadow. I bought them thinking OMGAAD SO CHEAP!! -_-
You get what you pay for. But even then, 4 bucks is too much for a shadow that is useless.

Pigmentation: Why do i say useless? Because it simply DOES NOT SHOW UP on your skin. At all. I'm not exaggerating. I write this review after spending nearly an hour trying to work with these shadows in vain. This is what i would do: Pick up a good quality brush, dip it in the shadow to try get some product, see that there is a ton of fallout and powderiness, tap the excess off, and then place it on my lid... see that there is no transfer at all, rub and press the brush into the skin, get a faint transfer, repeat the entire process again several times, and then give up. If i use my finger, i get a better colour payoff, but even then not much. I think this is probably the worst pigmentation ive ever seen in an eyeshadow range. Ever. NYX is better. ELF is better. Almost every other brand is better.

Texture: Crumbly, powdery, chalky, tons of fallout, super messy. I used to think Urban decay was the king of fallout. No. Revlon wants to one-up it.

Packaging: Just about the only good thing, and the part that drove me to spend nearly 30 bucks on this. I hate pre-filled palettes. So when i saw this i went bonkers. *facepalm* What a massive mistake.

Staying power: What power? It doesnt even show up.

Summary: DO NOT BUY. Seriously, don't waste your money like i did.

Skin: Very Oily, Deep Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I bought this in the shade "Java". It looks brown but goes on reddish. This shadow is extremely messy and leaves glitter all over your face. Terrible!

on 6/14/2014 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love the idea of being able to build a custom palette, but to do it through Urban Decay means I'm laying out $120+ for a six-shadow palette. Granted, once I buy the metal case I just have to buy refills...but even then it's $100 to build future six-shade palettes.

Here, we have shadows that are under $3 and link together, so no need for a case. I created a six-shadow palette for under $20 when all was said and done.

The color range is not bad. There's a nice mix of neutrals and brights. The range appears to be pearl/shimmer-heavy, but there's nothing garish.

However, I was surprised by the product itself. The color payout was subpar. Lighter colors needed a LOT of building up; darker shades were better but tended to apply patchily. There was also a bit more fallout than usual for a Revlon shadow. Wear time is good though.

Now, Revlon is one of the better drugstore brands, and if you're a fan of the Colorstay range, you know that they are capable of making silky shadows with excellent color payoff. Their non-Colorstay shadows are also excellent products as well. So why did they cut corners on quality with this one?

Especially given that Shadow Links is a potential cash cow for Revlon: a four-shadow custom palette would cost more than a pre-made four/five shadow palette from Revlon, so they'd make some money. And it's definitely cheaper than making a palette from UD (while UD shadows are nice, they're not THAT phenomenal). But if the Shadow Links aren't as pigmented as the rest of the Revlon line, who is going to bite?

I do hope that they improve the formulation to put them on the same page as the Colorstay range or even their single shadows. They have a money-maker on their hands if they can just get it right.

on 6/6/2014 4:56:00 PM

Didn't care for these. Once again, I have to say my Wet n' Wild is way better than these. The color payoff is too light. I know they are cheap for a Revlon eyeshadow, but if Wet n' Wild can make a good $3 eyeshadow then so can Revlon. I do like the packaging. Seems like Revlon make really good packaging, but sometimes skimp on the actual quality of the product.

Video Reviews & Tutorials