August 2, 2014 | 1011 users online

Eye Shadow - Revlon - ColorStay ShadowLinks

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2014 8:35:00 PM More reviews by thaonlylakergirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Deep Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this in the shade "Java". It looks brown but goes on reddish. This shadow is extremely messy and leaves glitter all over your face. Terrible!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/14/2014 11:00:00 PM More reviews by lextaylor7

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2014 12:38:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love the idea of being able to build a custom palette, but to do it through Urban Decay means I'm laying out $120+ for a six-shadow palette. Granted, once I buy the metal case I just have to buy refills...but even then it's $100 to build future six-shade palettes.

Here, we have shadows that are under $3 and link together, so no need for a case. I created a six-shadow palette for under $20 when all was said and done.

The color range is not bad. There's a nice mix of neutrals and brights. The range appears to be pearl/shimmer-heavy, but there's nothing garish.

However, I was surprised by the product itself. The color payout was subpar. Lighter colors needed a LOT of building up; darker shades were better but tended to apply patchily. There was also a bit more fallout than usual for a Revlon shadow. Wear time is good though.

Now, Revlon is one of the better drugstore brands, and if you're a fan of the Colorstay range, you know that they are capable of making silky shadows with excellent color payoff. Their non-Colorstay shadows are also excellent products as well. So why did they cut corners on quality with this one?

Especially given that Shadow Links is a potential cash cow for Revlon: a four-shadow custom palette would cost more than a pre-made four/five shadow palette from Revlon, so they'd make some money. And it's definitely cheaper than making a palette from UD (while UD shadows are nice, they're not THAT phenomenal). But if the Shadow Links aren't as pigmented as the rest of the Revlon line, who is going to bite?

I do hope that they improve the formulation to put them on the same page as the Colorstay range or even their single shadows. They have a money-maker on their hands if they can just get it right.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/6/2014 4:56:00 PM More reviews by ceah

Didn't care for these. Once again, I have to say my Wet n' Wild is way better than these. The color payoff is too light. I know they are cheap for a Revlon eyeshadow, but if Wet n' Wild can make a good $3 eyeshadow then so can Revlon. I do like the packaging. Seems like Revlon make really good packaging, but sometimes skimp on the actual quality of the product.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/16/2014 10:25:00 PM More reviews by Lily2ff

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

The best thing about these is the cleveer idea of buying them separately to link together to make your own palette.

The eyeshadow itself is awful. The colors are mainstream. The texture is rough and the pigmentation is very poor. ( I only tested matte shades.)

For that reason, this is a poor value, and gets only 1 lippie from me. I tossed it.

Once again, I'll go back to buying MAC.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/12/2014 4:20:00 PM More reviews by racheldee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use Chocolate to fill in my eyebrows. It is matte and lasts, and is somewhat blendable. Would buy again.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2014 12:48:00 PM More reviews by LogicGunn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wish MUA had a zero lippie option.

The concept of this is great-make your own palette out of attachable singles...but the quality is absolutely terrible. The mattes are almost passable (though frankly there are far better ones out there) but the pearl and metal ones are patchy, sheer, messy and unblendable. The different shades barely show up distinctly on your lids, they just become one big messy shimmer fest, like a Zap ice cream.

I should have learned my lesson with the Revlon quad I tried a few years ago but I honestly thought these would be improved.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 7:36:00 PM More reviews by JustKara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I actually use this shadow for filling in my eyebrows. I use it in Cocoa and it lasts me a full day without smudging. It looks more natural then eye brow pencils and matches my eyebrow's colour perfectly. I think these shadows are a great alternative to eyebrow pencils and they are reasonably priced as well. I also love the packaging, linking the colours together to create a little palette was a great idea and it works well. Great product with many options to go with it.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/20/2014 12:37:00 AM More reviews by jayess3

Ladies with light-medium skin: Greige is your new contour shade.
I know these are eyeshadows, and to be honest, they are quite horrible as eyeshadows because of the lack of pigmentation and butteriness. However, as a contour shade, it is perfection because it looks so, so natural.
Greige is a grey + beige shade that is 100% matte with no warm tones whatsoever, making the colour appear as a natural shadow rather than an orange bronzer, which is literally the worst thing you can use to contour. I was previously using NYX Taupe blush as contour after hearing so much hype around it, but because I have very golden/yellow undertones, the NYX Taupe always pulled red tones on my skin.
I actually appreciate the fact that Greige is not heavily pigmented- this makes applying your contour very fail-proof as this allows you to build and blend in the colour easily rather than making it look like you've slapped on two streaks under your cheekbones. It is quite powdery, but I've found that shaking the excess powder back into the put solves this problem. I use a Real Techniques Contour brush and it works wonderfully on my NC 25 skin.
Bad eyeshadow; great contour shade.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/7/2014 5:23:00 PM More reviews by thecarrottop

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

It's not my favorite shadow, but I still like the idea of the ColorStay Links. I bought this in Candy, because I was trying to copy an eye shadow look I saw on YouTube. The color does go on sheer at first, but it is easily buildable and I can get the color to look the way I want it to very quickly.

I agree with other posters that there's quite a bit of glitter fallout onto the under eye area, but it cleans up fairly easily. I generally put this shadow on before I do my foundation, so if there is fallout, I can clean it up with a cotton pad and make up remover. I also make sure that I use a primer on my eyes before applying this, and if I blend it really well, it stays in place throughout the day. And honestly, with most glittery shadows I've purchased (both high and low priced), there is some amount of fallout anyway...it's kind of an occupational hazard with them. I love the way they look, so I don't mind dealing with a small amount of clean up if I can get the eye design that I want.

Perhaps it's not the fanciest shadow out there, but for $2.99, I didn't feel stressed over buying it and would probably buy it again if I was looking for a single shade.