Shea Moisture African Black Soap Bar

4.3

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

My holy grail "calm my skin" soap, tried, tested and true. I use this mainly for my back, to keep it zit free, and it does the job. I also use it whenever my facial skin becomes distressed, like recently when a Sephora MUA applied Tient Idol foundation on me and I broke out in little tiny bumps all over my face. Within two days of cleansing my face with this soap, I was back to my normal smoothness. I also have the body wash in this formulation. For some people I can see it making the skin a little drier than normal, but I always moisturize after cleansing my skin anyway. I absolutely love and highly recommend this!

Really wanted to love this as I'm into the whole vibe of the line. It smells absolutely delicious and it would layer well under lots of my fave summer scents. Unforch it definitely broke me out (face, chest, back - you name it), was hard to handle (the bar is big and SLIPPERY), and stained my entire tub with its slick black sludge.

I do adore many other Shea Moisture products though!

This soap is just okay. My face still broke out while using it and it was pretty drying. Be careful with this soap! IT WILL STAIN EVERYTHING! It will stain your bath/shower and the rag you use to clean with so be sure to store in a special container and use a rag that you do not mind staining. I plan on trying the other face soaps they have (coconut and the raw Shea one).

I have mixed feelings on this soap. On the one hand, it's the only thing I've tried that keeps the breakouts on my mid back at bay. I get pimples and a build up of dry skin where my bra sits and rubs on my back, and this soap (and the body wash) are the only products that gently hep the acne and improve the texture of my skin. For the price, and how easy it is to find it (online and in store) I will keep using it.

On the other hand, I despise the smell of this. It's like a fake vanilla scent. While it doesn't linger after you shower, it is pretty strong when you are using it. I usually hold my breath when I use it, and when I tried to use this on my face, even just the slightest touch of it on my lips was enough to make me spit and sputter. I personally can't use it on my face - it left my already red-stained cheeks even redder and didn't help the acne there. The bar is also pretty messy - my mother crammed it into a smaller soap container for me so I wouldn't keep dropping it and smearing black everywhere. The body wash is less messy though, and works the same for me. So while I hate the smell, the product works amazing, so I'll keep using it, and recommend it to anyone that has body breakouts.

I bought this soap by mistake & I'm so glad I did. First thing I noticed was how awesome this soap smells. I love that it's all organic ingredients. My face was already clearing up from my Paulas Choice products but the acne scars were still there. This soap is clearing up my acne scars, I'm so excited! My face feels so soft and plump, this soap is great! My daughter has been using this for her back acne and she's seeing improvements... win win!

I *might* be jumping the gun on this, as I've only used the soap once, but I had to share the amazing overnight results I've seen! For the past few years I've noticed that I break out in the spring and fall with little whitehead bumps and acne on my jawline, and the acne basically stays there for 3 months. Last night I tried washing my face with this bar of soap instead of my usual Michael Todd cleanser, and had an overall great experience. First off, this bar of soap is pretty giant, so it's a great value. It lathers extremely well, but also has a rich moisturizing coating that must be the shea butter. It rinses clean with water, and does not leave the skin feeling stripped at all. This morning I woke up to find that the acne scars that were still hanging out, dark and flaky, were significantly smoothed, faded and moisturized. The one angry zit that had been causing trouble was also nearly flattened and less angry looking. Amazing!

I really wanted to love this. I love the bubblegum smell and how clean and soft my face is after cleansing. Unfortunately, it's too harsh for my skin. I broke out in a rash after using 3 mornings in a row. I took a break for 2 weeks and tried again. Same thing happened after one use. By the way, this never stained my tub - it rinsed away completely.

I didn't think this would work for me, I have finicky skin that gets irritated easily, and can get too dehydrated or too oily, with the occasional monthly cyst, but I figured for the price, it was worth a try.

Well, I love it. It lasts a very long time too. I have been using it for 3 months, and my skin has really improved, my breakouts are kept to a minimum and heal quickly, face looks smooth and glowy. Every 2-3 days I also use it with my Clinique electric brush, and it cushions the friction pretty well. It doesn't break me out, irritate my skin, make me dry or oily, it's just great and balances my skin.

The only con I can think of is that it's messy, and the bar of soap is a bit difficult to hold and work with, but these drawbacks pale in comparison to how well the product works. I don't rub it on my skin because it has some sharp pieces in it, I just lather it in my hands and then apply.

I do pre cleanse before using this, with an oil cleanser to break up the makeup.

I would surely rebuy.

This stuff is now my HG face wash. I was using another organic brand and thought I'd give this a try because my face still had some itchiness/irritation. I have sensitive/combo/oily skin with hormonal/cystic acne breakouts. After using this wash the FIRST time it seemed to calm my skin. After a few days, it started looking even better. My overall complexion looks healthy and glowing! I'm going back to target the buy the full kit as I want to try the moisturizer. I should also add that I've also been oil pulling with coconut oil each morning, drinking two 8oz glasses of water each day mixed with I tablespoon organic ACV, using a bentonite clay mask 1-2 times a week and ditched foundation and now use garnier bb cream for oily skin. I also made my own moisterizer using jojoba oil, cranberry seed oil and a few essential oils ( only use this at night). My skin has never looked so clear. If you have oily skin/sensitive skin/hormonal acne, give this soap a try or perhaps try some or all of the remedies I've been using. I hope it helps you too!!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

I haven't used this as long as I would have liked to because it started to stain my tub. Smh I will try it with my beauty blender but the previous poster stated.