October 25, 2014 | 1909 users online

Eye Shadow - Coastal Scents - Smokey Palette

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2014 5:00:00 PM More reviews by MollieS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I bought this for about 13 dollars on the website and I am very disappointed. The black is useless and chalky, the bright pink is chalky as heck and even packed over my jumbo pencil in Milk, it lacks vibrancy. The tan sparkly shade was a big disappointment as well. It had almost no color payoff. I would wager half the colors are duds and those are the ones that are beautiful in the pan.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2014 5:23:00 PM More reviews by katautumn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is one of three Coastal Scents palettes that I own, and it is the only one I'm not fond of. When I saw it on the website, I got really excited. The colors are absolutely gorgeous and, when using certain combinations, look like they could create a really unique smokey eye look. My first problem with this palette is the same problem I have with all of their black snap shut cases - they're awkward to open. You have to hold them away from you and open them, otherwise the lid is extremely difficult to snap open.

Unlike my other CS palettes, this one does not really deliver in the finish texture and color payoff departments. Rich pigmentation and soft texture are two things I love about Coastal Scents, but in this palette there are some real misses, both in texture and color payoff.

The palette is divided into six color families, but these colors can be used on their own for single color, used in the same color family for a monochromatic look, or mixed from other sections for a more daring look. It's confusing at first glance to really know how the quadrants are divided. It's every three down and two across, so in clusters of six shades.

One color that disappointed me was the shimmery orange shade, first column, third down. I had hoped this would be an orange that would really pop, because I figured it would be fun for experimental and holiday looks. But this one is woefully lackluster and applies as more of a washed out bronze. The black is virtually useless. For a nice, saturated black I reach for the CS Revealed palette.

It's not all bad, though, and if you can get this on sale, it is worth the price just for the good shades. The shimmery moss green is stunning, as are the pinks and purples. And the base colors aren't bad, so long as you an apply them over some sort of primer and base, as they are a bit on the chalky side. All-in-all, I wouldn't likely purchase this again, but I don't regret purchasing it either.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2014 11:44:00 PM More reviews by mellyru

I got this palette during the 40% off sale for about $12 along with some other cool items. It was my first time ordering from Coastal Scents so I was super excited! Overall, I was super happy with all the items I ordered--- except for the Smokey Palette.

When I got to swatching, I found that all the bright and dark colors were not pigmented at all and mostly chalky. I've seen reviews online of the palette that didn't have this issue, so I'm giving the benefit of the doubt and assuming that I received a dud palette.

The rest of the lighter colors were on point, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a smokey palette if the darker colors don't work, immaright? The packaging is standard per their usual design, slim, simple and sturdy. Would I buy this palette again? Probably not. I would rather buy the 88 since it's a better value for the price, plus I might be a little less likely to get a dud?