April 17, 2014 | 1290 users online

Concealers - Almay - Smart Shade CC Concealer + Brightener

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2014 6:59:00 PM More reviews by Scadoodles

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product sucks. Period. CC cream or not, it's terribly sheer and so so dry, it just drags a gross the skin. It's awful stuff, the coverage is terrible and did nothing to correct dark circles. I tossed it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2014 1:27:00 PM More reviews by songy67

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This CC concealer/ brightener is the perfect thing to use in conjunction with my regular base routine. I paid $7.98 at Walmart for 3.6g. It's a bit of a shame the compact contains so little, but I love the product so much I don't even care. I'm an NC15-20 in MAC and the one I grabbed was the last one available in 100 Light. I glanced at the other shades on the display and they all looked a bit lackluster compared to this one. If you have anywhere from a light to medium skin tone I would suggest getting 100 Light to truly reap the brightening effects this is supposed to impart.

TEXTURE: I was surprised that this has a relatively dry texture. It almost feels like a cream-to-powder product, but on the skin it retains a slightly thick, sillicone feel and blends away to a satin-matte finish. (If you've ever tried Benefit's Dr. Feelgood primer, this product is similar, but has a less powdery finish). The texture is extremely smoothing on the skin. It softens the appearance of fine lines under my eyes and helps my undereye area look bright, smooth, and refined.

SHADE: The left pan has a peachy color that corrects redness around my nose and also the dark blueishness in the inner corners of my eyes. The right pan is a slightly shimmery pale lavender that really and truly brightens my complexion. I am in love! I place a bit in center of my forehead, the outer corners of my eyes, down the center of my nose, nasolabial crease, and cupid's bow then blend it all in with my fingertips. It instantly neutralizes any sallowness and dullness and makes my complexion glow.

PIGMENTATION: Sheer-medium pigmentation at best, but it's perfect given the texture of this product because it blends into the skin seamlessly and looks natural and undetectable, even up close. I don't think this is meant to cover anything. I think it's meant to subtly color-correct.

WEAR: I have oily/ combo skin and this doesn't do anything to control oil, but I've noticed that it doesn't get cakey and obvious as the day goes on, unlike some other products. It looks almost just as fresh 8 hours later as it did when I first applied it. And if any areas start to go a bit patchy all I do is smooth it over with a fingertip and it blends right back in.

IN A NUTSHELL: I'd say this is a targeted, tinted primer/ color corrector you can use either under or over makeup. Frankly, I think it's genius.

This reminds me a little of Benefit's Perk Up Artist palette, which also has shades to conceal, correct, and brighten the complexion. However, that product seems to have a thinner, creamier, more moisturizing consistency. Plus the palette only comes in one shade (suited to most medium skin tones) which looks too dark to be effective for me. Again, the key to brightening is to use a shade that is actually lighter than your skin tone.

Almay, I am very pleasantly surprised! I didn't expect to enjoy this so much but I have utterly fallen in love. This cute little compact now lives in my makeup bag and I would definitely repurchase it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 2:00:00 PM More reviews by Toofacedaddict

I don't know why there are negative reviews on this.. Maybe because they are not realizing it is a "CC Concealer" your not going to get a ton of coverage from it and thats why i like it. it looks natural on the skin leaving your eyes looking brightened just enough. I normally use my mac face and body and apply it on my face, then take the concealer in this duo and apply under my eyes. then to finish off i use the highlight to brighten the area and set with powder. I also love the highlight for highlighting the brow bone. theres no sign of shimmer in the highlight, but it just leaves a nice glowly brightened effect. Love this and will definitely buy it again!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2014 8:41:00 AM More reviews by jkboston10

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had a completely different experience than the other two reviewers. The consistency and texture were perfect for a concealer. The coverage was excellent (at least medium) and allowed for layering. It lasted for hours without creasing, which is very rare for me when it comes to concealers. Also, medium matched my skin tone perfectly. All in all, I found this to be an effective, high-performance concealer. THE CATCH: I don't use this because I've switched to all-natural products, and the list of ingredients in this product is scary at best. Also, when my eyes teared even slightly, this product caused significant burning, discomfort, and irritation! Not a good sign! While Almay claims this will not happen with their products, the ingredient list and my experience tells a different story!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2014 11:05:00 PM More reviews by blog_antagonist

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was really excited to find an affordable and accessible color corrector that I *thought* was going to be similar to Bobby Brown or Eve Pearl. But this was absolutely nothing like those products. It was completely useless. I'll just echo everything the person below me said, as I would have said exactly the same things. And, as a 44 year old woman, I will tell you that this is the last thing you want to be putting under your eyes, or anywhere near them if you have even the finest of fine lines. Horrible product. Absolutely horrible.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2014 7:23:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

I bought the shade #200 Light/Medium. This comes in a round compact with two shades - one is supposed to conceal, while the other is supposed to brighten. Only they do neither. I saw some swatches online - and let me say, when I put this on the back of my hand it looks NOTHING like the swatches. I'm not sure how much I'd have to cake on my hand to get my swatches to look like that, but even two layers didn't cut it. In the swatches online it appears to have about medium coverage and appears somewhat pigmented.

The pigmentation in reality, is actually so poor do not expect this to cover anything, even foundation has more coverage - and in addition, both sides are extremely greasy and waxy. It feels like putting beeswax under your eyes, and when you try to blend it, it just ends up pilling/rolling and smearing off your face. I tried using it with a concealer brush, and not one of my 4 different concealer brushes could even pick up any product. With fingers, the greasiness is terrible. I thought I had mistakenly attempted to apply lip balm under my eyes for a second and had to re-read the label to make sure.

It is also sticky, tacky and because it is so greasy, it NEVER sets. What it does do is pool around wherever you apply it before completely disappearing. If all that wasn't bad enough, it looks patchy as if the pigment was not mixed in properly - and it's not like you can blend it to fix that. It seems to only make any slight imperfection even worse.

Obviously, I don't recommend this. Disappointing. I'd give this a zero if I could.