November 23, 2014 | 1274 users online

Concealers - Almay - Smart Shade CC Concealer + Brightener

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2014 5:45:00 PM More reviews by hayleyelwick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This concealer is a one way ticket to crease city. Let's just stop beating around the bush people.

I don't buy a whole lot of Almay products, but one product that I always have good luck with is their concealers. I have 4 different concealers from the brand and they are all so good! When I saw this in Walgreens, it was on clearance for $4 and I had a $2 off coupon- SCORE! I really need to learn that there is a reason some products are on clearance.

What drew me to this product was the corrective property. The skintone shade is a little salmon-y in tone, and the brightener is a great addition. The product idea is great, but the execution was just sub par.

Let's start off with the skintone shade- the fact that it has a orangy-salmon undertone is really nice, and I appreciate that. However, the pigmentation is really lacking. You need to build this up a lot, and it can start becoming uneven when you build up too much. The consistency is a little firm, it's not that creamy upon initial application, but when it warms up with your finger, it becomes more manageable. This creases like nobody's business, and I'm not usually that prone to undereye creases. This is my least favorite of the two concealers.

Now the brightener shade is a little better. The pigmentation is good with this one, and I don't ever feel the need to build up the product. I usually just place this on the very inner corner, either under or over my other concealer. It works well both ways. This doesn't crease as much, but that's just because you don't have to build up the product and use a lot. Please make sure you set this though! It can and will crease if you give it the opportunity. Just as the other concealer, this consistency is a little firm, so make sure you warm it up before applying.

The packaging is really great, I like that it looks sleek and has some weight to it, and that it doesn't look cheap or flimsy. The design is nice and classic. It can get a little dirty around the edges because the concealer can smudge onto the black packaging. I am a little OCD about this so occasionally I will wipe off the excess with a Q-tip.

I continue to use the brightening side of this, because it works very well. The skintone side has not been touched in a long time, and I will probably never use it again. For $2, it was not that bad, since I really like one half of it. However, the retail is about $8, and I would hate it if I had paid full price. $8 is too much for a concealer that is too hard, lacking pigmentation, and overall subpar. You can get so much better for the money.

This is why I love buying clearance products- you might find hidden gems, or you might just get a learning experience ;)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2014 7:50:00 PM More reviews by Theaflower

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I must say I really liked this combo which I purchased in shade 200! I like the peachy tones the concealer has>warmed it up a bit on the back of my hand and patted it into circles under eyes, darkness next to nose etc. I have an oily skin. I think this would be best suited to those like myself who are combo/oily>Reminded me of a much more $$$$ Laura Mercier product!

Would repurchase and I like that I can keep it in my purse for easy touchups.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/2/2014 6:33:00 PM More reviews by Suzie400

About 10 years ago, Almay stopped making Extra Moisturizing Under Eye Cover Cream. I bought as many as I could to last me because it was the best cover cream I've ever used.

I got hopeful when I saw this new product and bought it. It is dry and barley covers. The circles under my eyes also looked wrinkly and dry after I sealed it with powder.

MAC is much better, but NOTHING compares to the Extra Moisturizing Under Eye Cover Cream Almay once made.

If Almay was smart, they would go back to the original formula. If they did a little advertising, they would make millions. That cover cream was GOLD. I even covered the bruise I had from my karate class, and not one person noticed I had one.

Almay - If I could cover a karate bruise, and make the deep dark circles under my eyes look as though I had none - just think about all the tatoos people would like to cover for those special occasions. Millions of people equals Millions of dollars.

Smart shade - not so smart.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/30/2014 5:06:00 PM More reviews by Xxcassx

I'm not sure how I feel about this product. I'm in light/medium.The texture is nice, I'm used to using liquid concealer so it's a nice change. It's not the best for undereyes. I have quite horrid dark ones so maybe if yours aren't too bad it would work. I found using a different concealer under it then using this one on top it's good for covering any dark parts the other concealer missed. It definitely isn't worth $12 Canadian so I probably wouldn't buy it again unless it was half off or something

rated 1 of 5 on 5/25/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Makaylad48

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Cakey, dry, not blendable or creamy, just thick and nasty

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2014 2:17:00 AM More reviews by flowerpan10

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this in the shade Light/Medium & this is the perfect duo brightener/concealer. The lavender tone makes my under eyes look so bright & awake even though I don't have the worst dark circles. The flesh toned concealer does an amazing full coverage job at concealing my unwanted blemishes. The only downfall, which gets only one lippie off, is the consistency & blendibility. Without a damp sponge & a slightly rough hand there is absolutely no chance of this product leaving the pan...but once it does it's amazing :) Glamoflauge move over! I've found a new favorite!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2014 6:59:00 PM More reviews by Scadoodles

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product sucks. Period. CC cream or not, it's terribly sheer and so so dry, it just drags a gross the skin. It's awful stuff, the coverage is terrible and did nothing to correct dark circles. I tossed it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2014 1:27:00 PM More reviews by songy67

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This CC concealer/ brightener is the perfect thing to use in conjunction with my regular base routine. I paid $7.98 at Walmart for 3.6g. It's a bit of a shame the compact contains so little, but I love the product so much I don't even care. I'm an NC15-20 in MAC and the one I grabbed was the last one available in 100 Light. I glanced at the other shades on the display and they all looked a bit lackluster compared to this one. If you have anywhere from a light to medium skin tone I would suggest getting 100 Light to truly reap the brightening effects this is supposed to impart.

TEXTURE: I was surprised that this has a relatively dry texture. It almost feels like a cream-to-powder product, but on the skin it retains a slightly thick, sillicone feel and blends away to a satin-matte finish. (If you've ever tried Benefit's Dr. Feelgood primer, this product is similar, but has a less powdery finish). The texture is extremely smoothing on the skin. It softens the appearance of fine lines under my eyes and helps my undereye area look bright, smooth, and refined.

SHADE: The left pan has a peachy color that corrects redness around my nose and also the dark blueishness in the inner corners of my eyes. The right pan is a slightly shimmery pale lavender that really and truly brightens my complexion. I am in love! I place a bit in center of my forehead, the outer corners of my eyes, down the center of my nose, nasolabial crease, and cupid's bow then blend it all in with my fingertips. It instantly neutralizes any sallowness and dullness and makes my complexion glow.

PIGMENTATION: Sheer-medium pigmentation at best, but it's perfect given the texture of this product because it blends into the skin seamlessly and looks natural and undetectable, even up close. I don't think this is meant to cover anything. I think it's meant to subtly color-correct.

WEAR: I have oily/ combo skin and this doesn't do anything to control oil, but I've noticed that it doesn't get cakey and obvious as the day goes on, unlike some other products. It looks almost just as fresh 8 hours later as it did when I first applied it. And if any areas start to go a bit patchy all I do is smooth it over with a fingertip and it blends right back in.

IN A NUTSHELL: I'd say this is a targeted, tinted primer/ color corrector you can use either under or over makeup. Frankly, I think it's genius.

This reminds me a little of Benefit's Perk Up Artist palette, which also has shades to conceal, correct, and brighten the complexion. However, that product seems to have a thinner, creamier, more moisturizing consistency. Plus the palette only comes in one shade (suited to most medium skin tones) which looks too dark to be effective for me. Again, the key to brightening is to use a shade that is actually lighter than your skin tone.

Almay, I am very pleasantly surprised! I didn't expect to enjoy this so much but I have utterly fallen in love. This cute little compact now lives in my makeup bag and I would definitely repurchase it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 2:00:00 PM More reviews by Toofacedaddict

I don't know why there are negative reviews on this.. Maybe because they are not realizing it is a "CC Concealer" your not going to get a ton of coverage from it and thats why i like it. it looks natural on the skin leaving your eyes looking brightened just enough. I normally use my mac face and body and apply it on my face, then take the concealer in this duo and apply under my eyes. then to finish off i use the highlight to brighten the area and set with powder. I also love the highlight for highlighting the brow bone. theres no sign of shimmer in the highlight, but it just leaves a nice glowly brightened effect. Love this and will definitely buy it again!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2014 8:41:00 AM More reviews by jkboston10

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had a completely different experience than the other two reviewers. The consistency and texture were perfect for a concealer. The coverage was excellent (at least medium) and allowed for layering. It lasted for hours without creasing, which is very rare for me when it comes to concealers. Also, medium matched my skin tone perfectly. All in all, I found this to be an effective, high-performance concealer. THE CATCH: I don't use this because I've switched to all-natural products, and the list of ingredients in this product is scary at best. Also, when my eyes teared even slightly, this product caused significant burning, discomfort, and irritation! Not a good sign! While Almay claims this will not happen with their products, the ingredient list and my experience tells a different story!