July 29, 2014 | 1887 users online

Crème - Estee Lauder - Aerin Fresh Skin Compact Foundation

rated 2.0(1 review)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2014 1:46:00 PM More reviews by alison_k

I had been dying to try this ever since I saw it advertised a year or so ago. I bought the shade Level 1, which is a perfect match for my NC15 (Revlon Buff/EL DWL Level 1) skin with neutral to warm undertones.

The compact itself is very pretty, square and gold with an embossed linen pattern on it. It comes in a pink suede drawstring pouch, and there is a flat foundation brush included in the box. The brush does not fit in the compact though, which is annoying, so you do have to carry the outer packaging around if you wanted to keep this in your purse for example.

This foundation is a cream foundation, not a cream-to-powder. It feels a little oily though and even though I wear it over sunscreen I find that it applies with a very shiny finish. It is advertised as a combination concealer and foundation and I can attest that the coverage is pretty good (medium to full depending on how you apply) when first applied.

I use the brush to apply this and only experienced very minimal shedding so you can tell that it is pretty good quality. I had seen reviews on other websites where the brush was shedding continuously so I hope that this issue has been rectified. The brush is very soft and does apply the foundation easily and smoothly.

I have very dry cheeks and very oily nose and chin and this foundation does wear off my oily areas very quickly. I have to set this with powder which doesn't take away the shine from the foundation but does keep this lasting a little longer on my skin. After about 4 hours though, this had highlighted all my dry patches (and found a few dry patches that I didn't know that I had!) and wasn't looking so good any more. It had gone a little patchy around my jawline and faded off my nose and chin. My makeup has to last me from 7am until 11pm and this product is a disappointment. I know it is not advertised as a long wearing foundation, but to only get 4 hours out of it before it looks bad is appalling. I live in Florida so the weather here is a real test of whether a foundation can last and still stay looking good. Fresh Skin foundation fails. It also settles into my fine lines especially under my eyes and I think has been contributing to an increase in breakouts recently.

On the plus side though, this does feel very hydrating and I can't detect any fragrance in this product. For those living in colder climates, or with non-flaky drier skin this foundation might be worth a try.

For $48.00 this is not worth the money. Yes the packaging is very pretty but not really practical (having to carry around the cardboard box it came in, so you don't get foundation from the brush all over the place, is irritating), the formulation isn't the best for my needs and the finish is shiny. I wouldn't buy this again and I am so disappointed in Estee Lauder. They make some great products but this is just a waste of money.