September 16, 2014 | 1863 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Rimmel - Stay Matte Primer

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2014 12:53:00 PM More reviews by galactic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have oily skin, and I live in Texas, so my face gets super shiny after a couple of hours. This was a pretty great primer, considering. It's thick, but it smoothed into my big cheek pores fairly easily. By the end of the day, I had minimal if any shine (more dewy than shine). I loved it more than I can express. I exfoliate, use silver powder, and moisturize with grapeseed or jojoba oil, then wipe off excess and apply this primer. I either use Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream or Revlon ColorStay as a foundation over top, and toss on a powder (usually Maybelline ... matte... something loose powder) and call it good. I'm content.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2014 10:40:00 PM More reviews by lushlife505

Maybe just the slightest amount of oil control but not enough so that I really notice.
I will not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/6/2014 4:11:00 PM More reviews by kaedegordon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First let me make something clear. I am moderately oily, but MEGASHINY. I don't know why, but even when I wash my face and blot of all access oil, my face remains a homing beacon.
This mattifies when I put it on, but soon my mirror like skin shines on through.
Oil control is moderate but nothing special. Sigh. I guess I'll try the black opal or eve pearl one next

rated 3 of 5 on 8/28/2014 5:10:00 AM More reviews by Rayellaxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is okay. I feel as if it only works well with the fit me foundation though. Every other foundation I've used with it, it has done nothing

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2014 9:03:00 AM More reviews by 1017

Cystic acne. Oh well, I am not that oily to begin with but thought this would be nice for summer to decrease some of the oil I do get. It felt ok, not great. But I got a couple of really stubborn cystic zits from using it so I won't be continuing use.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2014 12:38:00 AM More reviews by PiMehMeh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have combo-oily skin and I had hopes to use this to prevent shine longer when wearing it underneath my usual BB creams and foundations, but found that this did nothing for me after giving it a few tries. It applies like a soft, water-based lotion and dries to a very comfortable, natural finish. However, I wouldn't say that the finish is matte. That said, I got the same amount of shine prevention out of BB creams and foundations I tried this with that did not have a true matte finish--Shiseido Senka Mineral Water UV BB, Hada Labo BB Moist Emulsion, Maybelline Dream Pure BB, wet 'n' wild Coverall Cream Foundation. That is to say, it made no difference. I would still see shine coming through in roughly 4-5 hours, depending on the face product.

This unfortunately did nothing for me but wear comfortably. If it was an effective mattifying primer, then it has a killer price range of $5 for 1oz. But I'll pay a little more for a product that actually is effective at controlling shine on their own, like $8 for Maybelline's SuperStay 24HR Makeup or $21 for Clinique's Stay Matte Oil-Free Liquid Makeup. Rimmel's own Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation, also $5 per 1oz tube, surprisingly stays matte on its own more effectively than with its complementary Stay Matte Primer. This product was too easy to move on from.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/25/2014 10:54:00 AM More reviews by baileykf

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used this before putting my makeup on for a wedding, and it broke my face out. I've had 5 huge zits for a week now, and they're just starting to go away. It's a great product and works well, it's just that my skin is too sensitive to use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2014 7:34:00 PM More reviews by SilverAngel621

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pros: with the right technique you stay matte for 8+ hours
Amazing price (5.99)
No white cast

Cons: pfft this defeats all primers period

HG HG HG HG HG HG
Now I'm not a primer junkie but I've used the benefit porefessional primer and the smash box one. I loved the benefit one as that kept my makeup from sliding (eww I know) better than the smash box (which IMO is meh) but it did not keep me as matte as this primer.

My search is finally over. I work 8 hour shifts at a theme park so I'm in the sun a lot and sweating enough to get California out if it's drought crisis and I still come home with a relatively oil free t zone after 10 hours. I moisturize, put on primer, mix teint idole ultra with my nars sheer glow foundation and set with elf mist and spray. Then I use milani multitasker powder and put on nars blush in casino and Palladio mosaic powder blush in spice and finish off with a last spray of the elf mist and set. Mind you I tried the same process with benefit and that didn't even compare to rimmel. I still have half if benefit and more than 3/4 of the smash box that'll I'll never reach for.

Will update later if this breaks me out or makes me have small bumps on my forehead and chin (don't you just hate that?). Hopefully not cause this the bomb and I need to freaking store up on this stuff at ulta!

Update: no break out baby, but i hate that i can't find it at any of my drugstores. Stop buying it people, dammit, and leave some for me! I need this awesome stuff.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/23/2014 3:36:00 AM More reviews by djunk1e

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Man, I really wanted to love this product but it's 'meh' at most.

I love how thick and creamy the primer is and its ability to dry on the face fairly quickly. I've worn this about 10 times now and have tried to work with it, using it with a couple of different foundations + setting powders... and each time it would be fine when first applied, but after a few hours I just didn't like how it made my face look. I don't know how to explain it, but I just didn't look youthful and it seemed like I had so much oil under my face that was begging to come to the surface (lol??). It only kept me matte for 2-3 hours at most.

This also clogged a lot of my pores. Instead of having a smooth surface, I had tiny bumps scattered all over my forehead (especially in the center) that were there day after day that I used this primer.

I switched back to my neutrogena shine control primer a couple of days ago and my skin is looking so much better. My pores are definitely smaller and the bumps on my forehead went away!! It's funny that another reviewer said the neutrogena primer sucked compared to the stay matte, because in my case it's the opposite! So, YMMV.

I will not repurchase

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2014 2:03:00 AM More reviews by abstraction8878

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This primer is drying on my oily/combination skin. It made the rest of my make up really hard to blend after it had dried under. It made dry patches more visible as well. The lasting ability also was only 2 hours before I got shiny in my T zone and chin. I had tried the Rimmel Fix and Perfect Pro Primer 002 and I liked it. This one is seemingly more popular but I do prefer Fix and Perfect Pro Primer.