L'Oreal Extraordinaire Gel-Lacque

2.9

on 2/16/2015 2:13:00 PM

I've been using this for about a year now and it's just okay. I like that it helps my nail polish last a little bit longer than if I didn't use a base or top coat. Also, the top coat helps my nails dry faster. I find that instead of chipping, this stuff makes the nail polish peel off your nails. I also like that the base coat helps the nail polish not stain my nails. It's just really thick and causes me to get small "dents" in my nail polish. I don't know, I'd probably buy this stuff again unless I find something better.

on 11/11/2014 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

This is the worst nail product I have ever used. Nails chip within 24 hours. It seems to make the polish just barely adhere to your nail. Total waste of money

on 10/7/2014 8:32:00 PM

I love the base and top coat duo. I wash my dishes everyday and it still holds for a whole week. However, I find the colors ( step #2), too expensive and not enough choices of colors, so I decided to try a regular nail polish with the top and base coat and guess what - it works equally!! I don't see any difference between my regular nail polish color and the ones they advertise to use, so don' t waste your money on their colors, you can use any nail polish with this and it will work. Overall, I like this product (step 1 & 3).

on 9/24/2014 3:58:00 PM

This actually lasts less than my regular nail polish.
It chips the same or next day :(
I liked the color I picked, but if you're looking for something longer lasting don't bother.
Nowhere close to gel in how long it lasts.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Ever hear the story of the emporer's new clothes? That's this stuff. It's fine, adequate, some pretty shades. But no different from regular L'Oreal nail polish. I don't usually like base coat on my regular manis because I think it makes the color peel off in a full sheet. I normally just buff my nails and apply color. This supposedly being gel, I figured I would just use the base and top coats as directed. So basically I paid 21 bucks for the same mani I could have gotten for 6 by using the regular polish.

on 6/22/2014 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Normally I'm using expensive topcoats and basecoats. this one wasn't that expensibe, plus my mani at home lasts for 5 days at least (normally 1/2 days).

Will buy again!

on 4/15/2014 3:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I love gel manicures at the salon but they are expensive and damage my nails, though they usually last me about 12 days (they start peeling from the cuticles). Regular manicures that I do at home myself only last a few hours before they start chipping or peeling. So I wasn't hoping for much with this product. The primer applies rather easily and dries rather quickly. I bought the lightest shade for Step 2 and noticed it didn't apply very evenly and the color was streaky. The top coat also applied easily and dried fairly quickly. It did not give as much shine or 'plump' as a salon gel mani, but I was surprised that it lasted beyond a few hours. It did chip the following day, but honestly that was my fault - I was trying to peel a price sticker off a box. Other than that, it lasted about 3 days on my other nails under normal conditions (washing dishes/hands, giving my child a bath, doing laundry, typing on the keyboard, etc.). What I really enjoy is that it removes with regular nail polish remover (yes, you need to scrub and go over the nails a few times, but there is no need to soak them). Will I use this again on my nails? Maybe in pinch where I don't have the time or money to get to a nail salon - but I definitely like using this polish on my toes - it lasts longer and doesn't "rub off" like some other polishes do when you wear closed-toed shoes.

on 3/23/2014 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I keep reading awful things about this polish system-- and am experiencing the exact opposite. I will say that I have extremely awesome nails. They are very strong, very long and almost never break. They don't flex about so I rarely have chipping issues. I do get a lot of tip wear and loss at the cuticle.

This polish lasts me a week easy with NO flaws. The issue comes with regrowth as my nails grow very quickly. The shine stays and the finish is perfectly smooth.

I wore this polish on a trip to Manhattan with my infant daughter. I was washing my hands / bottles / hauling luggage etc constantly and still it stayed.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Meh. This is not the greatest base and top coat set, and contrary what it says on the packaging, not the only base and top coats that will work with the polishes from the Gel-Lacque line. The only nice things I have to say about them is that they're thin (after years of dealing with gloopy Seche Vite, a thinner consistency is nice) and dry extremely fast (like maybe 30 seconds). I don't think the top coat would dry any polishes beneath it, but it's a nice fast-drying option for adding shine to extend a dulling manicure. The base coat does a nice job sparing my nails from stain too despite being so thin.

Neither do anything to help adhere the polish to my nails and prevent chipping though. I wore my gel-lacque manicure for 7 days and on my healthier (non-peely, etc.), less used nails, the polish held up rather well for all 7 days. I had 2 nails on my right and 3 on my left that made it completely chip-free and with only minor tip wear. But on my peely, more frequently used nails? I had so many major chips on my right thumb and index finger just on the first night and second day of wear that I completely removed the polish from those fingers and started over on Night 2. Since I didn't want to put up with more chipping on those nails, I used my Revlon Colorstay's base and top coat instead of this set. Those two nails didn't chip again for the rest of the week so I think it's safe to say that this base and top coat was the problem and not the gel-Lacque polish (which I do kind of like!). My right middle, left middle and index fingers made it maybe 4 days without chipping and didn't start to look too bad until day 6.

Basically unless you have super healthy nails that need no help keeping your manicure nice, I wouldn't recommend this set. They don't offer anything to be worth paying $10-12 for the set, and the polish appears to work just fine without them.

I definitely won't repurchase these but I do want to buy a few more of the polishes from this line. I was really impressed with how pigmented the one I got (Fashion's Finest, a dark teal creme) was and how fast it dried. I will just be using them with my normal nail routine next time!

on 2/9/2014 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I wouldn't consider this gel polish, It simply seems like a base a topcoat packaged and sold together. I used it twice before wrote this review. The first test run was with the extraordinaire polish that is sold with it. the second time with a polish that was still L'Oreal but just something I bought last year. Both instances held up really well for traditional Nail polish It did not hold up like Gel polish. It begin to chip within a 5 days. with normal use of my hands, which is pretty normal for at home manis. I think that it would work for quick manicure but it your looking a for long lasting go with traditional Gel. There isn't much difference between this an others tops and bases, which is why I wouldn't necessarily buy it again. The shine is great and you can use it with any polish. I prefer traditional polish over gel polish in general because I tend to be no committal with my polish, so if you are that way it may work for you. I would suggest just buy the top and base, and go crazy with the color because the offered selection is limited.