July 29, 2014 | 1986 users online

Palettes - Anastasia Of Beverly Hills - Contour Kit

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2014 7:26:00 AM More reviews by samiiyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm definitely in the minority here, but I wasn't thrilled about this product. I had to order it online without swatching it on myself because I couldn't find the kit anywhere, let alone a tester.
I'm very pale (think Bobbi Brown Alabaster), with a pretty neutral skin tone that leans cool. I can't use things like Benefit Hula bronzer or Too Faced Chocolate Soleil bronzer for contouring because they pull orange on me. From the Anastasia kit "Java" and "Fawn" worked pretty well for me, but "Havana" was way too dark and pulled orange.
As for the highlighters, this is where I was highly disappointed. They were basically useless on my skin because they didn't show up at all. "Banana" was not good at all for me, but I understand how it would be useful for people with warm skin. "Vanilla" was ridiculous. It was a much better color match but not nearly as light as I felt it should've been. The only shimmery shade "Sand" was the only highlighter I really went for and I prefer my many other shimmery highlighters.
I ended up mailing it back, which was sad.
I'm giving it three stars because I don't think the issue was as much pigmentation as it was ill-fitted for me personally. I think it's a great idea to have everything in one kit, but the pale people need a matte highlight as well!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2014 1:03:00 PM More reviews by IridessaS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of my favorite products to use for contouring. I love how it shows on my medium dark skin! And the banana color is great for highlighting under the eye!! Just look at all the contouring-highlighting video tutorials on YouTube that use this product.
I find the price quite good, since you get 6 shades. I've also used some as eyeshadows and they work well! On days when I wear minimum makeup, I use the middle dark shade lightly for contouring and I also sweep it in the crease, mascara, brows and I'm good to go!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 1:12:00 PM More reviews by midgetasian93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love everything Anastasia, but this is my favourite product. I've watched all the makeup tutorials on Youtube and used all the suggested products there are for contouring, but for some reason or another they did not last or when they went on patchy. So when I saw everyone raving about this I was excited, but not hopeful. But as soon as I put it on my face I fell in love. It is so pigmented, the colour is rich, it doesn't have an orange undertone some products have, and it just worked for me. Friends and family have asked if I've lost weight, because my face looks so much slimmer - little do they know. This product is worth every dollar.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2014 12:02:00 AM More reviews by margomiller

This palette is so beautifully designed especially for the price. The 3 contour shades are the most pigmented things I have seen in my life and are AMAZING!! Unfortunately I am not impressed with the 3 highlight shades. They barely show! But this product still deserves 5 lippies for these beautiful contour shades.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2014 6:24:00 PM More reviews by NatachaXoxo

I love the idea of having this contour palette. Six colours easily accessible in one palette. The pigmentation is pretty good. The contour colours aren't muddy which is another plus. The banana powder however isn't my fave! I prefer to use Ben Nye's because I find it more pigmented, less ashy on darker complexions and Anastasia's Banana powder creases under my eyes. The Sand colour is very pretty but pretty much identical to Mac's Soft and Gentle MSF... I recommend this because it is good and the price is great for 6 colours in a cute highlight and contour palette!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2014 3:16:00 PM More reviews by ccguidry

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This palette is amazing, it makes contouring fast and simple with natural results. The colors are nicely pigmented and match a wide range of colors.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2014 6:26:00 PM More reviews by lalalovee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

i actually do like this palette. i wish it had a little more pigmentation but overall i like it

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2014 10:45:00 PM More reviews by Nashwakhaled

BEST contouring palette ever, for beginners it's perfect and even for professionals. Perfect colors, perfect pigments. Love love love it

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 11:05:00 PM More reviews by makeupenthusiast1994

I LOVE THIS PALETTE!
I'm pretty new to contouring, and I was looking to purchase a complete palette that had the basics. This was the palette I had been eyeing since they released it, I would read about it, watch reviews etc and one day decided to bite the bullet and just bought it-and I'm so glad I did! This is honestly such a wonderful palette.
This palette comes with 3 highlighting shades, and 3 contouring-for highlighting: sand, banana, and vanilla, and the contour: java, fawn and havana. Every single one is matte except sand.
for highlighting my favorite is banana and sand which has a little shimmer. For contouring I like to mix fawn-which to me is a little greyish, and java :)
Honestly, this is such a steal! the powders are sooo silky and easy to blend and I love the shades-I feel like this is a universal palette with shades for everyone!
I would def recommend this- for $40 its such a good deal, especially for those who are new to contouring or even makeup artists.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 6:45:00 PM More reviews by nychic1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm a big fan of Anastasia's brow products, they are well formulated, long wearing and non- irritating. So, when she announced she was releasing a contour kit naturally I got excited. On the initial release I held off from buying it, but after it sold out I jumped on buying when it was restocked.

Mine arrived very quickly and arrived with the insert showing how to contour. These are my initial feelings upon receiving the kit and my first use. I'll update my review if i encounter any adverse reactions.

First of all the packaging is carton. Not hard plastic like the Mac palettes. So I took off 2 lippies. The actual pans are 3 grams each, so a little bigger than the Mufe individual shadows for size reference which are about 2.6 grams. The pans are refillable. I tried putting them in my Mac z-palette. However, I think the magnets were purposely put in so that they wouldn't hold in any other palette. That remains to be seen as other people attempt it and write about it.

Previous to this I have been using Espresso eyeshadow and Blunt blush from Mac to contour, both applied VERY lightly can achieve very nice results depending on your skin color. The contour colors are fine milled, not heavily pigmented, but can be intensified. I think that is a plus if you are just learning to contour. They are easy to blend as well. I used the darkest for my cheekbones and jaw line, the medium for my nose and the lightest for my eyes. Love them all.

Next, the highlighting colors. Previous to this I've only used a light shade of concealor with Ben Nye's banana powder to highlight my nose, chin, cupids bow and forehead. The matte highlighting color (vanilla) is just a beautifully balanced shade. Not stark or chalky. It looked beautiful in daylight. The yellow banana is just a tad chalkier than Ben Nye' s but not too bad. Now the shimmery Sand is just gorgeous. I put in on the top of my cheekbones and as an allover sweep of shadow on my whole lid. I love this color.

I believe this palette is a great buy. All the colors have a really nice texture, good pigmentation, well formulated. I can do my whole face with the palette for a nice neutral daytime look. That also makes it great for travel. I'll update with my thoughts on how long wearing the colors are or if I experience irritation or breakouts. I doubt I will since the shades can be worn on the eyes without irritation.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No