Anastasia Of Beverly Hills Contour Kit

3.9

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am tanned asian and i purchased the kit in Medium to Tan in hope that I would find my hg countour kit. However, the shades are so orange. I tried to put them on once and I swear that every shade is very orange (even the darkest one). I already compared the shades on the palette to the website picture and it is different, so BEWARE! The powers are cakey and emphasize every pores I have on my face but that is not the major disappointment compare to the shades. And with this price I wish I could return it because I cannot use anything from it at all. What a waste. The good side is that it is so pigmented so you wouldnt use much, but still, it is too orange to apply.

on 4/16/2015 4:26:00 AM

Wow for the price of this kit you would think it would be a) pigmented b) blendable and c) have nice packaging. It is none of those things! I have tried and tried again to use this and it just fails. It seems like a product that was rushed out without being tested. I bought it because it was well known and there were not many other contour kits. I am so disappointed with this purchase. For the price i continue to try and use it, i have tried different brushes etc. but it just is not up to par. I always go back over it with Too Faced Chocolate soleil bronzer. Once you try that and see how well it blends you will be pretty disappointed with this too. I still plan on trying the cream contour palette but this product is such a no go.

on 4/12/2015 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am fairly new to contouring, I use BareEscentuals Warmth almost daily just below my cheekbones and into my hairline and that's the extent of my skill. I was super excited to see this contouring kit at my local Ulta and immediately splurged on the 'Fair to Medium' kit. It is not cheap but I have been using Anastasia of Beverly Hills products for 6+ years and the product quality is superior, well worth the price. I bought the Tarte 'the Slenderizer' two sided contouring brush (I didn't choose 'the sculptor' Tarte contouring pen because I have oily skin and can only use powders).

I watched a few YouTube videos on how to use the product (there are dozens) and went to town, I spent maybe a half hour watching videos and another half hour getting familiar with the powders and how they related to my particular bone structure. I don't usually remember the names of powders and these are not labelled, so I can't tell you which colors I use by name, but I use the middle contouring color the most on my pale skin tone, and add a bit of warmth with the other two. I used the far left contouring powder on my eyelid crease and the highlighter on my brow. I love the banana middle highlighting color, it is very subtle and at first I couldn't tell if it was even sticking to my face, but after layering with the beautiful shimmer highlight (my favorite part of the kit) I was amazed by the subtle difference in my face and overall tone. I felt like I was glowing! I used neural make-up all over my face (listed below with pic) and felt like I had a sun-kissed look... not bad for mid-April in freezing Boston!

I wasn't sure if I had applied too little or too much, but I was happy with the results and went to work. A co-worker took one look at me and said with big eyes 'you look amazing, what did you do??' That comment alone made the $40 purchase worth it! The only thing I did differently was contour. She couldn't tell AT ALL what I had done, the make-up blended so well! This is a feat for me because my oily skin can cause make-up to look slick or slide off my face, but this set nicely all day with my UD 'Up All Night' setting spray.

Here is how I look with a decent amount of contour on my face. Very subtle- none of that super-white under-eye that can show up in pictures with some highlighting. If you look closely you can see the dimension around my forehead, cheekbones, nose, and jawline. My cheeks, brows, nose and forehead are highlighted. Keep in mind I am SUPER pale after a very long Massachusetts winter!

Full Size Image

-For foundation I used Bare Escentuals 'Summer Bisque' and applied lightly all over.
-I used the contouring kit all over, except on my nose- I only highlighted, no contour.
-I use Anastasia Brow Powder Duo on my brows in 'Ash Blonde'.
-My lids have Urban Decay 'sin' all over, with the left contour color in the crease.
-I use Maybelline Colossal Mascara.
-Gabriel lipstick color 'Rosewood' (found at Whole Foods)
-Bare Escentuals blush, a limited edition color they don't make anymore so I won't bother with the name, it is a berry pink.
-Make-up set with UD 'Up All Night' setting spray. I use this any time I apply all-over foundation, my oily skin tends to cause any make-up to slide of my face, so unfortunately I can't tell you how long this product stays on sans-set spray.

Pros:
-Excellent quality, powders blend well and have multi-use, I love using this palette on my eyes!
-Sleek, slender packaging that allows for replacement of individual powders
-Did not cause clogged pores on my oily, comedone prone skin (hooray!!!)

Cons:
-Expensive, however you get quite the deal for 6 contouring powders (Tarte 'the slenderizer' goes for $24 and it is only one contour color, you do the math) when compared to some competitors
-Takes a while to get used to the colors and how they work with your bone structure. Not everyone can contour the same way and use the same tools, watch your videos and play with your product!
-Doesnt come with instructions or any insert whatsoever. Don't expect any help a-la Too Faced picture guides, this kit relies on self-education

on 4/8/2015 3:16:00 AM

Expensive, but worth it. Very Blendable. I especially like Fawn for contouring and Banana under the eyes. Very easy and convenient to have all these shades in one.

All hail the holy grail of contouring kits. I LOVE this kit I can't really say anything bad about it. I got this kit when it first became available at Sephora so I don't think the different colors were available then, but all the original colors worked for me. They are highly pigmented and I LOVE the banana powder. I also think sand is such a great highlighter, it really takes the contour to the next level and shows up great in pictures. I hope this product sticks around for a long time.

on 3/23/2015 1:40:00 PM

Not sure if I got a defective product, or was using the wrong brush but I felt the colors weren't very pigmented at all, and the highlight didn't show up unless I really caked it on. The shimmery shade also started clumping after a few uses. A little disappointed because after reading all the reviews I had really high hopes for this contour kit! I'm sure you can get same quality for a much more reasonable price elsewhere though.

on 3/19/2015 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I don't know why I waited so long to buy this bad boy! It's amazing! The contour shades are so smooth and pigmented and unlike any bronzer I've tried contouring with before. The highlight shades are also smooth and very blendable. Definitely worth every penny! There are a lot of YouTube tutorials on how to apply, but I feel like you'll get the hang of it and how you like to apply it with practice.

on 3/16/2015 7:04:00 PM

The quality of the powders is amazing. Very easy to blend and apply. I truly found nothing wrong with this product. I just wish that the highlight powders were more pigmented. I find myself using the contour powders and using a different highlight, not the given ones. The banana powder is amazing though !

on 3/12/2015 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I love this contour kit. It's a little pricey, but the colours are so pigmented and blend so beautifully. My favourite is Banana (obviously) for brightening under eye setting and even highlighting between my brows and on my chin. For contour shades, I love Fawn, it's the perfect shadowy contour shade without getting to bronzey. I wish the other two shades (Havana and Java) weren't so warm because it's not the best for the winter, but they're great to mix with Fawn and look awesome in the summer. The only shade I don't care for is the highlight colour, I think it's Vanilla? I just don't reach for it, I'd rather use something less pinky. I'm not sure if I would repurchase the kit, but I might buy some of the individual refill pans when I run out of the colours I like.

Also, I have a small issue with the packaging... I notice that there's still a gap when you close the top (it uses a magnet to stay shut) so I had my concerns about hygiene, but it's not a huge deal.

on 3/9/2015 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this powder contour kit (light to medium) for just about a month and have been very happy. I am getting more familiar on how to use it (watching youtube videos help) and have gotten so many compliments on my makeup or how my skin looks since I started using it. I definitely notice a difference but a natural one. I think it's all about using the right colors and blending, blending, blending. I find the colors to be highly pigmented so a little goes a long way. I just recently ordered the cream contour kit and can't wait to receive that. I have very dry skin so the only issue I have with this kit is it's a lot of powder on my skin and can make me appear drier than normal. Otherwise, I love this kit and would highly recommend.

Video Reviews & Tutorials