Anastasia Of Beverly Hills Contour Kit

3.7

on 5/19/2015 11:31:00 PM

I purchased the cream contour kit from Macy's and I'm so unhappy with it. It's super cakey and visible on my skin, doesn't blend well, and wears off after a few short hours. Doesn't live up to the hype at all, overall I'm unimpressed and do not recommend this product!

on 5/15/2015 7:49:00 PM

meeeh not impressed. There was so much hype and it was just ok. But for the price not great. The one true matte brown that I could use for actual contouring (not bronzing) was NOT pigmented at all, actually, none of them really were. Again, def was not horrible and if you'd never played w/other contour kits maybe it'd suit your needs fine, but I did return mine to hopefully try the stila of Kat Von D.

on 5/14/2015 10:39:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I wish these powders were more pigmented! Especially the highlight colors. I do like the dark shades for contouring but they can get patchy so make sure you blend well!

This product was fairly overhyped. I reach for my other bronzers and contouring colors than this kit. The explosion of new contour kits for spring 2015 are more worthwhile.

on 5/2/2015 10:02:00 AM

I was eyeing and reading reviews on this product for months and months. Its not available in Australia, so I had to dig on-line to get it in a cheap reasonable price. Finally I get it from NET-A-PORTER for AUD 55, plus $10 shipping. It will be a little cheaper than obtaing it from ABH website, as they charge US $18 for shipping and the australian dollar is low at the moment so it will actually cost you more when converting currancies!. Unfortunately I'M DISAPPOINTED!. I put too much high expectation on this product, it definately not worth the hype. I have light to medium skin tone, combination and acne prone. This product did not break me out which is a good thing. However, The lighter shades are not showing on my skin other than working as an under-eye setting powder. The shimmery color is again not pigmented, nor showing any shimmer. Luckily, I have Mary-lou manizer from thebalm to use it instead. The contouring colours are good, but not super-pigmented; I have to swipe my brush several times to get any colour!. The worst thing of all of this is the staying power!. Today I used the middle colour 'FAWN' to contour and the right colour 'HAVANA' to bronze my face. I put it on at 11:30 am and it was natural, beautiful and light contouring for day time which I like and enjoy. I checked again at 3:00 pm, and oh my GOD nothing on my face! Literally, no contour, no bronzer and no blush, only foundation and eye makeup. All ABH colours were gone in less than 3 HOURS!. My face is not super oily by the way, but the staying power is awful. Maybe I should put huge amount to stay for longer, but again it won't be natural at all!. I will buy different brush to see if that will make any difference and try to powder my face more before using this palatte!. I'm grateful I havent spend AUD 82 to get it as most online stores retail! I should've known better since its manufactured in CHINA!

on 4/26/2015 12:59:00 AM

Disappointing! For the price and considering the reviews I was expecting something that would sit on my face flawlessly and lasted. Instead it's very patchy and hard to blend, also after a few hours it's even more patchy because it rubs off very easily! The colours in the light palette are too warm for me and the light colours are to dark. I'm not sure if it's because I have very fair skin maybe I'm not meant to contour but I am yet to find a perfect sculpting powder.

I tried making this work for about a month but had to return it. I have fair, warm skin around NC25 and the shades/texture in the light to medium kit didn't work for me. Two of the contour colors were too orange on me, and the cooler tone color did not flatter my skintone. The highlight colors barely made a difference and were hardly noticeable. After only a few uses, the shimmery highlight shade started to clump in the pan (used a clean brush on clean skin each time). Sorry to be so negative, I really wanted to love this kit. I ordered it online so my advice would be to try it in person before purchasing if you can.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am tanned asian and i purchased the kit in Medium to Tan in hope that I would find my hg countour kit. However, the shades are so orange. I tried to put them on once and I swear that every shade is very orange (even the darkest one). I already compared the shades on the palette to the website picture and it is different, so BEWARE! The powers are cakey and emphasize every pores I have on my face but that is not the major disappointment compare to the shades. And with this price I wish I could return it because I cannot use anything from it at all. What a waste. The good side is that it is so pigmented so you wouldnt use much, but still, it is too orange to apply.

on 4/16/2015 4:26:00 AM

Wow for the price of this kit you would think it would be a) pigmented b) blendable and c) have nice packaging. It is none of those things! I have tried and tried again to use this and it just fails. It seems like a product that was rushed out without being tested. I bought it because it was well known and there were not many other contour kits. I am so disappointed with this purchase. For the price i continue to try and use it, i have tried different brushes etc. but it just is not up to par. I always go back over it with Too Faced Chocolate soleil bronzer. Once you try that and see how well it blends you will be pretty disappointed with this too. I still plan on trying the cream contour palette but this product is such a no go.

on 4/12/2015 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am fairly new to contouring, I use BareEscentuals Warmth almost daily just below my cheekbones and into my hairline and that's the extent of my skill. I was super excited to see this contouring kit at my local Ulta and immediately splurged on the 'Fair to Medium' kit. It is not cheap but I have been using Anastasia of Beverly Hills products for 6+ years and the product quality is superior, well worth the price. I bought the Tarte 'the Slenderizer' two sided contouring brush (I didn't choose 'the sculptor' Tarte contouring pen because I have oily skin and can only use powders).

I watched a few YouTube videos on how to use the product (there are dozens) and went to town, I spent maybe a half hour watching videos and another half hour getting familiar with the powders and how they related to my particular bone structure. I don't usually remember the names of powders and these are not labelled, so I can't tell you which colors I use by name, but I use the middle contouring color the most on my pale skin tone, and add a bit of warmth with the other two. I used the far left contouring powder on my eyelid crease and the highlighter on my brow. I love the banana middle highlighting color, it is very subtle and at first I couldn't tell if it was even sticking to my face, but after layering with the beautiful shimmer highlight (my favorite part of the kit) I was amazed by the subtle difference in my face and overall tone. I felt like I was glowing! I used neural make-up all over my face (listed below with pic) and felt like I had a sun-kissed look... not bad for mid-April in freezing Boston!

I wasn't sure if I had applied too little or too much, but I was happy with the results and went to work. A co-worker took one look at me and said with big eyes 'you look amazing, what did you do??' That comment alone made the $40 purchase worth it! The only thing I did differently was contour. She couldn't tell AT ALL what I had done, the make-up blended so well! This is a feat for me because my oily skin can cause make-up to look slick or slide off my face, but this set nicely all day with my UD 'Up All Night' setting spray.

Here is how I look with a decent amount of contour on my face. Very subtle- none of that super-white under-eye that can show up in pictures with some highlighting. If you look closely you can see the dimension around my forehead, cheekbones, nose, and jawline. My cheeks, brows, nose and forehead are highlighted. Keep in mind I am SUPER pale after a very long Massachusetts winter!

Full Size Image

-For foundation I used Bare Escentuals 'Summer Bisque' and applied lightly all over.
-I used the contouring kit all over, except on my nose- I only highlighted, no contour.
-I use Anastasia Brow Powder Duo on my brows in 'Ash Blonde'.
-My lids have Urban Decay 'sin' all over, with the left contour color in the crease.
-I use Maybelline Colossal Mascara.
-Gabriel lipstick color 'Rosewood' (found at Whole Foods)
-Bare Escentuals blush, a limited edition color they don't make anymore so I won't bother with the name, it is a berry pink.
-Make-up set with UD 'Up All Night' setting spray. I use this any time I apply all-over foundation, my oily skin tends to cause any make-up to slide of my face, so unfortunately I can't tell you how long this product stays on sans-set spray.

Pros:
-Excellent quality, powders blend well and have multi-use, I love using this palette on my eyes!
-Sleek, slender packaging that allows for replacement of individual powders
-Did not cause clogged pores on my oily, comedone prone skin (hooray!!!)

Cons:
-Expensive, however you get quite the deal for 6 contouring powders (Tarte 'the slenderizer' goes for $24 and it is only one contour color, you do the math) when compared to some competitors
-Takes a while to get used to the colors and how they work with your bone structure. Not everyone can contour the same way and use the same tools, watch your videos and play with your product!
-Doesnt come with instructions or any insert whatsoever. Don't expect any help a-la Too Faced picture guides, this kit relies on self-education

Popular Palettes