October 1, 2014 | 1580 users online

Styling Products - Aveda - New dry remedy daily moisturizing oil

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2014 7:37:00 AM More reviews by RaiinbowEyes

LOVE this stuff! I tried out a new salon, and they give away the 3ml tube to new clients. I was skeptical, since the salon sells the bigger bottle and I'm always wary of salons trying to sell hair products. However, I'm so glad I gave it a chance!
My poor waist length hair is damaged by 3 years of chemical dyes (red, idiotically until last month using 20 developer every time I dye.. ouch) and swimming in chlorinated pools. I love this stuff becuase it does better than any leave in conditioner I've tried, and it isn't loaded with silicones, so I know it's actually helping my hair, rather than just covering up damage. Actually it has zero silicones- awesome! Which is important to me, I'm done with just covering up damage with silicones which can actually make things worse over time. So this is perfect!
I love using 3 drops of this and 5 drops of argan oil together as my detangler and leave in conditioner. (I get my argan oil from Mountian Rose herbs so it's pure, unlike most argon oil hair products.) It seems you either love or hate the fragrance, so maybe start off with the 3ml sample and see how you like it first! Even the tiny bottle lasts a long time!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2014 2:56:00 AM More reviews by april1976

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Love. Lurve. Lahhhhve.

This is an oil treatment/styler with zero silicones. It does have what I consider an Aveda-y smell, which I happen to enjoy. My hair is fine, wavy/curly and there's so much of it I have to have it thinned monthly.
I use about 5-7 drops of this after my leave-in conditioner and while my hair is damp. If I do a blowout, it leaves my hair smooth and soft, if I leave it natural my waves/curls turn out decently smooth.
I prefer this to a serum with silicones because I find a high silicone content leaves my hair much less smooth. Another great thing is the small bottle of concentrated product is easy to travel with.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2014 1:24:00 PM More reviews by babekitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This oil has very light, almost non-oily texture, and it has no effect on my fine, long straight hair. I think it's more treatment than styling product. It has strong herbal smell, which is absolutely not pleasing and lasts all day.
I added this in my shampoo, maybe I'll see some positive changes.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2014 1:35:00 PM More reviews by Hotflashes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Everything it's banged up to be. I use 2 or 3 drops in soaking wet hair before my leave-in and styler and then a drop once my hair is dry scrunched in for shine. Smells gorgeous. I've used Aveda's Beautifying Oil for 20 years, I like this lots better. 3A/Botticelli curly, very fine but enough for several people.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2014 12:52:00 AM More reviews by Toritoro

I absolutely love this oil. My hair is very fine and currently bleached blonde. I use a drop or two on each side of my head and find it leaves my hair feeling extremely soft, shiny and silky. It doesn't weigh it down at all. I also really like the subtle herbal smell leaves. I usually apply it to damp hair before blow drying it, although I will use it when my hair is dry from time to time. A little really dies goes a long way with this product. I find if I use too much of it, it makes my hair a little too oily for my likings. Otherwise I'm very happy with this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2014 10:20:00 AM More reviews by twocents

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this - it works with my hair curly or straight, before blow drying or after. Hooray!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2014 1:20:00 PM More reviews by Retrohousewife

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this oil. I have curly hair that is pretty coarse. This does a great job of moisturizing my hair in the dry cold winter. It is not heavy at all and does not weigh your hair down. Since I have curly hair, I appreciate that it is free of silicones, unlike most hair moisturizing serums. My husband uses this too. He usually hates to have any product in his hair. It smells lovely. It really only takes two drops. A little dab will do ya!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2014 10:35:00 AM More reviews by KristinElise

For reference, I have very fine, medium length highlighted blonde hair. My normal routine is Dry Remedy conditioner followed by Moroccan Oil Light (about a dime sized amount) from about mid shaft down on towel-dry hair. Without any oil my hair would be dry and in an Upper Midwest winter, very staticky. Naturally I was pretty excited to hear about the Aveda oil because I love most other Aveda products and the Moroccan Oil seemed to be weighing my fine hair down. I was skeptical, however of the size of the bottle for the price ($27) so I used a coupon to get a tiny tiny sample first. Literally used 2, maybe 3 drops in place of my Moroccan oil and expected a day of annoying static and frizzy ends. To my surprise, my hair seemed to dry faster than usual during blow dry and the end result was soft, non staticky hair that was moisturized but not weighed down at all. I think I'd try an additional drop tomorrow but so far loving the results!! Amazing smell as usual, not my fav from Aveda but still natural and clean smelling.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2014 10:44:00 AM More reviews by KatWKSF

While the price of this tiny little bottle of oil is high, I think that due to the small amount needed for results and the variety of methods for use that this could be a re-purchase item. It also has that incredible smell of Aveda, which I personally love, that puts it ahead of other hair oils that I have used. For point of reference, I own and love Dermorganics oil, but I find the smell of their products so offputting, I can barely stand to use them (even though they perform great). This oil has that great natural/herb fragrance, but I will add, if you are NOT a big fan of the Aveda fragrance, you might want to give this a try anyway, because I noticed that the scent doesn't last - and I put it on twice in my prep process, once before I shampoo and once on damp hair before I blow-dry. My stylist suggested putting it my hair before I shampoo to help lock in moisture, prevent overdrying, and make my shampoo perform even better, and I think that it has succeeded in all. (I have very dry, damaged highlighted blonde hair). I put it on my damp hair before I blowdry & the result is hair that is very soft. I also believe that my hair dries faster somehow (could just be coincidence) and it looks great and feels great second-day. I do hate the dispenser tip on the glass bottle. The product barely comes out at all, so I have to shake & shake, and end up with drops of product all over my hands instead of where I want it. My stylist suggested using just 3 drops or so, but I find I use more and my hair isn't the slightest bit weighed down (and I have very thin hair). I don't put it near my roots and I have not tried it on dry hair; I don't think I have the natural volume or texture to handle that. Unlike my Dermorganics oil, this oil is more of a dry oil, wheras that product is more of a treatment, almost a serum. This product makes me tempted to try the Aveda newly reformulated Dry Remedy shampoo & conditioner; my stylist said that there is no protein in the formulas, and my hair hates protein.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2014 3:30:00 AM More reviews by emodel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Is this a styling product or a treatment? I think it is both...:-) So I never like oils on my very dry hair. Argan oil, etc, normally just sit on top of my frizzy, dry strands, make it look oily, that is it... BUT this Aveda product is very different! I really love it!!! I applied it actually on wet hair, first time I wasn`t that impressed but next time I applied a double amount, and my hair turned out great!!! Soft, looked healthy, not oily at all. I think it is also great on dry hair, like on a 2nd hair day to refresh your hair, if you don`t wash it every day. Smells nice, herbal. It is not cheap, but you only really need a very small amount, even when I doubled the amount on my wet hair, so it will last a while. (My other fav Aveda product is the little Be Curly Style-Prep for my curly hair, but the 2nd day it seemed a bit drying. Now, applying this oil and the curling products works great, no dry hair, not even on the next day, just soft, shiny curls.) Yay!!! I think the key really is to figure out how much your hair needs, I am guessing if you use too much it can make your hair oily and if you don`t apply enough it will be just `ok`, but once I put more on my hair (wet), it really made a difference. Love it. :-)))

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No