Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.6

on 4/19/2015 1:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

My first and now my favourite eyeshadow palette. I don't even like chocolate yet I LOVE the packaging and the chocolate smell. Love the shades, they are really wearable. I wear them often with the Too Faced Shadow Insurance or Urban Decay Primer Potion, but the shadows don't last all day - they lose colour after about 6 hours on my lids, and I don't even oily lids. My favourite shades are salted caramel, creme brulee, and marzipan. Comes with a few great highlighting shades as well, and marzipan and champagne truffle are also great on the inner corners. It's pricey, but I have no regrets! I prefer this to the semi-sweet palette.

on 4/18/2015 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have slightly mixed results with this palette, but I love it. It's a mostly neutral palette with matte and shimmery and glittery shadows. Mostly matte and shimmer, fifty-fifty with a few glittery. The purple shadow is glittery. These are very finely powdered and creamy-textured. They smell like milk chocolate. Amazingly so. I don't know how they did that, but it's truly chocolate scented. The eye shadows can look muddy if you don't apply them carefully--some of the colors are mid-beiges and caramels. This is true of brown palettes for me in general--if I don't apply them carefully, I look tired. Even so, I adore this palette and carry it on trips--it's sturdy and looks exactly like a large chocolate bar. I use the Too Face tube primer with these shadows to keep them on.

on 4/15/2015 8:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I wanted to love this product but I just don't have much luck with it. Everytime I pick up this palette I'm so optimistic about the looks I could create but I'm always dissappointed by how it applies. I use my UD Primer potion underneath but I find the colour crease and transfer within minutes of application. And some of the shades just blend away too easily. If the shades where longer wearing and didn't fade so quickly - I would love this palette. I do love the smell and the shade selection is gorgeous but *sigh* not for me.

on 4/10/2015 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I bought this palette from HSN when they had a bundle deal it came with the too faced shadow insurance and a full size better then sex mascara as well as a nude lipstick all for 50 which is the same price as the palette alone so I got an amazing deal. I love it! It smell so good and the colors are so blendable even more then my naked palette! Definitely add this too your collection the colors are very pretty

I love this palette! I have the orignal packaging (so points off for being bulky) and I HATE the plastic sheet with names on it. The smell is amazing and I've had it for months now and it still smells brand new. I like the majority of the shades, there are a couple that are little difficult to build up. But the neutrals are so shimmery and blend easy, its those pesky purples and that pink that put up a fuss. It's nothing terrible, just a bit of work to get them to look the way I want. The staying power on these shadows though is awseome. I use a primer for all shadows because I have oily lids (UD primer potion) and I've had around 15 hours of wear with no creasing or smudging. The only reason I wouldn't repurchase is because when I pan this palette who knows what will be on the market (and maybe I'll be sick of it in a year). I don't know if I could commit to buying it again. It's good, don't get me wrong, but palettes take a long time to use up completely and I'll probably be slightly bored with it by then. If not, I'll come back and change this review!

on 3/28/2015 4:04:00 PM

OMG I CANNOT DESCRIBE MY LOVE FOR THIS PALETTE! It is awesome in soo many ways so I'm just going to tell the CONS: the packaging is not very "safe", it does not close shut. And there are some shades like Gilded Ganache, Black Forest Truffle and Cherry Cordial, they have a chalky gritty texture, and this is literally it. Besides theese, the pigmentation and the colours are amaaazinggg, this palette is absolutely gorgeous and if you have the chance to get your hands on this beauty, you must. XX

the TWO issues i have is that the lid doesnt stay propped open, i wish it would! also NO product names on the inside come on? how hard is that.

other than that, this is a perfect brown palette, it glides lovely and no fallout

on 3/21/2015 8:18:00 PM

I was really surprised by this palette and how much I love it. My first palette was the urban decay naked 1 and that had great pigmentation too. I didn't expect this palette to have the same pigmentation and quality as UD naked. I have to say tho that I think i prefer the color selection here and I can create all matte eye looks or a mix of shimmer and matte. I also like the highlight shades better :). I will definitely repurchase

on 3/18/2015 5:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Let's do this the quick and concise way . The things I like about this palette are; it has a good range of neutrals with a pop of colour thrown in here and there, the shadows last a decent amount of time, they are smooth and buttery making application easy and enjoyable . The tin is cute and the smell of the shadows is appealing to me anyway( being a chocoholic)as they smell delicious! Things I do not like; the silly plastic sheet with the names of the shadows on(which I believe has been ditched in the semi sweet palette), one or two of the shadows seem powdery and a bit disappointing, mirror is ok but not huge . A silly point but it does take me longer to do my eye make up with these shadows as I keep stopping to sniff them ! I think this is a great palette, good value for money with numerous possibilities for different looks and is becoming a real favourite of mine.

on 3/13/2015 2:44:00 AM

So I swore to myself that I would not buy into the hype over this one as I have more than enough neutral palettes to get by on for the next forty years or so....these famous last words came back to bite me - as they always do. I managed to hold out to the end of 2014 for this but have not looked back ever since as it's been getting so much love and I really am so happy to have it.

For me Too faced shadow palettes can be hit or miss, generally I love the creamy soft shadows but have had about 4 palettes that have just been let downs for me. However I love this palette as its so versatile and fits in with every other palette I own - it can be a daily work horse.

For reference my skin is fairly light, I have blonde hair and green eyes and try to steer away from dark eye shadows as I find them "too much" on me and tend to go for a light / medium neutral look and only usually use darker shadows as liners. I have and find I can use most shades in this palette apart from Triple Fudge that I don't like and Gilded Ganache as any olive on me just turns muddy and unflattering looking and this one is no exception.

Strawberry Bon Bon is a pretty pale pink but not very pigmented so needs quite a few layers to get some colour showing - at least its not chalky. My matte Semi-Sweet is a bit dry and hard to pick up - but makes a good liner. I love Salted Caramel as it's so different being an orangey-brown, I generally use this as a crease shade and if its looking too orange for the look I'm going for it can be toned down slightly with a light application of Milk Chocolate brushed and blended lightly over the top. My two absolutely favourite standout shades are Marzipan a light peachy-brown and Cream Brulee a soft flattering gold - both are go to's as an all over lid colour.

My favourite two every day go to looks from this palette are:
Lid to Brow Bone: White Chocolate / White Chocolate
Outer "V": Haute Chocolate / Hazlenut
Lower Lashline: Marzipan / Creme Brulee
Upper Lashline: Amaretto or / Semi-Sweet
Black Forest Truffle

While I do like the smell of chocolate, it was not the reason I purchased this palette, but Too Faced were not silly and I think this was a great little marketing ploy to get people interested in something new. The shadows are a pretty decent size especially the matte and shimmer highlighter shades at 2.8grams each. I would see myself re-purchasing this in the unlikely chance that I will complete this palette...

Video Reviews & Tutorials