Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.6

on 8/28/2015 8:02:00 AM

i finally caved and bought the chocolate bar palette after lusting over so many. this didn't catch my attention whatsoever when it was released. in comparison to other palettes out there to me this had the best value and price for a total of 16 shades. most high end palettes retail for over $80 in australia while the chocolate bar is about $65.

when i first used this i was highly disappointed in the shimmer shades and highly impressed with the matte shades. having previously owned the too faced natural eye palette i was hoping for some banging foiled-like shimmer shades. i feel like you have to get the top layer off first. when that happened the shimmer shades were fantastic but not as high shine as my old too faced palette and not as great as the matte shades.

i find the biggest downfall of this palette is the colors. there are so many neutral brown shades. once they go on the eye there isn't a huge difference anyways. i was also hoping for another white or light gold shimmer shade as the only shimmer highlight the palette provides is the pinky one. there are a couple of colors i find a bit left of field such as the pink matte (strawberry bon bon) and dark shimmery purple (candied violet). with so many brown shades i'm not sure if they were the type of colors that would be compatible.

my favorite shades are marzipan (light peach shimmer), creme brulee (mid gold shimmer shade) and of course the matte shades in particular salted caramel and milk chocolate the light transition shades.

the palette overall is of great quality, packaging is sturdy, great selection of colors (you will find something you love regardless), and the pigmentation and blendability of the shadows great.

on 8/25/2015 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

When I first bought the chocolate bar palette, I absolutely LOVED it. Everything about it -- the smell, the packaging, the colors...beautiful. And I still think that it is a good product, but there are certain things about it that could be better. First off, I think that there are too many browns in it. Having neutral browns is always great, but I know that I already have a ton just like them that are just as great. There are three matte browns – milk chocolate, salted caramel, and semi sweet, and two satin/shimmery browns – hazelnut and haute chocolate. I think they are all beautiful shadows, but they could have put something more unique instead. I love love love the color marzipan. I hit pan on it within like the first month of buying it. I was disappointed in a lot of the shadows on the right. Strawberry bonbon and candied violet just aren't very pigmented, and I found amaretto, black forest truffle, triple fudge, and cherry cordial very hard to work with. You have to be really careful with those shadows. Love love love the two highlights. I haven't used the one dark green color, gilded ganache, much. It is a bit darker than I like. Overall, I think that the quality of a lot of the shadows is amazing, but probably the best part is the scent. I think that if I were to lose it, I would spend the money on something with more versatility instead.

on 8/22/2015 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

For a very long time i was not attracted to this product. The colors just did not grab my attention and i thought if i have the naked palettes then this wasn't really necessary.
Finally because of all the positive reviews it gets i decided to give it a try, and I'm so glad i did! I hate to say this but the quality is better than the naked palettes and because of this i really wanna get my hands on the semi sweet!

on 8/18/2015 1:15:00 PM

I love pretty much every shade in this palette. With so many options, you literally can come up with endless color combos for every occasion. I like to use the 1rst, and the last two on my eyes during the day for a casual smokey eye.

The shadows are very light in weight and give a cream smooth finish on your eye lid.

on 8/18/2015 12:51:00 PM

I'm sure the adorable packaging was one of the main reasons for so many people adding this palette to their wishlist, myself included! Despite 'Chocolate Bar' being quite a novelty in terms of appearance, it still has an air of luxury and feels very well-made. However, I do think that Too Faced made a mistake in not printing the name of each shadow on the actual palette. Was it so we'd keep the flimsy insert, therefore protecting the shadows? Who knows?
The cocoa scent is lovely, at least in my opinion. It isn't too overpowering which is great - I can't imagine anything worse than feeling nauseous and trying to apply the shadows at the same time. It's not something I'd specifically buy the palette for, but it's a nice touch and really adds to the whole chocolate aesthetic.
The majority of these shadows are beautiful. Champagne Truffle, the pink, shimmery highlighting shade, is one of my favourites, as is Marzipan. I like to use Salted Caramel among some of the other browns to create a pretty but understated look.
Some of the other shades aren't so great. I'm going to be totally honest here: Strawberry Bon Bon is downright awful. It could be my skin tone, but it doesn't show up when swatched at all. It's as if there's nothing being swatched to begin with! It's very disappointing because it would be such a sweet pink to use.
Cherry Cordial and Guilded Ganache are also disappointing. They look very different when swatched and have a lot of fallout, which is a shame, but I think they're a little too dark for me anyway.
Pigmentation is wonderful for the most part. The shadows apply very smoothly and last all day. There are so many colours to experiment with that I definitely think the price is justifiable. All in all, this is a beautiful palette with a fun edge - just beware of the few shades that let it down.

on 8/18/2015 3:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this palette! I've noticed with most of my palettes, I tend to use just a few colours and completely ignore the others, which is such a waste of money. With this palette, I use just about every colour, except the purple and the light pink. The shadows are really easy to blend and most of the shades are really pigmented. There are about four shadows that aren't as good of quality as the rest, but they are still nice. I have the old packaging, so it's really bulky and the tin makes a lot of noise, but that doesn't bother me too much. I don't think I would bring this to travel with based on the size though. Although I have flown with it twice and brought it with me on multiple train journeys and haven't encountered a problem. Overall I think this is a really high quality palette that is well worth the price. If I lost it, I would definitely go out and repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I do like the Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette by Too Faced. This is clichéd in my opinion though! It's cute & I like how it smells of sweet chocolate, but that isn't worth spending $49 because if you take all that away—a chocolate-looking container & good smell—I don't think nearly as many people would be as ready & willing to buy a popular, neutral palette. I don't mean to insinuate this isn't a good makeup company! I just don't think that smelling good & being made of natural cocoa powder make shadows look or feel $50 good.

I have the "old" packaging, & it's bulky & clunky; the "new" packaging is sleeker & slimmer. I don't have complaints, truthfully, & it doesn't make a difference to me since this sits on a dresser. I don't carry it around with me & the size really doesn't make a difference to me. There are 16 matte & shimmery shades. 2 are actually highlighter shades & bigger than the normal eyeshadows. The palette contains wearable, neutral browns & pinks. There are a few nice, darker shades for nighttime looks, too. They're all gorgeous, & even the shades I didn't think I could or would ever wear, I do! I personally like that any two or more shades work well together & can make a really pretty day or night look.

In regards to pigmentation & color payoff, some are good & some are bad. They're mostly good though so it is not like you're taking a major "what if" risk with the shades. Conversely, I have medium brown oily skin, & very oily lids. I'm not at all surprised that even Shadow Insurance Primer (their anti-crease eye shadow primer) didn't make some of the shades I had to layer to get true color look better or last longer. I experienced creasing & found shades that I had to layer/build up to get the look I want.

What I don't like are about this are that not all the shadows are textured the same. Some are smooth & pigmented; others are chalky & sheer, so I have to build them up to get color. I just don't know why they aren't all consistent in texture, but it's not so bad that they're unusable. Another con has to do with differing textures: I do get fallout from the shimmery shades than I do the matte ones… I understand why it is, but as someone who wears contact lenses, dealing with eyeshadow fallout means I'm risking an eye infection. My fellow makeup-loving contact lens wearers: tap off the excess & tap again!

As much as I do like this palette, I won't continue buying something just because it is extremely popular. The focus of this was just the product being made of real cocoa powder & smelling like cocoa/chocolate, & its smelling good isn't enough for me to drop that much money. I recommend it for the reason that it is a good quality neutral palette & is worth the money if you aren't a broke college student with oily/very oily skin.

on 8/11/2015 4:30:00 PM

THIS REALLY SMELLS LIKE CHOCOLATE.

The colours aren't anything special, neutrals (a bit on the warm side) as they are all the rage right now. Pigmentation is medium (better if you use an eyelid primer) but the shades complement each other, and as mattes go, these are really buildable.

I can't fault this palette, the price is a bit high (excellent marketing and package advertising though), the 'chalkiness' is minimal, virtually gone if you use primer.

What really sells this is the fact that it smells like chocolate. That's fantastic, although I don't really like fragrance in my cosmestics.

I have both the semi-sweet and sweet bars, and I prefer the semi-sweet colors.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This was my first "high-end" palette that I received as a birthday present !
Pros:
-Smells amazing (who doesn't want their eyeshadow to smell like chocolate, honestly??)
-Great pigmentation
-Blends beautifully
-Lots of different look options (ranging from natural/everyday to deep and smokey)

Cons:
-Expensive ($49 USD)

I adore this palette. I wanted it so much after seeing it/swatching it in Sephora and I honestly use it all the time. I love it so much and I think everyone should own it !

on 8/5/2015 5:42:00 PM

I adore this palette, it smells amazing as well, why would you want an eyeshadow palette that smells of chocolate?? Because when you open it the sweet aroma wafts towards you like you've just stepped into willy wonkas chocolate factory, why wouldn't that make you happy?? This palette contains beautiful neutral shades that can be paired with any lip colour! The shadows are very blendable. The different eye looks that can be created with this palette are endless! I own sooo many shadow palettes and this is easily one of my favourites! Thinking about buying it? Dooo it, you'll never look back!

Popular Palettes