Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.6

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have many Too Faced products that I genuinely love, but I never EVER reach for this palette. I find these shadows dry and chalky. Not true to pan at all. Especially in the case of sugared violets (the purple shade), and the other reddish-toned shades, which is unfortunate because those were the shades I was most attracted to. The scent is nice, but overall it is a major disappointment for me.

Though I enjoy watching youtube beauty videos galore, I have come to terms with the fact that I really only need a couple palettes. Oh my love for this is strong... this is going to be a long review. I know it. It begins with a short(?) story...

4 months ago, I did not have any palettes. I really wanted a high-end neutral palette, and I very seriously considered getting the Naked 1 palette. While I was trying to decide, I received a Stila palette, and the Balm's Nude 'Tude palette. Even though the Balm's Nude 'Tude can definitely be considered a neutral palette, I was not 100% satisfied with it (review to come), so I was still heart-set on getting myself another high-end neutral palette. Luckily, after playing with the other palettes, I realized that I really wanted a selection of matte shades and a pop of color as well. That's where this palette became a major contender.

Then Naked Smoky came out, and the price of all Naked palettes jumped another $2 in price. Remember, Naked 1 was $48 when it came out, and it has since increased $2 with every new Naked release. There is something about this that just doesn't sit quite right with me. I can't really call this a monopoly, but I feel like UD originally cornered the eyeshadow palette market, and is now trying too aggressively to reassert themselves here.

So naturally, I started rooting for the new kid on the block. I went to Sephora, and swatched this palette... and the rest is history. I have to try NOT to use this everyday.

I really love almost all of the matte shades: Salted caramel, Semi-Sweet, Milk Chocolate, Triple Fudge. (White chocolate is just ok.) I used at least one of these everyday.

I find it very easy and fun to incorporate any of these shades into a look: hazelnut, creme brulee, and haute chocolate

For a more intense look, gilded ganache, candied violet, and black forest truffle are fun pops of color. Gilded ganache is gorgeous but not as green in payoff as I expected. I love this color with Milani's Bella Emerald single.

The only colors I find myself needing to work harder to incorporate into looks are: marzipan, champagne truffle, and strawberry bon bon. I think i can at least learn to love every color in here except for strawberry bon bon... could I have a matte plum purple instead? Oh well.

In all, I am so satisfied with my choice. I think there is a great balance in this palette with the range of shades, tones, and finishes. I appreciate that the packaging has been slimmed down since the initial release. Those last two points help make this a very travel friendly palette, in my opinion. I have no problems with blendability nor with lasting power. (And I have made almost everyone I know smell this palette. Smelling chocolate when you open a palette makes it feel just a bit extra luxe. :) )

Favorite combos: Truthfully, I have enjoyed all of the looks I can get from this. Here are some favorites with other singles in my collection.
Color in center: Creme brulee in inner corner, triple fudge in outer edge, blended edges with milk chocolate. Then: gilded ganache with Milani's Bella Emerald OR Colorpop's BAE OR Candied Violet OR Black Forest Truffle in the center.
SUPER PURPLE!: combo of browns above, with both BAE AND Candied Violet in center
Colored liner: Creme brulee over entire lid, Colorpop's Blaze in center, haute chocolate in outer edge, Milk Chocolate to blend crease out, Milani's liquid eyeliner in green (basically, gold, gold brown, light brown, dark brown, then bam! COLOR!!)

Similar shades: I won't call these dupes, but I think you can achieve very similar looks.
To Creme Brulee: Colorpop's KathleenLights, Covergirl's Golden Sunrise, Stila's Honey
To Marzipan: Wet n Wild's Highlight shade from Silent Treatment
I'm sure there are others but these are ones I found in my collection.

Thanks for reading! Hope this was at least enjoyable, if not helpful!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This palette has been out for a while but I never thought the hype would be real. I recently decided to give them a try and purchased this palette along with the Semi-Sweet Chocolate bar palette and all I have to say is I threw away all the eye shadow palettes that I owned before! These eye shadows will be the only ones I will ever use from now on. They have all the colors you need, they are buttery, super blendable and pigmented, they last all day remaining intact, and the chocolatey smell is amazing!!! The hype is real!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This palette is great! I ignored this when it first came out cos I thought it is just another overrated product but then I decided to give it a go and try it.

I just love the colors. It has a wide range of pale/nudes,browns,bronze,plums,pinks, to deeper neutrals. I also love that the colors that can be used as highlighters like for the browbone are bigger in size. They definitely thought about it and I thank them for that.

The texture and blendability also is very good. With an eye primer, you'll never have a problem using this palette. It's very versatile. The cute packaging and its smell(chocolate smell) are just a bonus.

It's definitely worth a try!

Too Faced is kind of a hit or miss brand for me. I've tried a couple eyeshadow palettes from them that just don't really cut it. The chocolate bar palette however, is amazing! I like the way it smells like cocoa but I love the way that the shadows themselves are rich and blendable.

This is one of my favorite eyeshadow palettes because:

- it has awesome matte browns. I always use them in my crease when I'm doing more a smokey look.
- salted caramel is the perfect warm transition shade on my NC-30/35 complexion
- the colours are, in general, very rich, pigmented, they blend very easily, and if you wet your brush you'll love them even more
- there are 2 highlight colours: a matte one and a shimmery one and both are bigger than the rest and I really appreciate having both options
- it smells heavenly

What I don't like:

- there are a few shades (cherry cordial, black forest truffle...) that have chunks of glitter in them and they're not the best. The glitter in them is not the most beautiful and they're not as pigmented as the other normal shimmery shades like crème brulée, hazelnut, marzipan, etc, that are gorgeous. I mean, they still work but not as awesome as the rest.
- the pink shade (strawberry bon bon) is so bad. I don't get why is in the palette in the first place (matte baby pink), it doesn't inspire me at all, I really don't get it and the quality is really bad, the pigmentation is awful and it is very powdery. I don't touch it.

If you like neutrals I would totally recommend this palette, you can make a lot of different things with it and the quality, overall, is great.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is the second high end palette that I have gotten and I absolutely love it!! First off, the chocolate scent is amazing. Every time I open it, I just smile. Second, the colors are amazing! I love every single shade, some more than others, but every color I can see myself using. The packaging is adorable and the price is great for how many shadows you get. I own the Lorac Pro 1 as well, and I never thought I'd say it, but I prefer this palette. I just can't rave enough about this palette. They swatch beautifully, they wear beautifully, they last a long time on the lids. They're buttery and smooth. This palette is just so perfect! I have warm, yellow skin and this palette really suits me well. I heard that the Semi Sweet one might be better for me, and I did want it over this palette. But, now that I have this palette, I don't even want the Semi Sweet. I'm just so in love with this palette! :D

Amazing!!! I thought nothing would ever live up to my urban decay naked palette but this one has become my new favorite! I love the variety of colors, 2 different highlighting shades, and the endless possibilities of looks! Definitely worth the price.

I love this pallet! It's beautiful and smells like chocolate! The colors blend beautifully, and you can do a lot of looks with this one pallet. Don't let the price scare you, as with most high end eye-shadow pallets, they are well worth the money. It takes years to hit pan. I will definitely repurchase!

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I bought it as a little gift to myself and I am so pleased with it. The eye shadows are extremely pigmented and the colours are so wearable. It smells incredible because of the chocolate and the packaging is great, it is a bit bulky but it is my go to makeup palette. When I go on holiday I take it because I can use it for the day and the night and I think everyone should think about getting this palette!

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Bronze Smokey Eyes Using Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette | Jo Levy by Jo Levy

Smokey Aubergine Eyes Using Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette | Jo Levy by Jo Levy

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette by Myesha La'Shay