April 18, 2014 | 1297 users online

Pressed Powders - NYX - Radiant Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2014 5:26:00 PM More reviews by jkpetite

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Would I purchase again? HELL YEAH!!! This stuff is, hands down, AMAZING!!! Thanks to a BOGO sale on NYX @ ULTA, I was able to snatch both Brighten & Sunkissed. So glad I didn't have to choose because I don't know that I would have been able to do so!

They are both beautifully packaged, with the product itself securely contained in their cases. The powder is lightweight but pigmented well. I've used both on multiple occasions and I get so many compliments.

The Brighten one does just that - it brightens the skin and gives it a subtle but radiant glow. The Sunkissed one also brightens but brings warmth and a bit of color to the skin. Both are great for any season.

I love how all the shades work together to give an awesome finish to the skin. I apply with my ELF studio complexion brush for best results. I definitely suggest a big, fluffy brush for application.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2014 2:22:00 PM More reviews by englande

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've only been using this for a week and I already love it. I was using a Sonia Kashuk loose powder (which is fabulous by the way), but found this much easier to apply and way less messy. I picked it up because the Target I went to was out of the Sonia Kashuk powder. Plus, I'm a big NYX fan. I am so glad I tried this in the brightening shade. It is silky and applies very thinly. It doesn't leave you looking cakey, matte, or glittery. It's a nice smooth sheen and sets your makeup very well. I will be getting the sunkissed for summer!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2014 10:16:00 PM More reviews by Embeth3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Holy luminous glow, Batman!
This is right up there with the best finishing powders I've ever used. I'd say it's on par with my beloved Scott Barnes Diamond Dust and Guerlain Meteorites, which for a cheap ass, clear perspex compact of pressed powder from NYX, is freaking awesome.
Love. Love love loveLOVE.
OK, so I bought this on a whim after it was on sale for 20% off on a website I use regularly, even though it has just arrived in stock. Awesome. So, very affordable, which is always good!
Six rectangles of soft pastel colours, white, blue, green, yellow, pink and lilac. This is quite soft for a pressed powder but the texture is firm enough that I don't get a lot of excess kicked up by my floofy powder brush, though this could be more on an issue if you're using something with really dense bristles, so YMMV. If you swatch with a finger, the powder looks a bit ashy and pale, but applied with a soft puff or a big brush, it goes on virtually translucent and leaves an amazingly subtle matte glow.
Only the white section has any detectable shimmer, and this blends beautifully with the rest of the shades to leave a silky layer of gorgeous luminosity that is in no way shimmery, sparkly or glittery.
The pan size is pretty generous, 12 grams, which is bigger than normal but since I've only used this a dozen times so far, it may be offset by the soft texture and be used up at a similar rate to more densely pressed or pigmented facial powders... we will see.
No fragrance, no mirror, no useless scratchy brush - nothing unnecessary to take up space. The compact is rounded square clear lucite, nothing fancy but it's not ugly and it does the job just fine. It's flat, so it stacks nicely and is slim enough to slip in a bag or drawer if needed, even though it's fairly sizable to begin with.
I was in a fancypants department store yesterday and wandered up to the Bobbi Brown counter to check out the L'Wren Scott palette (NOT impressed, BTW) and what do I see but a super expensive powder that looks EXACTLY the same (but about half the size, mind). I swatched it, blended it out and it looks absolutely identical. Similar texture, the colours are in exactly the same places and sure it's in a snazzy chrome compact with Bobbi Brown on the lid but, really?!
To be fair, I wasn't able to do a side by side comparison then and there but whoa. It's totally a dupe. I don't know who "copied" who or if these two brands snagged the same product at some mythical makeup production supermarket (do these exist? If not, they should and I want to go there immediately...) but I do know which one I'll be purchasing a backup of.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2013 9:41:00 PM More reviews by AlatarielAncalime

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This was an impulse, "I'm standing in line and there's a new NYX display right next to me" purchase. I'm like a kid with colorful products, and this mosaic-style multicolored pressed powder caught my eye. It isn't even on the NYX website yet. Apparently it's part of the new line that will launch in full in January 2014. It's a pretty perfect dupe for the Bobbi Brown Finishing Powder in Porcelain Pearl at a very small fraction of the price.

When I swatched it, I was worried because it looked quite ashy and chalky on my finger. However when I applied it all over my face, I was so pleased! The finish isn't quite dewy but definitely not matte - luminous is the only word that really fits. Definitely no chunks of glitter visible on your skin when you apply it. Today I'm wearing it over just my moisturizer and blush and it applies evenly, without any patches. I've had it on for 10 hours and my skin still looks quite presentable - blush is intact, no shine (Can't say the same for my mascara :). The only reason I give 4/5 overall is that it's quite powdery - it ends up all over my counter when I swish my brush around in it.

So overall it's a very nice finishing powder for the winter months when your skin might need a little glow-boost! I am constantly impressed with the quality of NYX products.