April 19, 2014 | 1689 users online

Pressed Powders - Maybelline - Dream Wonder Pressed Powder

rated 1 of 5 on 4/17/2014 4:53:00 PM More reviews by Mulan1

This is crap! I bought this after I read a lot of hype about the old formula. This has very light coverage and I think it made me break out in little bumps. The powder is very finely milled and does have a creamy like powdery texture, but it has no coverage whatsoever and did nothing for me. I don't recommend this to anyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2014 10:51:00 AM More reviews by madameovary

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm currently using Benefit's Hello Flawless powder in Petal. I've been very happy with it but I'm always on the lookout for a good drugstore alternative. I spotted Dream Wonder powder at the grocery store the other night and bought it on a whim. As previous reviews have stated, this powder goes on darker than you may expect. I originally bought #60 sandy beige and had to go back for #20 classic ivory, which is a better match for me. Upon first inspection, I found I dislike the packaging. Having the mirror below the product is a bit inconvenient but I do like having the sponge in a separate compartment. When I ran my finger over the top of the product, I was pleasantly surprised to see that there is absolutely NO powdery, chalky finish to it at all. When I swiped the sponge over it and applied to my cheek, there wasn't even a hint of powdery-ness. It covered small imperfections and evened out my skin without looking like powder in the slightest. Something I can't say about my Benefit powder! I stop just short of excitement because I've never found a drugstore powder I really liked. I haven't yet road tested the lighter shade so I can't comment on oxidization. But based on what I've experienced so far, the finish is extremely smooth, even and natural. It stayed put and didn't break me out. I would say this powder provides medium coverage.

I was curious about all the negative reviews. I wasn't ever a fan of the dream matte powder so I wasn't looking for a replacement. I kind of wish Maybelline hadn't named it dream wonder because inevitably, people will associate it with dream matte, which this powder is NOT. If you're looking for shine control and/or have oily skin, I wouldn't recommend this. Looking at the ingredient list, the very first ingredient is dimethicone, which explains how it goes on so smoothly with no chalkiness. My skin is dry/sensitive now that I'm in my 30's and I find this formulation works very well for me. It doesn't make me drier or accentuate flaws or pores and after a few hours, while the coverage is still present, some shine begins to peek through. I rather like this effect because flaws and discoloration are still concealed, so I just look like I have even, glowing skin. So if you're looking for a new dream matte powder replacement or need something to control oil or shine, this may not be the right choice.

While this powder may be a huge disappointment for some, I do believe I've found a great product for my needs. I have never worn foundation and even dislike tinted moisturizers. I've stuck with concealer around eyes and mouth and dotted on dark spots, powder applied on top. Powders meant for finishing or mattifying looked too dusty and dry on my skin and didn't even skintone. Cream to powder formulas were too heavy and didn't look natural. DW powder's formulation is like a combination of silicone primer and powder. Super silky and super light with an even finish, thanks to the dimethicone. I believe it's because of this ingredient that people will either love or hate this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 8:36:00 PM More reviews by templesgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't understand why the bad ratings ! I love this ! I have oily skin and this powder sets my foundation and keeps the oil at bay for hours ! It's silky and smooth . I use a big dense powder brush to apply . Love love love !

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2014 1:59:00 PM More reviews by Playmate143

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This powder has such horrible reviews! Not sure why the Dream Matte powder was discontinued, I tried to snatch one up at the drugstore recently since it's being discontinued so I could have a few backups of it and it was already gone, so I got this one instead and decided to take a chance on it, and i'm so glad I did. I usually use my Ben-Nye banana powder to set my makeup and under eye concealer, but I've been using this powder over the past few weeks and it is freakin amazing! I have had my days where my makeup wants to decide when it wants to look good and when it wants to "act up", not sure if it was my skin or my makeup acting up but since I started using this my makeup looks flawless. I use my RT powder brush with this and the results are AMAZEBALLS!

Not sure if they changed the formula in it, but unless something changes this is now my favorite and possibly HG status, and best part it's so affordable, about $6.99 or so and Ulta has been having a lot of bogo 50% off which works out even better, so glad I took a chance and got this on a whim, sucks it didn't work out for other people but it's working for me, I absolutely love it and hellll yeah I'll re-purchase, but will update if anything changes!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2014 11:33:00 AM More reviews by taylor123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

why maybelline. WHY did you have to take away dream matte and create this product? i just dont understand. First off, the color selection is terrible, most of te colors only cater to darker skin tones, luckily I am very tan right now so I thought one of the shades would work well for me, however throughout the day it turned ORANGE. Even on my naturally bronze skin, you could tell a huge difference in the color. I can't imagine the issues that lighter sin tones would have! Secondly, it doesnt control oil whastoever. I'm normal to oily but I live in Florida so when it's super hot I sometimes suffer makeup meltdown, this powder started to break up in my forehead, and created those annoying smile lines around my mouth, got very oily around my nose and some other areas. All this happened after maybe 2 hours of school. I had to go to bathroom and apply a whole new layer to look presentable and then it started to get really cakey looking. The only positive I can really find is that it offered decent covrage when first applied. Luckily I had some makeup wipes in my car and just took everything off. I ended up throwing this in the trash, wouldnt ever want to give this to a friend and CVS always gives me issues with makeup returns. PLEASE DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS. Maybelline, this was a really bad move on your part. Just dumb!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/22/2014 8:18:00 AM More reviews by brookerey

I used the dream matte powder for years, it was my favorite drug store powder! I still was wiling to give this a try, and the 1st one I bought was WAY to dark and turned orange, I ended up going back and getting the 2nd lightest shade which still seems dark but the lightest one has a tint of pink. I am so pissed they discontinued dream matte powder, I actually contacted them on the website asking for them to please bring it back. Maybe if enough of us contact them they will? Hehe wishful thinking. :]

rated 1 of 5 on 3/21/2014 8:26:00 PM More reviews by coladas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My usual Maybelline Dream Matte Sand Beige was nowhere to be found. What a disgusting looking powder. All of the shades are dark. I got 40 Nude. God forbid you get an oil break thru, the powder on you face will change color, by the end of the day I looked like I failed miserably at self tanning my face. And this does not keep you matte at all! Trust me on this.

Maybelline made a big mistake with this. I will never buy this again, whats the point, it wont keep me matte. Don't waste your money.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2014 6:13:00 AM More reviews by Reservechic

Dream Matte which I had used for years is now discontinued and this is supposed it's new and improved version. Dream Wonder is certainly not the same as Dream Matte, neither do I feel that Dream Matte needed a makeover in the first place. As, there was nothing wrong with the original version. Dream Matte would keep my face shine free practically all day, the color never oxidized, and I had found the perfect shade for my skin.

With Dream Wonder there are more shade choices offered, but they run more on the darker side than the original Dream Matte Shades. Because, of such, I wasn't sure what exact shade to go with so I ended up getting more than one pure Beige, Sand, Beige, and Classic Beige. Throughout the day, I find that the powder does oxidize on my face, so I can only use Classic Beige, because it's light enough that when it does oxidize on my face it's really barely noticeable, with the other shades, it's not the same.

And, the Dream Wonder Powder does not control oil the same way that Dream Matte did. I have combo-to-oily skin, and with this powder, I find myself having to do touch ups. Now, I do like that this powder is very fine and texture and does go on silky smooth. However, do not understand why Maybelline chose to discontinue Dream Matte. As, it was one of the best powders out there.

Overall, I feel that the new Dream Wonder powder is a decent drugstore powder. And, even though Dream Matte was better, I still will continue to purchase it. As, there aren't any drugstore powders on the market that are really worth giving a 5 to. The quality of most drugstore powders I find today run from being decent to really poor.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/14/2014 7:38:00 PM More reviews by puppymoomoo

Why, Maybelline, why?? :'(

I mistakenly picked this up thinking it was just a new packaging for my holy grail, Dream Matte Powder, but after using it many days in a row and looking atrocious, I realised that it's a completely different powder altogether. It's awful and looks cheap on the skin.

Why did they discontinue the almighty Dream Matte Powder?? I tried so many different powders and Dream Matte was always the hands-down best. I had used it continuously for years and it always gave me confidence. This Dream Wonder powder is definitely a few steps backwards for Maybelline, which is so surprising because it's a great drugstore brand.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/12/2014 1:19:00 PM More reviews by GabriellaC

Horrible product, I bought the lights shade which is por. ivory and it's orange after 1 hour....