August 22, 2014 | 1980 users online

Eye Shadow - Almay - Softies (New) in Smoke

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2014 3:19:00 PM More reviews by MelissaLovesHerMakeup

I was afraid to try these shadows, owing to the negative reviews, but I loved this so much, I had to add my own review! I used the shadow in Lilac yesterday (this is my first product review, so I have to figure the site out to add a new stand-alone review. Sorry.), and not only did it last through a grueling workday, when I was preparing to cleanse my face at 2:00 am, the shadow was still there, as fresh as when I first applied it! I did not experience even a tiny amount of creasing!

I have normal skin, and my lids are not oily, so take that into account if you want to try the shadows. I prepped my lids with a touch of Laura Geller Spackle. (It was her regular face Spackle, not the kind especially formulated for eyelids. When I apply Spackle to my face, I always add a touch to my eyelids.) I used my index finger to apply the eye shadow all over my lid, and that was that. I lined with Laura Geller Inkwell liner in Purple (the two colors of the shadow and liner look lovely together), and I used CoverGirl Clump Crusher mascara to complete the look. I will most definitely use this shadow again and again! I will buy more when mine is depleted, but I have a few of the Lilac in my makeup bag.

The teardrop packaging is cute, but the color names are printed very small, and only on the back of the label. You get a fair amount of product. As far as pricing, I've seen them in stores for around $5.00 each, give or take a few cents, but I purchased several on eBay, and I paid $3.00 or so for six of them (what a bargain!).

I believe that the primer was helpful in keeping the color in place. The texture of Almay Shadow Softies is unlike regular powder eye shadows. I have other colors that I'll be reviewing, but the Lilac is a hands-down winner in my experience. I can't wait to try ALL the colors!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/10/2014 11:07:00 PM More reviews by MsKacey

I purchased two of these: Smoke and Vintage Grape. Excited, I tried Vintage Grape the very next day while getting ready for work. when I first opened the package, i was immediately weirded out by the jello-like texture. after prepping my lid and loading an applicator, i tried applying and NOTHING. barely there, if anything it was working like an eraser and wiping OFF my primer!! after trying with my finger i noticed a tiny bit better results so opted that route. ended up giving up and covering it with my normal go-to shadow. i don't understand how anyone would like these. definitely would not recommend.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2014 6:27:00 PM More reviews by mom2go

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I like to have one very dark brown matte eyeshadow in my arsenal. They are such multi-taskers. So I bought this Almay shadow in "Hot Fudge," which, in the pan, looks like a perfect dark brown.

What a shock when I tried it on. There is NO color payoff. Even with multiple layers, there is only a very subtle brown-ish wash. I don't know if the other shades are this wimpy, but based on this experience I won't be purchasing again.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/18/2014 7:28:00 PM More reviews by Megzimo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of these, first of all they have a layer on them that make them seem better the. They actually are but when you get to the actual product they aren't very good. The consent is very creative but they aren't very "soft" and "bouncy" at all unless you dig your finger in them and by that time the product is pretty much useless. They are also very poorly pigmented and don't layer very well with other eyeshadows. I will say for the someone who isn't looking for something special it might be fine they blend fairly well and they work well without a brush for me I wouldn't repurchase it but it may work for someone else.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2014 11:09:00 AM More reviews by rays

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't know what all the complaining is about. Bought 3 of these in honeydew , smoke, and lavender. I love a light flush of color and this is it. I have green eyes so these are great colors for me. I used a thick liner brush with the smoke and lined my eyes but it was so subtle. I like to wear makeup so the lines don't look very distinct.I love the blended look.This product is great for that.The honeydew is just great for greeneyed gals. I intend to try more colors. It's a cross between a powder and a cream but not too creamy.I hate heavy makeup so this is my dream.No smell what so ever which my sensitive eyes love. Gorgeous colors.6 colors are matte so watch which ones you buy.For the 4 bucks per shadow i got a bargain.Love them

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2014 10:50:00 AM More reviews by Suesaroo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Just picked this up at Target with the recent coupon for $1 off. I really like it. Great color and buildable. Not sure just which brush to use with it so I am experimenting. I have tried more Almay in the year and their shadows have come a long way.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/1/2014 4:01:00 PM More reviews by glamgirl31

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought these in the shades Smoke, Vintage Grape and Lilac. Smoke isn't horrible, it's just ok. The color is a dark charcoal/taupe with a hint of brown. I've used this shade a few times as a contour for my crease. The other two are horrendous. The Lilac is a frosty light lavender, which I thought looked pretty in the pot. As soon as I applied it, I regretted it. The sparkles in this are so chunky that I had fallout that was unattractive and painful! Literally! The chunks of sparkle got in my eyes, causing them to turn beet red. The Vintage Grape is a deep purple with less sparkle than Lilac. Unfortunately, there was no color payoff. I kept Smoke but tossed the other two. I used to love Almay's eye shadows but in the last 3 years they've really gone downhill. I will never repurchase an Almay shadow.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2013 11:27:00 AM More reviews by Meriel65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was rather excited to see this at Target the other day. I am usually not a "packaging snob" but Almay has always been so boring. Packaging can be simple and utilitarian but not always boring, you know? Plus Almay sells shadows in palette form and you are stuck choosing a set that has maybe one color that actually works well with one's skin tone, and the rest are just useless. At least that is what has always prevented me from buying eye color from Almay. (And I don't mean to bash Almay: TLC foundation in Buff is the best ever and the only foundation I've bought multiple times.)

The new product has a rather limited shade range, but the colors are all gorgeous. I had a gift card and I thought: why not? So I bought the shade in Smoke. And it's a beautiful color! A medium taupe/gray with just a hint of shimmer. But goodness: the texture! The ad for this read "Whipped" so I thought it might be a mousse or cream formula. Nope. The surface before I dipped in looked exactly like it was a powder. Nope. It has this weird, putty-like consistency.

I have since done some on-line research and people all say the same thing: This is an odd hybrid that basically does NOT work, which is sad because the colors are lovely. The color payoff is very sheer which is OK for a wash or whatever, but to achieve even that takes much effort. The texture of this prevents the use of a brush or even a traditional foam-tipped applicator. You can't really pick up product. You must use your fingers, but then that prevents any sort of fine-tuned application, say, as a liner.

I am rating this a 2 in spite of all its deficiencies because the color is so lovely. Maybe someone can figure out how to use this more effectively. I had wanted to get the purple shades as well because they are so beautiful but nope--not gonna happen. The packages are nice and sleek this time around, but Almay needs to go back to the drawing board on this one.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No