October 22, 2014 | 1300 users online

Eye Shadow - Almay - Softies (New) in Smoke

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2014 4:00:00 PM More reviews by hayleyelwick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

When I saw these, I'm afraid I was really drawn in by the packaging. What can I say?! It's so dang cute, small, and sleek looking. (Pretty different from Almay's other product packaging if you ask me)

HOWEVER, I did not buy these upon the first glance, I waited it out. When I went back, I was really drawn to colors that I would consider "all over the lid" shades, but I really needed some good transition colors, and the name "Softies" led me to believe this would be a good choice. So, I passed up the moss green that caught my eye (which my boyfriend decided was the ugliest eyeshadow he'd ever seen. I beg to differ.) and went with Peach Fuzz (a peachy orange color as the name suggests) and Smoke (a charcoal gray color).

I use oranges frequently in my eyeshadow looks as I am very pale with VERY yellow undertones. It's actually insane how yellow I am. Orange looks very good with my undertones, and my green eyes. I am also notorious for smokey eyes and red lips. I unapologetically rock that look every chance I get. The shadows I picked up were intentionally purchased to use as transition shades in these two favorite looks of mine.

These shadows are not disappointing! I believe the only people that dislike them are probably wanting more pigmentation, but the name is "softies" for crying out loud! It's pretty safe to assume they are going to be on the "softer" side of pigmentation. On the website it claims that these provide a light wash of sheer, crease-free color.

I highly recommend these for transition shades! The crease-free claim is absolutely true, so these are perfect for the job. You don't have to worry about getting too much shadow in your crease, and it blends beautifully. I have no problem building up the color either.

I intend on going back and purchasing a brown and a cream color, and maybe an all over the lid shade as well, for light makeup days! The price is right, and you can always get coupons!

If you are looking for high pigmentation, look elsewhere. Also, if you are just starting to wear makeup, look elsewhere! Yes, I said it! There is no need for you to buy lightly pigmented, single shadows if you are a beginner. That's just crazy. Buy these if you need transition shades, that is a great use for these shadows, otherwise, they are not necessary in your collection.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2014 5:33:00 PM More reviews by HWL

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I had lilac forever and finally made it work and got some more. They look vibrant in the package, so It wasn't what I expected. They aren't vibrant, they are sheer and blend well. The top layer covers or keeps the cream powder looking bright in the package. That wipes off fast. It's not a cream shadow but a creamy powder. Even the most shimmery are not so intense, though some have a lot of shimmer. Soft brushes don't work as well as fingers and a stiffer brushes, but these do blend well. Primer is needed. I wanted a very bright lilac lid as my eyes are hooded and I wanted to make the lid pop. The effect is more subtle. You can smoke t out and not look too 70's. These are suitable for teens, older women and work. There is no wow factor. Works best with fingers. It's an easy look. I got more colors, once I decided I did like them. Then I have hooded eyes. Not doing eye designs, but trying for some brightness on the lid (some shows) and some smoking over the crease. I have some lines there and many es don't blend easily. I like some shading above the crease. These work well on the lid and above. The staying power isn't great, but you could cary them and reapply with fingers easily. These are not good for fancy eye designs. They aren't vibrant enough.

Creme brule - is glittery, but not much of the white color, but it's not overly intense.

lilac- is very faint. Feels more creamy Actually looks nice above and in the crease than on the lid as weird as that sounds. It's faint but gives a nice wash. Quite nice.

hot fudge, has some shimmer, but is a dark brown that is spreadable and still sheer

Grape, I think is matte and is nice.

Somke- is matte charcoal color that is great for smoking, especially if you are a little nervous about doing it. Won't end up looking like dirt.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2014 3:19:00 PM More reviews by MelissaLovesHerMakeup

I was afraid to try these shadows, owing to the negative reviews, but I loved this so much, I had to add my own review! I used the shadow in Lilac yesterday (this is my first product review, so I have to figure the site out to add a new stand-alone review. Sorry.), and not only did it last through a grueling workday, when I was preparing to cleanse my face at 2:00 am, the shadow was still there, as fresh as when I first applied it! I did not experience even a tiny amount of creasing!

I have normal skin, and my lids are not oily, so take that into account if you want to try the shadows. I prepped my lids with a touch of Laura Geller Spackle. (It was her regular face Spackle, not the kind especially formulated for eyelids. When I apply Spackle to my face, I always add a touch to my eyelids.) I used my index finger to apply the eye shadow all over my lid, and that was that. I lined with Laura Geller Inkwell liner in Purple (the two colors of the shadow and liner look lovely together), and I used CoverGirl Clump Crusher mascara to complete the look. I will most definitely use this shadow again and again! I will buy more when mine is depleted, but I have a few of the Lilac in my makeup bag.

The teardrop packaging is cute, but the color names are printed very small, and only on the back of the label. You get a fair amount of product. As far as pricing, I've seen them in stores for around $5.00 each, give or take a few cents, but I purchased several on eBay, and I paid $3.00 or so for six of them (what a bargain!).

I believe that the primer was helpful in keeping the color in place. The texture of Almay Shadow Softies is unlike regular powder eye shadows. I have other colors that I'll be reviewing, but the Lilac is a hands-down winner in my experience. I can't wait to try ALL the colors!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/10/2014 11:07:00 PM More reviews by MsKacey

I purchased two of these: Smoke and Vintage Grape. Excited, I tried Vintage Grape the very next day while getting ready for work. when I first opened the package, i was immediately weirded out by the jello-like texture. after prepping my lid and loading an applicator, i tried applying and NOTHING. barely there, if anything it was working like an eraser and wiping OFF my primer!! after trying with my finger i noticed a tiny bit better results so opted that route. ended up giving up and covering it with my normal go-to shadow. i don't understand how anyone would like these. definitely would not recommend.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2014 6:27:00 PM More reviews by mom2go

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I like to have one very dark brown matte eyeshadow in my arsenal. They are such multi-taskers. So I bought this Almay shadow in "Hot Fudge," which, in the pan, looks like a perfect dark brown.

What a shock when I tried it on. There is NO color payoff. Even with multiple layers, there is only a very subtle brown-ish wash. I don't know if the other shades are this wimpy, but based on this experience I won't be purchasing again.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/18/2014 7:28:00 PM More reviews by Megzimo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of these, first of all they have a layer on them that make them seem better the. They actually are but when you get to the actual product they aren't very good. The consent is very creative but they aren't very "soft" and "bouncy" at all unless you dig your finger in them and by that time the product is pretty much useless. They are also very poorly pigmented and don't layer very well with other eyeshadows. I will say for the someone who isn't looking for something special it might be fine they blend fairly well and they work well without a brush for me I wouldn't repurchase it but it may work for someone else.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2014 11:09:00 AM More reviews by rays

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't know what all the complaining is about. Bought 3 of these in honeydew , smoke, and lavender. I love a light flush of color and this is it. I have green eyes so these are great colors for me. I used a thick liner brush with the smoke and lined my eyes but it was so subtle. I like to wear makeup so the lines don't look very distinct.I love the blended look.This product is great for that.The honeydew is just great for greeneyed gals. I intend to try more colors. It's a cross between a powder and a cream but not too creamy.I hate heavy makeup so this is my dream.No smell what so ever which my sensitive eyes love. Gorgeous colors.6 colors are matte so watch which ones you buy.For the 4 bucks per shadow i got a bargain.Love them

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2014 10:50:00 AM More reviews by Suesaroo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Just picked this up at Target with the recent coupon for $1 off. I really like it. Great color and buildable. Not sure just which brush to use with it so I am experimenting. I have tried more Almay in the year and their shadows have come a long way.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/1/2014 4:01:00 PM More reviews by glamgirl31

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought these in the shades Smoke, Vintage Grape and Lilac. Smoke isn't horrible, it's just ok. The color is a dark charcoal/taupe with a hint of brown. I've used this shade a few times as a contour for my crease. The other two are horrendous. The Lilac is a frosty light lavender, which I thought looked pretty in the pot. As soon as I applied it, I regretted it. The sparkles in this are so chunky that I had fallout that was unattractive and painful! Literally! The chunks of sparkle got in my eyes, causing them to turn beet red. The Vintage Grape is a deep purple with less sparkle than Lilac. Unfortunately, there was no color payoff. I kept Smoke but tossed the other two. I used to love Almay's eye shadows but in the last 3 years they've really gone downhill. I will never repurchase an Almay shadow.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2013 11:27:00 AM More reviews by Meriel65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was rather excited to see this at Target the other day. I am usually not a "packaging snob" but Almay has always been so boring. Packaging can be simple and utilitarian but not always boring, you know? Plus Almay sells shadows in palette form and you are stuck choosing a set that has maybe one color that actually works well with one's skin tone, and the rest are just useless. At least that is what has always prevented me from buying eye color from Almay. (And I don't mean to bash Almay: TLC foundation in Buff is the best ever and the only foundation I've bought multiple times.)

The new product has a rather limited shade range, but the colors are all gorgeous. I had a gift card and I thought: why not? So I bought the shade in Smoke. And it's a beautiful color! A medium taupe/gray with just a hint of shimmer. But goodness: the texture! The ad for this read "Whipped" so I thought it might be a mousse or cream formula. Nope. The surface before I dipped in looked exactly like it was a powder. Nope. It has this weird, putty-like consistency.

I have since done some on-line research and people all say the same thing: This is an odd hybrid that basically does NOT work, which is sad because the colors are lovely. The color payoff is very sheer which is OK for a wash or whatever, but to achieve even that takes much effort. The texture of this prevents the use of a brush or even a traditional foam-tipped applicator. You can't really pick up product. You must use your fingers, but then that prevents any sort of fine-tuned application, say, as a liner.

I am rating this a 2 in spite of all its deficiencies because the color is so lovely. Maybe someone can figure out how to use this more effectively. I had wanted to get the purple shades as well because they are so beautiful but nope--not gonna happen. The packages are nice and sleek this time around, but Almay needs to go back to the drawing board on this one.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No