Smashbox photo op eye brighting mascara

3.6

on 6/4/2015 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really like that the brush isn't huge. I don't really see the blue tone in the mascara. Does it make my eyes brighter? No, I don't think so. It does apply easily. I have very sensitive eyes and I feel as though ever so slightly it might be a tad irritating to my eyes. Didn't really give me a dramatic look and didn't really curl that much either. I don't know. There are better mascaras out there.

on 1/3/2015 11:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

So I got this as part of a free gift thing when I bought a lipstick (Smashbox employees were at Ulta and were giving away free samples if you bought a full-size item! Fun!). Anyway, I think it's pretty great. It claims it's 3-in-1 in the online Ulta description and mentions curling capabilities but I'm not sure what the other 2 things are because for me it really just lengthens. I'm looking in the mirror and I don't really notice my lashes being any more curled than normal (and I normally don't use my eyelash curler ever cause I'm a REBEL). It also claims to be eye-opening; the Smashbox employee girl said it has teeny teeny sparkles that suggest a brighter eye and Ulta says PATENTED BLUE PRISM TECHNOLOGY (FANCY WORDS)! Honestly, I don't notice any magical happenings with this mascara that make my eyes appear brighter but I will say that it comes with a good brush with natural bristles and has a decent formula. I can get two coats on cleanly. It dries decently quickly and I don't get any flaking or smudging throughout the day. Full size is $21 which is on the pricier side but if you're gonna splurge then I would consider this one.

on 8/13/2014 12:55:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

So I know this mascara doesn't get mentioned a lot to begin with but I saw it at sephora and really liked the type of brush and what it mentioned it would help do.

It says the mascara itself is black but has blue specs to help show off the whites of your eyes making them appear brighter. I would say that it actually did do that somewhat. Not trying to toot my own horn, but my eyes are one of my better features on my face already kind of bright on their own, so I'm not sure if that means this will do what it says with all different eye types. I thought the formula was pretty good as well, not too dry/flaky and wasn't to runny. And it did have a medium regular size applicator brush that I prefer over all the fancies ones out there now. (packaging also sleek just a nice black tube then blue lining when you open it) It does do a decent job also at thickening and some length, no spider effect, phew. Not too hard to get off at night either.

Now to the bad..and why I had to actual return it :( sadly although I thought the formula was not very runny, I noticed I was having black under my eyes half way through the day. One night I was out with some friends I came back and had thick black line under my eyes! (I usually apply only a normal amount of mascara so I know its not applying thats the issue.) I was hoping maybe it was some eye liner that I had used or something else; but sadly one day I knew since I had no eyeliner or anything else with it, that it was the mascara. So for that fact alone and it being $20 I knew I couldn't keep it if I couldnt wear it throughout the day!

Guess if it doesn't for you it'll be good!

on 2/5/2014 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I got this in my mascara sampler kit. All the other smashbox mascaras I've tried before seem to bother my eyes and this one was no exception (I don't even wear contacts). I found it would just flake and irritate my eyes about 6 or 7 hours into the day. The brush was also mediocre - nothing special. Not sure what's supposed to be "eye brightening" about it, but I will not be redeeming my sampler coupon for this one!

on 1/26/2014 3:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my HG mascara. I first tried it as a sample in the SDM Sample Box, and fell in love with it. Sorry Hubby ;) Seriously though, it really is fantastic. It gives great length, very impressive volume, it doesn't smudge clump or smear. It really brightens the eyes as well. I only wish it didn't cost so much, but it is worth it.

on 1/10/2014 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Nice formula. Smooth and even application. After the 1st coat - lovely length...After the 2nd coat - volume built up in a very clean NON clumpy manner. I really like this mascara. It was part of the SDM Sampler (Canadian's know what Shoppers Drug Mart is) and I would def re-purchase this mascara in full size. It makes my eyelashes looks so long, full yet healthy (if that makes any sense), clean like. It also curls my lashes and I do not need my curler (which I don't always use everyday anyways, depending on the mascara). Oh and I like how it feels light on the eyelids like I'm not even wearing mascara yet when I look in the mirror I have a full set of long and plush lashes. It's a really beautiful mascara.

on 1/2/2014 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I got a deluxe size of this mascara with the smashbox wondervision palette.
The only thing I enjoyed about this mascara unfortunately was that it holds a curl and that it doesn't smudge or flake.
The formula was so dry I took a long time to layer enough mascara onto my eyelashes. Additionally the mascara did not provide me with enough volume or length. It just made my eyelashes look blacker and held the curl I used with my eyelash curler.
I have Asian lashes so this may be a factor...but overall I would not recommend this to anyone nor would I repurchase.

on 12/24/2013 10:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I got this as a free sample from Ulta and I am VERY impressed!

I have longer lashes, which always spells trouble for me when purchasing mascara. Actually, I'd stayed pretty clear of all mascaras before I came across this gem.

It separated and coated my lashes quite well, and made my eyes look extremely alert and bright, though it may have been bit heavy for day time.

I'll definitely purchase a larger tube when I run out of the sample!

on 12/20/2013 8:26:00 AM

I got this as a sample with my Sephora points. I've never used any smashbox macaras in the past but this maybe a formula I may keep in my collection.

Smashbox states this formula will open up and brighten your eyes. When you open this you will see a very dark blue color to the product. Not the normal "mascara" blue you see with the old Mabelline color formulas (bright) but definitely blue. They call this brightening black and it does go on your lashes as black with a very faint blusih tint. The brush is large and the wand is a little "bendy" not as bad as the mega plush mascara which I do not like. The formula is a bit wet and I had to wipe the end of the wand. I have pretty decently long lashes this did add a bit to the lenght but I did not notice a lot of thicking. My eyes did look a little bit brighter. The formula is nice but nothing I would consider dramatic or over the top. I think if I'm having a tired eye or allergy eye day along with nude or blue eye pencil it would make my eyes less stressed looking. The formula did not bother my eyes and I had no problem with flaking so it worked with my contacts.

I will be trying this with one of my more thicking mascaras over the top to see how it works with layering and will update then. Bottom Line right now, Yes it's a good mascara. BUT if you found a formula you love I wouldn't rush out to buy this. It's expensive and really you can use a blue or Nude pencil in your waterline and get the same effect. However if you can't use product in your waterline or want the extra boost with tired eyes or heavier eye makeup this might be a good alternative for you.

Top Rated Smashbox Products