November 23, 2014 | 999 users online

Fragrances - Bath and Body Works - Velvet Sugar

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2014 4:42:00 PM More reviews by LexiClarice

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this fragrance! I've used half the bottle and passed it on to my daughter because it's the perfect scent for her. Reminds me of sugar, bubblegum, and a little vanilla. The packaging is really cute, too,

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2014 1:21:00 PM More reviews by 04x13

I lovvvveee this! I'm not a fan of smells that are sweet but this is an exception, I always get compliments when I wear this. It's incredible.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2014 1:17:00 PM More reviews by sproctor1999

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

love love love!!!! this is amazing. i wear it instead of perfume and it smells great and the scent doesn't fade away quickly like most. perfumes do. its a tad pricey but so worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 5:31:00 AM More reviews by Heyitskristina

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this smell sooo much! It's perfect for valentines day or a date or something. Like every bath and bodyworks mist it comes in a really big bottle for only 14$. It's one of my favorite smells from b&bw

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2014 1:13:00 AM More reviews by tinarae

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Review of Velvet Sugar fine fragrance mist *FFM
I was skeptical at first about this newbie. BBW has not been able to impress me since my most recent favorite was released. (Be Enchanted-and it took me a little while to fall in love with that scent...the dry-down is what hooked me) Velvet Sugar was one I had to try for sure, since I am a lover of sweet scents. The staying power is great on fabric- spritzing the mist up my shirt made it last a long time! I also spray up above my head and shake my hair, as the most falls in. The scent stays in my hair quite a while!
My skin doesn't hold onto the scent as well though. Layering with the triple moisture body cream does enhance results. I love how this fragrance is composed. I do smell the fruity top notes, and the dry-down is lovely. This may sound totally crazy, but there is something in the Velvet Sugar FFM and Triple Moisture Body Cream that is reminding me of the sweetness in my Cool Water perfume from 2000. (Throwing in the year, as I am not sure if it has ever been reformulated, and could smell different now.) The packaging is prettier than what I am used to from BBW, I really like the lacy look with the Velvet Sugar line! I will definitely repurchase this, if it is still available when I run out!!! Deee-lish!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2014 10:40:00 PM More reviews by NicoleM96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

There seems to be some negative reviews on this scent and I can understand them, but I do love this spray. I purchased the 5 dollar big bottle when it was on sale which was a steal. I love the amount of product, and the packaging is pretty cute. Its a pretty sweet smell but sugar is in the name so I was expecting that. Maybe a little more mystery and musk would have made a nicer velvet touch to this but I cant complain. I probably wouldnt repurchase full price though.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2014 8:44:00 AM More reviews by Silmarien

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was so sad last year when i discovered that "Strawberry Sparkler" was only seasonal and likely never to be seen again. I loved it, and wore it daily all last winter, during the time my bf and i were falling in love. And he too fell in love with the scent. It was "our" scent. He loves strawberries and i love those girly 'sugar' scents so it was a match made in heaven. And while it had been manufactured for New Year's, it became our "Valentines Day" scent. His first Valentine card from me is even sprayed with it, and he has confessed to have sniffed it happily throughout the year.
When i walked into my local B&BW this holiday season, a beautiful aroma enveloped me. Sweet, romantic, beautiful, and familiar. It was coming from the Velvet Sugar display. I had gone in to buy Sweet Pea (which evokes memories of far longer-ago holiday seasons for me because of its raspberry notes, which remind me of my father's holiday punch, so i always want to wear Sweet Pea at this time of year) but lingered awhile at the Velvet Sugar table, testing everything and having a lovely time. My bf was with me and he was loving it too (for a guy he is very in tune with scents, more than most guys). So i bought some, and the Sweet Pea, and Be Enchanted (which i will review soon also).
When i got home i looked up the notes online. Lo and behold - "wild strawberry" is the top note. And the more i wore it, the more i fell in love, and remembered WHY i loved it. I remember telling my bf that Velvet Sugar was indeed Strawberry Sparkler - re-incarnated, re-packaged, and re-introduced as a keeper in the B&BW line (where i pray it stays, forever!).
I also think it may be just slightly re-formulated, but in a good way. It now has a little more of the floral complexity underlying the "fruit". Now bear in mind i am a lover of fruity-florals and the fruitier the better. I also like "simpler" scents and those that are fun and all sweetness and light. Those who are fans of those heavy, old-fashioned, "mature" fragrances will probably not like this, but the feeling is mutual. Fragrance is a very subjective thing. There's no right or wrong, just, does it make you happy? And if like me you are a fan of all things light, sweet and fruity, this one delivers.
Thank you, B&BW, for bringing back the scent that the love of my life & i fell in love to. <3

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2014 10:18:00 AM More reviews by UrbanObsession

Bought the body spray for $5, a steal and I wouldn't repurchase it. Underwhelming and I don't get the "red velvet" note at all, just artificial sugary candy with a hint of raspberry. It's very juvenile and reminds me of my very first signature scent in 6th grade--B&BW Plumeria, a purely girly and sweet scent. In a way, velvet sugar is pure nostalgia for me, it brings me back to my younger years and is an uncomplicated scent that fades away within a half hour, but it pleases the kid in me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2013 8:31:00 PM More reviews by Anya1976

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is an ok scent. I didn't buy the EDP I bought fragrance mist since I wanted to try it out. I was in B&BW and they had a mix and match anything sale so I bought three things and got three things. the display caught my eye. I sniffed it and it seemed ok for casual use. not sure how long it lasted on the skin though but since it's a mist I don't expect all that long which is why I would only use it for daytime use.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2013 10:24:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

A different unique bottle this time for the newest introduction hitting the shelves just in time a few days before Christmas. It's actually quite eye-catching with the little sprayer. I picked it up from the display and it promptly fell off the bottle. The SA told me children had been playing with it, but since the bottle was at a level of 5'10" high, I wondered how old the children were. When I tried to spray it, the atomizer had difficulty releasing the perfume. The SA admitted there was difficulty with the operation of it.
Imagine what sugar crystals or rock candy would smell like. That's what Velvet Sugar is. It's exceedingly sweet. Frankly, I can't believe this is marketed towards adult women at such a price point. This is more of a fairy-tale, Disney child's fragrance. It's pure candy in a bottle. Not that candy doesn't smell good. It does. But Velvet Sugar lacks sophistication and blending of its notes. What exactly is "Red velvet cupcake" as a note? "Sugared musk" comes across as sugar without the musk. I seriously did not get any other notes. Velvet Sugar just smells so sugary that the sweetness overtakes anything else. When I said sweet, I meant sweet.
Plopping the word "Velvet" in front of "Sugar" certainly is a misuse of words designed to attract buyers at the last minute before Christmas. The SA told me they didn't have minis available for purchase, only the Eau de Parfum's which is retailing at $39.50. Bath and Body usually rolls out a signature fragrance with an introductory trial mini, but not this time. You do the math for the wandering male walking into the store hitting this display first....
Top Notes: Wild Strawberries, White Nectarine, Pear Blossom, Apple Nectar.
Middle Notes: Pink Jasmine, Golden Plum, Red Velvet Creme, Dewey Honeysuckle, Freesia.
Base Notes: Golden Amber, Vanilla, Tolu Balsam, Caramel, Baileys Cream, Sugared Musk.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No