Almay Softie eyeshadow

3.0

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

These are funny little shadows you're either going to love or hate, as you can see with these reviews. I didn't even know they were a cream/powder hybrid until I read it here, and only got them because of a 40% off Almay sale and because I finally got bored with UD Naked Basics I and II (but wasn't ready to "cheat" on them with the high-end stuff). You have to be a fan of a very sheer wash of color, though, or don't even bother. There are probably about 10 shades in this "softies" line, half somewhat matte or satin, half very shimmery. The shimmery ones all look very colorful--lilac, sea foam, moss green, pale blue, apricot, peachy/nude. The matte ones are neutral and darker, in grey, chocolate, and grape, with the exception of Cashmere, which is a bone/vanilla. The packaging is nice, and looks more like MAC than Almay--a little black hinged case in a sort of tear-drop shape, with a window to see the color. I am really enjoying playing with these, especially the matte/satin ones, and especially Cashmere, which I'm finding to work like magic on my "mature" lids. Applied with a finger, it does a great job of canceling out veins and providing a blank canvas, but also makes the skin look incredibly fresh! Instant eye-lift! Anyone over 30 should try this one, even at full price (under $6). I'm using the other matte/satins on top, on the lid and in the crease. They blend easily, and last very well with minimal creasing. The shimmery ones are a different story, though, because there is more shimmer than color in many of the shades offered. Moss and Lilac have finer shimmer, and apply better, with some sheer color balancing the gleam, and work well as lid colors. The peachy/nude (creme brûlée) and the honeydew have much chunkier shimmer and look like almost pure shimmer on my lids. Creamy shadows can cause milia on my lids, but I've given these the month-long test, and they've been fine. These are fun to use, and an inexpensive way to play with some colors you might not normally use or buy, and nice on dry winter skin. And Cashmere is a GEM!

I bought "vintage grape" and "petal" these are easy to use and provide a light sweep of color. These are my go to summer shadows when I want a soft not too made up look. They don't build well, and can't do anything dramatic.

These eyeshadows are really cute and they are called SOFTIE EYESHADOWS soooo they only have a wash of color. They are good for ppl who want a soft eye look...you wont get a dramatic look with these...they are very soft and smooth and most of the colors are sheer.. i personally think they are a bit on the high priced side for a wash of color..and in my experience u will definitely need a primer if you want these to stay on your eyes.. I not gonna purchase anymore of these bc i personally have no use for them..but if you arw someone who likes light eye looks then i think you will like these

Creme brulee - pretty sheen but no pigmentation at all.

This is one of the worst eyeshadows I have ever bought. It is incredibly chalky and has no pigmentation. I would not recommend this to anyone. I'm going to throw mine out

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I expected more of a color pay off as they're on the more expensive at the drug store, however, they are much better then many Maybelline shadows and CG etc on my particular eyes. Great for the day time b/c they are so subtle. Very pleased that there's no sparkle or shimmer whatsoever. I have light-med brown / beigey skin so I purchased "Peach Fuzz" & "Sea Foam". They do not really show up on my dark lids, so I need to apply 2times, maybe even 3times over. I do like that they do NOT irritate my eyes nor is there any fallout like I get from so many other brands. High and low end eye-shadows often irritate my darn allergy eyes. The Body Shop still is my fav for shadows in every aspect and I will just spend the few extra bucks next time. But, they won't go un-sed as I can still wear them for work (even the blue / turquoise one).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

This stuff does not blend. It is a mess. Good concept; bad implementation

I must admit, the name of these drew me in--I just love the idea of a soft, colorful wash of shadow. I have such trouble with drugstore eye shadows, but I don't have the budget for more expensive brands. These are perfect! I have the Lilac shade. It's not a cream, not a powder, somewhere in between. I've found that brushes do not give the full impact of the color. These are much more colorful when applied with a finger--kind of messy, but worth it. I get a nice, subtle shade of color that's very easy to wear--and no sparkles! I'm so disappointed when I get an eye shadow that is just all sparkle and no color. I will definitely try more colors in this line--maybe Smoke, as I've been looking for a taupe-grey neutral shade.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Unfortunately, this eyeshadow didn't work out for me. I prefer eye products that are more pigmented, and this was just too sheer for me personally. I couldn't get the shadow to show up enough.
I don't like writing a review that's completely negative. The good thing is that I got this on sale, so I'm not too disappointed that it wasn't for me. The little teardrop-shaped cases that this comes in are cute.
Long story short, if you want a smooth, pigmented eyeshadow, don't buy this.

I love these so much that I created a profile just to review them. I have been eyeing these off at my local drug store for some time, but due to reading so many negative reviews I held off on buying them.

I purchased Smoke, Honeydew, Creme Brulee, Hot Fudge, Lilac, Petal, Seafoam, Smoke, Moss & Peach Fuzz. These shadows remind me of Play-doh in the pan, but they go on like a powder and give a very very soft look. I used a primer and Painterly paint pot as a base. I had no issues applying the shadows with a brush, the color payoff was soft, but not so soft that they couldn't be seen. My favorite look so far is Smoke all over the lid, and smudged along the lower lash line, with Hot Fudge in the outer corner, Creme Brulee as an inner corner highlight and gently patted over the Smoke on the eyelid.. The finished result is an incredibly quick, easy and foolproof smoky eye. Seriously, anyone that is pressed for time or unsure about how to create a smoky eye could not possibly go wrong. These shadows would work well for a school look.

The brushes I used were the Smashbox double ended brush from the Full Exposure Palette and the Sigma pencil brush.

Lilac all over the lid and Seafoam through the crease is also really nice.

Top Rated Almay Products